[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Reality Diver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iAi2yvSZE

Supposedly works with the Google Cardboard but I can't seem to get it to work properly on my phone?
>>
File: 1426729576632.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1426729576632.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>13543967
>Google Cardboard
>mfw op isn't trolling
>>
>>>/g/
>>
>>13543967
Worked on my Moto G, but the video resolution was nasty. The 360 degree video + 3D effect was still pretty impressive though.
>>
>>13543967
There is a heavy amount of GiTS in here
>>
>>13543967
Never mind, got it to work.

>>13545226
Resolution is shitty if you stream it, it's better to download it.
>>
Speaking of Cardboard, and I'm sure this is a /g/ question for /g/ to mock me over (because >Cardboard >VR) but whatever, any recommended cardboard viewers to look for?

I've been eyeing UC2.0+ because of headstrap but I dunno if there's something more bang for my buck in the ghetto viewer department.

Phone's a Galaxy S4 if that matters.
>>
>>13545873
>Resolution is shitty if you stream it, it's better to download it.
Is there any good way to view 360 degree 3D when playing from a local file?

Also, the blocky images at high resolutions (4K and up) looked more video codec macroblocks, aka Google's VP9 being shit.
>>
>>13545914
AAA VR Cinema
>>
>>13545878

couldn't you just..make one?
>>
>>13546162
He'd still need the lenses, and if the contraption doesn't match the "official" design perfectly it could take tons of tuning in the Cardboard profile generator to avoid sore eyes and/or nausea.

Of course, if he's planning on using the thing for more than 5 minutes he'll probably have to do that anyway because the thing doesn't have any adjustments for absolutely critical things like distance between eyes, etc.

If you can get one to work just right it's surprisingly good, though. I'm looking forward to piloting virtual mecha wearing a Rift, Vive or something.
>>
>>13546162
Where do I source the lenses?
>>
>>13545830
No shit.
>>
>>13546162
https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/downloads/wwgc_manufacturers_kit_v2.0.zip

Besides the lenses already mentioned, you'd also need velcro, some sort of coating so that it doesn't chafe against your face, rubber band material to make sure your smart phone doesn't just slide out of the thing if you tilt your head, and probably a strap to keep it attached to your face.
>>
>>13546236
>Besides the lenses already mentioned, you'd also need velcro, some sort of coating so that it doesn't chafe against your face, rubber band material to make sure your smart phone doesn't just slide out of the thing if you tilt your head, and probably a strap to keep it attached to your face.

okay yeah the lenses are an issue but all that other shit can be got at the dollar store
>>
>>13546240
The lenses are the most critical issue, still.

The box is nothing more than a cradle to position the lenses at the magic distance away from the phone.
>>
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2881175/emerging-technology/diy-build-your-own-google-cardboard-vr-viewer.html

This looks like one of the cheapest ways to do it, but it looks like the lenses are still the biggest issue. Not sure if the magnet is strictly necessary either since it's apparently meant to trigger a feature of the app, but they probably aren't hard to get anyways. You also have the option of adding straps, padding, etc. to make it easier to use.

I might give this a shot, if only because it looks like it'll be fun, plus my dad's an optical engineer who can probably acquire the lenses pretty easily.
>>
>>13545873
>>13545226
What do you download it with?

Is there like an uncompressed version out there?
>>
>>13547832
http://www.clipconverter.cc/
>>
Looking at the official instructions again, it looks like a magnet isn't required, the "switch" thing has been moved to some sort of conducting metallic fiber "hammer" that goes somewhere else. So the link from >>13547632 is actually outdated since it apparently builds an older version of Cardboard.
>>
>>13550792
yeah you're supposed to use material that engages the capacitive touch screen (touch operations in Cardboard are essentially "any touch registered by the device acts as a click aimed at the center of the screen"), whereas the magnet had limited compatibility only with phones with magnetometers (or maybe it was Hall Effect sensors, had to be one of the two) and that ended up creating a list of compatible devices that didn't read something like "every KitKat-era smartphone ever made" making for a failure of the Google developers.
>>
>>13550842
Yeah, the "2.0" in the ZIP filename really should have tipped me off to the fact that I was looking at a Cardboard 2.0, but the spec sheets have a "Version 1" written on them so that made me think I was looking at 1.0. Thankfully, my phone has a gyroscope, accelerometer, barometer, plus compass (supposedly it's one of the newest phones out right now, but I don't use it much anyways).

Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me, but if this works out then the possibilities are really out there.
>>
>>13551079
A phone circa 2013 should be fine.

Or maybe I'm overestimating the capabilities of my Galaxy S4's then-contemporaries. Still, god bless Samsung and its feature creep fetish, with NFC support one can design a Cardboard viewer for it that, using an NFC chip, punts it straight into the viewer app upon insertion.

And then you just have to cut a hole in the front to expose the camera and now you have your even dumber looking Google Glass headset. Proceed to slam face into payment kiosk to use Android Pay for your shopping needs.

>/m/ - mobile phone technology
>>
>>13550842
The magnet was a horrible idea anyway. It only worked on phones that had their sensors placed in a certain way, and its presence meant that the VR libraries couldn't use the phone's orientation sensor (which usually involves a magnetic compass) to manage gyro drift via sensor fusion sorcery.

You don't absolutely even need the switch when going full ghetto, just poke a finger into the thing through the nose hole or something.
>>
File: 1126150041.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1778) Image search: [Google]
1126150041.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1778
Well, this is gonna be fun. And I also just found out that I'll probably have to buy the lenses online too, which means more delays and shit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.