[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you think of Gilgamesh?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: img000001.jpg (386 KB, 1132x1300) Image search: [Google]
img000001.jpg
386 KB, 1132x1300
Just read what's done and it's kinda weird, what did you guys think?
>>
you have a link? I'm not familiar with this project.
>>
>>13536399
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/gilgamesh-r14529
>>
>>13536395

It is too soon to give an opinion of value. And right now the translation seems to be on hold.
>>
it's enjoyable but odd at the same time. What's with all the Ishinomori threads lately?
>>
File: 26A.jpg (81 KB, 777x577) Image search: [Google]
26A.jpg
81 KB, 777x577
lucha olivera's version is better.
>>
>>13536395
I've got all 4 volumes of this somewhere in my house, so I've read through all of it. Honestly, it's not my favorite Ishinomori work at all, by far (and I’ve read quite a lot of his works, translated or untranslated!)
Sure, it's got some really neat concepts, and Ishinomori's art and panel compositions are still quite nice. Yet the plot itself isn’t really too engaging for me and I'm really not too fond of the characters to be honest. Tatsuya is an ass in quite a few scenes, he’s a lot less likable to me than most any other Ishinomori protagonists, and the Gilgamesh themselves are unsettling as hell. I also really dislike the treatment of poor Kiyoko in this, as well as another female character who’ll show up soon enough.
(The cover art for those particular volumes are still really cool. So interesting to see Ishinomori's character designs in such a realistic style, especially those hairstyles. They did some for Ryuu no Michi and Sabu to Ichi in the exact same style)
>>
>>13536395
Is this still being translated? I checked out the first chapter and the rape was just wtf, does it get any better also?
>>
>>13536395
I can't find the raws and I gave up on finding them.
>tfw raws are harder to find than translated
>>
>>13537007

Now I'm genuinely curious as to why people would be interested in this out of all things. Wish I could find the original Goranger manga.
>>
There's a anime for it?!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3083
>>
File: goranger gag manga cover.jpg (35 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
goranger gag manga cover.jpg
35 KB, 352x500
>>13537208
Oh, but why do you want to even read the Goranger manga? It's actually a bit bland and uninspired... That is until Ishinomori completely revamped the manga after the doing a much more short-lived, serious manga series. His revamped Goranger manga was a full-fledged comedy which turned the whole concept into an insane gag comic. You can really tell Ishinomori was having a lot more fun with the gag series, and I really doubt it’s what anyone just familiar with the tokusatsu ever expected!
>>
>>13537224
Yeah, but it's got barely anything to do with the manga.
>>
File: B40YJViIAAEENwx.jpg (42 KB, 307x408) Image search: [Google]
B40YJViIAAEENwx.jpg
42 KB, 307x408
>>13537368

That explains why the Goranger manga is already hard to find in japanese. I'm still really intrigued by it and how it differs from the show. I love how they've all got different body types in ishimori's artstyle.
>>
>>13537652
Well, by searching "goranger manga", you can find pictures that will give you a good idea of what some of the serious and gag manga pages look like. You might even be able to find RAWs if you look around enough. If you can't find any, you could even purchase the complete Goranger manga as a digital download, including the serious and gag series together. They're quite inexpensive, just 400 yen each and 1600 yen for the whole set. And ebooksjapan is nice in that it takes cards from other countries, and you can either read them in your browser or in their special ebook reader you can download.

http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/title/232550.html
http://ishinomori.jp/detail/index1.html
http://ishinomori.jp/

There's a fairly large collection of Ishinomori ebooks for sale, since they're a part of the big "Complete Collection" release. Definitely some titles missing here, but you can find a lot of well-know and obscure titles, and even check out previews of them.
>>
>>13537171

There you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h73b7o1u52ghvqx/Gilgamesh+Vol.+1.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0gsrgvbophf7c65/Gilgamesh_Vol._2.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vqdddt46dw8homq/Gilgamesh+Vol.+3.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v44jfwflgwqhfhs/Gilgamesh+Vol.+4.zip
>>
That the girl looks just like 003.
>>
>>13536395
I'm still waiting on the other volumes and wondering how much different the ending is from the anime. Obviously the sister dies much sooner from what's been translated.
>>
>>13536631
I don't know, but it makes me happy. The works of someone as great as him deserves discussion.
>>
>>13539812
That will be ages from now though. I doubt it'll be done anytime soon.
>>
Translator here, I'm almost finished another thing I'm working on then I'll be able to work on the next chapter of Gilgamesh. Life and other crap got into the way and well times been short.
>>
>>13539916
Thank for your work so far
>>
>400 pages per volume
this is brutal
>>
>>13536395
Finished volume 2. Definitely not the anime.

There's an ad for the Ryu trilogy.

The international titles are different from what I commonly see for translations.
>The Road of Ryu
>Ryu the Ancient Boy
>Ryu in the Another Planet
>>
>>13539942
Vol.4 has some extra stories, including one where Sambo from Genma Taisen and Cyborg 006 got recycled.
>>
I just read what's translated so far and I didnt have a problem with the characters. Tatsuya seems alright. Maybe I haven't really seen him at his worst yet. The Gilgamesh is intended to be unsettling so that's natural for him. I have no idea where the story is going, but the way it's set up makes it seem like it could be good.
>>
>>13539916

Thank you for working on this.
>>
>>13540040
It's basically
>white master race fights reptillian jews
the manga
>>
>>13539968

Hopefully we'll see the rest of it translated some day. Ryuu no Michi might just be my favorite Ishinomori manga.
>>
>>13540059

I am going to go ahead and look at the raws, but I know I can not wait to see the rest of it translated.
>>
File: qcyborg009-037.jpg (193 KB, 712x1114) Image search: [Google]
qcyborg009-037.jpg
193 KB, 712x1114
I've never read it but I have seen that guy before.
>>
>>13540134
Ishinomori is just a lazy hack who reuses faces.
>>
>>13540156
Makes me wonder how many people could be considered hacks if sameface is enough to count someone as one
>>
>>13540181
99% of writers and artists are lazy hacks.
>>
Oh dear god this looks horrifying
>>
>>13540206
You do realize that the anime isn't related to the manga in any way right?
>>
>>13540198
Who makes up the one percent then?
>>
>>13540198

Even the Guinness holder for most comics published by one author.
>>
>>13540040
Yeah, but then we're actually supposed to feel a bit sympathetic towards them as the story goes on... that didn't really happen with me. And as such, I still couldn't really feel too attached to these characters much, not like I could for characters other Ishinomori stories
>>
>>13540218
Not that this guy isn't being stupid, but you and me both know that quantity has nothing to do with quality.
>>
>>13540244
Or at least it usually doesn't.
>>
>>13540040
Yeah, but then we're actually supposed to feel a bit sympathetic towards them as the story goes on... that didn't really happen with me. And as such, I still couldn't really feel too attached to these characters much, unlike how I could for characters from other Ishinomori stories
>>
>>13540134
They use him as some kid in the 009-1 anime, and in the Skull Man one. Don't know how often Ishinomori himself used that guy.
>>
>>13540244
If the guy isn't trolling to get a rise out of threadgoers, it's not easy to really show some people the characters that aren't derivative since they tune out when you show his adult series or stuff that falls outside the shonen manga box.
>>
>>13540244

It also doesn't stand for laziness.
>>
File: 51HPF8TDRXL.jpg (42 KB, 475x358) Image search: [Google]
51HPF8TDRXL.jpg
42 KB, 475x358
>>13540213

Ishimori Pro is listed as the copyright holders
>>
>>13540286
True
>>
>>13540286
And Osamu Tezuka was the king of it before.
>>
>>13540309

Of laziness?
>>
>>13540299
He owns the story but he didn't write it and it's not related to the manga story at all.
>>
>>
>>13540328
I think he meant sameface. Star System and all that.
>>
File: lazy3.jpg (468 KB, 976x979) Image search: [Google]
lazy3.jpg
468 KB, 976x979
>>13540309
>>13540328

But that would be Lazy Matsumoto.
>>
>>13539968

The Road of Ryu is probably the most accurate translation. They got The Way of from the Complete Collection edition, which also translated Robot Keiji as Robot Cop, among other weird translations.
>>
>>13543486
Times like this make me wish Ishimoripro's english site were still around. I'm not sure all of their translations could be seen as most accurate or agreed upon but they had a list of the approved international titles for his works.
>>
>>13544178
Then why doesn't someone create one, it wouldn't be too hard. A blogger account and some nice templates will do the trick.
>>
>>13540359
The Star System isn't exactly same face though, it's him drawing thirty separate and unique faces over and over again in every story. It's the same "actors" just cast in different parts. His non-Star System characters are the sameface ones. Ishinomori doesn't recycle character designs as much as Tezuka did so while he draws faces just expressively as Tezuka, the actual faces themselves tend to blend together way more.

>>13540362
I don't think anyone beats Mitsuru Adachi for sameface, even he can't tell the protagonists of his story apart. People accuse Yas of having sameface issues when all his non-main characters and villains are these diverse and wonderfully cartoonish designs. He just draws all his protagonists like Amuro.
>>
File: ryujirohayate.png (153 KB, 240x814) Image search: [Google]
ryujirohayate.png
153 KB, 240x814
>>13544642

For one, Ishinomori didn't had names for the characters he recycled. And sometimes there would be similar characters design-wise, but they would not be quite the same. There's Jiro, Ryu and Hayate from Henshin Ninja Arashi, for example. They all have the exact same hairstyle. But Jiro has the more feminine, delicate features like 009 and Jun, Ryu is the most standard and Hayate is the roughest. It's subtle, but you can tell those are all different characters.
>>
I just finished Kikaider for the first time. That ending knocked it out of the park.I really like how it slowly devolves from MOTW to completely unpredictable. I need more Ishinomori in my life.
>>
>>13546360
Isn't there some Jiro lookalike in some one shot called The Century of the Fetus? But you are right in that though there are some recycled characters, there are plenty that aren't lifted from another or that are those blends.
>>
>>13547251
Read Robot Detective next
>>
File: kikaidercameos.png (685 KB, 687x971) Image search: [Google]
kikaidercameos.png
685 KB, 687x971
>>13548289

Yeah. Jiro, Rieko and Gill.
>>
>>13547251

I think the logical follow-up to Kikaider would be Inazuman.
>>
>>13536395
There's some allegation that Ishinomori got bored with Gilgamesh but had to keep it going for the serialization contract.

Reading through the later volumes, it wouldn't be a surprise.

It's apparently why there was no outrage about the anime being a different beast.
>>
File: gilgamesh_.png (622 KB, 1184x472) Image search: [Google]
gilgamesh_.png
622 KB, 1184x472
Cyborg 009's "The Dragon of Ishtar" is a bit infamous for recycling the whole human cloning/mummy theme from the Gilgamesh manga. In this, the clone brothers are instead called Enkidu and their creator is Gilgamesh.
>>
>>13553887

They look like a mix between Rufu, Gilgamesh and Apollo.
>>
Just finished the series
>open ending
fucking hell
>>
I don't get the ending can someone please explain what happened?
>>
>>13559004
Me too, I couldn't read all the walls of text.

It seems less grimdark than the anime though?
>>
>>13537171
Check PD. Most of the time, if it's not there, it's not online at all.
>>
>>13562857

But it's right here: >>13538385
>>
>>13557316
Never minded open endings in stories, for some reason
>>
>>13566835

Me neither. As a matter of fact, I love Ishinomori's twist endings. But I know they're not for everyone. Well, for stuff like Robot Keiji, I kinda wish there would be at least an epilogue. That's the only one I think it's way too abrupt. But I still like it regardless.
>>
>>13540299
Yeah, that anime was baboonshit crazy on top of everything else. I remember it being like an attempt at copying the atmosphere of EVA, but executed by a spastic chimp with a bedwetting fetish.
>>
>>13540339
I expected this to be the first reply.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.