[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some shows with remote controlled mecha and why are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1417782769679.jpg (46 KB, 397x468) Image search: [Google]
1417782769679.jpg
46 KB, 397x468
What are some shows with remote controlled mecha and why are they so rare?
>>
>>13526485
What about LBX and Build Fighters?
>>
>>13526500
Those aren't mecha, they are toys.
>>
Virtuaroids are piloted remotely, albeit not by remote control. If I remember correctly, it's more like a virtual reality thing.
>>
Gundam X
>>
Raijin-Oh sorta has that with one of the component mechs, but via a command center instead of a remote control.

There's also Giant Robo in general (of course), Daitesujin 17 (but with a helmet) and there was one episode of Super Robot Red Baron where the title robot had to be piloted with one for a little while.

>>13526500
>>13526503
On that note, Plawres Sanshiro and Medabots are part of that category. Although the latter more or less does the traditional approach at the very end.
>>
>>13526485
Giant Gorg comes to mind, as does Neo Ranga at least until it becomes piloted in the finale
>>
Gundam Wing
>>
I remember asking that question in the past and these were suggested for me.

Neo Ranga
Heroman
Robot Alchemic Drive
Steam Detectives
Gad Guard

As for why its so unpopular, I don't know. Kids don't find mecha cool any more so no Shota protagonists?
>>
I dunno why either, OP.

Now that we're in the age of the drone, that shit should be more relevant.
>>
>>13526581
Isn't Gorg sentient?
>>
>>13526723
Yes.
>>
>>13526560

Daitetsujin is sentient. The helmet is only to comminicate with him. But he has his own will.
>>
>>13526485
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's the dramatic element. When the protagonist is piloting/directly inside the robot, there's the greater stakes of 'you lose the robot, you die with it' as opposed to controlling it from a distance.

It's definitely possible to maintain that emotional investment/stakes (see Giant Robo and Tetsujin for two classic examples) but often it's just easier for showrunners to maintain that tension by putting their protag right in the thick of it with the robot.
>>
Tetsujin is pretty iconic, I guess a lot of authors/directors don't want to be seen as ripping it off? Kinda like how Go Nagai was originally going to have Kouji pilot Mazinger Z using a motorcycle but didn't want to rip off Kamen Rider, so he changed it to the flying Pilder instead.
>>
File: smalltetsujin.png (2 MB, 1338x968) Image search: [Google]
smalltetsujin.png
2 MB, 1338x968
>>13527085

In most Tetsujin stories, Shotaro does all the work himself. The boy is like 10 years old James Bond. Tetsujin shows up when it's too impossible of a feat to Shotaro to handle alone. Like fighting other robots, monsters, giant ants and other "giant" things. I say that because it gets ridiculous how inconsistent Yokoyama is about Tetsujin's size. Sometimes he's gigantic and can carry Shotaro on his hand, others he's just slightly taller than an adult man.
>>
File: Kamisama.Dolls.full.727722.jpg (1 MB, 1683x2399) Image search: [Google]
Kamisama.Dolls.full.727722.jpg
1 MB, 1683x2399
>>13526485
It's because piloted robots more closely connect the pilot and machine, which works very well thematically on varying levels.

Here's a more modern series about remote controlled mecha.
>>
>tfw everyone in this thread forgot Barattack

It's probably for good reason though, I'd assume.
>>
>>13527321
>tfw legitamately like Barattacks design
It looks alright to me. It having one of my favorite color schemes for giant robots doesn't hurt either, though.
>>
Piloted robots are essentially giant suits of armor. We treat Mazinger as part of Kouji's body: even if he isn't being physically injured by Mazinger losing an arm or taking a blow to the chest, he reacts in a similar fashion. When Amuro's in the Gundam, the Gundam effectively IS Amuro.

With remote-controlled robots it's different. The danger to the protagonist isn't there in the same way. You typically make the robot its own character, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the show, to make up for that.
>>
>>13527321
Not that it matters, since Luurah will remember what it is, and let everyone else know at the same time.

>>13527061
Ohh, alright then. H-S never went very far with it, so I wouldn't have known.

>>13527170
This just reminds me that the rest of it never got adapted. Damn it.
>>
>>13526485
Plawres sanshiro
>>
>>13527160
>testumanlet 28
>>
>>13528599
>Manlet Robo only 98 feet tall
>>
>>13527331
>It having one of my favorite color schemes for giant robots doesn't hurt either, though.

What, constantly changing?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.