[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you talk about Ishinomori more often /m/? All
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: Ishinomori.jpg (42 KB, 476x700) Image search: [Google]
Ishinomori.jpg
42 KB, 476x700
Why don't you talk about Ishinomori more often /m/? All of his works are really good.
>>
>>13520048
maybe if we had more translated works
>>
>>13520048
/m/ can't handle his works involving despair
>>
>>13520086

There's plenty already: http://bato.to/search?artist_name=ISHINOMORI%20Shotaro

Not even close to everything, but it's material enough to read. Including long running series like Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales.
>>
>>13520351

Also, this list is not complete. And those Cyborg 009 stories are out of order and outdated. This blog has all the remaining translated stories:

http://trunkschan90.tumblr.com/tagged/cyborg-009

It's from the same person who had the live journal dedicated to the complete translation of the series (Comixology/Tokyopop released only 10 out of 36 volumes).
>>
>>13520351
Has there been anyone to translate the early shonen Sabu and Ichi stories?
>>
>>13520413

Not yet, but there's RAWs available and the french edition included them. Most stories were also adapted for the 60s anime series Skaro is releasing. And talking about Sabu and Ichi, a new live action special was announced recently.
>>
>>13520086

If it's more of his manga you're looking for, here's a more concise list of most things that have been translated/scanlated.

http://forestofstone.tumblr.com/mangalinks

I highly recommend checking out the Ryuujin Numa shoujo short story collection. It's some of the most overlooked stuff of the entire bunch here, and they're pretty amazing. Ryuujin Numa itself is one of titles that people even started calling Ishinomori "The King of Manga" in the first place. The above site itself is also a nice resource for Ishinomori’s works in general, you should check it out sometime.
>>
Because tokushit isn't /m/.
>>
>>13520901
Good thing he has mangas with robots predominately featured in them then, eh?
>>
File: Robot Keiji Mother Robot.png (1 MB, 1300x1627) Image search: [Google]
Robot Keiji Mother Robot.png
1 MB, 1300x1627
>>13520901
>>
>>13520915
These mangas are tokushit, their robots don't count!
>>
>>13520992

Are you saying those manga have special effects?
>>
File: thutmose.jpg (248 KB, 976x1378) Image search: [Google]
thutmose.jpg
248 KB, 976x1378
I like his underappreciated works involving Magical Girls and Kid Detective Clubs.
>>
>>13521041
I think he's saying that since his mangas have toku shows along with them, they count as being partially toku, which is stupid.
>>
>>13521138

The manga barely has anything to do with the toku shows. They only share a basic premise.
>>
>>13521151
I know, I'm just telling you what I think his train of thought is. Shitposters do stupid things for stupid reasons, as I'm sure you know.
>>
>>13520048
Because you put people off when you shitpost in Nagai threads
>>
>>13521138
Yeah, didn't you know? Anything that's ever been adapted into live-action isn't /m/.
Gundam? Not /m/.
Appleseed? Not /m/.
Mazinger? Giant Robo? Gigantor? Not /m/.

Pretending something isn't /m/ because you dislike it, though? Totally /m/.
>>
>>13521235
There's a Mazinger live action?
>>
File: mazingerzmovie.jpg (124 KB, 600x914) Image search: [Google]
mazingerzmovie.jpg
124 KB, 600x914
>>13521240

Of course!
>>
>>13520048
>All of his works are really good.
Not really, no. All of his most representative works are the same bullshit, copy pasta x 100.
>>
>>13521456

Man, you're such a bad troll. Your arguments need to at least have some foundation based on actual experience with what you're attacking. That's what get fans mad. Next time try something like "Ishinomori can't do endings", that might work. The way you're doing it, it's so obvious you're just making a fool out of yourself.
>>
Mutant Sabu was kinda shitty
>>
>>13521495
>it's so obvious you're just making a fool out of yourself
ironing.jpg
>>
>>13521810

Oh, it did some quite innovative things for the time being the first manga featuring psychic powers. But I agree it's not one of the titles that aged the best. But I still like it a lot, especially Spy Hunter Sabu and the crossover with Sarutobi Ecchan.
>>
>>13521824
Do you know anything about Command X?

I hear it recycled the Sabu concept, but he was named Ken.
>>
>>13521310
What the fuck Spain, Red Baron isn't even remotely connected to Go Nagai.
>>
>>13520048
I'm waiting for payday to buy his Legend of Zelda (just got licensed in Krautland).
>>
>>13522488
One of his few translated works that I didn't particularly enjoy.
>>
>>13521813
It is pretty funny to see that coming from him of all people.
>>
File: Voiceluggers.jpg (34 KB, 450x335) Image search: [Google]
Voiceluggers.jpg
34 KB, 450x335
>>13520048
>All of his works are really good
ALL of them?
I beg to differ.
>>
File: xshinei.png (555 KB, 582x861) Image search: [Google]
xshinei.png
555 KB, 582x861
>>13522125

Yeah. It's a one-shot, but it's a nice one. It's actually closer to the previous shojo prototype version of Mutant Sabu than the more well known Shonen Sunday edition. Even the art seems to evoke that early era, despite being released on 1966.

But Mutant Sabu would show up again in Genma Taisen, Sennome Sensei, Sarutobi Ecchan (the 70s revival series) and others. There's also a brand new one-shot released in 1980 in a more modern style. Inazuman is also a partial remake of it, with some elements taken from Shonen Domei, which is also another series from the early 60s.
>>
>>13522949

The art is nice.
>>
>>13523101
It's alright. Not as good as the other stuff from him that I've read
>>
File: ichiromizukivoice.jpg (53 KB, 334x475) Image search: [Google]
ichiromizukivoice.jpg
53 KB, 334x475
>>13523024

It's supposed to be a parody and they have Ichiro Mizuki as the leader. That's enough for me.
>>
>>13523120
Not too sure about that.
>>
>>13521228
I made this thread to bait that anon out, but I sure as hell am not him. People who are seriously fans of the series that guy shitposts on would very likely already have knowledge and experience of Ishinomori anyway.
>>
>>13523101
It's fucking awful compared to what he normally does
>>
>>13523196

Of course, I totally didn't noticed a Ishinomori and Yokoyama thread showing up at the same time. But it's nice of you, thanks. You can thank me also for all Ishinomori works that got translated recently other than Legend of Zelda and the Comixology releases. I hope you enjoyed them all.
>>
>>13523404

Oh, my bad! I was not involved with Mutant Sabu as well. That got everyone by surprise.
>>
>>13523404
I did and I thank you very much for them. Now leave and never come back. Nobody wants you around, which I'm certain is probably one of the main reasons you "left" the scanlation groups you were in.
>>
>>13523412

Please, this is a family thread! Look for a DP thread somewhere, that's more up your alley.
>>
>>13523439
Just keep on shitposting and digging your own grave even deeper.
>>
>>13523404
>You can thank me also for all Ishinomori works that got translated recently
You were not involved with any of that.
>>
>>13523619

You can believe that if you wish. I know I was involved for sure. And if it depends on me, there's more to come. Not right now, but in a near future.
>>
>>13520048
A lot of them aren't translated. In fact /m/ is missing out on Inazuman Flash, it is easily the best tokusatsu of the 1970s (Skyrider and Ultraman Jack not withstanding)
>>
>>13524100

Oh, I agree with that! But the first 15 episodes of Daitetsujin 17 are also pretty good, if they kept that tone for rest of the series, could be my favorite. Same goes for JAKQ. Sadly, Inazuman Flash was one of the few to be able to keep consistent from the beginning to the end.
>>
>>13523024
Where do you even find Voicelugger raws?
>>
>>13523439
you're dumb as fuck, spic
>>
>>13524194

>>13523450
>>
>>13524210
http://www.garada.net/
>>
>>13524231

Huh, nice site. But I don't think it's for me, I'm not exactly a Dynamic Pro guy. Thanks, anyway.
>>
>>13524122
I thought it was consistently dark, supposedly there was budget problems. Plus the sidekick is a cyborg cowboy.
>>
>>13524282
Here's to hoping somebody picks it up, then. It's one of the many projects orphaned in Hikari-Senshi's fallout.
>>
>>13524282

Yeah, it was, and there's some really crazy avant-garde episodes among them. Like they took some cues from the episode Ishinomori directed for the first series. Makoto Arai was also a pretty nice change for a sidekick character.
>>
>>13524335

Well, it's a fairly short series, so there's hope if anyone has the interest.
>>
>>13520048
Okay, I'll bite. Anyone know what was up with the dolphin fixation in a bunch of his stuff? He seems to have some recurring motifs.
>>
>>13524457
Going to hazard a guess at it being because of dolphins being relatively intelligent and whatnot.
>>
File: dolphinworld.png (940 KB, 734x1040) Image search: [Google]
dolphinworld.png
940 KB, 734x1040
>>13524457

The Dolphin World chapter in 009-1 is pretty amusing. Naoyuki Konno said that was one of the stories that would probably never make it to the anime adaptation. I can't tell for sure where this fascination came from, but it's probably the same as his fascination with ESP, something that was in vogue in the 60s and he got very interested about. To the point of becoming a recurrent theme on his works.
>>
>>13524543
Japan had a fascination with ESP running up to the turn of the century.
>>
>>13524571
As is evident in many of our favorite chinese cartoons and taiwanese flipbooks
>>
File: 00027.jpg (134 KB, 522x800) Image search: [Google]
00027.jpg
134 KB, 522x800
>>13524571

Yeah, they had. And Ishinomori was the first to explore such themes on manga. It's even more recurrent on his SF titles than cyborgs or robots, contrary to the popular belief. I believe the first time was on the early Mutant Sabu prototype story for shojo magazine. Possibly inspired by John Wyndham novel The Chrysalids.
>>
Anyways I hate this kind of thread. Just some guy trying to self promote a site himself made. I mean, just be honest about that and ignore the trolls, fgs.
>>
>>13526023

What!?
>>
What are peoples opinions on the KR manga Ishinomori has made? I found the original to be pretty nice, though not the best, while Black was fantastic for the most part.
>>
>>13527189

Pretty much this. The original is good, but probably the most standard of Ishinomori's hero manga. I personally found Black to be great, it was my first Ishinomori's manga and had very lasting impact on me. But I know some people who couldn't engage with it for some reason. I can't explain why, though. Maybe it has something to do with the hype from the TV version, but I thought it to be much better. The show is just inconsistent with itself. Some great episodes, lots of boring and mediocre ones in the middle.
>>
>>13527273
My first Ishinomori manga was his Zelda one, which actually worked out pretty well for me, since it only got better from there. Ishinomoris KR works are actually the only KR things I've partaken of due to how short and good they are. Only thing I knew about Black going into is was that TB had some similarities to it.
>>
>>13527913
yeah back then I just wanted Zelda Comic, I had no clue who Shabadoo Uchinobuchi was.
>>
>>13527913
My first was probably Masked Rider, but the Zelda comic was probably my first real introduction to Ishinomori. I think it's a fun comic that manages to adapt a rather barebones plot from a video game in to a good action/adventure story. Ishinomori couldn't resist making a bitter ending for it, but that's a good thing in my book.
Later a I recognized his character designs in anime like Cyborg 009 and Kikaider. I was hooked.
>>
>>13527981
>Kikaider
Speaking of that, I have the five Comixology volumes, but I've seen some sources say that there are six. Is it incomplete, or am I good to go?
>>
File: taijinoseiki.png (763 KB, 621x995) Image search: [Google]
taijinoseiki.png
763 KB, 621x995
>>13529467

It's complete. The 6 volumes version is the old Sunday Comics edition. At the end of Vol. 6 there's a unrelated one-shot called Taiji no Seiki, featuring similar character designs to Kikaider. And that's pretty much the only reason it was included there, there's look-a-likes for Jiro, Rieko and Gill.
>>
>>13529535
Thank you, that's a relief to hear. Guess I'll get started on it tomorrow then.
>>
>>13529467
>Comixology
Speaking of which, I'd love to see the rest of their Cyborg 009.
>>
>>13532756

Not gonna happen. Ishimori Pro canceled the deal due to low sales.
>>
>>13532981
Understandable if a bit saddening.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.