[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motion Capture Control Systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Allenby.jpg (106 KB, 346x500) Image search: [Google]
Allenby.jpg
106 KB, 346x500
So, is there a reason why the Future Century is the only era that uses the Mobile Trace System? Because it seems like a much more logical method of controlling a humanoid machine the size of an office tower.

Is this a fanbase thing, where the fans will screech NOT MUH JOYSTICKS?
>>
>mobile trace
>logical

>Gundam takes one step
>pilot gets wanged off three sides of the cockpit and knocked clean out

UC has the most practical system. You just know jack about machine learning and robotics so you think thy manually control the limbs.
>>
>Reflexively scratch nose
>Tear face off
>>
>>13511735
>pilot torso held in place by mechanical arm like Gunbuster/Pacific Rim
Tah fucking dah.
>>
>>13511741
LOL
>>
I figure its because the pilot isn't strapped in at all and one good hit would bounce them around in the cockpit and injure them in a mildly more realistic setting than G.
>>
>>13511785
Then just do what >>13511746 suggested and have them secured by a harness. I normally wouldn't care too much about "realism" so long as the rules are internally consistent, but I just don't see how the joysticks could actually work unless there was a sentient A.I involved. And since Gundam Sentinel is the only Gundam series to actually have A.I equipped mobile suits, that's simply not the case.
>>
>>13511701

It's sensible provided you actually have a large enough room for the pilot to manuever for one-to-one motion. Or don't have them inside the actual mobile suit, and have it controlled remotely.

That most mobile suits in G Gundam (with a few obvious exceptions) are unusually small compared to other series, and that they're actually manned, leaves me thinking that no one in the cast is actually taller than about 1.3 meters, with the female cast members closer to one. That show has some scaling issue...
>>
>>13511701
It doesn't look as cool. I guess IBO has a good in-between, they hook up to the gundam directly so they can control it with brain thoughts or something. I think Turn A had a similar control system.
>>
>>13511814
What about mobile dolls?
>>
>>13512079
>brainwaves
They could just have the arms be controlled by gloves or something. Direct brain control seems unstable and with too many drawbacks.

>>13512104
>wasting valuable resources on glorified action figures
At that point, the opposing sides may as well just talk out their issues instead of wasting the metal throwing full scale gunpla at each other.
>>
>>13512079
>I think Turn A had a similar control system.
A lot of mobile suits after Zeta have some form of Biosensor where a pilot's thoughts can help control the machine to an extent. Newtypes are still the only ones that can use Psychoframes and Funnels though because they have special brainwaves or something.
>>
>>13511701
Well, it would certainly help with controlling the limbs, but how would you go about managing things like thrusters or built-in weapons? I guess maybe you could leave the mobile trace system on the hands respond to specific gestures instead of directly control the machine's manipulators. Kind of like how in Metroid Prime when you use the X-Ray Visor you can see that Samus selects firing modes on her arm cannon with specific hand positions. You think that could work?
>>
>>13512169
>instead of wasting the metal throwing full scale gunpla at each other.
If countries' and people's disputes could be resolved through Gunpla Battle, the world would be a better place.
>>
File: PacRim-JaegerInt.jpg (90 KB, 660x416) Image search: [Google]
PacRim-JaegerInt.jpg
90 KB, 660x416
The problem I've always had with the MTS was that the pilots aren't secured any kind of way, meaning unless the cockpit auto-reorients or has some kind of anchoring system, the pilots would get knocked around pretty hard. If they were secured some kind of way, say like with the Jaeger system, it'd work a little better.
>>
At least Daimos had its pilot sitting down.
>>
>>13512787
The Jaegers also solve the issue of how to control none analogue functions in the form of that center console there with additional buttons and stuff.
>>
Does anybody here remember Full Metal Panic? I think that had a really nice control system with arm movements being analogous to the pilot, but the pilots had additional controls to play with for auxiliary functions and leg stuff was not analog.
>>
>>13512999
It also helped that the ASs had AIs that could move the robot on their own when necessary.
>>
>>13512999
That worked out pretty well, yeah.

>>13514284
How?
>>
>>13511701
Only nigh invulnerable badasses borne from crapsack post-apocalyptic hellscapes are capable of effectively using mocap mecha without magical G physics in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujygm-qujQE

It's much easier to train pilots in the art of video gaming and supplement their skills with AI than it is to sculpt an army of spartan-esque martial arts masters who can outfight learning computers, even if that would be the single most epic faction in all of Gundam.
>>
This sort of thing intuitively feels like it makes sense, but in practice comes with many problems (desynchronization, environment reproduction, latency etc.) that, while perhaps not unsolvable, in solving this problems, you'll essentially have all the ingredients for a robot that can move more effectively on its own than by exactly mimicking the movements of a person.
>>
>>13511701
i want to cum inside allenby
>>
>>13512834
>The Jaegers also solve the issue of how to control none analogue functions in the form of that center console there with additional buttons and stuff.
But then how does the system know the difference between a movement you meant the robot to do, and a movement to reach for a control? Or is the Jaeger just poking at non-existent buttons all the time too, and we just didn't see it?

'Cause that'd be goofy as shit. Now I kinda wanna see it.
>>
>>13517723
Two pilots

one of the pilots mentally disconnects from the Drift Control system. Then pushes the button or does other things. While the other pilot is still controlling the motions of the jaeger body.
>>
>>13517723
Don't the pilots use the side they're not using to control? i.e. If they're controlling the left side they use their right hand to reach for the console.
>>
>>13517745
>>13517746
Well, I was talking more in general for a piloting system in a similar vein than for the Drift system specifically, but maybe.
>>
I want to know why they didn't use direct mental controls in Ghost in the Shell, for their mechas.
>>
Izana from Sidonia ten fingered hand, plus wetware integration is best system for controlling giant robots.
>>
>>13511746
Except that that requires a big room with enough space for the arm and for the pilot's movement. Jaegers were 70m, Gunbuster was 240m. Would such a structure really fit in an 18m Gundam?
>>
>>13511814
I don't know why but the idea of AI helpers like the Haro or Veda or a secondary helper like in BF makes perfect sense in gundam.

And it has lots of dramatic and toyetic opportunities.

>>13511735
That's fucking stupid. The cockpit control scheme is just fucking there for dramatic pourposes, if all of this bullshit about machine learning and what not was even close to true then the fear of people getting the best pilots in the series black box(or whatever the fuck it's called now) and the fucking dolls from wing would have been a thing in the series.
Not just some way to ramp up dramatic tension.

If they got the black box from a pilot like quattro(was that the name of char analogue in wing")or the guy from the second season of Age and installed it in a fleet of cutting edge ai controlled mechs that didn't have to be built around keeping the human pilot from dying then human piloting would have been a thing of the past.

Hell wars would have just been giant zergfests of ai controlled death machines raining metallic death from above.
>>
If I'm remembering right don't arm slaves from full metal panic use a hybrid system between a full body tracking and the classic mech cockpit?

They have slots they put their arms and legs into and move them to manipulate the machine as if it was an extension of themselves but the motions aren't a 1:1 translation. The cockpit is much tighter and restrains them in place and tracking is mainly used for the limbs.
>>
>>13517866
>That's fucking stupid. The cockpit control scheme is just fucking there for dramatic pourposes, if all of this bullshit about machine learning and what not was even close to true then the fear of people getting the best pilots in the series black box(or whatever the fuck it's called now) and the fucking dolls from wing would have been a thing in the series.
>Not just some way to ramp up dramatic tension.
>If they got the black box from a pilot like quattro(was that the name of char analogue in wing")or the guy from the second season of Age and installed it in a fleet of cutting edge ai controlled mechs that didn't have to be built around keeping the human pilot from dying then human piloting would have been a thing of the past.
>Hell wars would have just been giant zergfests of ai controlled death machines raining metallic death from above.
1. Minovsky interference completely obviates the Mobile Doll system or any drone analogue. Pre-war, pre beam weapon Federal ships carried 24 remote controlled drone fighters. Minovsky particles rendered them useless and they were retired long before the events of even Origin.
2. You proved my point about what you know. I'm talking specifically in the context of "how put limb where need be to do what pilot want". Literally just how the thing moves. You just turn the stick right or left and the entire MS does so. Amuro's learning computer was important because it was a much more complex system capable of learning how to best respond to specific terrain configurations and conditions on the fly and improving as it went along, something previous MS did not have. It was this acrued data that was then simply uploaded into the computers of other federal MS (that did not need the learning function) and the suits moved much more briskly and efficiently than they would have otherwise. It had nothing to do with battle tactics or fighting. Just movement.
>>
>>13514691
This looks like one of those parody anime-within-an-anime that show up occasionally.Like, when they're making fun of otaku.
>>
>>13517952
>1.Magic particles says it can't be done.
What's stopping them from making an anti magic particle shield or just making a small army of learnin computers that are using sub routines based on the black boxes of ace mech pilots and have newtypes control them from a distance.

Would be able to have a small army of invincible gundams slapping everyones shit.

2.The canon explanation makes fuck all sense and is just stupid. The fuck does moving a joystick and two pedals make a gundam do a backflip rull behind a fucking boulder while loading a gun then shooting over it's shoulder.
NONE of that shit makes any goddamned sense and no amount of stored subroutines and terrain judgement makes it any better.
LOGICALLY the black box should store all of their movements and reactions to certain situations as well so them just loading it up to a doll with anti magic particle shielding should work

Look, We just hand waive how utterly fucking silly it is because we're so used to it.
Just sit there and THINK about all that would need to be done to get that to do that and then think about how hopelessly ridiculously limited the control system. NONE OF THAT SHIT SHOULD WORK!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.