[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deus Ex thread. Am I only one who gets boner from this picture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: Deus-Ex-51.jpg (797 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Deus-Ex-51.jpg
797 KB, 1920x1080
Deus Ex thread. Am I only one who gets boner from this picture?
>>
>>13509905

I'd be a lot more excited if it wasn't a Deus Ex game, given that the story in them is eye-rolling terrible conspiracy shit.

Do those signs indicate that it's trying to do a segregation thing now too? Or is that just for detection purposes at a transport hub?
>>
I absolutely loved DX Classic and Human Revolution. I'm not sure how I feel about the new one. I hate the Deus Ex tradition of none of your choices from the previous game mattering since it's apparently mankind's destiny for everything to be terrible forever.

But hey, it might be good. And if not, maybe the Witcher devs will pull through with their cyberpunk thing.
>>
I liked Human Revolution, but after playing the original I can see why people tend to give it a hard time. There's just so much more to Deus Ex that isn't in HR.

Looking forward to Mankind Divided though.
>>
>>13509941
Yes. Apparently there's been a massive backlash against augmented people. They're being rounded up and placed in ghettos.
>>
>>13509941
>I'd be a lot more excited if it wasn't a Deus Ex game, given that the story in them is eye-rolling terrible conspiracy shit.

But that's the best part. Deus Ex always captures the conspiracy paranoia of the time they're made. That's why the first game is all about ILLUMINATI! MURDER-BASED POPULATION CONTROL! CHEMTRAILS!
>>
>>13509942
>none of your choices from the previous game mattering

Except that's not true. It was specifically JC's actions that led to the Collapse in the backstory of Invisible War.
>>
I keep forgetting that it exists, I don't want to wait till February for it though.
>>13509941
>I'd be a lot more excited if it wasn't a Deus Ex game, given that the story in them is eye-rolling terrible conspiracy shit.

You are no fun, it doesn't matter if you normie that eats up everything the media spouts or some /pol/tard that thinks the world is run by the jews, most people enjoy the idea that the world has a secret side that 99.99% of the world population won't see.
>>
>>13509941
>Do those signs indicate that it's trying to do a segregation thing now too? Or is that just for detection purposes at a transport hub?
If I hadn't watched the trailers and stuff I'd think it's the latter (just like how on some airports they have different gates for local/international passports). Especially seeing that the inside of the building is actually one and the same, it could be just a gate with biometric sensors.
>>
Why yes OP, that picture does put me in boner mode.
>>
File: findings.png (88 KB, 597x362) Image search: [Google]
findings.png
88 KB, 597x362
>>13509905
No, because they've ran the series into the ground trying to force the whole "OMG AUGS ARE A DIFFICULT MORAL CHOICE" shit.

DX considered the nature of government and accretion of power. DXHR considered if your neighbor with a vibrator dick is a better human than you.
>>
>>13509941
>Do those signs indicate that it's trying to do a segregation thing now too?

Eidos calls it "Mechanical Apartheid." Exact words.
>>
>>13509905
>Ma'am, your hair appears to have been augmented with Reese's puff cereal. You're going to have to wait in the red room.
>>
>>13513947

What did IW consider?
>>
>>13513955
Individuality vs collectivism in regards to religion and society.
>>
>>13513948
Fleshbags probably didn't like it very much when every augmented person in the world went batshit crazy.
>>
Can we FINALLY SEGWAY TO NANOMACHINES PLEASE

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, DXHR did not look or feel like a predecessor to DX. They have to start adding moving on to less obvious augments that were in the original game. As far as I'm concerned, this game can only be bad if it's more of the same. It's even worse that AJ is back - his story was over! He made his choice, and he died with it! It just shows them as being unable to move past HR, to the detriment of the world.

I mean, I doubt it's going to be IW bad at all, but still, come on.
>>
File: titan_shield.jpg (33 KB, 878x374) Image search: [Google]
titan_shield.jpg
33 KB, 878x374
>>13513993
I think this "Titan Shield" is a sort of segway to nanomachines.
>>
>>13513993
I want my robot people to look like robot people.
>>
I hope they show the start of the technological regression that seems to have happened by DX1, bridge the games together. Presumably most of it was decided to be too expensive and impractical as the world fell apart.
>>
>>13514010
Then you don't want Deus Ex, fuck off secondary

I understand the appeal though, the art and mechanical design for HR and this is fucking GOD tier

Still, fuck off
>>
>>13509905
Yes
>>
>>13509941
I fucking hate the direction they're going through with this.

DX has always been relatively plausible, with settings grounded in real life. That was the appeal for me, even with all the crazy conspiracy shit going on.

But with this "Mechanical Apartheid," it's like they've completely failed with social sci-fi. NO ONE IRL is going to give even the slightest fuck about mechanical augmentations. You already see that shit IRL. We've already been seeing it for years, and no one really gives a fuck today.

They should've tackled actual transhumanism rather than 'muh robot arms and legs'. If we master genetic engineering, utilize technology to create objectively superior human beings, then maybe people will give a shit.
>>
>>13514494
The "Mechanical Apartheid," thing makes sense in-universe, though, considering in the previous game every augment in the world went on a berserk rampage. There's gotta be some consequences to that.
>>
>>13514509
I have yet to play HR.
>>
>>13514509
Problem is that plot point was one of the most fucking stupid moments in the first game and you're now building a sequel off that plot point.

What kind of idiot would do such a thing? There are multiple more intelligent ways to bring attention to some super secret conspiracy and he kills half the worlds leaders, destroys his own life and accolades and manages a full 360 turn in personality within the space of that one arc.
>>
>>13514523
Make sure if you do get it very cheap, it was a disappointment.
>>
>>13513993
Even gameplaywise HR was awful I found.

Besides the horribly overpowered cutscene takedowns you could do everything in one or two runs it especially didn't help they HIGHLIGHTED everything. Any changes were minor, inconsequential and not long lasting like just a minor quip or flavour text. In the original DE that just wasn't happening because you'd always find some new super secret passageway, plus you had multiple side plots.
>>
>>13514531
I have it already. I've been meaning to get to it for years now.
>>
>>13514531

I enjoyed it as a game, but the story was dreck and by about the half way point I was just wishing it'd be over and that they'd stop trying to be clever in hiding/insinuating that you were a new type of human and that the guy who invented augments was now a terrible villain and what not.

Even the gameplay is pretty flawed and while it tries to be open-ended and insist you can play any way you like, you get much more points for sneaking and picking off targets than you do for any other play style.
>>
>>13514494
>NO ONE IRL is going to give even the slightest fuck about mechanical augmentations. You already see that shit IRL. We've already been seeing it for years, and no one really gives a fuck today.
I really doubt that. The shit available in DXHR is a far cry from what prosthetics can do right now.
>>
>>13514541
>I enjoyed it as a game, but the story was dreck and by about the half way point I was just wishing it'd be over
Got the same feeling with HR, after a while it felt like I had done everything. Unlike DE where instead I'm constantly wanting to try out more dickery. It isn't even nostalgia since I can pick up DE again just fine and sitll have fun with the game and enjoy all the writing.
>>
Personally I preferred HR.

It's not a knock at DX so much as it's me not really liking the more RPG driven aspects of its design, pushing it kinda low on my list of 451-likes.

That said I do love the grenade-mine hybrids in DX the most of all vidya grenades.
>>
File: 2011-09-15_00001.jpg (262 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2011-09-15_00001.jpg
262 KB, 1680x1050
I feel the same about the whole "mechanical apartheid" issue as some of the posters above. I think the whole issue of augmentation could have been handled a lot better in the HR. The script did throw a few references to neural augmentations which could make people think faster, etc. but the game mostly was just like augmentation == robotic limbs.

Not that I really have a problem with shiny chrome and tits on the same body.

It would have been a lot more convincing if we'd seen more characters acting noticeably inhuman because of augs. Like they're crazy efficient but their mind's not quite there because so much of their behavior is driven by neuroprocessor augmentations, or something like that. Or doing things to their kids. Now that I could see creeping people out. The whole debate about what's right and what's wrong to do to yourself, about equality, etc. would have made a lot more sense in that context. Even the miniboss squad acted mostly like normal bad guys within what little screentime they got.

I liked DXHR's aesthetics and music, the overall atmosphere was just great. But it was ultimately pretty shallow in terms of gameplay and plot.
>>
>>13514579
I can't see prosthetics getting out of hand like they do in DX either.

If we even get to the point of crazy augmentations like in DX:HR, I'm sure they'll be regulated by some kind of organization to ensure the right sort of prosthetics go to the right people.
>>
>>13514758
>I'm sure they'll be regulated by some kind of organization to ensure the right sort of prosthetics go to the right people.
That was kind of the plan the Illuminati had in HR. Didn't work out due to Darrow being extra-salty and Sarif wanting Neuropozyne-free augmentations for everyone as soon as possible.
>>
File: 1416943702112.jpg (107 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1416943702112.jpg
107 KB, 1920x1040
>>13514693
yeah, augmenting your KIDS would have made the whole thing even more troublesome.

Christ, can you imagine?

Also I fuckin love that VTOL. I wish they sold models of it or of the BOXGUARD bot
>>
File: 1375599901780.png (247 KB, 760x572) Image search: [Google]
1375599901780.png
247 KB, 760x572
Have we seen anyone in power armor or exoskeletons yet? You know, the thing that would probably bridge the social and technological gap between "Normal human" and "Hacking off my arms for robot parts"?
>>
>>13509905
Deus Ex is one of the few series that still moves me strongly. I purchased an entirely new computer to play HR, back when. And knowing this is coming, I am glad to have acquired a new iron for it. I am curious of how the story will progress.

However, as long as DX: IW is on the horizon of the Deus Ex timeline, it is difficult to be optimistic without reservations.
>>
File: gulag.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
gulag.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>13514693
I would like to see the comparisons to the real-world apartheid surface more strongly. South Africa's apartheid was primarily fueled by the fact that the low-cost labor was the primary engine of bullish economic growth in the nation... or rather, the nation's chosen people, nuts to the plantation workers, miners and factory drones.

I would like to see this divide surface in DX. The manual laborers and people from origins too low-income for acquiring degrees being outright convicted to taking augumentations in order to secure work, and then being segregated and rendered to second-class citizenry while the unaugumented people of the world consisted of people with the priviledge of wealth and position of ownership to offer them the choice of remaining unaugumented. And the lower in the labor chain one goes, the more intrusive augumentation would become, with execs, decision-makers and members of business dynasties having only cosmetic, medical and data-access augumentations, secretaries, bodyguards and white collar drones sporting more obvious work applications, and then the heavy lifters, transporters, dangerous enviroment workers and lower income class birth-defectives being Gunther Herman-level obvious borg-esques.
>>
>>13509905
Not sure what the point of power armor like that is if your sides are so clearly exposed like that. Like, a fast enough person could take this guy down with utility knife.
>>
>>13513391
They made it so all the endings happened. Meaning your choice was meaningless.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_endings
>>
>>13515463
Right now, the most likely future way of work being organized is not people getting their upper bodies replaced so that they can do a forklift's job, but them working two shifts of six hours at different companies.

Because using dudes with robot arms would mean that you'd have to do away with pallets, redesign trucks and create new types of storage spaces.
>>
>>13515592
>The cape comic solution

How... American.
>>
>>13515628
There's no point in making people forklifts when you can just have plain forklifts, really.

The trend of augumentation would probably be in assembly lines for highly miniaturized components, working in hazardous enviroments like smelter cores, toxic landfills, et cetera.

The trend of companies forcing more work hours out of employees has always existed, and it fluctuates depending on how loose or corrupt regulatory agents become. The content of those work hours, however, is likely going to be what requires augumentation. Such as being forced to work at such paces and in such conditions that after a year or two, you require augumentation just to keep your wrists working, or to replace ruined lungs, et cetera. And you get those on debt, naturally, or leased from your employer who will call for their repossession if you ever become unwanted, et cetera.
>>
A DX thread? Fuck it, I'm saying it then.

There is nothing wrong with Invisible War, it just had the unfortunate luck of being a sequel to a game that you simply can't compare to without coming across as bad. On its own merit IW was still a contender for GOTY.
>>
>>13515759
>On its own merit IW was still a contender for GOTY.
2003 gave us PoP Sands of Time, KotoR 1, Metroid Prime, and Vice City. Even if I agree that IW is judged a little too harshly, I wouldn't call it GotY.
>>
>>13515776
If none of the those games were released, then you can't argue that IW would have won GOTY.
>>
>>13515669
For a larger company that's maintaining production assets in some form it'd still be cheaper to outsource or more convenient to mechanize, unless you liberalize worker's protection back to the level of Post-revolutionary France.

The only First-World setting where an individual buying limbs for their flexibility and the speed in work-related applications would make economic sense would be the sort of garage shops that used to subcontract work from large japanese companies. So you'd be talking about a future that brought back the putting-out system of production on an unheard-of scale.
>>
>>13515872
You'll have to note that cyberpunk, DX included, has a very specific theme in terms of technology, wealth and human problems. The central tenet is that "we have the technology, but not the will". Worker conditions could very well be relieved to a point where augumentation was unnecessary, but it is not done by choice. The system in place is cruel and unnecessary, but in place because people in power believe in it, and choose it. Much like American policy on enviromental issues, the potential loss of efficiency against competitors being prioritized over the potential loss of workforce, clientele, suppliers and property through self-inflicted enviromental problems. The fault, in the end, is in the choice - deciders desiring to look "hard" out of their own contempt towards those that appear "soft".
>>
>>13514530
>There are multiple more intelligent ways to bring attention to some super secret conspiracy

I don't think that was his primary goal. He wanted humans to voluntarily turn back the technological clock. And even if everyone found out that he made the augs go crazy and going berserk isn't something inherent to augmentations, they would still have an irrational response resulting in something like Mechanical Apartheid. I could easily see that happening...
>>
>>13516840
>I don't think that was his primary goal.
It kind of was, he even explicitly says it and even the Illuminati recognized it as such.

The issue is more how out of character he suddenly became for that last arc and then suddenly he decides to go back into character after your chat with him. That is straight up bad writing.
>>
>>13514494
This.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.