[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who's never delved into the Expanded Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: Star-Wars-EU.jpg (168 KB, 640x363) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-EU.jpg
168 KB, 640x363
As someone who's never delved into the Expanded Star Wars Universe before, what are some good novels and story lines that are worth reading now?
>>
Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
>>
>>13495818
The Thrawn Trilogy.
>>
>>13495822
Dude! You can't just read Zorba the Hutt's Revenge without reading the prior works in the series! You need to start with Glove of Darth Vader and work forward from there.

On a more serious note, absolutely anything written by John Jackson Miller.
>>
>>13495831
This is about it.
Never touch anything to do with the Yuuzang Vong. Just don't do it.
It's not worth it.
>>
>>13495818
Thrawn Trilogy/Hand of Thrawn Duology
Yoda Dark Rendezvous/Mace Windu Shatterpoint
Labyrinth of Evil/Return of the Sith Novelization (very different from the movie)/Rise of Darth Vader
>>
If you don't mind diving in to the comics, the old Tales of the Jedi stuff is pretty goddamn rad.
>>
>>13495904
what are you saying?
>>
File: 438px-SWKOTOR43.jpg (105 KB, 438x673) Image search: [Google]
438px-SWKOTOR43.jpg
105 KB, 438x673
read the KoToR comics
>>
>>13495818
Crystal Star - Introduces monstergirls to Star Wars.

KoToR Comics - See the Mandalorian Wars unfold and fall in love with a blue-skinned catgirl.

Hand of Thrawn Duology - Officially the "end" of the post-Rebellion EU and the start of the New Republic EU. Has some good battles but little else.

X-Wing Series: Debatably good, but they're just adventure stories centered around X-wings and their pilots. Not necessary by any means.

Jedi Academy trilogy - Really goes into how Luke finds his students and trains them.
>>
File: Final Cover.jpg (144 KB, 600x922) Image search: [Google]
Final Cover.jpg
144 KB, 600x922
>>13496236
>blue-skinned catgirl.

I wouldn't really call her a cat girl but she is pretty best

Gryph is the best character in Star Wars period
>>
>>13496236
This is a pretty good list actually. If I may also be so bold as to suggest the KOTOR and KOTOR II (with the restored content mod) games, partially because they're not too bad, but mostly because the lore (or rather, the deconstruction of lore) in KOTOR II in particular colors a lot of what the Expanded Universe became before Disney turned it all into Legends.

Well, at least before TOR raped all of the subtlety in KOTOR II to give you your boring, standard good guy vs. bad guy crap.
>>
I liked Knight Errant

lone jedi stuck in sith space during their civil war.
>>
>>13496267
>>13496123
To be honest, I dropped the KOTOR comics after they changed artists. The second guy just didn't have the ability to capture the humor and life that the first guy did. It was like looking at a Chinese knockoff of Starry Night.
>>
>>13496347
Brian Ching was on Kotor until the end (aside from the War mini). He just had a lot of fill-in artists.
>>
File: 1445212952375.jpg (369 KB, 565x787) Image search: [Google]
1445212952375.jpg
369 KB, 565x787
>>13496267
She's more of a blue-skinned space elf, actually. Agreed about her being Best Girl.

>Gryph is the best character in Star Wars period.

This too.
>>
File: 200px-Darklordfrontcover.jpg (33 KB, 200x307) Image search: [Google]
200px-Darklordfrontcover.jpg
33 KB, 200x307
I thought the Bane books were pretty good. Pic related is also good and the first Death Troopers was entertaining if a bit dumb when you think about it. But then again, Sith Alchemy, ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: splinter1.jpg (1 MB, 1604x2507) Image search: [Google]
splinter1.jpg
1 MB, 1604x2507
For comics...

Splinter of the Mind's Eye
(drawn by Chris Sprouse = fuck yeah!)

Dark Empire
(The complete story is Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End)

Crimson Empire
(the first story; second one was really meh; haven't read the third one)
>>
>>13495818

The 18 episode plan.

The Thrawn Trilogy novels 7-9
The Dark Empire comics (1, 2, Empires End) 10-12
The Jedi Academy Trilogy 13-15
The Hand of Thrawn duology of books and the Union comic 16-18

Bam. Star Wars.

The X-Wing books are fantastic. Courtship of Princess Leia was fun. Anything marked Tales of * was fairly good if you like the subject matter. I personally loved the Bounty Hunter trilogy.

The comics dealing with the original Sith Wars were great.
>>
>>13496288

The fact that Knight Errant has no grand finish burns in my soul to this day.
>>
>>13495904
Nice shit taste, that was one of the best series in the EU.
>>
>>13495818
Books:
>Thrawn Trilogy
>Jedi Academy Trilogy
>I, Jedi
>X-Wing series
>Shadows of the Empire
>New Jedi Order series (a few duds but overall worth it)
>Tales of the Bounty Hunters
>Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
>Shatterpoint
>Republic Commando (the first one at least)
>Revenge of the Sith (much better then the movie)
>Kenobi

Comics:
>Tales of the Jedi series
>Thrawn Trilogy (surprisingly good adaptation)
>Dark Empire Trilogy
>Crimson Empire Trilogy
>Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand
>Dawn of the Jedi
>KOTOR
>Clone Wars (or Republic series as it was known)
>Dark Times
>Legacy (for the most part)
>>
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.
>>
i love anything with snoke. 'serpent's call' is probably my favorite, but 'bedside tales with sheev' has some fantastic storytelling.
>>
>>13495818
The entire NJO series was good fun, but waaaaaaay too long. Legacy was fun though especially with Caedus becomming the supreme asshole.

Best is the Thrawn thrilogy though, hands down.
>>
>>13497054
>Republic Commando (the first one at least)
I'd argue that the second one is worth reading too.

Also, you forgot Hand of Thrawn. Not as good as the earlier trilogy, but still pretty interesting. Really, everything by Zahn is worth reading.
>>
>>13497109
>I liked all of the RC books
>>
>>13497114
I loved them all too, but even I'm not going to claim that the last one was actually good. True Colors was okay, I guess.
>>
>>13497099
Agreed. If I'd paid for them I probably wouldn't have been as forgiving, but I enjoyed reading them.
>>
File: star wars books .jpg (246 KB, 1607x897) Image search: [Google]
star wars books .jpg
246 KB, 1607x897
https://mega.nz/#F!gV9WHAhC!tbKu8TAHkmAwFtIJY5VIag

Go nuts. I particularly enjoy the Rogue Squadron books, Thrawn, and the Bounty Hunter War.

https://mega.nz/#F!gV9WHAhC!tbKu8TAHkmAwFtIJY5VIag
>>
>>13497321

Also, I can convert Tarkin and Lords of the Sth to epub if anyone is curious.
>>
>>13497099
>>13497184
Traitor is still the best book.

Overall Stover has imo some of the strongest contributions to the novels franchise.
>>
>>13496236

> X-Wing Series: Debatably good, but they're just adventure stories centered around X-wings and their pilots. Not necessary by any means.
> Debatably

Really? I wasn't aware there was any debate about it. They're some of the best entries in the EU from my experience. Sure they're not necessary, but what exactly is? It's in them that you get the recapture of Coruscant along with the defeat of some of the Empire's bigger new warlords and commanders post Palpatine, so it seems about as necessary as anything else.

I think they're great just because the narrative describes some really fun battles, many of the cast, especially in the Wraith Squadron are very memorable and they give a really good sense of squad life and camaraderie.

Also, they're not books so much as audiobooks but I highly recommend the Star Wars radio dramatizations. I'm about half way through the A New Hope one at the moment and it's fantastic. I already prefer it to the films in many ways. Hans voice is taking some getting used to, but Hammil and Anthony Daniels reprise their roles and the rest of the fill in actors are great.

I just enjoy that they expand on almost all the scenes in the movies in a good way so that it just becomes a more complete experience. I didn't like what a 50's bully cliche Luke's friends are at the start, but outside that they're all good so far, with special mention going to the expanded torture scene between Vader and Leia, which is genuinely uncomfortable to listen to and both voice actors knock out of the park. There's also a much expanded scene of Obi-Wan training Luke aboard the Falcon that nicely mirrors Vader's torture in a way, since both Vader and Obi-Wan speak in much the same way to Luke and Leia in the scenes, which basically follow each other.

There's also radio dramatizations of both Dark Empire and Crimson Empire, though I'm not familiar with the comics or dramatizations of either.
>>
>>13497372
yeah the NPR Radio Dramas are cool

I listened to Dark Empire ages ago, I remember it being okay, but this was probably 20 years ago
>>
>>13497334
Fuck yes, Traitor was excellent. I also really liked the Allston ones.
>>
Bane Trilogy is pretty fucking great, I agree with most of what was posted here too.
>>
>>13497321
Wow. Thanks for this. Got Kenobi and Mercy Kill by any chance? Or maybe the rest of the Rogue Squadron comics?
>>
>>13497325

Mercy Kill:

https://mega.nz/#!0YsSmYLY!HB6GlbCq72mF9M4J4e8TRutNDlFQz4tk90stQ3TwEbA

Kenobi:

https://mega.nz/#!1J92VbZC!GCLbNnDxQNF3ZIEgOsSYLady2go5vRN8W1DK5xKvLGY

Also, ignore what I said before. Lord of the Sith and Tarkin are in the folder I imported from /co/ /swg/.

https://mega.nz/#F!tQs2nZJT!xLgZ_PdK80fo7cmkcdeYwA
>>
File: kamillethumbs.jpg (17 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
kamillethumbs.jpg
17 KB, 360x270
>>13497488
>>
>>13495818
On a similar note, which games are worth playing? I've heard of KoToR but I don't have as much time as I'd like to delve into dozens of hours of side-quests
>>
File: younglings.webm (3 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
younglings.webm
3 MB, 800x600
>>13497602
Jedi Knight series
TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance
Galactic Battlegrounds
Empire At War
Republic Commando
Battlefront 1/2
>>
>>13496267
Damn what a qt.

>>13496363
Plus them dick sucking lips
>>
>>13497321
Would you happen to have the Prequel novelizations in either .mobi or .epub format?
>>
>>13497767
I have a epub of the rots novelization

http://www84.zippyshare.com/v/LfMvitcE/file.html
>>
>>13497767
There's a huge torrent of all books in epub on kat.
>>
>>13497767

Uploading the comic versions and novelizations now

https://mega.nz/#F!wB1kQDZD!gJeTTA1aJGiiKXwQtDmh-w
>>
>>13497625
>>13497602

IF you get Empire at War, make sure you get the Forces of Corruption expansion pack and then download mods, preferably Thrawn's Revenge or Republic at War. The vanilla expansion pack adds an absolutely broken third faction.
>>
File: phantom manga menace.png (1 MB, 640x941) Image search: [Google]
phantom manga menace.png
1 MB, 640x941
>>13497869

Up. I could also add the manga adaptations in .pdf form if anyone is insane enough.
>>
Related question to OP, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies before. What's the best order to watch them in?
>>
>>13498317
Production order
>>
>>13498317
Production order like literally fucking everything
>>
>>13498317
IV, V, II, II, VI

Enjoy having all the narrative twists and surprises preserved.
>>
>>13498329
What.
>>
>>13498329
>skipping III and watching II twice
Best order. Not to mention it even strengthens the "clone" motif and its philosophical implications!
>>
>>13498329

Machete mode is awful. Watch it like a normal person.
>>
>>13497454
It was. I feel the third was the weakest though. I know they had to wrap it up though, but it still doesn't feel as good as the first two.
>>13497054
If OP or anyone here is willing to delve into the new stuff, Marvel's Darth Vader run is pretty good.
>>
Rogue Squadron novels (if you're interested in seeing the breakup of the Empire and the rise of the Warlord systems)

Thrawn trilogy (probably the best the EU has to offer, albeit still having some weird EUish elements in the third novel)

Dark Empire (comics) (About the Emperor's return through a clone body. The premise is shaky at first glance but it's probably one of the best Star Wars comics there is)

Crimson Empire (comics) (Details the life of a lone surviving Imperial Guardsmen who survives a purge by a Force Sensitive former fellow Guardsmen who wants to take control of the Imperial Remnant for himself. Really well written, great art, and full of action)

These are in chronological order, not release order. Taking place from 5 ABY (1 year after RotJ ends) to 14ish ABY.

Everything past Crimson Empire gets murky in regards to quality. Really the only consistently awesome element is Gilad Pellaeon (the old man in the white uniform in your pic). He's introduced in the Thrawn trilogy and rises through the ranks of the Imperial Remnant from a Captain at one of the ships present at Endor to Grand Admiral as one of the Empire's shining examples of honor and duty.

I liked the Yuuzhan Vong but the novels weren't that great.

And the Legacy comics were fun. Though not everyone cares for the 'far future' sequels that some series have.
>>
>>13498317
The prequel trilogy has no worth if you're not already familiar with the orignal trilogy.

ALWAYS PRODUCTION ORDER, FUCK HOW CAN YOU EVEN ASK THIS SHIT.

The order goes like this:
Star Wars -> Star Wars Holiday Special (not really) -> Empire Strikes Back -> Return of the Jedi -> those Ewok made for TV movies (better than Phantom Menace, at least)-> the prequel trilogy (totally fucking optional)
>>
>>13495818
It's all been made redundant, don't join the losers who've spent decades poring over it, go get a girlfriend or a new job or something.
>>
>>13496363
Add some hooks on her and you have the Kor from MTG.
>>
I'd add Darth Vader and the ghost prison, The Boba Fett comics and Splinter of The mind eye to >>13497054
>>
File: Scoundrels.jpg (350 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Scoundrels.jpg
350 KB, 640x960
I recently finished Scoundrels. Definitely worth a look.
>>
So if I understand this right, in the sequel trilogy the New Republic exists, but there's also another iteration of the Rebellion going on fighting against the remnants of the Empire?
>>
>>13496236
>Crystal Star

Fuck You.
>>
>>13496461
>>13496236
Jedi Academy Trilogy (and Darksaber which is kinda the 4th chapter) are pretty integral to the EU, but wow do they suck. They are fine for kids but they are abominable reads for any adult. Kevin J. Anderson is a goddamn hack and I have no idea why people let him write novels for them.
>>
Thrawn Trilogy
X-wing series

Those are pretty much the high points of Star Wars novels. Everything else isn't worth your time.
>>
File: lando_calrissian.jpg (156 KB, 469x700) Image search: [Google]
lando_calrissian.jpg
156 KB, 469x700
I liked the Lando books.
>>
Anyone remember the Centerpoint novels? Read them as a kid, and remember being interested, especially in Centerpoint itself, but given how much it's talked about, I'm guessing it's about as disposable as most of the rest of the EU?

Also, just re-read the Thrawn trilogy, those are legitimately good.
>>
File: abeloth.jpg (148 KB, 833x1024) Image search: [Google]
abeloth.jpg
148 KB, 833x1024
>>13504625
Centerpoint was a prison for monmusu.
>>
>>13497946
>946▶
>File: phantom manga menace.png (1.04 MB, 640x

They never did the other prequels in manga form did they?

I know the original trilogy and Episode 1 got the Manga treatment.
>>
>>13503663
i remember having a couple of han solo books as well from long long ago. before he moved into empire territory, but after he got the falcon
>>
>>13504770
Are they the old Han Solo novels or the more recent ones?
>>
>>13507439
The 'before he moved into empire territory' part implies it's the Brian Daley trilogy (which were awesome, btw).
>>
The definitive EU novel reading list and optimum reading order, decided solely and entirely by me and my excellent taste in Star Wars novels.

1. Thrawn Trilogy
2. X-wing Series (Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron, except for Mercy Kill)
3. I, Jedi (The Jedi Academy Trilogy is optional)
4. The Han Solo Trilogy
5. The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy
6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology
7. Survivor's Quest/Outbound Flight
8. The New Jedi Order*
9. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
10. Shatterpoint
11. Labyrinth of Evil
12. Star Wars Episode III
13. The Rise of Darth Vader
14. Kenobi
15. Darth Plageuis
16. The Darth Bane trilogy
---IF YOU REALLY MUST territory begins---
17. Dark Nest Trilogy
18. Legacy of the Force
19. Fate of the Jedi
---IF YOU REALLY MUST territory ends---
20. Millenium Falcon
21. X-wing - Mercy Kill

*Don't let the people who complained about the Yuuzhan Vong deter you. While the Vong themselves were a divisive concept, as far as actual writing goes The New Jedi Order is host to some of the better books in the EU, like Vector Prime, the Agents of Chaos duology, Star by Star, the Enemy Lines duology, Traitor, The Unifying Force

You notice I skipped a lot of real schlock like pretty the Young Jedi Knights and pretty much everything by Kevin J Anderson. But I didn't skip the New Jedi Order.
>>
>>13507529
The thing I liked most about NJO was everyone was making all kinds of callbacks to nearly every other EU novel. The writing really was good for a lot of them.
>>
>>13507553
I had debated whether to include the Young Jedi Knights in there just for maximum impact in Star by Star when 90% of the old YJK cast gets unceremoniously killed off but decided it wasn't really necessary.

Same reason I decided it wasn't entirely necessary to read the Jedi Academy trilogy before reading I, Jedi for Corran to be an author's vehicle for making snide comments about how dumb it was (while being courted by a jailbait space pirate)
>>
>>13507529
Are you me? This is almost exactly the same list I would make. I definitely agree that I, Jedi is a suitable enough recap of the Jedi Academy trilogy to leave it out, unless you have a real hardon for Kyp Durron or something once you get to the NJO.
>>
File: Tarkin-Cover.jpg (216 KB, 1346x2048) Image search: [Google]
Tarkin-Cover.jpg
216 KB, 1346x2048
So what's the consensus on any recent SW books?
>>
>>13507661
Tarkin can be summed up with "James Luceno tries to shove as many throwaway mentions of EU things as he can fit within the page limit so they'll be canon again".
>>
File: Grand_Admiral_Thrawn.png (153 KB, 220x299) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Admiral_Thrawn.png
153 KB, 220x299
>>13495831

Again, this. There's a reason it's most consistently recommended.

I think there was a more recent release that accounted for the PT (a few years back). Read either version.

Plus, the storyline of TIE Fighter makes a little more sense.
>>
>>13502640
Yeah, it's not like killing the emperor is going to bring down an empire that big.
>>
>>13507661
There is pretty much no point in reading SW books since anything not in the movies will at some point in the future be rendered non-canon.
>>
>>13508130

> Waahhhhh, muh canon

The point of reading a book should never be "where does this fit in to a larger canon" but "is this a good book"? And some of the Star Wars books are, so they're worth reading regardless of their canonicity.
>>
>>13508155
Exactly. I don't understand everyone's hardon for "canon" around here, who cares if it's outright contradicted or changed later on, the stories themselves are still good.
>>
File: Deathtroopers.jpg (2 MB, 1397x2134) Image search: [Google]
Deathtroopers.jpg
2 MB, 1397x2134
When this came out, it looked like shit, but I never read it. Is it shit?
>>
The "Book of Sheev" is a pretty great read.
>>
>>13508180
It would however be good to know that anything published before a year ago would largely be ignored by the movies and other books. On occasion they might take inspiration from them but the movies won't try to hold to them.

I loved "I, Jedi" and thought it was a great book. The jarjar trilogy threw a number of things from it out. For instance: Jedi family lines. I still recommend it for reading, but don't expect it to apply to any movies or current books.

The most recently published stuff, can be treated as canonical and will supposedly be respected.
>>
>>13508651
Zombies in space. No more, no less. Pretty much what you'd expect. It's decent.
>>
>>13498353
He forgot three, but it's in machete mode. The idea is to prevent a big part of the reveal spoiled from the start and give some background to Vader. One is removed as the creator's reasoning is that any true background wasn't really shown in 1.
>>
>>13508651
Neat zombie story, then suddenly Han Solo
>>
>>13509020
Or you can, you know, watch them in the order they came out like fucking everything else to avoid spoilers.
>>
>>13497372
The problem with X-Wing is:

>Arcs
You get some really inconsistent story arcs, from the build-up to the Battle of Coruscant, then the Bacta War/Ysanne Isard terrorism arc, then Wraith Squadron with a whole new cast of characters and a completely different type of story that's more Rambo 1 + James Bond + The Expendables rather than Twelve o'Clock High + Band of Brothers + Star Wars, and finally the standalone post-Rebellion books which are kind of mediocre compared to everything that came before.

>Character development
Outside of Corran, Wedge, and maybe Ooryl and Mynock, you don't get a lot of character development for the cast. And later books just up and say "oh this happened offscreen."

>Imperial Intelligence
They're just so under-developed and stupidly competent. They're almost more like COBRA than an actual intelligance agency.
>>
>>13498317
Production order. The only alternative order is IV, V, I, II, III, VI, because that ends the story with the uplifting chronological end rather than the downer ending of III, but preserves the important twist at the end of Empire Strikes Back.
>>
File: 1443984198271.jpg (56 KB, 503x592) Image search: [Google]
1443984198271.jpg
56 KB, 503x592
>>13507529
>Don't let the people who complained about the Yuuzhan Vong deter you.

Introducing Warhammer 40k elements into Star Wars is extremely questionable.
>>
>>13497927
A third faction you can't turn off either, goddamn piss clouds, i just want my Alliance Vs. Empire with their new units.
>>
>>13509203
I think that was part of the conceit, the Vong were literally foreign to the Star Wars galaxy and therefore did not fit in with the established aesthetic and atmosphere, and we were then given a tour of many of the characters and factions and plot elements that we had already met in the EU thus far and explored how they interacted and reacted to this villain from outside their context. The NJO's main failing wasn't really of its own making, since its main failing was that the post ROTJ EU didn't simply stop at the end of The Unifying Force, when the Yuuzhan Vong had changed the face of the galaxy irreversibly and salted the earth for any future installments.
>>
>>13509788
The main failing of the NJO was that it was 19 fucking books long, and that was after they had already cut it short and canned some planned subplots.
>>
>>13497927
Thrawn's Revenge is shit. The Chiss are blatantly OP and the bugs are seriously game-breaking in Galactic Conquest, never mind that Skirmish is boring and broken.
>>
>>13509203
Compared to the usual dumb superweapon-of-the-week format, NJO was a welcome relief.
>>
>>13509788
>since its main failing was that the post ROTJ EU didn't simply stop at the end of The Unifying Force
This so much. The Unifying Force pretty much concluded everything in a satisfying manner: The Jedi finally realized The Force wasn't simply good and evil, the Empire and Alliance formally joined hands as one government, etc. But then some idiot at Lucasfilm decided we needed Sith fightins Jedi again.

Seriously, fuck post-NJO. There was a time when I would have bitched about Disney flushing EU down the toilet, but after Dark Nest and Legacy, I'm glad it's gone (even if it pains me to lose some of my favorite stories).
>>
>>13509959

> The Jedi finally realized The Force wasn't simply good and evil

What was the implication here out of interest? Also the EU was always going to continue after that point so while more Sith might not have been the best of planning something was definitely necessary, especially if the implications of the Unifying Force are something that individuals should be able to deny, which it almost certainly had to be if Jedi and Sith were unaware of it for thousands of years.
>>
>>13509959
>But then some idiot at Lucasfilm decided we needed Sith fightins Jedi again.

The worst thing was that the post-NJO EU just rehashed the Prequel Trilogy, only this time everyone was even more retarded. LOTF was such trash that I never bothered finishing it. And I read the Crystal Star!
>>
>>13509107
>Outside of Corran, Wedge, and maybe Ooryl and Mynock, you don't get a lot of character development for the cast. And later books just up and say "oh this happened offscreen."

This only really applies to the Rogue Squadron books. In Wraith Squadron every character both major and minor, get some form of development. Even those who end up dying. Poor Ton Phannan.
>>
>>13510061

I loved Wraith Squadron. Piggy, Face, Squeaky, Falynn - it had a large portion of memorable characters and I love the idea of a commando squad with different specialties who do their own recon and entry/exit in to a target area behind enemy lines.
>>
>>13510061
I don't recall the MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE Devaronian pilot getting any development, or that guy who replaced Grinder as the squadron's slicer.
>>
>>13510077

It's been years since I read Wraith Squadron, but I recall Devaronian guy getting a few moments. He was mainly comic relief, though.

>guy who replaced Grinder as the squadron's slicer.

No this guy I remember getting a bit of development. He was impulsive and too sure of himself, disobeyed orders and got himself caught infiltrating Zsinj's ship, and ended up getting 'executed' by one of the undercover Wraiths (the novel is kind of ambiguous whether he was already dead before she pulled the trigger) to prove they weren't spies.
>>
>>13509998
I don't remember the specifics but Luke (and the Jedi) realized after their adventures on Zonama Sekot (a living planet) that "The Force" had neither a light nor dark side, that those definitions were merely oversimplifications of what individuals choose to do with its power.

Regarding the Sith returning, it wasn't so much that it could happen but HOW it happened that bothers me. Jacen suddenly deciding "I'm gonna be a Sith Lord now because of some vague vision" was, as >>13510059 said, a bad rehash of the prequels, made worse because it went against everything he learned during NJO. And don't get me started on retconning Vegere as Sidious' apprentice.
>>
>>13510084
We seem to be working off different definitions of development, I was thinking more along the lines of actual character arcs. That guy's character didn't change over time, and died because of the same flaws that got him reassigned to Wraith Squadron in the first place, he was basically a plot device to demonstrate the consequences of recruiting pilots that nobody else wants.
>>
>>13509998
I think it was something like, the dark side is not inherent to the Force, but it exists in those who choose to use its power to dominate and impose their will rather than to enlighten themselves and be in harmony with the Force's will, and the Unifying Force unlike the Living Force is the aspect of the Force more concerned with visions and destiny.

Unfortunately someone at Lucasfilm didn't seem to have grasped that concept, and retconned it so that it was a heretical Sithy teaching that Vergere used to corrupt Jacen into a Sith and nearly turned the whole Jedi Order into a bunch of knight Templar moral relativists.
>>
>>13510089
What was your opinion on the Lost Tribe of the Sith?
>>
>>13510106
I haven't read it.
>>
File: update the wook.png (56 KB, 661x167) Image search: [Google]
update the wook.png
56 KB, 661x167
>>13507529
Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights are cute. There are so many callbacks to them in the later series that people should at least read the first six books of YJK and the first book of JJK before jumping into NJO. Otherwise it's like "what do you mean Jacen used to be nice," "why is Tahiri so goddamn obsessed with Anakin anyway," and "why does this Zekk loser keep getting in the way of Jag and Jaina."

>tfw it seemed like Tahiri might finally be getting over Anakin in Crucible with that new pilot guy, but then the EU got cancelled
>tfw Raynar Thul has the bleakest life in Star Wars
>tfw Lowbacca got basically written out of NJO because Lucas said "no Wookiee Jedi" only to have that Wookiee Jedi in Children of the Force
>>
>>13510175
>what do you mean Jacen used to be nice
God, Jacen's personality did a complete backflip for the NJO.

Before then he was this enthusiastic kid with lame jokes but a lot of heart.

Then in Vector Prime he's suddenly out of nowhere morphed into this jaded emo kid who thinks the Jedi should all drop their lightsabers and become hermits, and the academy sucks because the Force is a personal journey of self enlightenment, not something you can formalize into a curriculum and mass produce. And later he cut himself off from the Force at a time when the war effort needed every Jedi it could get, because "muh good and evil".
>>
>>13510175
It was a good thing that the EU got killed at Crucible, the post-ROTJ story was already coming to the parts of the OT characters' natural lifespans when they really are getting too old for all this adventuring. In fact, they should have killed it at Mercy Kill, because that would have been hilarious.
>>
>>13510175
yeah all I expected was Force Hogwarts and it was decent at it
>>
>>13509959
Legacy was fucking horrible, especially the Karen Traviss mandalorian circle jerk segments. Not to mention that completely anticlimactic final battle.
>>
>>13510432
The funniest part was where the writers completely misinterpreted the charger of Admiral Daala.
>>
File: sixes is here to save the wook.png (261 KB, 1349x1495) Image search: [Google]
sixes is here to save the wook.png
261 KB, 1349x1495
>>13510175

>update the wook
>>
>>13504751

There's also all of the original triilogy as well, but not the other prequel films.
>>
>>13510532
What do you mean?
>>
>>13510432
Try not to confuse Legacy of the Force (LOTF) the novels with Legacy the comic, since the latter could actually be good (when it wasn't focusing on Emo Skywalker, at least).

But yeah, LOTF was terrible and Traviss' contributions were the worst of it. Not just the Mando-wanking, or letting her anti-Jedi stance bleed into her writing but also because she killed off two of the best EU characters, Mara Jade and Pelleon, in the shittiest ways imaginable.
>>
>>13510551
*character
Basically they seemed to think she was some kind of badass tactical genius, a woman who rose to the top in a male dominated Imperial Navy through ruthlessness and intelligence (i.e. Isard)

As opposed to a literally brain damaged war criminal who got to the top by banging Tarkin and was too dumb to grasp that the tactics she learned were out of date leading to her uselessly wasting Star Destroyers in multiple failed attacks on the NR.

And they made her Chief of State at the end of Legacy of the Force.

Luckily they seem to have realized how stupid this was by the time they got round to writing Fate of the Jedi.
>>
>>13510568
>Emo Skywalker
I thought Cade was Edgelord Skywalker
>>
>>13510568
Zahn must have been pissed as hell to find out two of his favorites got killed off.
>>
>>13510596
That's not so much a misinterpretation as some retconning. Let's look at how Daala develops throughout the EU.

Jedi Academy Trilogy:
Our favorite PMSing Imperial Admiral is introduced. Through her recollections, we learn she's a genius strategist who got top marks in every simulation ever, but the mean instructors at the academy only saw her tits and demoted her to kitchen duty. Then Tarkin swoops in, secretly promotes her to Admiral rank and stuffs her away in his private research lab as a glorified guard. Implied is they had lots of sex, but implying that's why she got her rank will get you executed.

Then we get to the part where she actually does stuff and she makes one tactical blunder after another, losing 3 out of 4 Star Destroyers under her command and barely getting away with her flagship.

Darksaber:
Daala manages to rise to the position of Fleet Commander of the biggest Imperial Fleet seen since Return of the Jedi. It takes her a few days to mess up so horribly she resigns and goes into hiding.

Now, at this point, people not called Kevin J. Anderson start to realize this supposed supergenius has a lousy track record. Fast forward to the next two entries, released a decade later.

Death Star:
Daala retroactively shows up a short while before A New Hope, is somewhat competent but gets convenient memory loss/brain damage to explain how she doesn't remember this episode in her life.

The New Essential Guide to Warfare:
It is once again confirmed that Daala managed to beat every simulation while at the Imperial Academy. However, a detail Daala conveniently left out in her recollections is that she usually won at the cost of 90% of her fleet. Something that sounds very familiar concerning her EU track record. The reason she never got anywhere was because her instructors considered her an imbalanced maniac with no concern for anything but the end result. Daala just angrily assumed it was just because she was a woman.
>>
>>13510891

That last bit explains a fucking lot. Though now I wonder what the hell Tarkin saw in her other than what had to be one hell of a lay. She sounds like the kind of officer he'd executed for less.
>>
>>13510891
On the other hand, that same book where Daala returns (in a return that would have been far better if it was the Empire of the Hand returning instead) they unironically had the line "Do you think it's time for our first female Moff?" which just leads me to believe that the way they all treat Daala like the second coming of Thrawn is at least partially more Traviss fucking around with continuity she had no interest in.
>>
>>13510960
He did put her in charge of guarding the Maw, which I guess you could argue is well out of the way where she can't do too much damage.
>>
>>13510960
>>13510992
Fun trivia, the New Essential Guide to Warfare initially included more info on Daala, saying she was born a princess on her home planet but her family got murdered and she got dumped at an orphanage. Thankfully that shit got cut and banished to non-canon.

Even more thankfully, Karen Traviss was originally going to write the Essential Guide but got replaced.
>>
>>13511407
>princess daala

Jesus christ, how horrible.
>>
>>13511343

So he basically played up the Maw as this big special assignment and let her continue to think she was just picked on for being female.

That's rather subtle for Tarkin.
>>
>>13510702
Nah, Cade just dressed like an edgelord. Half his dialogue was whining about why he had to be a hero or why Luke's Force Ghost/hallucination couldn't leave him alone. He was a whiny emo bitch.
>>
>>13510175

RIP Zekk.
>>
>>13513313
Hey, all Cade really wanted to do was hang out with his buddies, do a lot of drugs, and bang his incredibly hot Zeltron girlfriend. He had a good thing going, is what I'm saying. Then the ghost of his great-grandpa starts nagging at him to "save the galaxy."
>>
>Thrawn Trilogy is compulsory

>Timothy Zahn's other Thrawn related projects, The hand of thrawn duology, Outbound Flight Project, etc...

>Lots of comics in the 90s with interesting ideas, good art, and shit writing. A lot of these stories were expanded and used as the backstory for KOTOR the video game.

>Darth Plagueis, Bane Trilogy

>Mid oughts comics, KOTOR, LEgacy, others

Basically, avoid anything that happens after The hand of thrawn duology, and anything written by KAren Traviss
>>
>>13513313
I feel like the LEgacy comic's biggest weakness was that over and over they would repeat Cade's character arc. So it would go,
>Cade is an immoral bounty hunter with force powers
>Cade is drawn into conflict, and learns some responsibility
>Cade fights a Sith lord and then rejects his responsibility and becomes an Amoral bounty hunter again

If they had just done it once, that would be fine, but they kept doing it over and over again. I didn't even bother to read the finale to the comic, because by that point shit was so done. But yeah, any time they focus on the imperial knights or the Republic remnant, or even the new mandolorians, its a really interesting comic.
>>
>suddenly everyone loves the EU but only after Disney cancelled it
Stockholm Syndrome? Being a Star Wars EU fan must be analogous to having an abusive husband.
>>
>>13513416
Right his character arc really plateaued after he faced Krayt the first time on Coruscant.
>>
>>13495818
Nome
>>
>>13513416
>imperial knights

The Imperial Knights and the Felpire were the best things about Legacy, imo. They were an interesting 3rd faction and kept things from being just another tired rehash of Jedi vs Sith. It's a shame that Legacy ended with just reestablishing the Galactic Alliance (seriously, that government was more of a failure than the New Republic) I would have liked it better if instead the Star Wars galaxy discovered that constitutional monarchy was a thing and we got a Galactic Empire with Empress Fel as head of state with a democratically elected Senate.
>>
>>13514013
Kind of a bad analogy, with the EU you can pick and choose which bits you want to experience, unlike people where things tend to be a package deal.

The EU had tons of shit, and I don't think anyone here is denying that, but there were some good parts that got flushed down with it, which are worth remembering.
>>
>>13514502
I keep saying that the Fel monarchs should have been invincible gods in starfighters, given that they are a concentrated fusion of Skywalker, Solo, Antilles, and Fel genes.
>>
>>13514502
It's funny just to see how each successive government is more and more of a failure.

>Old Republic
Lasted a thousand generations before it was succeeded by the Galactic Empire

>Galactic Empire
Lasted about twenty to forty years (depending on when you pinpoint the moment they were defeated by the NR, was it the Emperor's death or the fall of Imperial Center or was it the peace treaty?) before it was succeeded by the New Republic

>New Republic
Lasted between twenty to thirty years before all the bureaucratic shit it was accumulating reached up from its rectum into its throat and choked it to death and let the Yuuzhan Vong take over Coruscant, and was succeeded by the Galactic Federation

>Galactic Federation
Lasted just over a decade before it splintered into Caedus's New Order and Niathal's government in exile
>>
>>13509998
>>13510089
>>13510103
Basically, by the end of NJO the EU decided that all the non-Jedi and non-Sith Force Users were not just reflections of the Dark Side distorting the force, but were legitimate ways of looking at and using the Force in their own right. This isn't to say that the Dark Side didn't exist, because it so clearly did, but that the Dark Side and Light Side are just parts of a greater, unified Force. The whole "The Dark Side is inside of you" thing that Vergere suggested to Jacen was never stated to be true in NJO, and was more like Vergere's perspective on things after coming to accept that the Force is greater than what the Jedi and Sith see. Jacen himself didn't think she was quite right even after she sacrificed herself at Ebaq 9.
>>
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/disney-plans-to-release-a-new-star-wars-film-every-year-until-you-die/

>stand-alone films will combine with the so-called “saga” trilogies to form a “forever franchise” with no end in sight.

How long until it becomes as crap as the old EU?
>>
File: han wife.jpg (123 KB, 884x600) Image search: [Google]
han wife.jpg
123 KB, 884x600
>>13518456
>How long until it becomes as crap as the old EU?

Not even a fucking year
>>
>>13518459
I didn't mind that when it happened. I thought the idea that he might have gotten drunk one night, woken up to find himself married to some alien he's doesn't remember meeting, and bailing out immediately isn't out of keeping with Solo's character.
Assuming that's what happened, because I don't know what happened next.
>>
>>13514013
"To be a Star Wars fan, one must possess the ability to see a million different failures and downfalls, and then somehow assemble them into a greater picture of perfection. Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good."
>>
>>13518683
I think the same holds true for most franchises. Like gendums.
>>
>>13518459

I have more of a problem with the name Sana than with the idea of him having a wife. It just doesn't have a nice sound. Still, while it doesn't overly bother me, I don't think him getting married and running out on it is particularly in character. Han was a selfish asshole at the start of A New Hope, but he was honest about his shittiness and abided by his word as best he could. If that Han got married I can see him getting a divorce quickly, but I can't see him just booking town and leaving it all behind.

>>13519506

Probably, but Dave Filoni and a few other guys working on Star Wars have been quoted as saying it in this particular case. They've said that to actually work on Star Wars you have to both love and hate it. You have to love it enough to watch, read and play the various entries but hate it enough to compulsively pick them apart for all the bad stuff stuff but still love it enough to use them as fuel to come up with your own better ideas.
>>
>>13518024
It's a bad summation of what Stover is trying to get across imo. The Shatterpoint novel with Mace Windu sums it up better:

A Jedi’s connection to the Force amplifies everything about us: it invests our smallest actions with the greatest conceivable weight. It makes us more of whatever we already are. If we are calm, it gives us serenity. If we are angry, it fills us with the rage of a god. Anger is a trap. You might think of it as a narcotic, not unlike glitterstim. Even the slightest taste can leave you with an appetite that never fades.

This is why we Jedi must strive always to build peace within ourselves: what is within will be reflected by what is without. The Force is One. We are part of the Force; it will always be, at least partially, whatever we are.
>>
>>13518024

> all the non-Jedi and non-Sith Force Users were not just reflections of the Dark Side distorting the force, but were legitimate ways of looking at and using the Force in their own right.

Is that typed correctly? The idea that all non-Jedi were dark side users inherently is kind of fucking stupid if it is. Disney canon holds it as no longer true regardless since one of the Clone Wars episodes had Mace Windu and Jar Jar travel to a planet full of non-Jedi/Sith force users who were not implied to be part of the Dark Side.

>>13519574

> Anger is a trap. You might think of it as a narcotic

That's actually true incidentally. It's been proven in various ways that the more you act on your anger the more you'll get angry. So if you scream in rage and beat the shit out of inanimate object to let off steam thinking it's causing no harm, it's actually slightly harmful in that it makes you more prone to get angry and normalize that anger as a response. And then need to vent more. You might never act harmfully upon that anger (and I'm sure many people don't), but they still end up angry more often than they need to basically.
>>
>>13519890
>The idea that all non-Jedi were dark side users inherently
It's not that they're all dark side users, but that they are unable to reach the lightside because their ideology and way of looking at the Force is inherently flawed and corrupt. That's why the Jedi had to spy on these groups and try to keep them contained when they were in power, because if these other movements had ever gained strength they could have tipped over into the Dark Side.
>>
>>13519574
I don't think that's what Vergere was saying at all though. She was saying that the Dark Side exists in us, sentient beings, and not in the greater Force as some kind of malevolent corrupting influence. It's basically the Christian Original Sin.
>>
>>13520356
Original Sin aka the Jungle in Shatterpoint
>>
>>13520372
The Jungle is different. It only exists inside black people.
>>
>>13520966
Was it really necessary to make Mace Windu be an Africa Man from the Dark Side Africa Planet?
>>
>>13521723
Isn't that also the planet Lando is from?
>>
>>13521729
Don't think so. All of Windu's people are super force sensitive and are basically a throwback to the magical negro from darkest Africa stereotype from colonial times.
>>
File: SmilingChar.gif (970 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
SmilingChar.gif
970 KB, 500x380
>>13497321
Thank you, Anon. Thank you very much.
>>
>>13520356
Vergere was also a crazy heretic who tortures people.
>>
>>13504625
>especially in Centerpoint itself, but given how much it's talked about, I'm guessing it's about as disposable as most of the rest of the EU?
I think I remember Centerpoint getting destroyed when the Vong were invading?
>>
>>13523098
And people still want this book's view on the Force to be canon?
>>
>>13497321
>.epub
>Not .lit
Time to pull out the Nook reader.
>>
>>13524430
just because we had some successful muppets in Star Wars didn't mean we needed edgelord Big Bird
>>
>>13524729

I kind of vaguely recall it being mentioned in passing a few times here and there throughout the old EU books, usually someone mentioning it in passing as being able to solve a particular crisis if they could use it, but not being able to for reasons.
>>
>>13524729
>>13525059

Centerpoint was locked to Anakin Solo's DNA. The one time someone not nakin fired it, it wiped out two thirds of an allied fleet in addition to half of a Vong fleet. For obvious reasons, they didn't use it again, especially after what happened to Anakin halfway through the NJO..

IIRC, it was finally destroyed during the atrocious LOTF arc.
>>
>>13524729
It was used on the Yuuzhan Vong during the invasion, but it all went wrong because Jacen had a fucking moral dilemma over whether they should fire a superweapon at evil space invaders, talked Anakin into standing down, then Thrackan fired Centerpoint instead and managed to nearly wipe out the Hapans in friendly fire, and locked the station's controls. Which wouldn't have happened if Anakin had fired. Which means that Jacen's moralistic philosophy bullshit is singlehandedly responsible for prolonging the war unnecessarily.
>>
>>13526390
>nearly wipe out the Hapans in friendly fire
That's putting it lightly. More than half their fleet was vaporised by that shot.
>>
>>13526430
I think "half the fleet" has lesser magnitude than "nearly wiped out", personally.
>>
>>13526390
And that's part of why early NJO is such bullshit. Each and every one of the characters was made into some kind of extended caricature of various positions. So Anakin was painted as a jingoistic hothead and Jacen was some anti-war hippie trying to understand the enemy. It really, finally, got better after Balance Point and Kathy Tyers forced the characters to stop acting like idiots after Duro, but damn it's so hard to actually get to that point.
>>
The short story compilations are strong. Tales of the bounty hunters, Jabbas palace, and Mos Eisley.
>>
>>13527122
>not mentioning Fey'lya and his council of morons
>>
File: disney star wars.jpg (3 MB, 1791x2791) Image search: [Google]
disney star wars.jpg
3 MB, 1791x2791
>>13518459

It's pretty shit already.
>>
>>13527346
He went out like a fucking boss though, that one moment redeemed him for me.
>>
People have mentioned John Jackson Miller, which is awesome. I would recommend reading Tales of the Jedi though before reading his KOTOR series.

And I recommend John Ostrander. Dawn of the Jedi explains the origins of everything. Star Wars Legacy is set over 100 years after Episode IV so it's not held tightly by continuity and it's pretty great.
>>
>>13527359

What in the fuck?

>>13528082

Yea, that one last stand was pretty amazing and made me love him despite how much of a douchey asshole he was for the entire build up.
>>
>>13526390
>>13527122
>yfw Jacen is the Kira Yamato of Star Wars
>>
>>13528776
If only Kira went randomly full evil later on for some totally unjustified ridiculous reason.
>>
>>13528790
Please be the SEED movie...
>>
>>13528776
Does that mean that Lacus is a Sith Lord?
>>
>>13528813
>Lacus is Lumiya
this is real funny.
>>
>>13528813
Lacus - Palpatine
Jesus - Anakin/Vader
Flay - Padme
>>
>>13528939
Dying because you lost your will isn't a good thing.
>>
>>13527346
I didn't want to. For being such minor characters, they fuck up worse than Job Truniht and Juan Rebello.
>>
>>13528175

Leia, Solo, and Chewbacca cut up some harmless Tie Fighter pilots with light sabers. Because fuck you.
>>
>>13528962
Lost the will to live is just fancy doctor speak for "I failed to save the patient so I'm going to blame the patient for dying rather than admit I suck at being a doctor."
>>
>>13528973

It was a medic bot, though.
>>
>>13528973
the bigger idiocy is how TFA sounds like JJ and co. compressing the majority of the EU into a smaller entity.

For example: Rey is more and more looking like a Jaina clone with the only difference being that she's Luke's daughter.

Kylo is a fucking Jacen/Revan hybrid.

add to that the evident reuse of everything....

It...just sounds like GSD.
>>
>>13528989

That is neither the majority of the EU, nor anything like Gundam SEED Destiny. A handful of examples doesn't make it the majority of the EU, nor does it make it impossible to fit in to film given what they are.

Also, if you have to invoke more than one character when claiming similarities, chances are that (a) the similarities are both unintended and superficial and (b) that you're reaching to justify them.
>>
>>13529016
>the similarities are both unintended and superficial

Sure, this is the same guy who told us that Khan was never going to be in STID. Look at where that went.
>>
>>13529031

Khan is one of the most famous elements of original Trek. Jaina, Revan and pretty much every element of the old EU is a far cry from that. They have some fans, but not nearly the amount of fans that a character like Khan would have within their respective communities.

And again, you're not even saying that any of them are straight rips, but saying they're hybrids. Based on the superficial evidence of trailers I might add. Rey being Jaina would appear to basically come down to "is a force sensitive clone of one of the original cast". Which in a franchise centered around the force and necessitating a new cast due to the age of the old one isn't actually saying much. The chances that the film is going to have a force user related to the old cast is like 99%. When you actually look at what a new film would require and the marketing going in to it, the chances of getting anything else are so minor as to be worthless. If it's female: oh, look Jaina clone. If it's male? Jacen clone.
>>
>>13529076

> force sensitive clone

Meant child there, not clone.
>>
>>13528977
Pretty shitty medic bot if it can't even deliver a kid without killing the mother.
>>
>>13528989
>having another evil skywalker and a female skywalker as the protagonist means abrams is stealing from the EU

Anakin/Vader is ripping off the EU too I guess. Guess Abrams is just follow Lucas then.
>>
>>13529076
Kylo already has the "#1 Anakin fanboy" trait which harkens him back to Jacen. Rey is evidently a mix of Mara and Jaina as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>13529088
No, not really. If the motivations are original, then it's pretty much moot. But when you have Kylo murmur that he wants to continue Vader's Legacy, and he's probably Han's son? That's too much of a coincidence.

Tldr: I can't wait for this anon to be BTFO'd when Rey begins calling herself sword of the Jedi
>>
So is this what EU cultists are reduced to now? Looking for random plot hooks that any Star Wars thing would come up with?

The EU's dead. Deal with it.
>>
>>13529204
It's not that much of a stretch, if Disney also wants to tap into EU nostalgia.
>>
>>13529204

JJ Abrams isn't that original, and the story group consults with him on stiff. Disney just didn't wan to deal with authors begging for royalties or split get hairs about what is true.
>>
>>13529099

Or she's fem Luke, bold country girl who goes on a adventure
>>
>>13529204
>The EU's dead
Yet Disney keeps using it as an inspiration for the new canon stories. It is not unlike any other fictional universe reboot, anon.
>>
>main character has a kid and the story is about the kid
oh holy shit clearly this must be from the EU and nobody else could think of such a unique idea
>>
>>13531175
We have a precedent.

And Disney's stated several times they haven't disowned the old EU completely.
>>
>>13531101

Not slavishly though. They have introduced a good bit of their own stuff, quite a bit of stuff inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's art, some of West End Games stuff and some bits of the old EU. Even then, some of that old EU stuff has only been superficially the same and not identical.
>>
I just want a new starfighter game.
>>
File: 12212323534533.gif (383 KB, 257x266) Image search: [Google]
12212323534533.gif
383 KB, 257x266
>Shadows of the Empire is canon
>>
File: 2069465-1[1].jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
2069465-1[1].jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>>13533678
>>
>>13533678
Is it? I mean, as far as SW fans go, Shadows the Empire is pretty much considered canon. Lucas even made sure it had as much merchandising push and publicity as a main movie.

I find it strange that it didn't make it's way into the post-EU canon wipe, seeing as how it's a side story between Empire and Jedi.
>>
>>13533849
Because Lucas is no longer involved.
>>
>>13531175
They don't need to "think" of anything. Everything is already there for Disney to use.
>>
>>13533678
Shadows of the Empire is the reason I got an N64. I loved that game.
>>
>>13533849
Lucas was even more heavily involved with The Force Unleashed, but that's still non-canon now.
>>
>>13533875
Yeah but force Unleashed didn't get entire waves of action figures and merchandise, shelf space at book stores, ect.

Also, Shadows of the Empire was actually "good", unlike FU.
>>
>>13533892
I liked the comic adaptation of Force Unleashed as it was told through Proxy's POV and was much better paced than the game.
>>
>>13495818
>the thrawn trilogy(heir to the empire)
>darth Bane (rule of two trilogy)
>darth plagueis if you're into sith lore
>>
>>13533815

>DR. XIZOR, I'M SMUGGLER.
>>
>>13507529
>>13495831
>>13495916
>>13496236
>>13496461
>>13497054
>>13497099
>>13533928
Not a single "new" EU novel mentioned? Am I literally the only one who enjoyed some of them? Tarkin and Lords of the Sith were good.
>>
>>13536679

Haven't read them. I heard Tarkin was alright but my Star Wars days are behind me so I haven't been as vested in new material.
>>
On the note of this

Does anyone have a link to that google doc on why a person was glad the EU was made non-canon, and it basically linked to every stupid thing the EU ever did?
>>
>>13536978
I'd like to know this, as well.
>>
>>13536679
There haven't been a ton of them. The ones post RoTJ were a bit dumb. One of them was written in this weird second person narrative
>>
>>13528977
It was a MEdic bot from a shitty backwater, since they couldn't go anywhere important without being noticed by the empire. The Medic bot was probably confused why there was no Cloaka
>>
>>13538671
Why didn't they just dunk her in bacta?
>>
>>13540716
Are we even ever shown bacta tanks being used in the prequels?
>>
>>13538671
>probably confused why there was no Cloaka
I wonder how dubbing Zoidberg over it would work.
>>
How many of the old EU writers are still involved with writing Star Wars books for the new canon?
>>
>>13548049
Right out of my head, James Luceno wrote Tarkin where he canonized some of the stuff he wrote in Darth Plagueis novel.

Actually, quite a few old writes are working on the new canon.
>>
>>13548071
Such a shame they had to get new and crap writers for Aftermath and Lost Stars
>>
>>13495818
Core stuff in the Old EU:
Post Endor: Thrawn Trilogy, The X-wing Novels and Comics, several short stories in the Tales Of/From books, (The Zahn-Stackpole combination works are pretty amazing) Hand of Thrawn Duology to cap it off. Truce at Bakura is good, the original Marvel Comics are fun and campy and do include some post-endor stuff that was sorta interesting.

Books I liked that Squandered their potential: Darksaber, it could ahve been two good books, one a pure comedy about the Hutt Shoestring-budget Superlaser and why you DON'T try to strong-arm Leia with a Deathstar clone, and another about the internal politics of Imperial reunification... But they included Luke's creepy undead robot girlfriend from Children of the Jedi, which was another pretty good idea that got squandered.

Post Endor comics other than X-Wing stuff already mentioned... Uh I guess Crimson Empire is decent despite the very 90s plot and bad art, Dark Empire is stupid in 7 different ways but unfortunately required reading since it sets the stage for other stuff.

Empire era stuff. The comics Dark Times, Agent of the Empire (Don't read any of Ostrander's other Star Wars stuff, it's all shit) Empire And Rebellion (ESPECIALLY Empire and its sequel Rebellion) \
Books, short stories from the TRales of/ From stuff.

The Han Solo Trilogy and the Han Solo Adventures Trilogy/Omnibus, the Lando Calrisian Adventures Trilogy/Omnibus. (Han Solo Trilogy is more serious, the "Adventures" series is more campy)

>>13496236
>Hand of Thrawn Duology - Officially the "end" of the post-Rebellion EU and the start of the New Republic EU. Has some good battles but little else.
Uh what? It's the "End" of the Bantam EU and the start of the Del-Ray EU and it's basically a lvoe letter to all the good parts of the Bantam EU with a few nods and corrections to the bad parts, shit is Great.

>>13495848
John Jackson Miller is the heir to Allston's place in the EU Trinity.

(Yub Yub Commander, rest in peace)
>>
>>13497054
No, don't even bother with the Jedi Academy Trilogy, just read I, Jedi, one of the Complete chronologies, the Technical manuals, and the wiki. Telling someone to slog through KJA's worst SW work is just cruel. (KJA can be good when he's working with other people, he and his wife made the Young Jedi Knights books really great.)
Also just "Everything By Zahn" could be a good way to put it, that means Scoundrels, Allegiance, Choices of One and the finale to Choices of One that comes packaged with the ...Anniversary? Edition of the Thrawn Trilogy (I still haven't read that one) and anything I'm forgetting.

Bounty Hunter Wars is also good.

>>13497114
>>13497133
I liked them though True colors was sorta middling and Order 66 and Impcom both sucked, and don;'t get me started on anything she wrote that was set post-Endor.
>>
>>13550186
>and it's basically a lvoe letter to all the good parts of the Bantam EU
That was the NJO's job too. Sure, Del Rey did it, but the sheer quantity of callbacks to old plot threads from prior EU novels, you can't tell me the writers weren't continuing their love letter.
>>
>>13509870
Skirmish is definitely broken, but they've fixed the gamebreaking parts of Galactic Conquest.

>>13510744
He was mostly annoyed that they didn't even TELL him, he wouldn't have minded if he was just told first.

>>13510891
Also she got brain damage form sex with Tarkin. You could say it was.... Mind Blowing.

>>13513397
>>Lots of comics in the 90s with interesting ideas, good art, and shit writing. A lot of these stories were expanded and used as the backstory for KOTOR the video game.
Eh, other than inserting KJA's Supernova Fetish into the story, I have to say that the Tales of the Jedi comics were pretty great.
>>
>>13507529
This is the best list in this thread for novels, but completely fails to mention some excellent non-novel material.

>Comics
Tales of the Jedi
Dark Empire
Crimson Empire
Dawn of the Jedi
Legacy

>Games
The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series
X-Wing/TIE Fighter
Knights of the Old Republic I and II
Republic Commando
The Force Unleashed (just the first one)
>>
>>13504739
No, the MAW was the Prison, Centerpoint was the LOCK on the prison.

>>13526390
Centerpoint was just too OP for any part of the plot to make sense, same reason they threw the sun crusher into a black hole instead of just firing off the last of its warheads and using the ship itself as a glorified battering ram to pull off the Arvel Crynd handshake without ever dying.

>>13527346
Borsk Fail Ya (I could not believe it when I learned it was pronounced that way, I always read it as Feyla for some reason.)

>>13528082
>>13528175
Fuck that, he didn't deserve a goddamn good death after regressing to his Pre Hand-of-Thrawn level bullshit.

>>13527359
Christ that's awful, though at least the artist drew Han having a hard time handling it and nearly chopping his own arm off.
>>
>>13533875
>>13533892

TFU didn't have that much Lucas involvement, Lucas just gets more involved with Video Games than Comics and Hayden Blackman had only recently transitioned over to Video Game writing so he thought seeing Lucas visit in person made his game special.

>>13533927
Blackman's always been better at comics.
>>
File: Lady Lucy.jpg (1 MB, 1446x931) Image search: [Google]
Lady Lucy.jpg
1 MB, 1446x931
>>13550255
>using the ship itself as a glorified battering ram
Man, what a waste of Lusankya.
>>
>>13550239
Games: Bounty Hunter
Comics: Jango Fett Open Seasons

>>13550276
God, it really was, though the New Republic had at least one more SSD (Guardian or something? It's from a WEG adventure book where the players track it down in deep-space repair since the Warlord who owned it didn't have the ability to protect a full shipyard,) plus the Mon Cal Star Defender line was starting to come out.

But still, the big L was really more deserving than that.

Speaking of which I really want to see the Orinda Campaign in book form. Lusankya and reaper facing off until Pappa Pellaeon lures Wedge into a trap and drops two MORE SSDs on top of him.

I totally want to run a Star Wars campaign set sometime after Orinda but before the Moffs force Pellaeon on the offensive, I'd change a few details like Dark Empire, Darksaber, Children of the Jedi, and Crimson Empire to be less insane but it would mostly be the players as an Imperial Remnant Dedstab team out to help the Empire gain resources via a good-PR campaign against Slavery. Starting with the careful conquest of the Senex-Juvex sectors since the New Republic can't risk the bad PR of defending slavers.
>>
>>13550276
Wedge never liked her anyway, and for the cost of a single Executor class SSD you could get more firepower out of building multiple Impstar Deuces.

Did they just leave Isard on board when they rammed it into the Vong ship or did they forget she was supposed to be imprisoned in a biohazard containment chamber aboard?
>>
>>13550313
>more deserving than that
Literally Isard's mindrape dungeon deserved more than a glorious kamikaze strike after all her guns had been moved to other ships where they could be better used for things (that sadly do not include orbital bombardment)?
>>
>>13550328
I thought she died, like they were going to lock her up and she pulled a holdout blaster which got her shot by Mirax.

>>13550345
The point of an SSD is durability and acting as a mobile base for other capital ships.
>>
>>13550368
>The point of an SSD is durability and acting as a mobile base for other capital ships.
The point of an SSD is to be a vanity showpiece and an extravagant display of Imperial might.

You do remember the Lusankya was originally defeated by a pair of Star Destroyers (one of which only showed up at the last minute), a vintage droid-crewed frigate, two squadrons of snubfighters, and a motley collection of freighters with missiles?

And Zsinj kept running away and refusing to bring Iron Fist too close to a gravity well when fighting with Solo's task force because it wouldn't have stood up in a serious fight.

>I thought she died, like they were going to lock her up and she pulled a holdout blaster which got her shot by Mirax.
The internal narration for her "death" is suspiciously reminiscent of all the times Corran Horn's "deaths". And there were some ambiguous statements by Iella as to whether she actually did survive and was imprisoned on Lusankya as threatened.
>>
>>13550424
Dozens to hundreds of freighters shooting Hundreds of of Torpedoes from at LEAST 300 launchers, a pair of ISDs that jumped into he blind spot and caught her in an ambush.

And this is back when Stackpole was going on the (mistaken but official at the time) information that SSDs were only 8km long and he always tended to underestimate capital ship shielding.
>>
>>13550368
>>13550454
Remember, the conception of an SSD during the early EU was only 8km, and both Stackpole and Allston had a tendency to make capital ships lose shield quadrants a bit too easily.

I self-retcon the task-forces to about double size since the SSDs were themselves doublesize.
>>
>>13548729
I agree. Haven't read it yet, but I heard Aftermath sucks and the author was such a whiny bitch that he accused anyone who criticized it of being a homophobe because it had gay characters in it.

I really wish that they'd invite some of the better EU authors like Zahn, Stover and even Stackpole to write in the new EU (maybe even get Zahn to write an arc reintroducing Thrawn to the new canon, that would be awesome).
>>
>>13550461
Current extended canon would suggest SSDs are just as much jobbers as before, given the Imperial Navy brought one to Jakku and all it was good for was crashing into the planet to prevent the New Republic from pulling a Lusankya. Which come to think of it, the Lusankya's captain intended to do back in The Bacta War.
>>
>>13550502
I was talking about lade-old-EU.

And really? Where did they cover the Jakku SSD? (Which also seems extremely small, the engines are nowhere near wide enough to be a standard Executor Class)
>>
File: 1230712035409982280.png (462 KB, 800x329) Image search: [Google]
1230712035409982280.png
462 KB, 800x329
>>13550523
>And really? Where did they cover the Jakku SSD? (Which also seems extremely small, the engines are nowhere near wide enough to be a standard Executor Class)
I don't have a very good sense for scale, but I read that this looked to some people to more resemble the backside of a fragment of an SSD than of a regular Star Destroyer.
I seem to have mixed that up with the deliberately crashed Inflictor which was just a run of the mill SD.
So I guess stand corrected.
>>
>>13536679
Lost Stars was also good
>>
>>13550276
She deserved better
>>
File: executor hoth.jpg (39 KB, 856x480) Image search: [Google]
executor hoth.jpg
39 KB, 856x480
>>13550542
>>13550523
The scale is off, but the offset placement of the exhaust could be from an upside-down Executor-class. If we were to assume that the production crew cared more for proper scale than nostalgia (which is probably unlikely), it could be the aft thrusters of another Dreadnought, possibly the Assertor-class. It might also be one of the Praetor or Procutro-class battlecruisers for which we've never seen depicted before (but one of whose primary reactors was cannibalized by the Rebel Alliance for use on Hoth to power Echo Base's primary shields)
>>
>>13550475
>Haven't read it yet, but I heard (thing) sucks
Gee I wonder where I've heard that before.
>>
>>13552241
Aftermath was literally written by a twitter celebrity who got the job because of a campaign by his followers, and seemed more concerned with using it as a political statement than with writing good science fiction.
>>
>>13550475
>because it had gay characters in it
Did people really complain about that? I'd have thought they would get over it after the gay Mando farmers.
>>
>>13553951
>Did people really complain about that?

Not about the homosexuality, but more about how the writing sucked and that the Big 3 weren't in it. And of course a whole load of reviewers demanding that they recanonize the Legends EU.

He tried to make the issue about homosexuality and it just didn't work since there was only one nutjob that cared. People were crying more about their precious Expanded Univese.

http://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Journey-Force-Awakens/dp/034551162X
>>
Why didn't the Death Star have any Star Destroyers escorting it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.