[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thank God for Origin. Despite the shitty CG, it does everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: main.jpg (160 KB, 560x830) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
160 KB, 560x830
Thank God for Origin. Despite the shitty CG, it does everything right that Unicorn didn't.

Gundam Unicorn is really fucking bad. I'd rather watch G-Saviour all over again that sit through an episode of Unicorn.
>>
>>13494803
The only thing you need to be better than Unicorn is have a story that makes sense and have any kind of purpose other than just showcasing giant robots.
>>
>>13494803
What the fuck did origin do right? It doesn't even have real MS battles.
>>
>>13495052
Nor should it, considering when it is set. It's seriously offensive that it even has Guntanks and those 'mobile workers'.

>>13494803
The Origin is an interesting alternate take on the backstory but it would be nice if the writer gave the slightest fuck about established continuity. Still, it's telling a story that has not yet been told in animation and I prefer that to a straight remake of First Gundam which would be entirely without worth.
>>
>>13495129
>it would be nice if the writer gave the slightest fuck about established continuity.

It certainly fits better in continuity than Unicorn's stupid 'this Evil FeddieJew conspiracy was the real reason all the bad things in UC happened and therefore Zeon did nothing wrong' bullshit.
>>
> another Unicorn hate thread

Tis the season apparently.

>>13494943

Unicorn's story does make sense. Whether it's good or not is a different matter, but it makes perfect sense.

>>13495150

> the real reason

It's never once suggested as the reason anything bad happened. The Zabis and the citizens of Zeon weren't aware of the box and even if they were, they barely cared about newtypes and were more concerned with independence. Even if newtypes were given perfect equality by the time of 0079, then the Zabis would have used different rhetoric for the few times that newtypes come up.

Also, Unicorn condemns Zeon at least once an episode and it's not even vaguely blunt about it. Banagher sits in the middle of a Zeon family and tells them that nothing was worth the colony drop as an example.

Unicorn has plenty of actual reasons to dislike it. Why would you feel the need to make shit up to do so instead of just using those?
>>
>>13495178
>It's never once suggested as the reason anything bad happened.

Did you miss Riddhe's monologue? He outright says the Federation sealing the Box made the rise of Zeon inevitable.

>Also, Unicorn condemns Zeon at least once an episode

Every single time Unicorn 'condemns' Zeon, its followed by a five minute monologue by a sympathetic Zeon character about how noble and righteous Zeon's cause is. Then adds in how the Fedration is even worse because of some retconned in atrocity or Evil Conspiracy nonsense.
>>
>>13495129
>The Origin is an interesting alternate take on the backstory but it would be nice if the writer gave the slightest fuck about established continuity.
>alternate take
>should still match the established backstory
So not an alternate take at all then
>>
>>13495221
>Did you miss Riddhe's monologue? He outright says the Federation sealing the Box made the rise of Zeon inevitable.

Did you miss the fact that Riddhe is wrong? That's his entire purpose in the story, to be the guy that's basically always wrong. He was wrong to try and maintain the status quo, he was wrong to try and manipulate Marida in to marrying him, he was wrong to kill Loni (at least the story wants you to feel bad for it anyways) and he was wrong about the box.

How was Zeon's rise caused by the box when they didn't even know about the box?

> Every single time Unicorn 'condemns' Zeon, its followed by a five minute monologue by a sympathetic Zeon character about how noble and righteous Zeon's cause is. Then adds in how the Fedration is even worse because of some retconned in atrocity or Evil Conspiracy nonsense.

And then Banagher or someone else usually refutes it by saying that just because they believed in a good thing it's not actually cause to do the things they did. The Federation as an army is almost universally filled with cool guys like Daguza in Unicorn too. It's only the politicians who are shown to be dickbags. Which was true since 0079. The Sleeves on the other hand have people like Full Frontal who is ready to kill Marida to find out some information, Angelo who is his lapdog and so on. The only sympathetic Zeon soldiers show are essentially the crew of the Garanceries, who fall more in line with Marida in the first place.
>>
>>13495263

Fall more in line with Mineva even.
>>
>>13495263
>And then Banagher or someone else usually refutes it by saying that just because they believed in a good thing it's not actually cause to do the things they did.
The best argument Banana could come up with was "b-but they started the war so they're bad".

The only bad things Zeon ever did that are acknowledged in Unicorn are "started the war" and "dropped the colony". Hated by all spacenoids? No, they were the light of hope. Killed half of humanity and gassed colonies? Never brought up. Were space nazis who forced people out of a colony so they could make a superweapon out of it? I can't hear you over all this light of hope.
>>
>>13495283
*by most spacenoids
>>
Valvrager is that you
>>
>>13495283
This. For all the 'condemning' that Zeon gets in Unicorn, the fact that Zeon murdered a couple billion Spacenoids at the start of their 'War for Spacenoid Liberation' goes completely unmentioned. Instead, it's taken as a fact that Spacenoids love Zeon so much that they'll lovingly flock to Frontal's 'Co-Prosperity Sphere' without batting an eyelid. Gotta love that Light of Hope, after all.'
>>
>>13495283

> The best argument Banana could come up with was "b-but they started the war so they're bad".

Not really, no, given that he also notes that nothing justifies something as horrific as the colony drops and beats up Zinnerman for letting Loni have free reign to murder civilians out of a fucked up desire for personal vengeance. Something the crew of Zinnerman's own ship stand by and let him do at that.

> The only bad things Zeon ever did that are acknowledged in Unicorn are "started the war" and "dropped the colony".

How is that a case of "only"? Those are two major fucking things.

> Hated by all spacenoids?

They never were though. If they were then Haman and Char wouldn't have been able to dredge up their own rebellions using Zeon's name and cause.

> Killed half of humanity

Riddhe comments on that.

> gassed colonies

That one isn't mentioned, but enough other stuff is mentioned that I don't even see how it matters. Do you expect it to go down a list or something?

> I can't hear you over all this light of hope.

Here's a funny thing. You can't have grey villains who have some degree of depth and complexity for their actions without lending their actions some degree of plausibility or reason. Marida's light of hope speech was meant to explain why people (like Ramba for instance) supported Zeon in the first place and do up to that point, including in Char's Counterattack or ZZ. It's not meant to exonerate all evils they did, only explain them. If you can't see the difference and that Zeon is still supposed to be seen in a bad light despite them then I've no idea what to say to you.
>>
>>13494803
Your opinion goes to >>>/trash/
>>
>>13495052
For starters, the characters are actually enjoyable and entertaining to watch.
>>
>>13494803
Is this UC canon (I've heard the manga isn't)?
>>
>>13496200
Who gives a shit about canon when you actually have a work that's actually good, and worth watching?
>>
>>13496216
I agree quality is important, but I am just curious.
>>
Is Unicorn replacing G-Reco for shitposting?
>>
File: char_33725[1].jpg (11 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_33725[1].jpg
11 KB, 210x240
In this hour of victory, we can only taste defeat.

I ask: why?

We are Newtypes, inheritors of the Universe. Our seed grows in this fertile ground, growing slowly and gradually.

We are the eternal light of hope, to which all humans must aspire to be! To become the true protectors of the Earth and its descendants.

I stand before you, accused of the 'sin' of ensuring Newtype supremacy.

Of attempting to save us from this fate of degradation that has been forced upon us.

The Oldtypes remain as the single greatest threat in the Universe. Refusing to destroy them is a fool's gambit.

We squander ages in the darkness, while they take our own achievements for their own.

The gifts of the Universe belong to Newtypes alone.

Think of my future acts as you will.

But do not doubt your reality: our ascendancy has already begun.

And you are hopeless to stop it.
>>
So has anyone found the english dub for Origin 2 anywhere yet? It's been about 2 weeks since I last checked and the only place it seems to be is 15$ on youtube (fuck that)
>>
>>13496477
Nevermind I just checked and it looks like Nyaa finally has an upload with the english dubs

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=753827&showcomments=a1d8b122

here u guys go if anyone else wants it
>>
File: 1425224669985.jpg (238 KB, 860x720) Image search: [Google]
1425224669985.jpg
238 KB, 860x720
>>13495052
>>
Would it be better to read the manga or follow along with the OVA?

I'm about to finish 0079 at the moment
>>
>Valvrager thread
>>
The Origin is nice but should just be one movie, they drag something very basic out for a long time

Seeing Casval become char is sort of interesting but they don't explore that path very much. I don't feel I've learnt anything important about his character that I didn't know already, I just know sexy young Kycilia tried to rape him and he rode a horse. Same with all the other characters
>>
>>13496652
are you not aware that this is an adaptation of The Origin manga and is following it panel by panel volume by volume? The next episode is Char's days in the academy with Garma.
>>
>>13496687
Yes and that is usually not a good idea as mediums do not perfectly translate into each other

You also didn't even address anything I said
>>
>>13496299
Different.

Idiots are the ones shitposting about G-Reco.
>>
>>13495129
>Nor should it, considering when it is set.
>It's seriously offensive that it even has Guntanks
Let's look at it from the story's point of view. The protagonist mecha was always the Gundam. Guntank and Guncannon were the series' attempt to do the stupid sidekick robots that were so prevalent in the 70s. Yas eschews that shit and replaces it with predecessor models to the Gundam, Project V's actual target.

>and those 'mobile workers'.
Mobile suits must've come from somewhere. The farthest that we see on the series is MS-05. What are 01 to 04? The Origin attempts to answer that question.
The fact that these episodes are or aren't in continuity with the anime is a different story altogether.

>but it would be nice if the writer gave the slightest fuck about established continuity
You mean "acknowledging all the OVAs and sidestories obsessively, like Unicorn did", right? It would've been nice for nerdy reasons, but The Origin is better as its own thing. That canon is confusing and contradictary at times.
And "the writer" you so casually speak of is Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, a person who was essential during Mobile Suit Gundam's production.

>and I prefer that to a straight remake of First Gundam which would be entirely without worth.
In which sense? 0079 is almost 40 years old at this point. Say what you will, but the animation looks really dated. The best template for a full adaptation of The Origin would be what was done with Yamato 2199.
Also, "First Gundam" (a term that's only used in Japanese: 「ファーストガンダム」) sounds really fucking stupid. I prefer to call it "0079" as shorthand. And you know who's to blame for it? SEED. It was the first AU to use the moniker "Mobile Suit/Kidou Senshi" outside of UC shows and OVAs. Before that, Wing used "New Mobile Report/Shin Kidou Senki", X used "After War/Kidou Shin Seiki", and so on. After SEED, all the subsequent AUs (00, garbAGE, Tekketsu) began to use "Mobile Suit" as a tagline too
>>
>>13496323
Is this the Didact's monologue from the end of Halo 4?
>>
>>13496743
>Yes and that is usually not a good idea as mediums do not perfectly translate into each other
You need to understand the level of respect that Yasuhiko commands among the anime-production community. The only way this anime would've been done is as a literal 1-to-1 adaptation of the source material. It's less of an adaptation and more of a "translation" of the manga to anime.
>>
>>13494803
>Gundam Unicorn is really fucking bad.
I love this meme. Literally everyone knows Unicorn is one of the best Gundam shows.
>>
>>13497237
>The best template for a full adaptation of The Origin would be what was done with Yamato 2199.
Please kill yourself
>>
File: 1372732771275.jpg (202 KB, 753x519) Image search: [Google]
1372732771275.jpg
202 KB, 753x519
>>13497237
>The best template for a full adaptation of The Origin would be what was done with Yamato 2199.
So making key characters female for no reason other than fanservice

Make Zeon entirely justified in their actions

Turn Char into a kek

Ryu and Matilda don't die at all

And look as souless as the new Star Trek movies
>>
>>13497251
>Literally everyone knows Unicorn is one of the best Gundam shows.
http://boards.4chan.org/MAL
>>
File: YESU PLEASE.png (425 KB, 785x510) Image search: [Google]
YESU PLEASE.png
425 KB, 785x510
>>13497294
>So making key characters female for no reason other than fanservice
Stopped reading here
>>
>>13497294
You sure you don't work for Sunrise?
>>
>>13497294

John Job becomes Cathy Career
>>
File: 1447258485637.jpg (65 KB, 473x312) Image search: [Google]
1447258485637.jpg
65 KB, 473x312
>>13497280
>>13497294
>Yamato 2199
>bad
bitter old fart neckbeard or triggerd tumblina?
>>
>>13497243
>You need to understand the level of respect that Yasuhiko commands among the anime-production community.
Again, that isn't really a good thing. Muh honouru shouldn't get in the way
>>
>>13497331
>Yamato 2199
>good

Found the newfag
>>
File: really faggot.jpg (46 KB, 575x517) Image search: [Google]
really faggot.jpg
46 KB, 575x517
>>13497331
You're the same kind of retard that thinks Unicorn was good because it looked pwetty.
>>
File: tip.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
tip.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>>13497341
>>13497343
>>
>>13494803
>Another Unicorn thread
Is this an attempt to get all discussions about it banned like with Valvrave?
>>
>>13498427
That would imply it worked for Valvrave.
>>
>>13498434
Well it kinda did.
>>
>>13497294
No key characters were turned female. Akira was a minor character in the original.

>Make Zeon entirely justified in their actions
Go watch the show. The fact that Earth shot first doesn't mean that Dessler wasn't leading an empire bent on conquering others. Earth would've been nuked by the Garmillas even if they extended an olive branch.

>Turn Char into a kek
What's that supposed to mean?

>And look as souless as the new Star Trek movies
So, you didn't watch 2199. Great.
>>
>>13498698

Not really. Just because Valvrager posted a picture saying it's true doesn't make it true. Nor does the fact none of his threads have any discussion on it, because when he is gone there is the occasional active thread that is civil and has actual discussion of the show. All he's done is ensure that it has a lot of shitty threads, rather than the very occasional okay thread most older one off shows get.
>>
>>13497243
>You need to understand the level of respect that Yasuhiko commands among the anime-production community.
Miyazaki and Dezaki gets their cocks sucked even more than either Yas or Tomino and even then there are some fans that still find some problems with some of their works while still liking them very much. Maybe you should try something like that.
>>
>>13498922
Occasional is generous.

More like once in a blue moon.
>>
File: 1394373707364.gif (3 MB, 597x336) Image search: [Google]
1394373707364.gif
3 MB, 597x336
>>13498787
>NO U: The post
>>
>>13498925
>Maybe you should try something like that.
What I was saying is that there is a logical explanation as to why the OVAs are a 1-to-1 translation of the manga. The japs weren't going to do anything with The Origin except a perfect adaptation.
>>
>>13498922
>posted a picture saying it's true
Posted a picture of a post made in the archive. It wasn't even on 4chinz.
>>
>>13497343
After watching 0083/008th/CCA, Unicorn looked unimpressive as fuck.
>>
>>13495312

Go to bed. You are like that one guy that keeps defending Unicorn with your head canons
>>
>>13497251
I was thinking that until the last episode which was so bad I now hate it and rank it below every other UC ova.
>>
>>13495263
One shitty Marida isn't enough to justify all the bullshit Neo Zeon has done
>>
>>13500950

What exactly is head canon there?

>>13501132

She isn't meant to.
>>
>>13501208
Oh she was meant to alright. The sheer stupidity of her rape story almost made me flip my shit over .

Why is Fukui such a shit writer?
>>
>>13501285

If she was meant to justify all the bullshit Neo Zeon has done then why did the head of Neo Zeon stand by while she was in trouble in the second episode just so he could maybe find out a little information? Frontal was willing to let her die for some information and by the end she had basically abandoned Neo Zeon to side with Mineva and Banagher instead. Hell, her story makes Zeon as a whole look worse, Neo Zeon and the Sleeves included, not better.

Her backstory is grimderp shit and Fukui is a bad writer, but she is not meant to make Neo Zeon look sympathetic or right.
>>
>>13501292
>she is not meant to make Neo Zeon look sympathetic

That's definitely the case with Loni, where killing is depicted as somehow being worse than killing Space Hitler, whereas those babies she vaporised don't count because somehow the families and friends of soldiers aren;t considered human.

It should also be noted that every sympathetic Zeon character in Unicorn is a victim of the Evil Federation. Marida, Zimemerman, Loni, even Angelo in the novels.

>or right.

That's what the Laplace Box is for.
>>
>>13501413

> That's definitely the case with Loni

She, as an individual is definitely meant to evoke sympathy but mostly it's meant to be seen as tragic that Riddhe killed her just as she was realizing how wrong what she was doing is because Riddhe didn't have access to that information. She isn't however meant to evoke sympathy for Zeon as a whole, since part of the tragedy is that Banagher convinces her that what she's doing on behalf of Zeon is bad. Fukui might have his own stupid ideas, but mostly the comments regarding the civilian population seem meant to convey that the city is emptier than usual given the time the attack took place and that Zeon saw them as a valid military target since it's a military city, not that the people she killed were inhuman.

> That's what the Laplace Box is for

No, it isn't. It's meant to convey that not just Loni is a tragedy but the history of UC as a whole is one of tragedy because the Box should have prevented the events that happened but didn't both because it was buried and because, more importantly, the Zabis and Zeon as a whole didn't actually give two shits about what the box said even if they had known of it. Which they didn't. The original Zeon barely cared about newtypism and only really used it occasionally for rhetoric to drum up some support. If newtypes had been part of the government all along then they'd have simply found a different cause for rhetoric.

It wouldn't have even prevented Zeon himself from founding a cause, since he was more worried about the Earth and it's environment than he was about newtypes, which is why Contolism is mostly about the idea of moving everyone off the Earth and not solely or even largely about newtypes.

If you think the Box exonerates Zeon and it's actions then you either weren't paying attention or more likely are just looking for a simplistic soundbite to justify your dislike of the OVA because no-one ever suggests this during the entire OVA.
>>
>>13494803
So, do we know just how many episodes Origin have?
>>
>>13501493
only enough to cover Char's little 0079 prequel bit
>>
>>13501413
Marida is the victim of both the feds and the zeeks

I thought the whole point of 90% of every Gundam story was to highlight how every fucking side is packed with degenerate scum-sucking filth?
>>
>>13501622

It is. Except that if the villain faction gets shown to be baby eating monsters with no depth or humanity people bitch about them being cartoony (the Titans, the Vagans etc) while if the villains have any depth, especially if they're a Zeon faction, then it's Zeon wank and apologism no matter how it and the Federation analogue are portrayed.
>>
>>13501413
>That's definitely the case with Loni, where killing is depicted as somehow being worse than killing Space Hitler, whereas those babies she vaporised don't count because somehow the families and friends of soldiers aren;t considered human.
Where did you get that idea that they "don't count"?
>>
What's with Gundam fans stupid intra-franchise shitflinging?
>>
>>13501644

The director made a comment that

> While 40,000 people died at Dakar in the novels, in the OVA most of the damage done was to buildings because it was a weekend. People living at Torrington were affiliated with the army (soldiers and their family) so there was no declaration of war after that either. Frontal had no intention of starting a war, the attacks were mostly to let the Zeon remnants let off some steam.

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16110&start=100

/m/ being /m/ has taken this to mean that no-one considered the people killed human, when what it almost certainly means is that the anime wanted to downplay the number killed from the novel and that it wasn't considered a declaration of war because the city was a military target not a civilian one, given that it was a town that serviced a military base and the military base was the first thing attacked. I've no idea why hitting a military target wouldn't be considered a declaration of war on either end (Pearl Harbor for instance), but it apparently wasn't even a consideration given that Frontal figured it wouldn't result in such a declaration.
>>
>>13501622
>both the feds and zeeks
Nah I'm pretty damn sure it's just the feds.

Or to put it in a more logical way, it's her own fucking fault for not even attempting to escape from the whorehouse back to a military base or something. I'm pretty sure she's stronger than a normal human due to her cyber newtype genes, escaping should have been easy for her, but nooo.
>>
>>13501719

Sure easy to do when you're 10.
>>
>>13501719

> Zeon turned her in to a cyber newtype, trained her as a pilot and forced her to become a child soldier
> Randomers turned her in to a whore when her handler died
> The Feds are the ones to blame

That is some serious mental gymnastics you're doing there. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you're reaching so hard to justify it as Zeonwank that it's actually Zeonwank on your part trying to absolve them of blame and place it on the Feds.
>>
File: classic.jpg (36 KB, 560x758) Image search: [Google]
classic.jpg
36 KB, 560x758
>>13501719
>it's her own fucking fault for not even attempting to escape from the whorehouse
Blaming the victim.

Classic
>>
>>13498787
jewmods put a filter on the word "cuk". It turns into "kek"
>>
>>13501681
>most of the damage done was to buildings because it was a weekend

Changing and downplaying the number of casualties so that Zeon won't look bad. How is this not Zeonwank again?

>because the city was a military target not a civilian one, given that it was a town that serviced a military base and the military base was the first thing attacked

The 'no-one considered the people killed human' may be an exaggeration, but the gist of it is basically the same; the people there were affiliated with the military, therefore you shouldn't feel too bad about their deaths. It's just apologism and justifying Zeon's actions.

>mostly to let the Zeon remnants let off some steam
He might as well just said the Zeon did nothing wrong.
>>
>>13502202
>>because the city was a military target not a civilian one, given that it was a town that serviced a military base and the military base was the first thing attacked
It also assumes that military people's families don't matter. Should we overlook a little girl's death just because she looked up to her dad who was a soldier?
>>mostly to let the Zeon remnants let off some steam
>Boy, i sure am pissed, i should destroy an entire city. Oh, don't start a war over this, i was just letting off some steam, lol
>>
>>13495221
>He outright says the Federation sealing the Box made the rise of Zeon inevitable.
How long has it been since you last saw episode 5, anon?
>>
>>13502177
So the word kek (cook-old) is wordfiltered to kek? Awesome. I was tired of that fucking buzzword.
>>
>>13502376
Probably just somebody who doesn't like people misusing a word so much that it loses all of its meaning. So yeah, pretty much what you said.
>>
>>13497343
I want one of those Yggdrasil cups.
>>
>>13502202

> Changing and downplaying the number of casualties so that Zeon won't look bad. How is this not Zeonwank again?

No, changing and downplaying it so that Loni herself wouldn't look as bad. She is a separate entity from Zeon.

> The 'no-one considered the people killed human' may be an exaggeration, but the gist of it is basically the same

No, it isn't.

> the people there were affiliated with the military, therefore you shouldn't feel too bad about their deaths. It's just apologism and justifying Zeon's actions.

That's not what the conclusion should be except in the minds of morons on /m/. The conclusion isn't supposed to be "it was a military target therefor no-one should feel bad", the conclusion is "it was a military target and that's why Zeon picked it, sucks for the folks there but that was their reasoning".

> He might as well just said the Zeon did nothing wrong.

How is that making Zeon look better and not worse out of interest? Frontal picking a target that had civilians present so that Loni could do exactly what she did and so that the Zeon remnants would feel exactly like Zinnerman did doesn't make them look better and the proof is in both (a) the fact you think it makes them shitty and (b) the fact that Banagher beats up Zinnerman while his crew watches and calls him a hyprocritical shit for allowing it out a sense of revenge.

>>13502224

> It also assumes that military people's families don't matter. Should we overlook a little girl's death just because she looked up to her dad who was a soldier?

No, you should do neither. You should feel bad because she was a victim of her father's vandetta essentially and got inducted in to a cause she had no personal investment in simply because she was raised to hate them. You should feel bad for the civilians because they still died and no-one ever said they didn't matter only that Frontal picked a time when the city would at least have minimal civilians around to target.
>>
>>13502442
>The conclusion isn't supposed to be "it was a military target therefor no-one should feel bad", the conclusion is "it was a military target and that's why Zeon picked it, sucks for the folks there but that was their reasoning".
It's the same fucking thing, dimwit. Cut it out with your Zeon apologia.

>only that Frontal picked a time when the city would at least have minimal civilians around to target.
What about attacking a pure military target, like Torrington base on its own, instead of having Loni shooting like crazy inside of a city?
>>
>>13502451

> It's the same fucking thing, dimwit. Cut it out with your Zeon apologia.

Ahahaha, sure.

> What about attacking a pure military target, like Torrington base on its own, instead of having Loni shooting like crazy inside of a city?

Frontal picked it because he knew the remnants would want a chance to let loose exactly like they did and like Zinnerman did on top of it. Something that Banagher and by extension the plot called out as horrific and which is horrific. Which I mean, you seem to think is horrific to. And yet somehow according to you is Zeon apologism because...well I'm not sure why exactly. I'm sure it makes sense to you though.
>>
Is it hard to accept that the whole of UC is just the story of petty bullshit going back and forth ruining the lives of people because no one could stand down and just not dick over their fellow man over selfish reasons?
>>
>>13502472
>And yet somehow according to you is Zeon apologism because...
...Full Frontal ordered an attack on a civilian target. It doesn't matter that Banagher complains about it. The damage is already done.

The series portrays Zeon as the "light of hope" for the Spacenoids, making their actions (while horrific) noble and righteous in the larger context. Full Frontal justifies this as the Federation being, supposedly, oppressive on Spacenoids; thus, cooking up some bizarre economic scheme to marginalize Earth, putting Zeon at the forefront of the Earth Sphere yet again.
It doesn't matter that they lose eventually and that some stupid kid berates them. What's important is that their Spacenoid pride flies high through their actions. The purest example of this was Anavel Gato in 0083: the ronin who goes on a suicide mission in the name of his ideals.

The most egregious example of this was Zimmermann's sob story about his family being massacred by Federation soldiers. This is an obscene retcon by Fukui, since the Federation did not occupy Side 3 after the OYW.
>>
>>13502493
That sound a lot like real life.
>>
I need this explained to me: what's the deal with Haro in Origins 2? I thought Amuro built it? Instead it looks like it's some mass produced toy he got when he was a child now.
>>
>>13503457
Amuro has improved the basic toy.
>>
>>13503457
In the original he built it but in the origin he just tinkered with it.
>>
Was I supposed to laugh when Sayla screams in front of Zeon's deathbed?
>>
>>13502499

> ...Full Frontal ordered an attack on a civilian target. It doesn't matter that Banagher complains about it. The damage is already done.

Sure, to the town. But somehow that damage doesn't count because you apparently can't separate cause from effect essentially.

> The series portrays Zeon as the "light of hope" for the Spacenoids, making their actions (while horrific) noble and righteous in the larger context.

All that speech does is provide a context for why people joined Zeon in the first place, not a justification or exoneration of all the acts they committed for that cause. Banagher literally says this in the episode. It doesn't matter how noble your cause or how much pride and faith you have in it, if you do horrific things then those horrific things are what you are ultimately judged on and can and do pervert your cause beyond sustainability.

Which is the case for Zeon, and was always the case for Zeon. The entire point of 0079 was that Zeon had a good cause, in that they wanted independence and self-governance, but that the Zabis twisted that cause and used it as an excuse for a power trip that ultimately caused a horrific war. The war wasn't excusable because they had a good original idea then, nor is it now.

> Full Frontal justifies this as the Federation being, supposedly, oppressive on Spacenoids; thus, cooking up some bizarre economic scheme to marginalize Earth, putting Zeon at the forefront of the Earth Sphere yet again.

Full Frontal is also the villain, so yea, of course he's going to try to justify his plan. The fact he believes in it (and honestly, he doesn't), doesn't actually mean you or the rest of the audience is supposed to.
>>
>>13503923

> What's important is that their Spacenoid pride flies high through their actions.
> if a person is proud of what they want then it doesn't matter how they go about getting what they want they are justified and right to do it

I refuse to believe someone is actually this stupid. I'm just going to hope you're some weird shitposter or troll, because that honestly makes you come off as more intelligent than you would otherwise do.
>>
>>13494943
Unicorn made sense. It's just peons who can't into it.
>>
>>13497237
>You mean "acknowledging all the OVAs and sidestories obsessively, like Unicorn did", right?
No. Those OVAs are also guilty of not giving a fuck about continuity.

>And "the writer" you so casually speak of is Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, a person who was essential during Mobile Suit Gundam's production.
Oh, that makes all these retcons and altered characterisations so much more natural.

> I prefer to call it "0079" as shorthand.
That's nice bruv, I think '0079' sounds a bit daft as a series nickname myself. Good thing people can choose to call it whatever they want, eh?
>>
>>13501463

I like how the sensible answer and the one that makes sense is not replied to, almost unchallenged even.
>>
>>13504012
>Those OVAs are also guilty of not giving a fuck about continuity.
>Oh, that makes all these retcons
If you're going to obsess about following an orthodox timeline that sticks STRICTLY to this or that material, you're looking at the wrong hobby, pal. The Gundam franchise's case is especially egregious.
From day one, the people behind the scenes have been making retcons. The movies for Mobile Suit Gundam did a number of alterations: replacing the retarded G-Fighter for the Core Boosters, changing the timeline for the White Base's participation in Odessa, among others.
You need to understand that these things are not set in stone. In an interview, Thunderbolt's author explained that the only way he could've written the manga to his liking was by using the OYW as a general outline and creating his own thing on top of it.

>altered characterisations
Which ones? Everyone in The Origin is more or less the exact same character as in the anime.

>I think '0079' sounds a bit daft as a series nickname myself.
It's not more stupid than "First Gundam". What's with the Japanese and their absurd "wasei eigo mania"? What's wrong with calling it "初ガンダム"?

>Good thing people can choose to call it whatever they want, eh?
Not in this case. "First Gundam" is the semi-official term used by Bandai/Sunrise and interviews with staffers. Pretty stupid, if you ask me.
>>
File: Yamamoto's warning.png (28 KB, 795x370) Image search: [Google]
Yamamoto's warning.png
28 KB, 795x370
>>13503929
>and can and do pervert your cause beyond sustainability.
Yet despite the crimes of the Zabi family, and four separate successful orbital drops done in the name of Zeon (British, Stardust, Dublin's and Fifth Luna, plus Axis), plus a myriad of other atrocities, Zeon continued to exist as a movement for 20 years after the One Year War. That's quite sustainable for an idea/movement with its hands dripping with the blood of billions of innocents.
Banagher is a stupid kid like virtually all the Gundam protagonists: he might say the "right" things from a moral (or even logical) point of view, but the facts on the ground tell a different story.

>if a person is proud of what they want then it doesn't matter how they go about getting what they want they are justified and right to do it
It's called "means to an end".
During WWII, Japan was willing to massacre its entire population for the sake of honour, in a war they had zero chance of ever winning after 1942 at its earliest.
That's the ethos behind Unicorn: honour justifies your actions. Fukui is a nationalist, and that message is patently clear not just in Unicorn, but his other works as well (most of which deal with contemporary Japan recovering its "righteous place" in the world).

>>13504643
I like how it's obvious you're samefagging in order to stroke your ego: "look at this reply I made. I'm so smart and right about everything".
>>
>>13504725

But anon, what if they are different anons.
>>
>>13504725
>That's the ethos behind Unicorn: honour justifies your actions. Fukui is a nationalist, and that message is patently clear not just in Unicorn, but his other works as well (most of which deal with contemporary Japan recovering its "righteous place" in the world).

Spoken like a true retard.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.