[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question /m/: Why would it take 300 years of unrest before people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: Barbatos Field.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Barbatos Field.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Question /m/: Why would it take 300 years of unrest before people started getting their shit together and protesting?
I mean I know it's anime, but we have rioting and protests like every other month to year with just countries. Whereas Mars is an entire fucking planet!
Did I miss something I should rewatch?
>>
>>13494339
Japs don't even know the concept of uprising.
>>
>>13494339
Because 72 Gundams

Gundams
>>
>>13494339
Maybe the situation was not as bad before? Like they were given aid and stuff and it was cut at some point.
>>
>>13494348
That's what I want to know. So far from what I can tell it's just the usual "Colony wants economic independence" deal without anything else behind it.
I mean that's what Kudelia is fighting for right?

>>13494346
They just say they fought in the war, nothing involving oppression.
>>
>>13494345
>being this stupid
my sides
>>
>>13494348
But they've said until only until relatively recently that earth nations started acknowledging mars's independence
>>
>>13494358
I don't think you understand. There were 72 Gundams.
72 GUNDAMS.
>>
>>13494365
Who's to say Mars didn't manufacture some of them?
>>
>>13494339
>Why would it take 300 years of unrest before people started getting their shit together and protesting?

Slave mentality, it's the reason there still exist non-democratic countries.
>>
File: freedom.jpg (1 MB, 1792x1412) Image search: [Google]
freedom.jpg
1 MB, 1792x1412
>>13494359
Say that to my face jap boy while I make another military base on your land and make you pay for it
>>
>>13494361
A dependent territory may still be better off economically than if it was an independent state. See all the present-day
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_territory
>>
>>13494379
I keep forgetting this.
Not to mention the fact the more than half of the country doesn't know what the TPP is.

It just seemed so inconceivable because it wasn't a country, but an entire planet that was the subject of unrest.
>>
>>13494339
Ask Scotland
>>
>>13494401

Plus, I mean, it's really only in the last few decades that large scale activism on the part of other nations or groups has become a thing anywhere in the world. It was partially because a lack of global awareness before that point, but not entirely and there had been some global awareness for several decades before that activism really took off too.

I would say it's more down to the fact that shit was probably difficult enough for people on Earth that there wasn't the luxury or leisure time to be protesting on the behalf of others since they had to sort their own shit out first. There was perhaps a touch of lack of information on the state of Mars mixed in there too, since following such a large scale war, there was probably some infrastructure and communication problems as well as more than likely censorship of information and propaganda twisting what people saw for a good while.
>>
>>13494339
It must have taken from 1/2 to 2/3 of the time after the war to rebuild, I mean>>13494346 keeps on stressing on the fact that 72 gundams were in active combat and fucked up the entire earth sphere and most of the moon to the point where the earth had to become a system of 3 economic blocs just to function
>>
>>13494339
Ask the Middle East that
>>
>>13494339
Calamity War ended 300 years earlier. Mars was in ruins, Earth was in turmoil. Imagine the end of WWII except that the strain of winning the war caused America to Balkanize. So Mars has to spend years trying to just to survive while Earth begins the long process of putting out the (nuclear) fires, rebuilding and reorganizing. There were probably space elevators and shit to rebuild. Because we're talking about the entire planet, that could easily take a century or so. Then you have a century of tensions steadily rising.

I imagine that the timescale is magnified somewhat by the scale of the interplanetary astrography involved, too.
>>
>>13494339
Because actual oppression is terrifying.
>>
>>13494339
Because a 300 years backstory sound like mitological and cool, and you can fill it with any crap you need. They could have done 30 years as 120, and it would be the same.
>>
File: tennis court oath.jpg (195 KB, 800x521) Image search: [Google]
tennis court oath.jpg
195 KB, 800x521
>>13494339
Why did it take hundreds of years of peasantdom before the French Revolution? When you spend most of your life just trying desperately to scrape together enough to survive, revolution isn't really a priority. Revolutions tend to be more middle-class endeavors, and if things went to absolute shit after the Calamity War, it may well have taken that long for a middle class to emerge on Mars.
>>
>>13494339
If people realize if they start revolting and war won't end in a short run, they would tend to endure. Until of course, when it reaches the breaking point when people not getting enough food, their wives and daughters getting taken away, children dying, then yea people would do something.
>>
File: HMSRoyal_Charles.png (644 KB, 605x539) Image search: [Google]
HMSRoyal_Charles.png
644 KB, 605x539
just on my way to fight a nuclear powered aircraft carrier don't mind me
>>
>>13494379
Says the guy who lives in the country ruled by rich people.
>>
>>13494339

Maybe they don't have the internet?
This plus a smaller population?
Fuck it?
>>
>>13494339
>Question /m/: Why would it take 300 years of unrest before people started getting their shit together and protesting?
Realistic answer; because people don't protest just because they are suffering. People only protest if they have an EXPECTATION of a better life, but failed to get it.

You can be as poor and down-trodding as you like, but as long as you don't see how it could get any better you would not protest or riot.

However, as soon as you see a ray of hope, or a potential path to a better life, that's where the danger lies. If society betrays your expectations, THAT's when people riot.

In short, for the last 300 years life was tough but people understands why and tolerated it. But recently things have gotten better to the point that they demand MORE, and not getting it.
>>
>>13494339
Dictatorship?

>>13494345
Oh, my God.
>>
File: US_flag_48_stars.svg.png (6 KB, 220x116) Image search: [Google]
US_flag_48_stars.svg.png
6 KB, 220x116
>>13494339
>Question /m/: Why would it take 300 years of unrest before people started getting their shit together and protesting?
>>
>>13497103
You forgot the US civil war just saying
>>
>>13497113
and the Whiskey Rebellion
>>
>>13494339
Because as several anons said, the situation is good enough that people can afford to whine about it. If there was no money, no food and no chance of it being better everything would be quiet.

History is not just "Boom, suddenly revolution!" anon. It's a series of slow, complicated processes that lead up to a result. Look at Mexico and Latin America. 300 years of being oppressed by Spain until they rebelled, and even then it was only because Napoleon took over Spain and wanted to impose French rule on them. It was until later that it became an issue of independance when originally they only wanted more sovereignty and self-rule.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.