[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good morning, /m/! A few days back I was bored and asked you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: Untitled.gif (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
3 MB, 853x480
Good morning, /m/!
A few days back I was bored and asked you to name a plane for me to very roughly animate a mech transform sequence of.
First anon to reply wanted the H4 Hercules "Spruce Goose":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTk0Uflyk8

Sorry for the delay. I might have gone a bit far in places (100+ frames)...
Anyway, here's what I came up with.
>>
File: 1409350354219.webm (584 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1409350354219.webm
584 KB, 1024x576
>>13479365

>mfw
>>
>>13479365
Oh shit, has Otaking learned to animate (well, the transformation part anyway) without rotoscoping?
>>
>>13479365
>>
File: rough shit.gif (410 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rough shit.gif
410 KB, 1280x720
>>13479370
The plane isn't roto'd either, surprisingly!
I've been trying to go cold turkey on the rotoscoping. You can see the lines warping and the propellers especially shift positions a lot (though I reckon I can get away with it).

For the actual mech flipping around, I sketched a really basic Obari human shape and did the mechanical parts over the top.
>>
>>13479365

god

damn
>>
>>13479387
Cool, good to hear! The motion looks great.

Staying away from rotoscoping except in cases of where it's naturally advantageous or you'd be silly not to use it is good for you. It might save time but the results usually don't look half as good, and it really showed in that billiards scene you posted a while back.
>>
>>13479365
Why not the Spruce Moose? It can take 200 passengers from New York's Idlewild airport to the Belgian Congo in only 17 minutes.

I like it.
>>
>>13479365
Pretty good.

If I'm going to nitpick, which I gladly will, some of the mecha bits, mostly the head, are too angular and pointy, not meshing very well with the plane's more rounded aesthetics.
The head is, say, Getter Dragon-ish, while I feel a Shin 3 head would fit in better.
>>
>>13479365
Cool as fuck
Is this from studying Richard Williams' book? You've improved a ton.
Are you going to stream again any time soon?
>>
>>13479387
MASS-SHIFTING! THE ARMS COME OUT OF NOWHERE! WORSE.TRANSFORMATION.EVER!

Looks cool. Better than rotoscoped. Congratulations
>>
File: Butts.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Butts.webm
3 MB, 600x338
>>13479421
Getter technology can't be explained!
>>13479410
Yup, lots of walk cycle practice from the book. I've been doing a lot of really sketchy sakuga-type stuff to try and level up.

Though as this rough shows, sketching out basically naked people fighting means that I end up looking like a huge fruit obsessed with muscle dudes' asses.
>>
>>13479457
That run in the third(?) shot looks really awkward. It kind of looks like you just sped up a walk cycle. Amazing progress overall though. If it wasn't you posting this I'd find it really hard to believe this was the same guy who did the Star Wars short.
>>
>>13479457
I remember when you said months ago that you were shit, and too old to learn. Do you still think the same?
>>
>>13479471
Cheers!
>>13479476
No, I take it back. I just needed a kick in the ass to animate stuff without relying on reference footage.
My internet is shit at the moment but when Virgin come over and fix it I could always do another stream. I should probably ink and colour the plane transformation so maybe people could watch that.
>>
Wow, pretty cool. I guess you've had transformers on the mind recently?
>>
Some getter parts forming but it's fast enough to not be that noticeable.
The mech itself could be a bit more round
>>
>>13479365
8/10 it's ok.

Needs more 2x4 technology though, it's a wooden plane not a metal machine.
>>
>>13479365
... you totally are going to need to add transforming mechs to your OVA now.
>>
>>13479457
>Otaking finally read Animator's survival kit years after people recommended it to him.

About god damned time. Your stuff already looks better.
>>
Otaking is finally learning how to animate? Nice.
>>
>>13479365
So that's where you've been all this time.

Also, very lovely work. Eschew rotoscoping for it is a false god!
>>
>>13479457
Holy fucking shit son.

That's hella progress.

I mean, it's still a pile of rubbish that I wouldn't show to a mongoloid child weaned on arsenic and lead, but yeah. Pretty fucking good going.

Just a bit of criticism to keep you from growing complacent.
>>
Otaking, save sakuga!
>>
File: venusian aikido.jpg (46 KB, 593x473) Image search: [Google]
venusian aikido.jpg
46 KB, 593x473
>>13479457
>Venusian Aikido Masters death battle
>>
>>13479387
> I sketched a really basic Obari human shape and did the mechanical parts over the top.

Good philosophy since that's what Obari pretty much does himself. He treats his robots like people with mechanical parts stuck on them.

Practice drawing people and the robot movements will come to you eventually!
>>
>>13479457
If I could at some critique, I'd say take some of the frames out of that run and stomp near the start and be a bit more liberal in your post-action-frames (I forgot what the term is)

For example with a punch, you know how you show the lead up to an action, pulling back then you push forward > skip out the hit / impact > then show the lead out and after effect of the action (face being deformed, the head rocking back etc..)

I think you need to add a bit more "lead out" into some of those early cuts, the footstomp for example doesn't feel as powerful as it could, shake the screen a bit more, bend his knee/ thigh/body a bit more, show some more debris cracking and smoke?

Also I think the running looks very plain and standard, lift his knees/thighs a bit more as it is going forward.

I think you've got a good eye for action and storyboarding, but it's just adding a better sense of weight to these actions.
>>
>>13479365

been awhile
>>
>Tallspruce
>>
>>13479365
>Otaking can into smooth animation
What a world.
>>
>>13479365
Wow you actually fucking nailed it.
Nice, I thought the anon who suggested the Spruce Goose was just fucking around and you still made it.
>>
File: HughesPortraitOct31947.jpg (244 KB, 500x649) Image search: [Google]
HughesPortraitOct31947.jpg
244 KB, 500x649
>>13479365
Hughes would be proud
>>
>>13479365
Who would have thought Spruce Goose made for such a badass transformers
>>
>>13479457
>that wonky run animation
Protip: try moving the waist in a realistic manner instead of it being perfectly still
>>
>>13481644
>>13482451

Indeed
>>
Love it. You should check out the new Leynos game. you can get a demo off the jpn psn store for ps4. The shading kind of reminded me of that cel shaded cg piece you posted a while ago.
>>
>>13479365
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I LOVE THAT PLANE

Like, it was out at Evergreen when I was younger, and my grandfather took our family out there a couple times. It was fucking awesome.
>>
found a clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67nhTIOZC0
>>
File: then_and_now.jpg (148 KB, 1408x728) Image search: [Google]
then_and_now.jpg
148 KB, 1408x728
>>13479365
>04:22:32
>Good morning.
I thought you live in USA.
>>
>>13482593
Nvm, I left American time for 4chan.
By the way, Birdy Decode rocks.
>>
>>13480071
>a mongoloid child weaned on arsenic and lead
Holy shit, that's Mean Machines-tier banter there. Back when games magazines were good.

>>13481021
>>13482461
I'll redo that bit. That's another good thing about doing it all sketchy-like. I can just erase whole segments and not feel like I've just wasted weeks of work.

>>13482516
>>13482530
>No Satoshi portraits
DROPPED.

>>13482593
I live in the UK, but my timezones are messed up due to having a girlfriend in Atlanta and working for a company in Australia.

>>13482601
Birdy Decode has some gloriously well-animated fight scenes, yeah. I just wish the actual art looked like the 90s OVA.
If i can get that level of fluidity in fights, but colour them like an 90s OVA then I'll have contributed something to the world.
>>
Hey Paul. Nice robot.

Don't knock roto, just know when to use it and when to abuse it: Its a guideline, not an absolute.
>>
>>13479457
The run at the start looks off because the hips and chest are basically stationary. Why did he destroy the overpass when he was jumping between buildings? There's a couple other minor nitpicks that I don't get, but they aren't too relevant.
>>
>>13484315
>Why did he destroy the overpass

BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL!
>>
>>13484315
>Why did he destroy the overpass when he was jumping between buildings?
to create the debris he would then run on
>>
>>13484436
But he then jumps to the overpass in the background before jumping onto the wall of a building, crossing more space with each jump than if he had just jumped onto the overpass
>>
>>13482593
>sameface on the left
>>
>>13479365
Holy fuck, that was really cool. That's very motivating for me 'cause I've been trying to learn how to draw. Want to learn how to animate even if it's just as a hobby.
>>
Dammit, Paul.
>>
>>13493841
That's a big picture.
>>
Otaking should stay away from human figures and stick to ships and planes and tanks.
>>
>>13493841
check uno farto 4u
>>
>>13494336
I think his humans look fine. What's the problem?
>>
>>13497829

They look fine still. When animated they look inhuman.
>>
>>13497870
like the ones from his pool animation? i dont have it so hopefully somebody gets what im saying.
>>
>>13479387
Yeah, starting with a beefy human base is probably the best way to do it if you ask me.
>>
>>13479365
I think it would have worked better if the feet flared directly into the camera.
>>
File: money shot.jpg (365 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
money shot.jpg
365 KB, 853x480
>>13500383
like so
>>
File: Unicron flyby.webm (2 MB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Unicron flyby.webm
2 MB, 1200x675
>ywn see a shot like this again
>>
>>13479457

looks like /co/ fighting. not enough like my japanese animes.
>>
Should we let this thread die or turn it into a shading thread?
>>
>>13502873
SHADING is always welcome.
>>
Anon that requrested it here (Yeah really no way to verify it)

I feel weirdly honored that you actually went along my silly suggestion.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.