[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So it's obvious that a conventional war will never be fought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: HMS_Daring_(D32)_Phalanx_CIWS.jpg (1 MB, 3264x4928) Image search: [Google]
HMS_Daring_(D32)_Phalanx_CIWS.jpg
1 MB, 3264x4928
So it's obvious that a conventional war will never be fought ever again in our lifetime, but hypothetically, how close are we to the battlefield evolving again, forcing weapons designers to imagine a new way to wage war?

Ruling the skies has always been the key for modern war, but with so many systems, guns, and missiles that have incredible range, accuracy, and detection, it almost seems insane to ever leave the ground, be it a Missile, Gunship, or Plane.

If two modern armies met on the battlefield, I'd imagine you'd have two entrenched forces separated by hundreds of Kilometers, reminiscent of The Great War, with infantry, mechanized units, and Aircraft unable to move due to fear of getting shot.
Where do you go when stealth is no longer viable, and even the mighty B2 remains grounded?
>>
>>13476119
mighty b2 kek
>>
File: laughing animes.jpg (36 KB, 582x406) Image search: [Google]
laughing animes.jpg
36 KB, 582x406
>>13476119
>So it's obvious that a conventional war will never be fought ever again in our lifetime

Even by armchair general standards this statement is laughably retarded.
>>
>>13476219
He's right though.
Nukes will not stop being too much of a threat any time soon
>>
>>13476119
None of that makes any sense. What the fuck are you even on about? Just get done with some Military 101 class or something?
>>
>>13476219
>cold war leftovers that are several decades older than the people inside them
>"modern"
>>
>>13476239
Nukes are a deterrent to other nukes, not a weapon in the conventional sense. They'll never be used. OP said something pretty stupid, but he's not entirely wrong. Due to globalization, every major country has stock in every other major country, and the benefits of fighting them mano-e-mano is less than the detriments. A war of ideology like WWII is probably never going to happen again. We're starting another Cold War as we speak, anyway.
>>
>>13476263
The age of economic warfare has already begun nigga. China began its invasion of Africa a long time ago
>>
>>13476119
>So it's obvious that a conventional war will never be fought ever again in our lifetime

OP is so underaged that he hasn't even been born yet.
>>
>>13476252
>Counter Initiative technology is so advanced that first strike capabilities have all but evaporated.
better?
On the Modern advanced battlefield, you don't actually think a military could launch missile and it successfully hit its target without being intercepted by dozens of different counter-measures?
>>
>>13476263
>Nukes are a deterrent to other nukes, not a weapon in the conventional sense. They'll never be used.

...and here's a guy posting from an Alt-Universe in which the US invaded the main islands of Japan instead of dropping the bombs.
>>
>>13476300
I meant post-Japan, dingus. Do you even Metal Gear, bruh.
>>
Just wait for Putin's Klingon campaign against the ISIS Dominion to go tits up.
>>
>>13476343
>Russia will never Invade Mongolia and force China's hand
>Pakfa vs. J-20 never
>>
File: MOEtin7(2).jpg (24 KB, 359x512) Image search: [Google]
MOEtin7(2).jpg
24 KB, 359x512
>>13476343
Putin will save us all from the vile Infidels.
>>
>>13476343
He's just going to quit, withdraw and stomp down on any news reporting on that. It's mostly meant to fuck with the US so that he can feel important after his scheme in the Ukraine went tits up and he's gotta play the long odds, betting on EU and World Bank-policies having destroyed the country five years down the line.
>>
File: 1411284367750.png (190 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
1411284367750.png
190 KB, 373x327
>ITT: "A bloo hoo hoo, where's mah war?"
>>
>>13476385
>Talking about war is the same as wanting one to happen

Never go to /k/
>>
>>13476388
Just saying, y'all sound awfully sad that there isn't a big war going on.
>>
Conventional warfare won't happen again because there are countermeasures to it that third world shitholes have been using since the Vietnam War

>Step the First: Allow aggressive nation to occupy your country
>Step the Second: Keep them there via guerrilla attacks and diplomatic stalling until they start committing atrocities
>Step the Third: Publicize these atrocities to the civilians of the aggressive country until SJWs are up in arms
>Step the Fourth: Continue wearing down aggressive country with guerrilla attacks and diplomatic stalling until aggressive country gets demoralized and eventually leaves having wasted billions for nothing
Works every time
>>
>>13476381
Correction.

The CARDASSIAN CAMPAIGN.
>>
>>13476410
A. There are a lot of big wars going on, just not media-heavy ones.
B. again, talking about military strategy is not the same as wanting to fight in/watch a war.
C. let people do what they do, man. Hide the thread and move on.
>>
File: 1440120752623.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1440120752623.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>>13476413
>SJWs
Kill yourself. Seriously, just die.
>>
>>13476410
This board celebrates fictional weapons of war, are you surprised.
Why don't you go to /co/ and bitch about how Capeshit is too violent?
Dumbfuck.
>>
>>13476413
You're an idiot
>>
>>13476410
I'll be one to admit I was mildly hype for Crimea.

It struck me as something that might have been super interesting, especially after a decade and more of sandman insurgency nonsense.

I wanted to see how big Putin's balls really were.

Call me a sociopath or a know nothing civie if you want. It still struck me as something really worth tuning in to the news for as opposed to the dull and routine war on terror and post war after party featuring ISIS.
>>
>>13476460
nothing wrong that m8
>wanting to see a Volcano erupt means you want to watch people be vaporized in it's Awesome power
if that's how it is, then I don't want to be right
>>
>>13476460
>super interesting

So, suffering of other people is just entertainment for you? Something exciting to show on the news as opposed to boring shit about brown people massacring other brown people, who cares about them.

Ok.
>>
>>13476473
I hope a volcano erupts under your house
>>
Look up Project TALOS. Powered armor for infantry. Out and about by 2025.
>>
>>13476484
Oh fuck off. Being interested in WWII means I hate Jews now? False equivalence, fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
>>13476484
Ukrainians are't brown, retard.
>>
>>13476484
Well, yes.
When I have no emotional investment in the conflict or its outcome, then yes it's entertainment, especially when you're putting on such a show of macho manliness as is typical of Vladimir.
>>
File: 1446162046189.jpg (294 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1446162046189.jpg
294 KB, 582x600
>>13476518
>>13476510
>>13476503
Unless you feel super sorry, super GUILTY for everything bad, every brown person getting his brains blown off for Allah, you're a terrible Nazi Monster.
>>
File: aceburgers.jpg (890 KB, 3000x2182) Image search: [Google]
aceburgers.jpg
890 KB, 3000x2182
Cheer up Al, there'll be other wars.
>>
>>13476608
Yo, not funny.
What an ending.
>>
>>13476510
>Ukrainians are't[sic] brown, retard.
They definitely aren't white.
>>
>>13476701
They're slav, the other white meat.
>>
File: PURE ARYANS SQUAT.jpg (59 KB, 604x402) Image search: [Google]
PURE ARYANS SQUAT.jpg
59 KB, 604x402
>>13476701
>>13476710
>slav
>not white
when will this meme die
>>
>>13476813

>>13476813 When did I say they weren't white?

They're just not as white as me.:^)
>>
>>13476493
Sure thing buddy just like every military project that hits mass production right on time. Especially when it looks like it hasn't been tested in extreme conditions yet.
>>
>>13476892
Projected* out and about by 2025. Happy now?
>>
>>13476119
We will never see any big wars in our lifetime or even our grandchildren livetime. Soon Russia will get a liberal president that will go full EU laws and policies. That's gonna result in browning not only Western Europe but Eastern too in next 200 years or so. Then there will be America vs EU Caliphate vs China. China wins. They're also the futu\re of anime.

>>13476381
It's to protect a Russian military base + eliminate 2000 caucasians who want to selfbomb Russia.
>>
>>13476119
>Ruling the skies has always been the key for modern war
Explain the Islamic State then, pham
>>
>>13477033
That's postmodern war and insurgency. Modern war was WWII, Korea, Vietnam.
>>
>>13476860
I don't think anyone wants to be as white as you.
>>
>>13476119
>Ruling the skies has always been the key for modern war, but with so many systems, guns, and missiles that have incredible range, accuracy, and detection, it almost seems insane to ever leave the ground, be it a Missile, Gunship, or Plane.

The Hammer's Slammers series deals with this. In that setting, powerguns are so strong and have such long range that airpower is too risky to use, so hovertanks have returned to battlefield dominance.
>>
File: laser.jpg (126 KB, 1088x768) Image search: [Google]
laser.jpg
126 KB, 1088x768
sounds familar
>>
>>13477033
They're getting BTFO by Russia aircraft.
>>
>>13477033

Literally backed by the US and without serious opposition.
The moment Russia decided to join the brawl they started steamrolling them.
>>
>>13477052
>postmodern war
More like a deconstruction of war.
>>
>>13477473
Laser kyun~ straight to the heart!
>>
Obvious to all?

In the 70s, Britain scaled down its fleet, tasking it to a dedicated ASW formation in the North Sea concentrated its armed forces in Germany focused around heavy metal pounding against the Red Army.

Next thing you know, the Falklands happen.

Similarly back in 2000, if someone had said that in the space of the next 15 years that the US, UK and NATO would be embroiled in Iraq and Afghanistan, that Syria, Libya, Yemen and Iraq would be locked in ceaseless sectarian warfare and that Russia would annex the Crimea and back a high intensity rebellion in the east of the Ukraine, that China would overtake the rest of the world, bar the US in economy and wealth and practically control the east coast of Africa, that Japan would legalise deploying armed forces over seas for offensive operations, that uncontrolled immigration would rise to the millions, etc no one would have believed you.

The point is that saying that there will never be a conventional war in our lifetimes when there have already been several in the last 15 years alone is astounding. More accurate would be to say that there would not be another conventional war between Western aligned industrial nations. But who knows what could happen in the next thirty or forty years, let alone the next ten.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.