[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mobile Suit Gundam was the first mecha series to have sympathetic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: ndcl5ngF9V1qgni4wo3_500.png (284 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
ndcl5ngF9V1qgni4wo3_500.png
284 KB, 500x398
>Mobile Suit Gundam was the first mecha series to have sympathetic antagonists.

>Not Daimos.
>>
You are as ignorant as the idiot who made the Gundam statement.
>>
>>13468263
Because only people in the Philippines remember Daimos and Voltes V.
>>
>>13468263
So did Tomino rip off this Richter guy to create Char?
>>
>>13468431
Char isn't a dude with a whip that eats chicken from walls so no
>>
File: d0145403_14523932.jpg (25 KB, 531x196) Image search: [Google]
d0145403_14523932.jpg
25 KB, 531x196
>>13468431
No char is influenced by prince shirkin from brave raideen in 1976. Tomino worked on the first half of the series.
>>
>>13468263
Voltes did it before Daimos. And various minor villains in other mech shows did it before that (also Dr. Hell in the manga Mazinger)

>>13468650
Didn't Sharkin die around the time Tomino left the show?

Then again, Nagahama was so moved by Sharkin he made four more assholes with the same voice actor in the same rival position, so.
>>
>>13468263
>Implying Dr. Hell isn't a nice guy if you take the time to talk to him.
>>
>>13468263

Baron Ashura's kind of sympathetic
>>
>>13468700
How many Super Robot villain groups actually were portrayed as pure irredeemable evil? The only ones I can think were the Gaizock and Emperor Zule. Everyone else had postive traits. The Meganoids wanted to help improve humanity. The Dinosaur Empire just wanted to live on the surface. The Great General of Darkness was a valient warrior to the end as was Prince Sharkin. Garuda was really tragic victim of his "mother" etc.
>>
>>13468792
Gold Lightan's main villain is literally Robot Satan. And a Nazi too.
>>
>>13468792
Dr. Hell in the anime basically was, he had no reason to want to take over other than taking over.

Vega definitely was. There were some good Vegans (Rubina!), but almost all of them were assholes who needed purged.

In Combattler, outside of MUH CLONES troubles, pretty much all the Cambellians in the invasion force are evil - but they don't represent their race, so that might not count.

I want to say all of Mechander's villains were pure evil, but I only watched like five episodes of that before tossing it away and most of that wasn't subbed.

...Danguard, Groizer, Barratack, Blocker, Gordion, Ga Keen, Dai Appolon, Daikengo, or Gaislugger? No idea.

>>13468741
More pitiful than sympathetic. He wants nothing more than to be the one to make Dr. Hell happy, but no matter what he tries he can't beat Mazinger Z, and to him it's always his own personal fault, especially when Brocken shows up (when in reality it's only sometimes his fault - before someone says "why are you referring to Baron Ashura as he?", it's simpler to keep track of than saying it all the time)
>>
>>13468263
The stupid shit people say about modern fandoms makes me wonder how much of literature history is made up.

>Shakespeare didn't do shit, he was a hack
>>
>>13468808
Oh, I forgot Godam. No idea on that one.

Ginguiser's pretty much just EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL though, if the subbed episodes are any indication. A bunch of evil magicians wanting to grab an inherently evil power to do evil things, and corrupting normal objects and animals to do their bidding? Yeah, that's evil.
>>
>>13468808
>There were some good Vegans, but almost all of them were assholes who needed purged.

Are you talking about AGE?
>>
>>13468263
>implying any baddie in Gundam is sympathetic
When will Zeeks learn? "Some family members died" is no excuse for genocide.
>>
Daimos' ending frustrated me.
>Richter needs to die because of reasons
>We don't even get a kiss or a hug or anything for the journey
>>
>>13469207
What's up with kiss anyways. I don't understand western people's obsession with that expressions?

Hug i can understand, but kiss?
>>
File: ju teeem.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ju teeem.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>13469253
Why do expressions have the cultural significance they do we just don't know.
>>
>>13469301

>World's best swordsman
>Machine doesn't have any sword related things

I was so disappointed that Ed dint use the Daimos at least once.
>>
File: filthy gaijin go home.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
filthy gaijin go home.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>13469342
The Galva's got wings, dunnit?
Isn't there a SRW 4koma where he stands/jumps outside and cuts things with his own human-sized sword?
>>
File: 1267361888407.jpg (69 KB, 418x1200) Image search: [Google]
1267361888407.jpg
69 KB, 418x1200
>>13469348
Yes.
>>
>>13469349
Mystery solved.
>>
>>13468792
Fighbird's main villains are all pricks, even if Draias occasionally gives some respect to Shura and Zol.

Also, if you're willing to count toku, some of the early Sentai groups are mustache-twirlers to an extent (putting aside Queen Hedorian eventually being pitiful), before Bioman started introducing villains with more understandable motives/natures.
>>
>>13468263
Fuck that, first sympathetic antagonists were in Great Mazinger
>>
>>13469178
grendizer
>>
>>13468263
>mecha shit before gundam
>mattering
Found the retarded super robot autist
>>
>>13468792
The Hundred Demon Army from Getter G was literally led by Demon Hitler
>>
>>13469848
That wasn't the leader and he was only a minor character. Either way, Brai was irredeemably evil.
>>
Killer the Butcher did nothing wrong
>>
>>13469841
>I believe everything Wikipedia and ANN tell me to believe!
>>
It seems like what Gundam did first was not "empathy", but "believability". Char wasn't necessarily a nicer guy than earlier villains, but Zeon was humanized more as a believable faction than cartoon villains.
>>
File: ulLFaXC.png (535 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ulLFaXC.png
535 KB, 640x480
Combattler turned to shit after based Garuda died. Coincidence?
>>
>>13469841
never have i seen someone calling someone autistic, come across as so autistic.
>>
>>13471110
Nice meme.
>>
>>13469914
more of a secondary antagonist, but yeah even the Hyakki Empire had at least one sympathetic character.
>>
>>13468819
>Oh, I forgot Godam. No idea on that one.
Also a "Leader of faction is Robot Satan" scenario.
>>
>>13471416
Your phrasing seems a little autistic too
>>
>>13471987
>>13471965
riiiiiiiiiight
>>
>>13471847
Still haven't seen Getter G yet unfortunately, but there were people like Kouchou and Lisa, yeah?

But individual members that only show up for an episode arguably don't matter in the long run.

>>13471903
There you go, then.
>>
>>13471987
Oh please, do go on.
Anymore stfu's or "faggots" you're preparing to rehash anytime soon?
>>
>>13472469
havent seen G fully yet but i watched a few eps when they got dumped onto youtube, one ep had a kid named Jirai have his fathers name wrongly disgraced by hidler before begin murderd, and Jirai essentially just wanting to restore his families honour. It was pretty strong for a twenty minute toei episode, and gve some really good characterisation for hidler.
>>
>>13468808
Maybe it's just because the atmosphere the manga had, but it really always felt like Dr Hell was just in it to fuck with Kouji. Like he was pretending to be a supervillain because he was crazy, and because he was friends with Kouji's crazy grandad, so they made a deal to set up an environment to let Kouji do whatever he wanted to.

Shin Hell did absolutely nothing wrong, and on top of that he seemed like kind of an okay guy.
>>
>>13472765
I'm talking about the anime specifically, since it's the one that made it all famous.

>Shin Hell did absolutely nothing wrong

...That's bullshit, but I think you know it's bullshit.
>>
>>13472915
What did he do wrong? Tell me, please.
>>
>>13472954
>Brought back Baron Ashura, giving the Mycenaeans the key to opening their seal, and NOT killing it in such a way as to keep said seal shut (or cryo-ing it, or something)
>Continually using Mycenaean tech to the point where Gorgon woke up and nearly wrested control of his operation from him.
>Using a Kedora. Actually, scratch that. Not just using a Kedora, but using one without testing it first, and giving it access to MAZINGER FUCKING Z.
>The first thing he did in the show was launch an invasion force at a town, killing thousands of innocent lives. And when that invasion failed he sent a fucking bomber to blow the town up.
>Also he immediately tries to kill Kouji the first chance he gets, before he ever tries talking to him. Though this is after he killed Juuzo, so he was probably right there.
>and he tried to kill Kouji after, again, sending an invasion force to kill the police, take over their force, and steal Mazinger while he was at it. And he takes a hostage incase the plan fails, so Kouji won't be able to fight back.
>he then takes the same hostage again a little later
>he kills Stroheim, who was WORKING FOR HIM and only wanted to finish the job before handing over the product.

There's a lot more shit he does wrong too.
>>
File: Godam18Shogun4.png (337 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Godam18Shogun4.png
337 KB, 640x480
>>13468819
Shogun from godam was great. Another masked villain before char in a show tomino worked on
Although his mask was part of his outfit and wasn't a means to hide his identity.
>>
>>13468263
>mobile suit gundam had sympathetic antagonists
who?
Char was really a second lead character. Both he and white base are fighting Zeon and the Zabis.
the Zabis were not remotely sympathetic.
Rambal Ral? Do they mean Rambal Ral?
>>
>>13468808
>I want to say all of Mechander's villains were pure evil, but I only watched like five episodes of that before tossing it away and most of that wasn't subbed.

The female villain is the MC's mom. Once in a while she reverts to the loving mother whenever she sees her son's face. I don't remember much but I think she was brainwashed.
>>
File: image.jpg (667 KB, 1000x1485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
667 KB, 1000x1485
>>13468263
>not getter

Fucking gundamfags I swear to god
>>
>>13473366
His look is very Tatsunoko/Yoshitaka Amano. I'm willing to bet that Luurah will move on to this after finishing Ginguiser.
>>
>>13474254
>I'm willing to bet that Luurah will move on to this after finishing Ginguiser.
>Not Raideen
>>
>>13474336
Starseeker kinda has first dibs on that, no? Let her finish what she started, lest she be called a coward/quitter just because that one episode traumatized her.
>>
File: Godam10Shogun.png (369 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Godam10Shogun.png
369 KB, 640x480
>>13474254
Good good. Now we can see the glory of Shogun electracting people with his sword instead of just cutting them, with glorious subtitles.
>>
File: 1444877459347.jpg (31 KB, 364x400) Image search: [Google]
1444877459347.jpg
31 KB, 364x400
>>13468440
That was good, anon.
>>
>>13468810
>>Shakespeare didn't do shit, he was a hack

That is a thing people actually believe. Specifically, that Shakespeare either "rewrote" famous stories and published them as their own(Think of somebody taking star wars, calling Luke Skywalker Simon Airstrider, and then swearing up and down that it was his own original creation.) or just outright stealing other people's work.
>>
>>13476269
Shakespeare spent most of his career ripping off Ovid wholesale.

Not that that's anything strange in literature, though. Literature is full of blatant plagiarism.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.