[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he really that bad of a character?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
Was he really that bad of a character?
>>
>>13468234
Not quite bad, just really really bland.
Like, modern generic harem anime MC bland.
>>
>>13468234
"harem MC" is pretty accurate, since he had the two most important women in the universe on his dick for not much reason
>>
File: Ichijou_home.jpg (94 KB, 498x600) Image search: [Google]
Ichijou_home.jpg
94 KB, 498x600
>>13468237
>>13468244

>Oh_boy_here_we_go.jpg

Those are such newfaggy arguments. Ichijou was not an emo crying baby... and that alone makes him good.
>>
>>13468275
>Ichijou was not an emo crying baby
Neither is the generic bland harem MC.
>>
>>13468244
>>13468237
Dumbshits.
He's a pilot, a fighter and an officer, not a do nothing harem shit, fuck you.
>>
>>13468297
>>13468237
>>13468244

>harem

Last time I checked, a triangle was not a harem
>>
>>13468319
It's the only language these newfags understand.
>>
I liked how much of a douchebag Ichijou was after the timeskip. He was so callous to both of the girls' advances; it was kind of amazing.
>>
File: endofevangelionyeahrighdl2.jpg (57 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
endofevangelionyeahrighdl2.jpg
57 KB, 640x512
>>13468336

>just being pimp
>>
>>13468234
He was suppose to be the every man instead we got some schmuck that took forever to pick a girl
The fay guy in his squad was more entertaining in the short time he had
>>
Is this a new meme I'm not aware of? I really liked Hikaru, at first he struggles with the traumatic experience of seeing a death in the battlefield, he's not a bullshit magical prodigy and kind of an average every man to his final battle (there's another character to fill that role) and considering he's right in the tip of a love triangle he could be a lot more annoying and wishy-washy than he is.

So, how is he terribly bad? Bland I understand. He's supposed to be the most average of average guys. But bad? C'mon.
>>
>>13468555
>someone not liking what I like
>IS THIS A MEME?
Literal retard.
>>
>>13468721
>a retard calling other people retarded
Is this some new meme I haven heard of?
>>
>>13468234
Is Amuro a better character than him?

If so why?
>>
>>13468823
If Amuro ate 5 more PTSD sandwiches, he might have been. But as it stands, no.
>>
If he wasn't such a flake, maybe.

I just finished SDF Macross lately, and I swear, it didn't even feel like he had decided anything by the ending. It was just that Minmay wasn't part of the picture. In spite of that, he didn't seem ready or eager to be with Misa whatsoever. I could see him continuing to be so damn flaky that he'd start to propose and change his mind halfway through for no apparent reason
>>
>>13468234
Rick Hunter is a pretty cool guy
>>
>>13468234

his blandness is why he exists hes not some grim reaper killing zenrtradi by the hundreds and banging all the bridge bunnies instead he is a okay fighter pilot and a dumbass with woman he is the every man otherwise Roy should have been the MC or Max

besides hes way better then alto
>>
>>13468315
Anon didn't say he was, you illiterate fuckwit.
>>
I like that he started out as a cocky pilot who thought he was king shit because he'd won some trophies in civilian jets and was willing to take the piss out of Roy, do risky shit to show him up and look cool and just willing to have some fun.

I like that he saw some shit and got knocked on his ass by the reality of war and becoming a soldier along with dealing with first crushes.

I don't like that his kind of cocky and playful attitude from the first episode never really re-asserted itself once he'd decided to become a soldier and gotten used to that life. I think it would have made him a more interesting character in the second half or so if once he'd gotten in to life as a soldier that side of him had started to come to the fore again. Sure, it's harder to be like that when you have someone like Max around to show you just how relative your skill is, but that element of playful jibbing between male friends that he and Roy have in the first two episodes never really feels like it's there again after that point sadly and it would have added a good sense of camaraderie and made him seem more distinct.
>>
File: ..png (12 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
..png
12 KB, 256x256
>>13472065
>otherwise Roy should have been the MC or Max
>otherwise
>>
>>13468234
One of my favorite MCs because he has actual characterization instead of being the same static character from beginning to end.
>>
What the fuck? I thought /m/ worshipped SDF.

Where'd all this Hikaru hate come from?
>>
>>13472123
I think that around the time that that part of his personality might have started to manifest again, he gets severely injured, and his mentor dies shortly thereafter. That sort of thing's going to do a number on your ego.

But yeah, I like Hikaru. I'm rewatching the series again now for the first time in a decade or so, and I'm struck by a lot of his characterization.
>>
>>13472488
We took the nostalgia goggles off.
>>
>>13468389
Max and Kakizaki were GOAT supporting characters, in fact most of the Macross supporting cast are. Don't know if that makes them better though characters though, having to fill an MC role is tough. Side characters can just be a fun trait or two and that's all they need. Max's arc with Milia was great though.
>>
>>13472488
Zentradi redshirts have finally cracked speech-to-text posting.
>>
>>13472488
Hikaru is the blandest MC I've ever seen this side of Mars Daybreak

He's better in DYRL, they actually remembered to give him a personality besides "Indecisive"
>>
>>13468244
Only in DYRL. In the show, Minmay only went after him when she was cripplingly depressed and emotionally vulnerable. And she immediately got over him after her rejection, realizing she's only loved to sing.
>>
>>13468336
He was always a douchebag. He climbed and got in Minmay's room to deliver her present Twilight style. Or when he confessed his feelings and made it all about him, moments after she was in pain of looking how Earth was getting wrecked and her family died.

He was an asshole. Misa deserved better. At least Minmay dodged two bullets (him and Kaifun).
>>
>>13469380
Minmay was going to dump him because her real love was her singing and he knew it. They had no future together.

You can argue he's decisive in DYRL but there he falls for Misa for literally no reason.
>>
>>13468319
They said nothing about him having a harem.
They said he's a harem MC-tier protagonist.
>>
>>13474028
Not at all. He said that he loved her BEFORE the Earth was destroyed. Then she went to talk with him, and that's when the Zentraedis attacked. Also, he didn't make it all about him; he clearly told her that since she loved Kaifun, there was nothing to do about it, and wished her happiness with him. Did you even watch the series?
>>
>>13468244
>for not much reason
Because saving a person's life is completely meaningless, right?
>>
>>13468234
Do people hate Hikaru? I liked him a lot. I just finished the show about a month ago and I thought it was fucking fantastic. I didn't really dislike anyone other than that fucking faggot Kaifun
>>
>>13474028

> Minmay
> dodged a bullet
> with Kaifun
> the guy she spent ages dating and getting beat about the place by while he trawled her through a load of dive bars and other shit holes

Yea, she really dodged that bullet.
>>
>>13474269
Man, I'm trying to remember if Max winked at all in Macross 7.
>>
What ever happened to Clutchin's? I wanted to see his SDF Macross Ultamite Edition really bad.
>>
>>13472488
JUST FUCKING IMPREGNATE MISA AND TELL KAIFUN TO FUCK OFF YOU RETARD I FUCKING HATE YOU
>>
>>13474347
>with Kaifun
your reading comp needs work, check his post again.
>>
>>13468721
But I meant having threads like "(insert beloved thing here) IS NOT THAT BAD, WHY DO YOU GUYS NOT LIKE IT?!"

I recall one about Gun X Sword and now one with Pacific Rim. And at worst this stuff has some bad things, but I've never seen that many people who hate it or anything? I'm just confused.

I mean, if it was SEED or stuff like that...
>>
>>13468234
Well he's not Kaifun which counts for something. I fucking hate that stupid, jackass faux-pacifist motherfucker.
>>
>>13468389
>He was suppose to be the every man

well that's kind of the thing, he wasn't even that. He was a super ace pilot and a complete asshole
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.