[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Carrying the beam saber inside of the hand Is this actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 25
>Carrying the beam saber inside of the hand

Is this actually the most efficient place to carry it? The back placement on most Gundams has always seemed kind of awkward.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (941 KB, 1478x1061) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
941 KB, 1478x1061
Most efficient are the RX-0 beam sabres mounted on the forearms like a "beam tonfa", or the integrated beam sabres on the Aegis. Doesn't require hands and can activate at a moment's notice with no chance of slipping away. The Unicorn's forearm beam sabres are more flexible when it comes to usage as they can swivel on their mount to simulate swinging without needing to move the entire forearm, while the Aegis has fixed beam sabres that simply point outward from the limb.

Back placement stems from the RX-78's backpack mounting which was supposed to be vaguely based on samurai or ninja, but I don't think drawing a sword from the back would have been easy in real life unless it was fairly short.
>>
>>13463799
Shining Gundam's beam sabers were stored on the waist, I thought that made sense.
>>
https://youtu.be/is7A_htB54g
Look at the OP.
You have to twirl the beam saber around when it is ejected. Doesn't that seem more clumsy?
>>
>>13463810
I've never really been a fan of that. I'd much rather for arm for Beam shields or an Alex style forarm gun.
>>
Qubeley did it better, beam saber faces outward, usable as beam guns when stored.
>>
>>13463799
>Carrying a weapon instead of having it built-in for automatic use
>Efficient

Nah, not quite. They had it right with this guy, and this guy only.
>>
Most efficient
https://youtu.be/U3UjVW9MrOo
>>
Beam sabers should be on the torso because arms are usually the first to get blown up for the sake of forced drama.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2160
>>13463826
>Non-standard manipulator
Nope. Unicorn beam tonfa trumps it, and there's also Vagan MS that had multipurpose beam emitters in the palm of the hand that could produce beam pulses like a machine gun and a saber blade.
>>
>>13463839
Nah, in Gundam it's usually the head.
>>
>>13463799

Why not just build a sphere with beam sabers pointing in every direction, we've already seen that beamsabers are effective at blocking or vaporising other beams and solid ammo, why not just have a porcipine ball of sabers and ram it into things. Better yet, if you cam bend the beam to just be a bubble around you, then bam, you've created the ultimate indestructible weapon.
>>
>>13463811
Didn't nu have a wrist mounted one?
>>
>>13463799
for certain definitions of efficient.

having empty space in the arm where the saber should be stored isn't structurally sound and presumably works in Victory because construction techniques had advanced far enough for it not to be an issue.

Plus there's the fact the storage area needs to work as a place to charge the saber; it was backpack mounted on the RX-78-2 because that was the closest it could be to the reactors and still be conveniently located; it's easier to find space to put the required internals in the torso and legs than the arms.
>>
File: how to juice space lemons.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
how to juice space lemons.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>13463854
Because AGE tried something similar and it was a piece of shit

>>13463855
Yep. It also had a backpack mounted one as well.
>>
File: img_8816.jpg (123 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
img_8816.jpg
123 KB, 1024x683
>>13463826
Hi
>>
File: HGUC-Nu-Gundam-025.jpg (186 KB, 1500x999) Image search: [Google]
HGUC-Nu-Gundam-025.jpg
186 KB, 1500x999
>>13463855
nu had one on it's left arm, which is distinctly larger than the right (presumably both to act as a shield mount and to make room for whatever internals were required to get that thing charged and ready). It's backpack-mounted one was larger and more powerful though
>>
File: fxball.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fxball.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>13463862
>Because AGE tried something similar and it was a piece of shit
AGE-FX managed quite well with that same concept
>>
File: 1437629410106.png (135 KB, 480x354) Image search: [Google]
1437629410106.png
135 KB, 480x354
>>13463871
>Psychoframe
>one arm is longer than the other
ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>13463810
Whatever locking mechanism on that hinge must be pretty fucking strong, otherwise a good swing with enough force would just snap it right off.
>>
>>13463799
Most efficient is a beam rifle that can produce a beam saber at its tip like the Zeta gundams.
>>
File: Fx_burst.png (686 KB, 1039x689) Image search: [Google]
Fx_burst.png
686 KB, 1039x689
>>13463875
Legilis actually had a legit beam bubble, I'm not sure about the FX's bubble, were the knife funnels just orbiting the FX really quickly?

FX did have the porcupine thing going on, though.
>>
>>13463882
what?
>>
>>13463888
>Whatever locking mechanism on that hinge must be pretty fucking strong

It's made from the souls of dead newtypes, nothing is stronger.
>>
File: LegilisBall.jpg (175 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
LegilisBall.jpg
175 KB, 1440x810
>>13463895
Memory's hazy but I recall the FX bubble was generated by the funnels a la fin funnel barrier, and not just funnels going hyper speed.
>>
>>13463897
It probably fucks with your head a lot more than it would if you had arms of equivalent length. It's a whole new type of headache.
>>
>>13463826
There's pros and cons to both built in and hand held.

In short: Hand-held is much faster to replace/repair and easily exchangeable while built-in (when designed well) has a faster or instant draw time and typically more power.
>>
>>13463810
I've noticed the built-in sabers are getting more and more popular. A good half if not even more of AGE and G-Reco's mechs had them. Might be because of Unicorn's popularity.
>>
>>13463929
It's not longer, just bulkier due to the saber slot.
>>
>>13463810

Unicorn's beam tonfa is the worst of all arm saber storage. It's filmsy and it's too far away for the hand of the same arm to reach, which means it always have to grab the saber from the opposite arm. Sinanju/Sazabi 's saber rack is much better for the whole hands-free thing.
>>
>>13463821
I don't think they had beam shields until the 0120's? Even so they quickly became less useful with the VSBR rifles basically cutting through them like they weren't there.
>>
>>13463882
But that's not even how Psyco Frames work. It's not like the cockpits in G-Gundam.
>>
>>13463882
There's no "h" in psycoframe, anon.
It's short for "psycommu frame".
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
slightly off topic
there's always this setup
>>
>>13463854
There's also that MS in G-Reco that fucked everything until it had to face the power of incest boners
>>
File: 1347179505878.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1347179505878.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
>>13463854
>Why not just build a sphere with beam sabers pointing in every direction
As pointed out by >>13463895 we already have beam porcupine
>turn bluish color
>spiky
>moves really fast
Hey, it's mecha Sonic!
>>
>>13463799
I don't see why not. It provides quick access.
>>
File: Gundam-mkii-illus3.jpg (2 MB, 1980x2802) Image search: [Google]
Gundam-mkii-illus3.jpg
2 MB, 1980x2802
Nu//Unicorn/Jesta spring-action beam sabers were pretty cool, but I've always liked the Mk. II's beam racks. They just look so neat and give it a nice silhouette.
>>
>>13468854
>Like AGE 3 and FX
>Show bombed so bad that they'll never get anything
>Legilis and AGE 2 didn't even get Damashii
>>
>>13469084
>Show bombed so bad that they'll never get anything
They will, it'll just take a decade like with X kits
>>
>>13463799
The storage spot on the back of the Gundam was where the beam saber was recharged. It was placed there for close proximity to the reactor. Putting it in the arm means having to have a conduit for minovsky plasma to travel through the shoulder joint and upper arm to the beam saber's dock in the forearm.

Now supposedly, according to the gunpla manuals, the Alex was the first MS to have these energy conduits so that beam sabers wouldn't run out of power again (happened to Amuro that one time) but it still happened to Judau in the latter part of ZZ and most other MS still docked their beam sabers on their backs. Maybe the arm conduits just extend the amount of time the saber can operate so it drains slower but still can't function constantly. Maybe the docking station on the back can charge it faster. Maybe the conduit through the arm requires a fuckton of insulation to keep the particles hot enough, who knows?

But as the other anons pointed out, having that hollow space for the saber not only weakens the arm but there's no real reason to make it a pop-out hand-held weapon when the same amount of space could be used to make it a built-it weapon.
>>
>>13469112
The ZZ's beam sabers were larger than normal, so maybe the arm (already fucked up engineering-wise due to the transformation) just cannot recharge it fast enough
>>
>>13469084
Blame Bandai for making RD AGE-1 really ugly with weird proportion. It's as if they want it to fail so they have excuse to not making more of AGE RD after AGE-1 and Gafran (not that they have to do anything in retrospect)
>>13469112
From what I remember, Judau was losing all the power in that Psyco Mk.II fight. Not just the saber, but thrusters as well. So the arm conduit won't help anyway.
>>
>>13463810
> Beam Saber bayonet
Holy shit, I love it!
>>
File: GarazzoMono-eye.png (2 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
GarazzoMono-eye.png
2 MB, 1024x576
>>13463810
>Most efficient are the RX-0 beam sabres

johj
>>
>>13463810
Except it's not. Had it been the optimal way for humanoids to do blade combat there would have been more wrist blades in history. The reason for carrying a blade in your hand is because of the flexibility of the wrist allowing you to block and strike at more angles than wrist weapons do.
>>
>>13469491
I'd guess it's rather that having a sword strapped to your arm is likely a bit more unwieldy than a hilt that can produce an essentially weightless blade only when needed.
>>
File: what a tweeest.webm (265 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
what a tweeest.webm
265 KB, 720x480
>>13469437
>a beam saber conduit on the palm
>beam sabers on each fingertips
>beam sabers generated from each knucklebones
>beam saber on the forearm
>beam saber from the inside of forearm
>beam saber from the side of arm a la Cars/Chipp
>beam saber from the elbows
How far can you go
>>
File: G-SELF-VS-KABAKALI.jpg (443 KB, 1112x1600) Image search: [Google]
G-SELF-VS-KABAKALI.jpg
443 KB, 1112x1600
>>13469437
>>
>>13463799
Beam saber socket is the same housing for the beam shield, is why. When the beam saber is not in use, it's being used as the beam shield.

Learn to pay attention while watching the show.
>>
>>13469784
No it's not. The red elbow pieces are dedicated beam shield emitters.

>>13469437
When the hands are emitting beam blades, they can't be used for anything else. The Garazzo designers knew that so they didn't give it any handheld weapons.

>>13463982
That's because it's not meant to be storage for the same hand, but a quick-access beam blade weapon itself for stabbing and slashes.
>>
>>13470044
Yea, but they run off the beam saber. You never see the shield up when its beam saber is drawn.
>>
>>13470050
That's because it'd be awkward to hold a beam sabre and shield on the same arm. You never see the arm that's holding a beam rifle also generate a beam shield, do you?
>>
>>13470044
Why'd nobody ever do moves like Usso? Or is the Victory Gundam just the only Mobile Suit that is double jointed with an owl neck?
>>
>>13470058
The beam sabers are pretty small, and the rifle is about as long as the Victory's arm. Whole different sizes.
>>13470059
Yea, Usso just abuses the Victory's transformation articulation like a G1 Transformer.
>>
>>13470059
Shinn pulled off some Uso-style tricks in the Freedom VS Impulse fight.
>>
File: meca29-1.png (239 KB, 545x600) Image search: [Google]
meca29-1.png
239 KB, 545x600
>>13463799
>>
>>13463799
>not having finger saber
bd where?
>>
>>13470044
I'd still argue that the hinge that rotates the tonfa into place just makes it seem extremely flimsy for almost any beam saber clashes.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 420x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 420x630
What about Ex-S? All it has to do is reach down and retrieve the saber.
>>
>>13469491
Despite their similar shape, physical swords and beam blades don't share the same combat properties which, generally speaking, makes comparisons to traditional combat pointless in many areas.

For starters, a physical blade needs motion and momentum to cut whereas a beam weapon will pierce and melt on contact. Physical weapons also have to content with armor meant to block them; coincidentally, they need to be able to strike weak points in the armor to do any real damage. Because of that, physical blades need the range of motion provided by the wrists to land appropriate blows - a non-issue with beam and plasma weapons.

Now, the natural response to all of this would be the need for flexibility as a way to avoid projecting all of your movements in a melee duel... the problem is that humans are very limited in their ability to move through space. We can't jump very high, we don't duck too low, etc. Mobile suits, on the other hand, have thrusters that allow them far greater range of movement within 3D space at a much faster speed. The nuance in mobile-suit to mobile-suit melee combat isn't in how you handle the blade so much as its how you handle the body.

This isn't to say that a more articulate suit like, say, the (s)Exia wouldn't dominate other suits in physical combat, just making the point that manipulator articulation isn't as important in an MS context as it is in the human one.
>>
>>13470110
The Ex-S should also snap in half if it tried to turn around.
>>
File: 1427606570299.jpg (3 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1427606570299.jpg
3 KB, 150x150
>>13469437
>female villain
>finger claws
The fuck is up with this cliche, and what can we do to make it STOP?
>>
>>13470122
As you put it, momentum isn't important when using beam weapons. That, however, doesn't make flexibility and joints useless, it arguably makes more joints even more practical. If all else is equal (thruster configuration and output, size, weight, armor and saber number and length) the suit that has a greater flexibility to create strikes as well as block them will be superior. It's really not much to discuss.
>>
File: meca28-1.png (202 KB, 545x600) Image search: [Google]
meca28-1.png
202 KB, 545x600
>>13464401
The Gaitrash
>>
>>13470210
'Cause she got that catch scratch fever!

realtalk I dunno it's kind of a weird cliché, I guess it's that whole catfight thing that people like.
>>
>>13470249
>Gaitrash
Jesus. It's like they thought the "G-wrecko" guys's work was too hard and they needed some help.
>>
>>13470267
I will never understand why people think catfights are hot.

Have you ever seen women fighting? Bitches aren't playing around, they fucking mean it, and it gets real ugly real fast.
>>
>>13470267
That doesn't apply for 00 though. Garazzo was piloted by Bring Stabbity as well. All GN-X IVs have GN claws too.
>>
>>13470281
That's why you know when some guy is licking his lips at two women fighting, that's bad news.
>>
>>13463866

I really love the details on the Turn X robot spirits figure.
>>
>>13463845
>so Vagan MS that had multipurpose beam emitters in the palm of the hand that could produce beam pulses like a machine gun and a saber blade.

God those things were stupid. How the fuck are you suppose to hold anything when you have a pipe sticking out of the middle of your hand? Worst mechanical designs of any gundam series.
>>
>>13463866
See, this is why the villian's gundam design is so genius. It looks strong without looking bolated. It looks humanoid, but that claw takes away from it's humanity. Colours could have been better chosen, but it's still an amazing machine. Much better design than Turn A
>>
>>13470313
>thinking it wont retract
>>
The best placement for a beam saber should be near the other arm or in the shield.
>>
File: 300px-Gafran-ms.png (83 KB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
300px-Gafran-ms.png
83 KB, 300x345
>>13470313
you must be a complete idiot, those designs were leagues ahead of pretty much every grunt suit in gundam, i mean the series was shit and they were never used properly but my god just think for a second:
1Dual variable mount beam emitters in the palm for a quick change from beam machine gun to sword/2 guns /2 swords
2chest mounted cqc beam spray emitter with varying focus of spray
3Tail mounted heavy beam cannon for anti battleship and anti ms operations

You sir a retard for even thinking they need to hold any weapon they don't already have. If this was a zaku it would be 3 or 4 custom individual suits with applied upgrades and maintenance. ALSO IT COULD FUCKING FLY BY DEFAULT
>>
>>13470313
The few vagan MS that had handhold weapons could hold them just fine. IIRC the tail beam guns could be both held or just fired as is.
>>
File: gaeon wut.png (299 KB, 600x475) Image search: [Google]
gaeon wut.png
299 KB, 600x475
>>13470096
sure as long as no war-crazed Earthnoid doesn't shoot them off
>>
>>13470210
Innovade's questionable gender aside, the first one who used Garazzo is Bring Stabbity (or his twin, I forgot), a male type. So it's not like Garazzo is Hilling's specially designed unit y'know. Gadessa already used by Revive so it's logical for Hilling to use other unit in that final battle. Just be glad they don't paint the Garazzo pink.
>>
問題なのはこんなに作ればいいジャンで無くカッコよくいいモノが大事だから難しんだよ
>>
What would you guys think of a Gundam series or story where mobile suit beam weapons have to be attached to backpack generators for power, because they don't have something like e-cap or e-pac technology?
>>
File: turquiose zaku sniper.jpg (177 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
turquiose zaku sniper.jpg
177 KB, 1920x1080
>>13474076
In most series including the original, they're already powered by the reactor.

Still, it should be noted that e-caps and e-pacs merely reduce the amount of electricity required, because they store particles in a high energy state. There will always need to be a reactor to power the beam weapon.
>>
>>13474085
I mean like attached with cables and stuff while in battle. It's just a visual I have in my head, of mobile suits fighting with cabled beam weapons and it being a limitation of the technology because they're the first generation of combat MS.
>>
>>13463854
Because Gundam is stupid. Try not to think about it too hard
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.