[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the general response to this when it first aired? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: 21837.jpg (58 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
21837.jpg
58 KB, 900x350
What was the general response to this when it first aired? I know that The Day the Earth Stood Still is regarded as something of a masterpiece and any other Giant Robo adaptation is inevitably going to be compared to it, but how does GR fare on its own?
>>
>What was the general response to this when it first aired? I

"Where are the subs?!"
and
"Why is that website in English?!"
>>
Not sure about other people. My thoughts after watching the whole thing was "Cool. I guess."
>>
>sequel
>never
>>13463316
saw the first 3 episodes. bought a dvd of it from amazon for like 10 dollars, it was meh.
>>
>>13463316
No real response because there wasn't any real subs.
>>
No subs, because when people think Giant Robo they think the OVA and nothing else.

Unless they're old and remember Johnny Socko.
>>
>>13463316
I'm probably the only person here who's watched it. A while back I even did a rough plot summary of the series, now lost since the archive died. It's not horrible,but it's also nothing special nothing special. The plot get's kind of weird where they start to borrow plot elements from Yokoyama's Mars.

>>13467440
I know and don't understand why. You'd think people would at least care about the Day The Earth Burned and Siege of Babel mangas, but nope.
>>
>>13467514
>You'd think people would at least care about the Day The Earth Burned and Siege of Babel mangas, but nope.
;_; why did you have to remind me.
>>
>>13467440
>>13467514
Alpha-Numbers cares about the modern GR TV series. Only problem is, they expect new staff to volunteer with helping them start it up as a side project, when they're still having trouble finishing their Iron Leaguer project. No one applied for that, so far.
>>
>>13467514
>>13467530
>Day The Earth Burned and Siege of Babel
I think this is because they aren't considered very good from the people who read them.

Granted, I rather have them translated than not anyway.
>>
I had great potential but the MC so so utterly fucking unlikeable that he ruins the whole show.

Shinji is fucking annoying but he does it out of realism. Basara was annoying but he did it because of his principles.

Daisaku is just fucking retarded and makes horribly wrong, infuriating decisions for no reason. He was just written that way in an amateurish attempt to cash in on the success other shows were having with the formula.

I hate that little fucker so much.
>>
>>13468927

Can you give examples? I was about to start the show, but was not feeling like it. I like Chiaki J. Konaka sometimes, though. And I was curious about some interview I read about that being "Yokoyama's last wish" or something.
>>
>>13469177
Watch it anyway. Daisaku is an insufferable shit but almost everything else about the show is well above average.

If the voice actors sound a bit bored and flat give the first english dub a go. GR is bizzarre for its unusually bad jap voice acting IMO and it's the only anime I would ever reccommend the english dub for.
>>
>>13469296
did it get a full English release, cause that's the first I've heard of that
>>
>>13469313
There are at least two english dubs. I can vouch for the 90's manga entertainment dub being watchable. The later one not so much.
>>
>>13469323
oh thought you were talking about GR: Giant Robo, not The Day The Earth Stood Still, already own a full set for that one, complete with the Ginrei specials
>>
>>13469296
>>13469330

Ohhh, wait! That was not about GR at all?
>>
>>13469330
>>13469334
Now that's masterful trolling
>>
>>13463316
Lack of interest meant no S2 to conclude the sequel hook about the threat from space.

No subs means that no one watched it.

The show was by no mean made for existing Giant Robo fans, he's not even called Giant Robo even once in the show.

Best girl dies.

I personally thought it was an interesting Chiaki show with extra poor OST and a misguided attempt to revive the Giant Robo franchise.

I wish someone would sub it so actual discussion could happen.
>>
>>13469550

It's in the brazillian Netflix right now, it was brought to cash on the original live action series nostalgia, ironically.
>>
File: wallppr_02s.jpg (450 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wallppr_02s.jpg
450 KB, 1024x768
It never got decent subs and it was pretty mediocre anyway, from what I've seen of the raws. GR's Daisaku is flat and boring and is just another wimpy Shinji clone. They tried to inject some ancient alien mystic shit in there that just doesn't work. Like the OVA, it sets up a massive sequel hook that will never be delivered. Someone pulls a gun on the kid and basically forces him to link up with and control Giant Robo in the second episode, again because he's the series' Shinji.

Giant Robo is never called such in the series and I'm really not a fan of its design. Sure, it's closer to the old toku, but something is wrong with that face.
>>
It'd be neat to watch since I really like Answers
>>
I found the tentacle backpack neat, for the sole reason that it gave Giant Robo a rocket punch
Shame they barely used the other robots
>>
>>13463316
>The Day the Earth Stood Still is regarded as something of a masterpiece
Only by delusional imagawautists
>>
>>13469853
'Barely' would a understament. 2 of them blown up without doing anything simply because the others are blowing up too.

I used part of my free trial on netflix to watch this, and I haven't watched the Earth Stood Still yet, so no expectations, and after completed it, I can see why nobody care much about it.

Boring is the key word here.

The combination of slow paced plot, grey-and-black color palette and reduced action (the best fight doesn't even have Giant Robo itself in it) does not do it any favors.

I dare to say the final is at least somewhat decent, but that don't excuse the whole thing. It's nothing special, but does not execute anything very well.

The Brazilian dub makes it more bearable to watch, at least.
>>
>>13469847
Are you talking about the Opening Song?
>>
>>13470031
Yeah, it's great
I should've specified more though considering we're discussing Giant Robo so some misunderstandings are bound to occur
>>
Watched the first episoda. Kinda meh.
>>
File: goods_dvdbox_ss03.jpg (28 KB, 146x331) Image search: [Google]
goods_dvdbox_ss03.jpg
28 KB, 146x331
Scenes from the pilot episode approved by Yokoyama.
>>
>>13475459
Which didn't end up using anything remotely like that in the end, of course.
>>
The OP's really neat. Everything else is just "eh."
>>
>>13475472

He died before that.
>>
Jeez, nice to know there are other people who like the OP besides me

>KONO TE
That's the only part of the lyrics I can make out
>>
>>13478104

It's interesting because GR's OP is one of those ones that's slightly remixed between the actual full song and the TV version. The actual full song is slightly more low key and mellow, while the OP uses a more energetic, heavy instrumental.
>>
>>13469456
I actually wasn't trolling, I just got confused about which version of Giant Robo he meant
>>
>>13478281
huh you're right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d-CpqxvlMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG1__6TsxRQ
>that part where the robos/GRs are falling to earth
man what a shame that it is not that great and that ends in a sequel hook then, because that looks cool as fuck also sad since it seems that they got curbstomped by those alien pryamid things
in any case the moment this got subs i will watch it

i tried finding a rip of the single, no luck
>>
>>13478840

I'd say just find a decent Youtube ripper and grab it from the video, myself.
>>
>>13479034
yep that's what i did actually: i used savefrom net and then i converted it into a mp3
>>
>>13475235
It improves around episode 4 or 5. Kinda.
>>
>>13479198

Oh well, I will try keeping with it then.
>>
>>13480316
You need to watch it like a Chiaki show, not like a Giant Robo one. If you can't into moon you're toasted though.
>>
>>13480327

Don't worry, there's a portuguese dub for it on Netflix. But well, this is probably the shortest Chiaki series I ever seen, so I wonder how it will turn out.
>>
>>13480331
It's the same as Big O, they had the budget for one cour and hoped someone would fund another to properly conclude the story. Although this one is much more conlcusive than Big O first season.
>>
>>13480475

>same as Big O

Funny, considering how similar in design Giant Robo and Big O are.
>>
>>13469788
>GR4 is straight up a black version of GR1 with more weapons
I don't get how they got away with this
>>
File: DSCF0013_alt[1].jpg (274 KB, 1050x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0013_alt[1].jpg
274 KB, 1050x1600
>>13481723
GR4 is actually based on one of enemies in the Toku, Calamity, from episode 22. It was called Cleopat in Johnny Sokko.
>>
File: 1446786304564.jpg (84 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
1446786304564.jpg
84 KB, 900x350
>>13463316
>>
>>13482117

I would give a chance to the old show if it was not for what they have done to Big Fire. Being under the control of some ridiculous looking alien and his monsters. GR-3 is not even mentioned from what I heard.
>>
Episode 2 and 3 are actually pretty decent. Episode 3 actually is somewhat similar to the original manga. After a battle against GR-2, GR-1 is being transported by sea when they're attacked by some tentacle monster. The exact same thing happened in the first part of the manga. And yeah, the pacing is the same as your standard Chiaki show, but it's getting more interesting as it goes.
>>
File: GR 2007.jpg (87 KB, 250x354) Image search: [Google]
GR 2007.jpg
87 KB, 250x354
I wish the Anime artstyle was as detailed as the Promo Arts
>>
5 episodes watched.

The show is much better than what I was expecting. I'm liking it so far. Just don't expect it to be Imagawa's Giant Robo.
>>
>>13482223
kind of a tradition it seems, you can only see GR3 in the day that the earth stood still OVAs during the opening, and i think i saw it getting wrecked by Giant Robo in a promo pic, of course, Robo was the spotilight of the pic and you only see GR3's back.
getting back to GR, in wikipedia it says that there's a manga as well, probably an adaptation of the 13 episodes?
>>
>>13482955
>Just don't expect it to be Imagawa's Giant Robo
As it was said multiple times in the thread, they don't even call GR-1 Giant Robo even once in the show.
>>
>>13483806
>Manlet Robo
>>
File: 1417479911469.png (983 KB, 467x686) Image search: [Google]
1417479911469.png
983 KB, 467x686
Not exactly a popular opinion, but this will always be my favorite GR1 design.
>>
>>13468644
The art's weird and it took a while for any translations to come out. I was really interested, but lost track of the translations and never got back into them.
>>
>>13483806

The dub actually calls it "Robô Gigante" at a few points. But then, they call all others like that at some point.
>>
>>13485526

It's my favorite too. I just love Yokoyama's designs no matter what.

And it was originally supposed to be that:

>>13475459
>>
>>13485555
>but lost track of the translations
Well, the good news is - it's still left off at the same place as it was before so you didn't miss anything from taking a break!

That's also the bad news
>>
>>13486390
>The dub actually calls it "Robô Gigante" at a few points
Bad dub, bad.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.