[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does ZZ get so much hate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14
File: mobile-suit-gundam-zz-2.jpg (326 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
mobile-suit-gundam-zz-2.jpg
326 KB, 960x720
I've just started ZZ (5 episodes in) and I don't really get the hate

There is an obvious tonal difference but after how dark zeta was getting a change isn't a bad thing. Plus it isn't like zeta didn't have it's fair share of silly. If you wanted more serious there are plenty of entries that are. The comedy is pretty good, especially anything with Mashymre. I also like seeing a different type of colony, one that is actually not in a good state and how people deal with that

Judau is a nice change from Amuro and Kamile, I like them both but Judau feels pretty fresh. It's also nice to see an inexperienced pilot properly get his shit kicked in instead of just magically being good. I'm not very attached to any of his friends yet but I like that they feel like a proper gang who feel like they have known each other for a while

I also love how everyone looks 80s as all fuck
>>
>>13461220
>getting a change isn't a bad thing
You clearly don't get how gundamfags work.
>>
>>13461220
Nobody hates Gundam ZZ anymore as people actually have seen ZZ now.
>>
>>13461220
>Why does ZZ get so much hate?
It's not canon.
>>
There are more problems in the plot and utilization of its parts than the setting. The setting is nice where you are now but there's a lot of repetition and eh coming.
>>
>>13461220
>Judau is a nice change from Amuro and Kamile
Good, I hope you enjoy it, because he doesn't change at all over the course of the series.
>>
>>13461234
Dude that is sooooo 2010
>>
>>13461242
ZZ's desert arc is probably the only unenjoyable one in all of Gundam.
>>
>>13461220
>nice to see an inexperienced pilot properly get his shit kicked in
Every battle, Mashymre/Chara/Gottn jobs in the ludicrous way so Judau can come out on top

> I like that they feel like a proper gang who feel like they have known each other for a while
Beecha and Mondo are actually trying to kill Judau
>>
It ruins the older characters
>>
>>13461243
That's not true, anon!

Judau ends up becoming an enormous asshole who punches Bright for no reason and ditches his sister and friends so he can go fuck a blueberry on Jupiter.
>>
>>13461234
this
>>
>>13461267
worth it desu
>>
>>13461220
Judau is literally just Camille minus the social awkwardness and a little more cool. He still punches people for next to no reason and he's still got that "YOU'RE THE REASON PEOPLE DIE!!" mentality. He's not horrible but I didn't like him as much as Camille or Amuro on the grounds that I don't find him as entertaining.

> It's also nice to see an inexperienced pilot properly get his shit kicked in instead of just magically being good.
When did that happen? I don't remember it, and if it happened, it didn't stick for much. All I can think from the beginning is the Yazan "fight" and how that fucking garbage collector and Judau humiliate Fa, who has survived a war because she's not the main character. Maybe he was humbled a couple times but let's be realistic, he's as magically good as Amuro or Camille. He's the Main Character.

By the way anon, you sound like you would like Xabungle. Watch it when you're done with ZZ. I think you'll have a great time if you enjoy the Mashymyre/Gottn shenanigans of the beginning of ZZ.
>>
>>13461302
>minus the social awkwardness and a little more cool.
that is pretty much the opposite of Kamile
>>
>>13461302
>_____ is literally just ____ minus
Shut up, fuck you
>>
As a direct follow up to Zeta, I can see why the sudden tonal shift would be off putting to people.

Personally, I thought it was pretty enjoyable in its own right.
>>
File: tumblr_lrllcjBgcE1r24hcao1_500.gif (318 KB, 500x427) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lrllcjBgcE1r24hcao1_500.gif
318 KB, 500x427
>>13461311
>>13461317
They're both really violent Main Characters who are magically good at piloting a robot and, for all intents and purposes lead an army. The main difference is what I said. Camille gets shit for his violent acts because he's a nerd. Judau gets showered in kisses because he's cooler.

Judau also has angst in the form of his missing sister. But even that turns out to be A OK in the end, so yeah, he's Camille minus a couple negative things and a bad boy 80s 'tude.
>>
>>13461339
He's Kamille minus the whole "growing up" thing. He's just as immature and selfish in the end as he is in the beginning.
>>
Because ZZ has no idea what hell it's doing.
I'm almost finished it but jesus christ the amount of mood whiplash it has is insane. I love the characters but the slapstick is so fucking annoying.
>>
>>13461302
>When did that happen?
he can barely control the Zeta, crashes a lot, nearly gets stabbed by yazan and only survives by luck, same deal with Mashymre next episode, can barely damage other mobile suits till the end of an episode and generally gets punched a lot

>you sound like you would like Xabungle. Watch it when you're done with ZZ.
I'll give it a go

>Judau is literally just Camille minus the social awkwardness and a little more cool
>>13461339
>he's Camille minus a couple negative things and a bad boy 80s 'tude.
I mean you can pretty much say any character it the same but minus X and add Y. Judau really does have the whole autism and lack of any social skills. His confidence also comes out differently
>>
>>13461359
Welp, in his "defense" I'd say that he grows to care a litle more about stuff than he did at the beginning of the show. It's not saying much and it's just natural because he was involved in an armed conflict, but still. It's something.
>>
>>13461363
*doesn't
>>
>>13461263
>implying Zeta didn't completely ruin Char and Bright
>>
>>13461359
>He's just as immature and selfish in the end as he is in the beginning.
yeah, he's still willing to work a full time job or kill people if it means supporting his sister's well-being
>>
>>13461440
Is that why he ditches her?
>>
>>13461431
Not as much as ZZ ruined Bright, Haman, Hayato, Yazan
>>
>>13461445
he found out he can just newtype skype to check on her and hitler's sister says she'll help so it's cool
>>
>>13461449
How?
>>
>>13461220
It's divisive, but I enjoyed it.

>>13461324
This.
>>
>>13461564
I think they suffered from the change in tone, it doesn't fit their characters established in Zeta
>>
ZZ was super boring with nothing happening and no real direction until 25 eps in. Judeau is just the guy who pilots the gundam and nothing else. Chara Soon is best girl, 2nd best is Roux, 3rd is Elle, 4th Haman, 5th Puru, 6th Puru II
>>
>>13461656
>the first 5 best girls are all just dumb, whiny bitches
>>
>>13461671
The most pandering bitch is just amazing :^)
>>
>>13461678
Oh fuck you, Charles.
>>
>>13461649
That and they made Bright a fucking cheater, but I suppose that's no worse a crime than fathering Hathaway
>>
>>13461656
Laundry girl is best girl
>>
What happened with Yazan? I thought they were setting up his return and then he just got stuck on Shangri-La after doing basically jack shit
>>
>>13461775
I think he ended up with the Federation again, and he had a cute girl as his waifu.
>>
>>13461220
I'm right there with you.

Avoided ZZ like the plague because I kept hearing that people who liked Zeta would hate it. And vice versa.

10 episodes in and I'm having a blast. Have decided to disregard any shit meme opinions from /m/ in the future, and will be watching Victory next to round out the UC experience.
>>
>>13461814
Make sure to try SEED too, I'm sure you'll love it.
>>
>>13461699
He never actually went with what's-her-name and regretted the affair the whole time. He basically rejected her but never worked up the courage to speak of this.

>>13461814
Why'd you believe those guys? Form your own opinions.
>>
>>13461814
ZZ and particularly V always seemed to have a considerable contingent of supporters on /m/ to me
>>
>>13461872
I think it is mostly cause people set those up like the worst shows ever, but them you watch them and they are no worse than half the shit /a/ hypes up for a season then forgets
>>
>>13461932
This. ZZ, Victory, Wing, X, SEED, Destiny, and 00 aren't anywhere near as bad as /m/ says.
>>
>>13461964
>SEED, Destiny
no, that is one everyone can agree on. Even the VAs hate it
>>
>>13461976
Yeah, no.

Oh, and I forgot AGE. That's also a show that was killed by people deciding to hate it before seeing it.
>>
>>13461932
>>13461964
>as bad as /m/ says

See, with you guys, it seems like you listened to the memesters or else got the brunt of them when you looked around, rather than the occasional guy who says, "oh, well, just form your own opinions on it", or "it's fine by me".
>>
>>13461824
Seen SEED.

Thought it was fine. Not the biggest fan of Kira but I loved rooting for the Le Creuset team and loved the GAT series and the Mobius.

/m/'s opinion of Destiny however, is completely legit.
>>
>>13461431

They are fucking awesome in Zeta though
>>
>>13461964

Half of those are still fucking terrible though.

ZZ, Victory and X okayish

Wing, SEED, Destiny, and maybe 00 are absolute garbage.

Shit /m/, how can you hate Code Geass but love 00? Fuck
>>
>>13462029
Code Geass was good too, what are you on about?
>>
>>13461983

But that is also pretty bad and shouldn't have existed

Funny how you mention all those horrible shows but no mention of G-Reco or Iron Blooded Orphans, or heck, maybe even The Origin or Unicorn.

That's because they are shit right?

Oh /m/ never changes
>>
>>13462031

I like it man, what baffles me, is that I hear more love from /m/ for fucking 00 (it's not THAT bad... but still... bad) and Code Geass is practically just a meme here.
>>
>>13462029
>Shit /m/, how can you hate Code Geass but love 00? Fuck
Are you retarded?
>>
>>13462039
G-Reco IS shit, it's too early to tell with IBO, Origin isn't done either, more people like Unicorn here than dislike it.

>>13462046
There are a lot of contrarian memesters here nowadays. Hence why you can't talk about Evangelion or Gurren Lagann anymore either.
>>
File: img_1216673_29276738_0.jpg (195 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
img_1216673_29276738_0.jpg
195 KB, 800x585
Because Nahel-Argama is operation only for children.
>>
>>13462029
>Shit /m/, how can you hate Code Geass but love 00?
/m/ is not a hive mind. Both series have their fans as well as their critics here.
>>
>>13462055
>G-Reco is shit

G-Reco is shit, yes.

But it's still miles better than Age, Seed/Destiny, 00, Wing, X, Victory and some retarded OVAs that get hyped to hell and back here (NOT talking about War in the Pocket)

I don't even like Unicorn but compared to the ones I mentioned it is godly.
>>
>>13461872
I really like victory, just watched the episode where motorad did a wheelie on Usso's mother's head, pretty metal.

Also i love how motorad seemed to be squad of the week but so far it looks like the real Zanscare core, the Tiger-Force if you will.
>>
File: Adrastea-class.jpg (209 KB, 1222x871) Image search: [Google]
Adrastea-class.jpg
209 KB, 1222x871
>>13462477
The whole of the Motorad fleet and Einerad MS are invincible.
I just want Victory HGs Bandai, please.
>>
>>13461220
>>
ZZ gets so much hate because of the tonal shift, primarily.

Consider: in Zeta, Yazan was one of the most fearsome and loathsome characters, responsible for killing several beloved good guys. Instead of getting killed (justice!) he goes on to be a comical character in ZZ. A comical character!! Bad taste. BAD TASTE.

Also, a bunch of punk kids with no class, no respect for anyone, and no brains (and in the case of Beecha and Mondo are downright despicable) take over the Ahgama, make everyone's beloved Bright into a chump, and inherit the beloved Zeta MSs without ANY merit.

Also: Puru is FUCKING ANNOYING

Also also: stories like the Moon-Moon arc, which was a friggin' waste of time and was sheer nonsense.

Also also: even after the show gets serious again, in the second half, there's the little issue that the main characters' presence in the story changes it not at all. They don't do anything, they don't accomplish anything, they don't change anything. That's some bad writing, son.

That said, the show had wicked cool mecha designs and pretty keen character designs too.
>>
>>13461246
>ZZ's desert arc is probably the only enjoyable one in all of Gundam.

FTFY
>>
>>13461302
>as magically good as Amuro or Camille

Dude, Judau is WAY more magically good than Amuro, Camille, or anyone from the UC-verse. He defeats his enemies by basically going "booga"! in their faces and then they hold still so he can kill them. And, he's the MOST POWERFUL NEWTYPE ever seen. Freakin' supplies power to the ZZ with his newtype magic alone -- and supplies enough power to overload the Hi-Mega Cannon and melt the head. And has Newtype X-ray vision. And can make newtype force fields to deflect beam attacks. I mean... WTF.
>>
>>13461814

But Victory is actually good. Weird, but good.
>>
I thought ZZ was fine. My only major gripe with it was Glemy suddenly being an evil mastermind, which totally doesn't have anything to do with a certain movie being greenlit no sir.

>>13463914
>And can make newtype force fields to deflect beam attacks
Kamille did that too remember
>>
File: 1448730.jpg (53 KB, 359x507) Image search: [Google]
1448730.jpg
53 KB, 359x507
>>13461220
I only have 4 episodes left and I have much more complain than praise with the product.

Probably the most obvious is the complete shift of tone for a different audience. This could have been fine if ZZ was a standalone but this is the direct sequel to two shows that already established a large, older fanbase and with that come expectations. ZZ simply parts with the standards of its prequels and for the most part, aims exclusively at a kid audience with its blatant childish tone.

The big war story full of interesting characters becomes the adventures of a band of little mischieves. The show itself is quite satisfied with lacking substance and consistency.

The first 17 or so tells us pretty much nothing, it introduced us to a lot of characters that don't serve much purpose beyond being comic relieves. This includes Moon-Moon, which is an undisguised attempt from Tomino at making crap for shit and giggles.

Haman is then reintroduced and the plot seems to finally kick off. We're then treated to a couple of pants on head retarded episodes about the irrelevant and annoying Cecilia, likely in an attempt to turn Gotton into an asshole and write him off.

Following that point the show bizarrely gets good, the very well put together Africa arc is a treat to 0079 fans and the following Dublin will please Zeta fans. It's also during that part that the kids, Judau in particular, start getting their shit together.

The show then discards the adults and let the kids take over. The kids turn into wooden and bland good guys fighting evil and Haman is reduced at being the core villain of a saturday morning cartoon. Tomino's second attempt at making downright shit happens in the form of Tigerbaum, its first part being so bad it's good and the second being some of the most idiotic drama to plague Gundam. And in the meantime we get a bunch of irrelevant padding characters no one cares about, not even the chara designer.
>>
File: 1433122979071.jpg (247 KB, 900x1067) Image search: [Google]
1433122979071.jpg
247 KB, 900x1067
>>13463948
In the end I'll admit that a good deal of the comedy stuff was funny and production had some solid moments. Bright almost NTRing Mirai was hilarious.

Poor Haman didn't deserve to be stuck in this mess.
>>
>>13461248
>Beecha and Mondo are actually trying to kill Judau

Note how they try to kill him after defecting to Zeon. They only try to save Leina to get in their good graces, fail, but get in good by revealing their plans to bomb a station (?) and join the Aragama crew again. They immediately try to kill Judau like an episode or two later because Judau gets more attention than them.
>>
>>13463947
>Kamille did that too remember

Yeah I do remember, but he didn't do the other shit Judau could do -- and keep in mind, the Zeta actually had working power supply when it went Hyper mode and generated that barrier. The ZZ? No power at all. It was powered purely by Judau's magic, AND he generated a barrier for it.
>>
>>13463965
You can't actually maturely discuss this thing by going straight with the "lol murder lmao" any more than Emary with people who have the agenda to "understand it" as cheating. No-one fucking writes a murder attempt for laffs. It is what is shown in the episode, Beecha just goes "haha look at that Judau always at his stupid shit, what a hothead" to make him look like a retard.
>>
File: 4thwall.jpg (60 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
4thwall.jpg
60 KB, 960x720
>>13463998

Let's add that this is actual dialogue.
>>
>>13463948
Pretty much exactly this, except I liked Moon-Moon. It was the only one where the humor connected with me.
>>
ZZ is best show
best gundam
best Zeon
Best gundam team
so much fun.
plz enjoy
>>
The ED is underrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh0p6GukD_c
>>
File: m seal of approval.jpg (122 KB, 576x513) Image search: [Google]
m seal of approval.jpg
122 KB, 576x513
>>13463948

Excellent post, /m/y /m/an. Agreed 100%.
>>
>>13463948
Gundam is a toy advert for kids
>>
File: 1444225448641.jpg (30 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
1444225448641.jpg
30 KB, 362x362
>>13464128
Some toy ads are better than others.
>>
File: efregrq.png (3 MB, 1446x1078) Image search: [Google]
efregrq.png
3 MB, 1446x1078
Liking ZZ depends on if you wanted more depressing war stuff (which you have more options for now) and how funny you find the humour.

Even then it does like to drags it's heels and pull stuff out it's ass to have Judau win fights, but you have to be a miserable sod who likes war a bit too much to not have fun with it most of the time

Better than Unicorn at least
>>
>>13463920
What's good about Victory?
>>
>>13464167
Uso.
>>
>>13464173

He's the only decent character in the anime. ZZ has none, though.
>>
>>13461220
Because it's not funny. I don't care about muh tone but if you're gonna have the first 20 or so episodes be about funny hijinks then by god you better have those hijinks be actually funny.
>>
>>13464198
Tell 'em!
>>
>>13464043
I liked Cheetah and Cum.
Fight me!
>>
>>13461360
>slapstick is annoying
Can you people just leave
All of you
>>
File: fghjkl.png (230 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
fghjkl.png
230 KB, 500x376
We all agree on best girl right?
>>
File: haman tsundere.jpg (275 KB, 800x1431) Image search: [Google]
haman tsundere.jpg
275 KB, 800x1431
>>13465947
Her voice disgusts me, so no. I'll just stick with Haman, who is the only (formerly) decent character in the whole thing.
>>
>>13464167

Fuckin' everything, motherfucker!
>>
>>13461220
It is personally one of my favorite gundam. It is more popular now and popular to troll Zeta so a lot of people share your opinion. Personally I have liked Zeta more and agree with more ZZ criticisms after thinking about it, but, ZZ I liked the most at first.
>>
>>13464128
It doesn't mean it can't be a good toy advert.
>>
File: hamancoffee.png (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hamancoffee.png
39 KB, 300x300
>>13465947
Haman is the best in the franchise though
>>
>>13461220
I thought the dark, serious war drama Zeta was a fucking joke, so I enjoyed it. Plus, it had a better color palette and better girls
>>
File: Img_1216673_37920791_0.jpg (454 KB, 743x975) Image search: [Google]
Img_1216673_37920791_0.jpg
454 KB, 743x975
>>13463949
And I'm done with the last 4 episodes. Despite being better than what came before it was awkward. It was your typical Tomino dragging a battle and blowing up the remaining pilots one by one just for the sake of body count. The finale was by far the weakest of any Tomino Gundam. Also they completely forgot about Illia after Mashma went full banzai.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.