[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does a person get into Getter Robo? I get that I should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 6po8a37.jpg (126 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6po8a37.jpg
126 KB, 1024x768
How does a person get into Getter Robo?

I get that I should probably just read through the manga, but what OVAs would/should I watch alongside that?

Also how do I transfer from Z-Hen animation back to the 70s animation for Great Mazinger and Grendizer, I might just read the manga from scratch instead
>>
Manga is it's own thing
OVA and Toei are standalone watch them whenever
>>
>>12549724
Wait wait so there's a manga, an actual anime, and an OVA?

Shit how big is this franchise?
>>
>>12549734
Not that big OVA's are short 2 13 episodes and one 4 episode one
Manga is pretty short read it over the weekend.
Toei is really different from the rest of the franchise and last time I checked as seduce away subs
>>
>>12549702
manga has nothing to do with the show which has nothing to do with the OVAs which have nothing to do with each other. The only thing out of all this with any continuity is the manga and you should read up to Go/Shin before touching any of the OVAs to fully appreciate them.

Shin Mazinger into Great and Grendizer doesn't make any damn sense because Shin wasn't just Mazinger Z HD, it was it's own thing. So yeah from scratch is the way to go. However, Mazinger doesn't have a big neat and clean single continuity like the Getter manga does. It's a clusterfuck of standalone stuff.

The shows on the other hand aren't. Toei Mazinger series, Vs. Great General of Darkness, Great Mazinger, Grendizer.

Then it has a couple OVAs as well that are also random shit that don't fit in anywhere like Mazinkaiser
>>
>>12549747
>Manga is pretty short read it over the weekend.
There are people who actually do that? It's been over four years since I've started reading it and I STILL haven't finished
>>
>>12549760
what the fuck? how? I was about to second that guy's post. Getter Robo is short as fuck finished it in like a week tops just reading it on the commute to work
>>
>>12549760
Come on man it's not fucking One Piece with hundreds of chapters
>>
>>12549771
Man, I don't even know. I guess I just take long brakes because the sheer number of volumes scares me.
>>
>>12549702
>How does a person get into Getter Robo?
That's actually a pretty good question.
I don't think they ever showed us a good shot of one of the Getters' cockpit hatches in the manga.
>>
Speaking of the manga, is there anywhere that you can read volumes 3, 4, and 5?
>>
Alright then so in what order does the manga go in?

Getter Robo > Getter Robo G > Getter Robo Go > Shin Getter Robo > Getter Robo Arc

Right?
>>
>>12549828
Of the original Getter Robo manga.
>>
>>12549857
Doesn't it just move onto G after Volume 2?

Just looking at the titles on Batoto and it looks like the original manga only has 13 chapters + special.
>>
>>12549867
On wikipedia it says there are 5 volumes though.
>>
>>12549873
Update on my hunt:
The wikipedia page is bullshit, what a fucking surprise.
>>
>>12549929
Seems that way, they don't even properly list the Getter Robo Manga.

Jesus, I wonder how many old Super Robot stuff wikipedia is bullshit on.
>>
>>12549822
but you don`t get into the robot, you get into the jets and form the robot
>>
>>12549847
that is correct
>>
>>12549947
>>12549929
>>12549873
The rerelease of Getter Robo put the 5 volumes into 2
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-06-0145.png (214 KB, 812x1300) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-06-0145.png
214 KB, 812x1300
>>12549822
>>
Why the fuck are the pilots such angry psychopaths in the manga? And why do I love that so much?
>>
>>12550950
They're pretty nice people in Go and Ah, all things considered. Still far more insane then yer average gendum or brave character.
>>
>>12550232

I was never much of a fan of Ishikawa's artstyle. I was always more into the earlier Go Nagai-looking stuff
>>
>>12550988
I just read Hayato tear a man's face off with his bear hands, and the worst I've seen in Gendum is just incredibly autistic pilots.
>>
>>12549702
Best that you don't; the OVA takes cues of both the Getter Robo franchise (both Toei's animes and Ishikawa's mangas) and Ishikawa's other works. They're their own thing.

You're better off reading Ken Ishikawa's Getter Saga before anything else.

>>12550950
You never read the manga, did you?
>>
>>12551365

That being said, I wouldn't call any of the animated stuff outright BAD aside from Go. they all do their own thing and generally do them well, they're not trying to be the manga.

Last couple episodes of New were dumb though.
>>
>>12551004
As he said, the pilots in the later entries tend to be less psychopathic, albeit still pretty crazy.

The original pilots mellow out a bit over time, too.
>>
File: 1419487685280.png (312 KB, 591x334) Image search: [Google]
1419487685280.png
312 KB, 591x334
>>12550950
I dunno, Ryouma was kind of a naive and kind of innocent guy when it came down to it. But he definitely had the bloodlust. Hayato I can't make an argument for, he's crazy. The other pilots range from nice guys to screw loose but still okay.
>>
>>12551443
I watched some Getter Robo Go episodes and didn't have any problem with them. I haven't watched whole series with English subs so I can't say much more than that. It had good action and character hijinks. It also still has a following in Japan and lots of elements of it were used for the SvN anime. I think there's just some licensing issues with Getter Robo Go.
>>
>>12551472

Was Musashi or Benkei the one that was a mountain bandit and he stole away a village's daughters as sex slaves (and they loved it, judging by how they looked when they were found sleeping next to him)
>>
>>12551443
>Last couple episodes of New were dumb though.
Better than the time travel stuff. I just wish New had used the Dinosaur Empire or even the Hundred Demon Army instead of the Oni.
>>
>>12551482
That never happened. What's wrong with you?
>>
>>12551511

I totally remember a manga panel having it, and then tinking "ohhhh, that's where they got the idea for that in New Getter"
>>
>>12551004
The best thing about Hayato is how he shits his pants a hand full of times in the first manga.
>>
>>12551524

No matter how crazy you are, intelligent bipedal killer dinosaurs would scare the shit out of you.
>>
File: Hayato flips his shit.png (113 KB, 838x349) Image search: [Google]
Hayato flips his shit.png
113 KB, 838x349
>>12551524
Hayato can't take this
>>
>>12551518
That never happened in the manga. It was just a thing in New.

Speaking of which, New's Benkei really annoyed me. Like, they were trying to make him a composite of Musashi and Benkei, but he didn't act like either of them.
>>
>>12550950
to be fair, they are essentially all acolytes to a mecha eldritch horror
>>
>>12551533
Because they weren't supposed to represent either one of them apart from their names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benkei
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.