[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19
File: sekaifistbump.jpg (266 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
sekaifistbump.jpg
266 KB, 2048x1152
What went wrong?
>>
>>12545107
You made me punch my screeen
>>
>>12545107
He went for that ice-cold, vagina when he already had that delicious, loyal boypussy. Fuck this guy.
>>
>>12545112
Aren't you talking about Reiji?
>>
>>12545107
Threads like this.
>>
File: 12233434455536.jpg (150 KB, 600x890) Image search: [Google]
12233434455536.jpg
150 KB, 600x890
This.
>>
>>12545107
Nothing. ANN and MAL liked it so it must be good r-right?
>>
>>12545131
>Not forming your own opinions while ignoring the majority
How's it feel to be an unthinking mass of cells?
>>
It was just inferior to GBF.

In pretty much every way.
>>
Sekai isn't a submissive enough shota for /m/ frankly /m/ expected a direct sequel when all they got is a spin-off
>>
>>12545141
But that's exactly what we're doing here!
>>
>>12545107
Everything but premise

>Story
Is there one? Like really. They all want to win the competition cause winning is good. No stakes or anything.

>Characters
Sekai is a complete blank. he has neaxt to zero character and doesn't develop at all. If anything he loses it by being less silly and occasionally saying weird martial arts philosophy (like in Shimon episode). He has no reason to fight. Past is never explored. Why he lucks out on BB so much comes to nothing. His whole character is completely nothing

Fumina is half bland half annoying. She has great set up as a gundam nerd girl, easy waifubait but whatever. She proceeds to do nothing with that, in fact first half of the show she has no presence especially in fights. After that she is either saying Sekai is great or no sekai's dick is mine.

Yuuma learns that he is not just a builder but a fighter 50 times. Literally every few episodes he'd go through the same arc again. His relationship with Sekai is never explored but he also randomly hopes on his dick

The supporting cast is fine but never got the development it needed

>Suits and fights
Only a handful are good and none of the main suits are, they may be the most bland main suits ever. 3v3 is what really kills the show though. Not only can they not pace the battles but more characters to develop and more suits means everything is a mess

>References
Build fighters had the perfect amount and used them well. Try barely even tried to use them
>>
It was fun, flawed fun, but fun nonetheless. /m/ exaggerates, as always.
>>
File: 56556566768.jpg (234 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
56556566768.jpg
234 KB, 1920x1080
>>12545156

/m/ was hoping for some kind of Renato-like MC that used tacticool Gundam X and Wing grunts.

Instead we got what everyone was fearing the most: a Gundam who's main attack was a knockoff of the fucking Build Knuckle.

Then there was also the harem antics and Yuuma being the most generic classes nerd character ever.
>>
File: 1345430620195.jpg (174 KB, 700x461) Image search: [Google]
1345430620195.jpg
174 KB, 700x461
>>12545214

Considering a good deal of people in /m/ have this obsession with MUH UNDERDOGS, MUH GRUNTS and MUH TACTICS when Sekai is basically the very anti-thesis of what /m/ wants. I would also attribute that to a clash of Western and Japanese culture and cliches.Also

>2015
>Still misuses the word tacticool
>>
>>12545188

It's bad, guy. Story's terrible, fights on average are mediocre, characters are one-dimensional and tired archetypes, and so on. Being blinded because it has Gundam in it is stupid.
>>
>>12545225
Not him, but what is 'tacticool' then?
>>
>>12545236

Tacticool was originally used to mock people for attaching excessive add-ons to guns when they do nothing or worse negatively affect the firearm's performance. Which is sort of like some of the Asian entries for Gunpla contests when they have all those excessive, if not downright gaudy add-ons and details.

As far as /m/ using tacticool to describle tactics, I'm not sure when did that start
>>
>>12545231
It's a shonen show for kids. You can't really begrudge for using tried and true archetypes, even if it makes the show bland as result. But then, you and I aren't the target audience anyway.
>>
>>12545214
>>12545231
I don't even get why it's so hard for people to make good martial arts robits and the choreography of kung fu mecha shows ranges from below average to terrible.

It's like everyone who wants to do /m/ stuff with fistfighting just writes a Toku.... Or magical girl.
>>
>>12545214
>>12545225
This. Try's become the punching bag everything /m/ hates, even though it's not done enough bad within its own context to deserve half the punishment its been receiving.
>>
>>12545297
*for everything
>>
The MCs (Sekai in particular) have more plot armor than Kira Yamato.

>(Sekai uses up all his energy and a wild Mega-Shiki appears)
> Mega-Shiki breaks it's arm on Build Burning's face)

> (Sekai is going up against more experienced opponents with equally strong Gunpla)
> (unlocks Pheonix Punch out of nowhere.)
> We're rivals now.

> (Sekai is losing against his sempai. Fumina and Yuuma won't interfere with the match)
> Unlock's Omnislash
> We can't move! Tryon 3's attack froze the plastic!
> (Super Robot Finishing move)
> (Star Winning reverted to SD form and blocked the attack with her funnels. Try Burning also blocked the attack for Yuuma. This is despite them not being able to move)
> (Yuuma proceeds to win the match)
>>
>>12545257

I'll start differentiating them from now on. I'm just gonna go with MUH TACTICS.
>>
>>12545297

>Try's become the punching bag for everything /m/ hates about Japanese writing and cultural cliches

FTFY

>>12545301

Mega-Shiki was in absolute shit condition at that point (virtual cockpit was red) after Yuuma basically self-destructed in front of him, do you honestly expect things not break when they are pushed to the limit? The other two I'll sort of give you but the "we're rivals now" is pretty much another one of those MUH FATE cliches Japanese people love
>>
>>12545301

> Mega-shiki

The Mega-Shiki had gone through a lot of punishment as well to be fair. Not even debating the other ones or the general point, because it's definitely a problem in the show, but I don't really count the Mega-Shiki personally because they had shown that both shows were on their last legs, so one breaking when it goes to punch isn't at all surprising.
>>
>>12545316
Well they need to learn some better cliches... or at least a way to show it without people actually saying "you're my rival now".
>>
>>12545297
It doesn't deserve any praise though. It is nearly everything /m/ hates but it is also a good example of why those things are bad
>>
>>12545301
I wouldn't put Sekai's plot armor on the same level as Kira. They come from very different shows with very different aims in the conflicts they portray. One tries to present itself as serious war story while the other is a super robot tournament show.

They both have legitimate flaws, certainly, but context is important in this case.
>>
>>12545340
/m/ hates everything.

What is more hated GBFTry or Zeta?
>>
>>12545301
Pretty much every complaint you listed can be applied to "random shonen anime no. 21".
>>
>>12545225
>>12545257
Calm down man. Semantics do change, we're just happily accepting the word.

>/m/ using tacticool to describe tactics
I don't think I've seen that. See pic related. It's tacticoolness is not because those Jesta looks like doing some close quarter combat but because the Jesta itself looks very "operator"
>>
File: 0ivm7Zz.png (545 KB, 1167x656) Image search: [Google]
0ivm7Zz.png
545 KB, 1167x656
Did everyone forget the fact it was G Gundam's 20th anniversary?
One would think that Bandai would probably try to promote this fact in their shows.
So that's what happened. With Reco being more UC style it would be hard fit it in there.

I'm gonna say it now with the fact they already have done the wing honoo (granted that's for the manga, but this is bamco) and it now being Wing's 20th:

that s3 will probably have wing influence as well. maybe they'll actually go back to the story and figure out what's up with reiji and aila, and fellini and kiraran have their own little heero.
>>
>>12545401

Fair enough regarding the semantics since that can evolve over time, but it seems that a lot of people (even in this thread) want MCs to be "tacticool" like the Renatos brothers. I would assume people want to see they use cool tactics to beat their enemy instead of "shoot / punch / slash harder"
>>
File: Energy_Absorption.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Energy_Absorption.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>12545458
PUNCH HARDER can be done right, but it kind of requires that the fights have more substance than just punching as well as the general requirement of making the plot and characters interesting.

Three-on-three format kind of NEEDED tactics, though. The way it was written makes the teams pointless since they show no teamwork except for SOMETIMES powering each other's attacks up. Making it three disjointed fights like they did ended up bloating the cast for no good reason, and every team only really had one character who had personality as it is.
>>
>>12545401

>>See this picture years ago
>>All that Jesta hype

>>Literally the most disappointing machine ever across seven OVAs. Fucking Juagg was more badass.
>>
>>12545264
>It's a shonen show for kids

This implies a show targeted at kids can't be good and should automatically be assumed to be terrible and cliche. GBF had the same problem, but it made up for it more than Try did.

Get out of that mindset because it isn't true. Unoriginal is unoriginal, tired is tired, bad is bad, and GBF Try doesn't get a pass.
>>
>>12545297
>, even though it's not done enough bad within its own context to deserve half the punishment its been receiving.

It reinvented the rules half way through the series to force Crossbone to run out of gas so the plot team could win.

It's done enough
>>
Should it have been 2v2?
>>
>>12545214
>/m/ was hoping for some kind of Renato-like MC that used tacticool Gundam X and Wing grunts.
I was hoping for something GOOD
>>
>>12545107
It actually got steadily better and then got much, much worse.

I genuinely would've preferred if it was entirely shit all the way through instead of having these tiny glimpses of hope that are crushed by Japanese flutes and Jegans.
>>
>>12546009
That was the most annoying shit

Before and after T/BB can throw out so much shit but standard shit kills others
>>
The rival teams were all shit.

All of the teams except Try Fighters, Build Busters and Celestial Sphere were one person who mattered plus two irrelevant hangers-on, and none of them were built up properly. GBF introduced Tatsuya, Fellini, Mao, Aila and Nils early on so the audience could become invested in them and they all had their own unique combat style, but GBFT's hype was all talk and the show went out of its way to avoid showing big-name rivals.

That kid Aila bitchslapped in season 1 became a world-class fighter? We're just going to tell people how good he is, keep him out of the tournament until the best eight (or whenever the fuck he showed up - I don't even remember) and have his first fight happen completely off screen!

Sekai's big brother figure turned evil? We're going to talk about him all the fucking time, but we're not going to actually show him doing anything! That way, when Sekai does meet him, it'll come out of fucking nowhere and nobody will really care!

The rival teams nearly all got the same level of treatment as the Renato brothers and Julian got in GBF, but they were the Meijin's opponents, so they didn't need to be built up nearly as much.
>>
>>12546727
Super Renato Bros actually had more buildup and characterization than most of the rival teams, though, being present in the background of all the prelims and having attention drawn to them. Plus gathering intel on SBS which made it seem like they were going to fight Seiji instead of Meijin. They didn't just pop up one episode before their fight.

Also they had the dog gimmick which set them apart way more than any of the Try teams, most of which don't even have a theme (and the ones that do are treated like total jokes).
>>
>>12546727
>keep him out of the tournament until the best eight (or whenever the fuck he showed up - I don't even remember) and have his first fight happen completely off screen!

but we had to spend that time wasting 4-5 episodes to set up a gag for the swim team to get BTFO
>>
>>12545264
G Gundam was targeted at kids and that show is amazing. Having kids as a target audience is not an excuse for having a terrible show.
>>
>>12546784
>Also they had the dog gimmick which set them apart way more than any of the Try teams

That thing was so cool
>>
The only good thing about GBF Try is Lalah with an Elmeth+Gelgoog bag on a beach.
>>
>>12545166
I agree with everything this guy said, but I'm also going to add that GBF handled Mobile Suits much better than GBFT.

GBF gave us a wide variety of suits used and some nicely customized favorites. A hero using Kampfer? Yes please. A villain using a GM, and the two get into a tactics battle? Sign me up. Wing Gundam Fenice? I'll take two.

While in GBFT, everything of any significance was a Gundam. And not only did that get old, but some of them were completely original or customized beyond recognition. Build Burning, Gundam The End, Denial Gundam, etc. That's not as cool to me as something like the Fenice, X Maoh, or Hell Zeong.
>>
>>12545301
this was fucking dumb and I hated it

> (Sekai is going up against more experienced opponents with equally strong Gunpla)
> (unlocks Pheonix Punch out of nowhere.)
> We're rivals now.
That was actually fine. The phoenix punch is pretty dumb though.

> (Sekai is losing against his sempai. Fumina and Yuuma won't interfere with the match)
> Unlock's Omnislash
> We can't move! Tryon 3's attack froze the plastic!
> (Super Robot Finishing move)
> (Star Winning reverted to SD form and blocked the attack with her funnels. Try Burning also blocked the attack for Yuuma. This is despite them not being able to move)
> (Yuuma proceeds to win the match)
In a better world, with a better anime, Tryon 3 would have won. This had zero right or reason to happen, the Try Fighters DID NOT deserve to win that match the way it was written.

>>12546799
man, I was so mad that the swim team just got fucked like that after that buildup
would have loved to see them make a miracle, would have been cool

>>12546804
this
like, G Gundam has a bunch of issues (as much as I love it), but none of them are really because it's a kids show
>>
File: 1416754879577.gif (852 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1416754879577.gif
852 KB, 480x270
>>12546799
I chuckled.
>>
>>12546799
Not to mention Team White Wolf. Despite being in the opening they were nothing more than cannon fodder.
>>
File: 546282.png (493 KB, 957x647) Image search: [Google]
546282.png
493 KB, 957x647
>>12547725
Should've had a Hygogg...
>>
>>12547500
GOD FORBID WE HAVE ANY ORIGINAL DESIGNS EVER. THE NERVE OF THEM TRYING TO SELL US NEW KITS.
>>
>>12546263
This is a complete misnomer. /m/ would've liked Sekai more if he actually used kenpo techniques, this is why the first fight with the Dom is better than most of Sekai's other fights. He actually did something other than spam his special moves. The Destiny fight would also be good, if it did not tarnish Allied Force as a BGM
>>
>>12547829
HiNu vrabe > anything Try Fighters
>>
File: 1395296658155.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1395296658155.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
>>12547829
>>
File: SDR Built by idiot.png (2 MB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
SDR Built by idiot.png
2 MB, 1280x1440
>>12545107
bunch of stuff, but i got the feeling this whole Try Fighters was just a "build up" for Season 3.
>>
>>12547870
It's a Hi-Nu. I don't care. I like The End and it's crazy face hand, I like the SDs that turn into a giant fucking dragon, I like the Tryon 3. I like the new and interesting stuff that is actually taking risks and trying to do something different and exciting, and not just boring ass recolors of kits and gunpla I've already seen. To me it's actually interesting.
>>
File: blitz screen.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
blitz screen.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Next season someone important needs to have a Blitz gundam
>>
>>12547897
That's what Greco and other new Gundam shows are for. GBF is supposed to be glorious fanwank.
>>
>>12547897
>recolors
>just a hinu
You clearly don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>12545107
G reco stole the animators and storyboard
>>
>>12547909
There already was a Blitz derivative (a dagger N ) that showed up in BF
>>
>>12547905
But that would require Bandai to make a new, more versatile, mold. And we all know they HATE doing that!
>>
>>12547915
Yeah l, its funny how G-self had an absorb shield
>>
>>12547909
No, Build Fighters is supposed to be "Hey be imaginative and make some Gunpla", which Try did. It was imaginative.
>>
File: 1426368415009.png (844 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1426368415009.png
844 KB, 960x720
>>12547417
>>
>>12545264

That's no fucking excuse. BF was the same thing and it managed to be fun for all. Try was just lazy. They knew it worked so they put minimal effort into it.

Exactly like I thought, because that's what happens. Something proves popular with kids, they promptly stop trying, because kids will eat up shit and love it because kids suck and are stupid little brats.

Fuck kids.
>>
>>12547951
Yeah, we upgrade Build Burning with MORE CLEAR PARTS and oh, a new backpack for Lightning, how original
>>
>>12547905

>Blitz Krieg
>shield on opposite arm, the suit is turned into a knight
>red beam saber
>Teutonic Knight helmet-styled custom head
>beam sabers in the heels of its feet
>Hitler Mode power boost effect
>>
>>12547500
So what you're saying is that you want minor customizations of existing suits over actual original designs?
>>
>>12547990
YES!!!!
>>
>>12547990
Yes, because completely original designs ruined it as a celebration of the fandom. Notice that the most liked designs are the Tryon 3, the ARW, and the crossbone
>>
>>12548012
>Tryon
Giant classic super robot reference that acts nothing like the original ZZ
>Crossbone
Already a highly liked suit before Try
>Red Warrior
Because Yuuki, that's it. If it was anyone elses it wouldn't be as popular.
>>
>>12548023
The fact is, the Tryon 3 is still a ZZ. Completely original suits ruin the meta because it completely disregards the Creativity aspect of gunpla. Do you realistically see an average 12 year old picking up on kitbashing or going crazy with combinations if the supposed strongest gunpla is OC character donut steal that only requires you to purchase the exact kit?
>>
>>12548042
>Completely original suits ruin the meta because it completely disregards the Creativity aspect of gunpla
.....Do you listen to yourself when you talk?
>>
>>12548073
So, can you realistically build something completely original without any reference from an existing design?
>>
>>12548098
I don't know. Do you have imagination?
>>
>>12548114
Answer my question first. Can an average 12 year old build something like the build burning in concept? The issue isn't within the show, it's the projection to the audience. The show says to be creative, but its most powerful gunpla is bought as one kit. It does not really promote creativity tbh.
>>
>>12548146

> It's most powerful gunpla is bought as one kit

This is true regardless of whether they go with completely original designs or modified kitbashes though? Not to mention that most 12 years will be fairly terrible and unable to kitbash anything approaching the level of the Star Build, which was a kitbash so extending it further doesn't really change anything.

I actually kind of agree with your point that the original's use of kitbashes was better purely from a fanwank perspective, though I do think a handful of completely custom kits from particularly skilled builders is fine as an idea but you're really going through hoops here to justify something that doesn't actually need further justification.
>>
G-reco fans.
>>
>>12548167
I'd agree. But I need them to realize that balance needs to be struck.
>>
>>12548187

No, you really don't. People having different opinions is fine, and isn't in and of itself cause for you to have to change them. If that opinion is harmful to others then perhaps there's justification, but someone preferring custom kits to modified ones in a maymay is in no way harmful. Just let him have his opinion, because you're not going to change it no matter how many words you write or hoops you jump through regardless.
>>
needed more of the cray cray
>>
>>12545107
Shit should have been G gundam with gunplas
>>
>>12545407
Well G got some toys for the anniversary. Wing hasn't gotten anything yet which is really strange.
>>
File: 1423050140621.jpg (324 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1423050140621.jpg
324 KB, 800x900
Every episode should've been as fun as the final episode's first half

>as soon as Sekai shows up in the finale
>mfw
>>
File: 1388771016423.jpg (74 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1388771016423.jpg
74 KB, 600x450
>tfw I have completely forgotten about this show and what happened in it because pretty much nothing happened in it
>>
>>12545257
>Which is sort of like some of the Asian entries for Gunpla contests when they have all those excessive, if not downright gaudy add-ons and details.
Like that Sinanju with the angel wings?
>>
>>12546214
It should've been 1v1.
Hell, maybe it shouldn't have been about the tournament at all.
>>
Next time they should just use cute shota characters and have their mamas appear every now and then, that is the best way to please everyone and none of that romcom shit is needed.
>>
File: gbwc_09.jpg (101 KB, 530x398) Image search: [Google]
gbwc_09.jpg
101 KB, 530x398
>>12549191
There's always this one.
>>
>>12545107
Nothing. I liked it.
>>
>>12545117
D-Dammit. That was embarrassing then.
>>
>>12549252
>that clusterfuck POS won first place
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.