[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did your parents grow up on anything Supa Robo /m/? I just found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: Voltes_V_Commercial_Banner.png (581 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Voltes_V_Commercial_Banner.png
581 KB, 640x480
Did your parents grow up on anything Supa Robo /m/?
I just found out my Mom was/is a huge Voltes V fangirl and grew up watching it religiously every Saturday morning.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J9n4-4AEu3U

My mom and uncle grew up loving Mazinger Z in El Salvador. Apparently they were too poor to have a TV so all the kids in the village crowded into the only house with a TV (black and white). If it was too crowded they watched from the window.
>>
>>12516808
>you will never gather with your fellow villagers to watch Mazinger
;_;
>>
>>12516820
We've moved form gathering around a fire to hear stories about our ancestors, to gathering around a TV to hear stories about fucking robots. We're doing good as a race I think.
>>
File: ibyWYpCcEvkCD3.jpg (95 KB, 1280x869) Image search: [Google]
ibyWYpCcEvkCD3.jpg
95 KB, 1280x869
>>12516820
>you will never gather with your fellow villagers to watch Mazinger
I...I didn't know I wanted this
Woe be to the man who realizes what he truly wants only when it's too late
>>
my father really liked Giant Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpg5oNwW1hQ
>>
>>12516605
My father and my uncle actually watched Johny Sokko and his Flying Robot and Mazinger
>>
>>12516605
Are you 12?
>>
The closest my dad gets is having watched Thunderbirds back in the 60s. Finland didn't really start getting giant robots until the 80s.
>>
She might have, I never thought to ask. She was a big trekkie and liked Sledge Hammer. My brother used to play STO and talk to her about what he did that day.
>>
My father had a Scopedog model from the mid-80s, but I think it was a model shop impulse buy.
I broke it. ;_;
>>
>>12516605
There were no mecha anime in Soviet Russia in the late 60s, early 70s.
>>
>>12516936
Well, there was Flying Ghost Ship in cinema iirc. And nothing more.
>>
>>12516605
Are you from the Philippines?
>>
>>12517071
Mother is a first generation immigrant to the US.
>>
My mom watched Grendizer
My dad is like 12 years older than my mom so he lacks on the animu front, but he was a big fan of Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet/Stingray
>>
My father watched Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go)
>>
My dad was/is a huge 8 man and speed racer fan.
>>
My dad loved Transformers and Speed Racer.

My grandmother (on my mom's side) is a huge Trekkie.
>>
>>12517437
I only ask because apparently Voltes V was super popular over there.
Every single Filipino I know has seen Voltes V.

>The Philippines got an English dub of Voltes V and NA didn't. (well, 3 episodes that never took ff really)
>>
Ultraman apparently. I didn't know the original Ultraman even aired in the U.S
>>
>>12517563
Ah, yeah I heard about that.
Makes sense since my mom was a kid when it was airing in the 70's.
>>
File: Super_Mighty_Robo_02.jpg (98 KB, 897x787) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mighty_Robo_02.jpg
98 KB, 897x787
>>12516605

My kids are too young to reply to this post, but I, their progenitor, am obviously a huge Supa Robo fan, and grew up watching all the cool shit their mom won't let them watch now.

Not that I blame her; I'm pretty sure seeing Mitsuyo Go kill herself to save the Voltes team wrecked me for years. YEARS. All my stateside cousins were bawling over Bambi's mom and I thought they were all soft fools.

Now I show them stuff like the OPs and such, and their only real frame of reference is that goofy Voltron spoof in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They think it's a real show.
>>
>>12518192
Didn't mecha teach you anything?
Hardship is what builds character, because the only thing you can do is give or stand up.

Anyway, I hope you introduce them to the more light hearted side of giant robot men.
At the end of the day everything from Mazinger to Gurren Lagann was made to appeal to kids.
>yelling your attacks
>runs on awesome
>toys where you can mimic the show
and less obvious stuff like the hero always appearing when the time is right. Good stuff.
>>
>>12518192
It's always cool seeing what people come up with to give shoutouts when they obviously can't for copyright reasons.
I see a bit of Grendizer in the head, the generic Nagai color scheming for all the body parts, and a fuckton of everything else with that bigass V.
>>
My mom watched Mazinger Z when they only had two TV channels in the 70s
>>
My dad watched Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets as a kid. He also went with me to see Pacific Rim, which he liked a lot.
My mom grew up on classic Star Trek stuff, and made it a point to see every Star Wars movie in theaters.
>>
My dad did grow up with the original Star Wars movies. He had the some of the Kenner action figures too. I know he watched Transformers and the 80's GI Joe cartoon.
>>
My dad is violently anti-Japanese, but even he has a soft spot for Mazinger Z and Astro Boy when growing up.
>>
Both my parents watched Grendizer, Great Mazinger and Daitarn 3, they introduced me to /m/ shows when i was 3, we also watched MM Power Rangers together when i was 5.
>>
For some weird reason my friends dad knows who Mazinger is. We're american, but he didnt even call him tranzor. So odd.
>>
File: act1stmazinga.jpg (118 KB, 498x455) Image search: [Google]
act1stmazinga.jpg
118 KB, 498x455
>>12522045
Shogun Warriors had Great Mazinger and called him Mazinga, so that's probably where he got the name.
>>
>>12521827
He wasn't even born during WWII or before it, so I dunno why your dad would hate the Japanese so much. Unless he's just a racist who hates everything that's not "American".
>>
File: im_sterile_.png (743 KB, 735x659) Image search: [Google]
im_sterile_.png
743 KB, 735x659
My parents never watched anything Japanese. The closest was my dad watching Godzilla movies with me as a kid... but other than that, my parents basically watched soap operas and got high all the time. Fucking sucks when they like the most boring cliched stuff imaginable. They also have zero interest in anything foreign.
>>
>>12516605
Dad loved Starblazers and Grendizer, watched them every time they aired.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.