[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Miyazaki do more sci-fi shit like this? It e
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: on-your-mark.jpg (102 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
on-your-mark.jpg
102 KB, 700x438
Why didn't Miyazaki do more sci-fi shit like this? It easily looks better and is more interesting than his other works.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1yx4sf_hayao-miyazaki-s-on-your-mark_music
>>
>>12506256

Cause he didn't want to and doesn't whether you or anyone else prefers that to his other works?
>>
>>12506273
Then he's a fucking hack.
>>
>>12506281
How is Miyazaki a "hack" for not writing what you want him to write? He doesn't answer to you, he makes what he likes to make and it seems pretty obviously lots and lots of people enjoy what he makes as well. World doesn't revolve around your tastes.
>>
>>12506310
And that's actually pretty commendable, instead of just giving in to what's most popular and profitable.
Porco Rosso best Ghibli movie.
>>
>>12506319
>instead of just giving in to what's most popular and profitable.

HAHAHA are you seriously trying to imply that Ghibli isn't mainstream, if not the MOST mainstream anime out there?

>>12506310
>How is Miyazaki a "hack" for not writing what you want him to write?

Because he panders to kids and families with little regard for actual narrative in his films. If you would actually read the Nausicaa manga, which is another one of his sci-fi works, you would know what he's capable of. Nothing he's made so far comes close to the depth of that manga.
>>
>>12506281

> He's doing what he wants instead of what I'm saying he should have done
> What a hack

I don't think you know what that word means given his artistic style and success.
>>
>>12506338

> a serialized manga tells a better story than a 90 minute one of film

Stop the presses!

Also, he made the same style of film before and after he became popular. People liked the style he wanted to go with, rather than him changing his style to adapt to what people liked. You don't like the guy's style. It's okay, no-one's asking you to.
>>
>>12506342
By your solid logic George Lucas isn't a hack either. Each prequel movie made more money than the entirety of Miyazaki's career, and he got to do exactly what he wanted while being surrounded by yes-men, that is PANDER to kids.

If all you want to do is be cocksucking kool-aid drinker with zero standards, fine with me.
>>
>>12506338
Watch out, we've got a live one.

Take notes kids, this is what we call a "hipster". While they're common around these parts, it's not often that we straight up get "mainstream = automatically bad, pander to me or you're shit" so blatantly stated.
>>
>>12506338
>HAHAHA are you seriously trying to imply that Ghibli isn't mainstream, if not the MOST mainstream anime out there?

Nothing in the post implied that, it simply stated it was commendable for him to do what he loves -- it just so happens it's also quite popular, which is good for him and shows why he doesn't need to care about what you in particular think about him.

>Because he panders to kids and families with little regard for actual narrative in his films. If you would actually read the Nausicaa manga, which is another one of his sci-fi works, you would know what he's capable of. Nothing he's made so far comes close to the depth of that manga.

This is what's known as an opinion, which people can differ on. Furthermore, the notion that he simply just panders to kid and families is unfounded; it's clear it's what Miyazaki likes to make. At any rate, you're asking that he make stuff that panders to you and people like you instead of doing what he likes to make -- how is that being any less of a "hack"?
>>
>>12506338
that sounded amazingly pretentious. Why would he want to pander instead to the sci-fi sub-group?

the guy wants to tell stories, he got to pick the ones he wanted to tell and did so.

I agree he can do great within the sci-fi scenario, but he doesn't have to. He has no obligation whatsoever to do so. Now, go and watch Mirai Shounen Conan and rejoice instead of complaining.
>>
>>12506349
>90 minute movies don't need proper characterization or natural plot flow!

If you enjoy that, I'm not stopping you.

>Also, he made the same style of film before and after he became popular.

You mean the ones that pander to kids? The only exception to this was Princess Mononoke, nothing he's made since then has even been comparable to it.
>>
>>12506352

Lucas isn't a hack for pandering, Lucas is a hack because he only made good films when surrounded by people who were willing to call him on his shit and became embroiled in his own ego once he had full control. I don't see evidence of that with Miyazaki.

Nor is there evidence that he pandered to kids, but do please continue. Watching your angry rants is amusing.
>>
>>12506354
actually, miyazaki has a fetish with the World Wars. Porco Rosso aside, Kaze Tachinu is the most miyazaki of the miyazaki films. A love letter to a WWII plane. Heck, I'm sure you can keep finding WW references on everything he worked on.

that being said, >>12506338 is the actual hack of this thread.
>>
>>12506364

I've never even seen Nausicaa to know whether I enjoy it, just pointing out that a serial format like a manga allows for a lot more to be done than a once off movie does.

Also, making films that kids like isn't inherently pandering because many adults enjoy those kinds of films as well.
>>
>>12506319
Yeah, it was cool. He should do self-indulgent things about pig stand-ins for himself befriending underage girls with planes.
>>
>>12506310
>he makes what he likes
Thanks God, it's not like that. Also you heard the news? he retired.
>>
>>12506354
>Furthermore, the notion that he simply just panders to kid and families is unfounded

A google search tells me otherwise.

>But apart from Porco Rosso, all my films have been made primarily for children. There are many other people who are capable of making films for adults, so I'll leave that up to them and concentrate on the children.

>I am a pessimist. But when I'm making a film, I don't want to transfer my pessimism onto children. I keep it at bay. I don't believe that adults should impose their vision of the world on children, children are very much capable of forming their own visions. There's no need to force our own visions onto them.

>you're asking that he make stuff that panders to you and people like you instead of doing what he likes to make -- how is that being any less of a "hack"?

He's not making these movies for himself, in case you didn't notice. They're hollow and superficial, because they're meant for kids to understand. They don't convey his feelings in the slightest other than 3 or so works. If that isn't being a hack, then go worship Lucas already.

>>12506358
See above.

>>12506368
>Lucas is a hack because he only made good films when surrounded by people who were willing to call him on his shit and became embroiled in his own ego once he had full control. I don't see evidence of that with Miyazaki.

Miyazaki does the same shit as Lucas, only difference is that he didn't have a 30-year-old movie legacy to live up to nor as rabid of a fanbase. No doubt, he makes better movies than Lucas. But it doesn't make him any different from him as a person.
>>
>>12506371
>that being said, >>12506338 (You) is the actual hack of this thread.

>Anonymous
>Being a hack

Looks like summer has finally started.

>>12506374
>just pointing out that a serial format like a manga allows for a lot more to be done than a once off movie does.

I'm not denying that, but I can say that the Nausicaa movie was terrible in every way except for the visuals.

>Also, making films that kids like isn't inherently pandering because many adults enjoy those kinds of films as well.

That doesn't change his original intention.
>>
File: 1369361747197.png (212 KB, 481x508) Image search: [Google]
1369361747197.png
212 KB, 481x508
>>12506426
>you'll never be a crazy pig general who commands a large cool ass tank and dates a little Nausicaa wearing a pretty dress
>>
>>12506459
how can you know his original intentions? do you have a miyazaki quote or some sort of expert analysis? the same way you diss arguments and proof being placed here, (such as The Wind Rises not being a kids film argument you have not touched at all, or that he has no obligation to fill any quotas of any kind to please any fans -such as sci-fi fans-) anyone else here can diss your sayings on the grounds of them being opinons and therefore personal, for all anyone could care, they have the same weight for the -already retired- Miyazaki as a feather.
>>
>>12506455
>it's for kids, so it's dumbed down garbage
I thought these kind of people were shooed away from /m/ ages ago.
>>
>>12506491
>how can you know his original intentions? do you have a miyazaki quote or some sort of expert analysis?

There are literally two entire quotes from him in the reply above that one, in case you're too illiterate to see it. Even then, you have to be living under a rock to not know Miyazaki's opinions on people and society and anime by now. HINT: It's not from his movies.

>The Wind Rises not being a kids film argument you have not touched at all

Suzuki forced him to do that, originally he was going to make Ponyo 2. I'm not going to spoonfeed you, find the damn source yourself if you know how to google.

>or that he has no obligation to fill any quotas of any kind to please any fans -such as sci-fi fans-

No one has any obligation to please any fans. But Miyazaki LIKES pleasing children. Same way Lucas or Pixar or many others do. But as a result of that, there is no meaning behind most of his works.
>>
File: chopinthe3rd.jpg (54 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
chopinthe3rd.jpg
54 KB, 400x400
>>12506501
they tend to re-appear everynow and then. they like to think they actually go DEEPer.

Now, childish as it is, I'll go watch castle of Cagliostro yet once again, and yet once again, enjoy it.
>>
>>12506501
Are you seriously trying to imply that Miyazaki's movies have any kind of hidden depth to them save for a couple?
>>
>>12506518
>But as a result of that, there is no meaning behind most of his works.

To add to that, no diversity either.
>>
>>12506518
you don't like miyazaki films? don't watch them, heck, /m/ barelly has miyazaki threads anyway to see the few ones that appear to be useless fights.
>>
File: deepfag.jpg (93 KB, 757x415) Image search: [Google]
deepfag.jpg
93 KB, 757x415
>>12506525
Are you seriously trying to imply something needs to have hidden depths to be good?
>>
>>12506530
>don't watch them

Too late, already seen all of them. I love his artstyle and Joe Hisaishi's music. But every time I watch something of his I can't help but be disappointed that there was nothing more to it than the physical aspects and the same tropes repeated over and over again. That short in the OP is so different from his other stuff, and I love it because of that.
>>
>>12506538
If you're going to make movies about environmentalism and war and pussyfoot about it with black-and-white stereotypes and broad generalizations, then having more depth would actually be a good thing.
>>
>>12506547
well, its good to be you, because Miyazaki is not going to be doing anything shallow or superficial, in the short OR long period! he retired!
>>
>>12506558
>he retired!

That's fine with me, he went from "pretty decent" to "absolute garbage" tier after Spirited Away. He might as well retire before he shits on himself any further.
>>
>>12506518
>Even then, you have to be living under a rock to not know Miyazaki's opinions on people and society and anime by now.
Maybe he's Russian. Miyazaki is the most hated person on Russian bards (they know only about him and Anno, Anno is a God) and 99% of them know nothing about any director or stuff behind the scenes.
>>
>>12506455
>They don't convey his feelings in the slightest other than 3 or so works.

Actually, he does put a lot of messages into his movies, particularly about nature and war. The problem is that he doesn't expand upon it enough in any of his movies, which makes it feel superficial.

I wouldn't call him a hack, but he is a massive hypocrite.
>>
>Something made for children
>HURRR DURRRR pandering children
Use the English words properly.
>>
File: gotf.jpg (210 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gotf.jpg
210 KB, 1280x720
>>12506651
Are you suggesting that Miyazaki's movies don't gratify or indulge children? That's what "pandering" means, in case your English is rusty.

If you want someone who makes movies for children but doesn't pander to them, look at his often-ignored pal Takahata.
>>
>>12506667
They use "pandering" as something bad. It's beyond retarded.
>>
>>12506691
In most cases, pandering is pretty bad. It's why most anime is shit nowadays, it panders to Otaku fetishes and nothing more.

Miyazaki's movies have more wide appeal than most other anime, but that isn't exactly hard to do nowadays when your studio is #1 in Japan and has Disney promoting you.
>>
>>12506700
>In most cases, pandering is pretty bad.
But we're talking about anime that was made for kids there. It's like complaining that fire is hot.
>>
>>12506700
>has Disney promoting you.

Nah, it's just John Lasseter. None of the bigwigs at Disney give a fuck about Miyazaki since he won't give them merchandising rights, hell they sabotaged Princess Mononoke from getting a proper wide release.
>>
>>12506717
>hell they sabotaged Princess Mononoke from getting a proper wide release.
back then even the limited release it had was a big fucking deal
>>
>>12506730
No, Miyazaki's name in the US wasn't known by most people until Spirited Away, which is probably the only movie of his that Disney did a good job marketing.
>>
>>12506738
yeah, after they tried a limited release of him with success (the print of Kiki that circulated, Kiki home video release, then Mononoke's art house run and home release) they increased the amount they invested in the US market

it's funny how businesses like to make sure they'll make money instead of just throwing shit out there without testing the waters sometimes
>>
>>12506554
Whoa ude no need to be so harsh on Avatar a movie that clearly doesn't pander to children
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.