[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Ballad of Char Aznable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: CharZaku3x.jpg (11 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
CharZaku3x.jpg
11 KB, 261x193
Let us recount the tale of how a scientist/Engineer team drigged a Zaku that was Three Times faster, and how Char came along, painted it red, and took the credit for being 3x faster.
>>
Top Kek
>>
>>12492285
Is there anything in this story that will worth its length?
>>
>>12492304
Trouble reading short lengths of words?
>>
>>12492304
Well its about Char Aznable... so I guess not.
>>
>yfw engineers make a Zaku three times faster
>yfw Char wastes it and gets his ass beaten by a kid
>yfw Zeon's generals have to deal with a loser dressed like a clown on their ships
>>
But it's a science fact red things go faster.
>>
>>12492405
Did his zaku II ever even get wrecked? I don't particularly recall him ever getting it seriously damaged and I don't think we ever see it again after garma dies.
>>
Char couldn't even beat Amuro with a Gelgoog. Which is equal to the Gundam.
>>
>>12492459
Hardware wise, the Gundam still had the learning computer that made up protocols, macros, movement, actions and maybe even strategies on the fly, as opposed to it having to be coded in through a lengthy process.
>>
>>12492427
No. Amuro never even managed to hit it ever. Char was 2fast4him.
>>
>>12492476
Lalah, pls.
>>
>>12492427
Actually, after Garma's death, Char was court marshaled and dishonorably discharged from the Army of the Archduchy of Zeon; mainly due to the repeated threats of discharge (for losing Zaku II's and failing to destroy the Gundam) that Dozle had issued up to that point culminating in Dozle being pissed off at Char's inability to keep Garma off the front lines.

I mean, good god damn, how hard is it? Just lock him in a room full of mirrors, and toss Icelenia in there every few days with a beer and a sammich.

So, there went the Uniform and the MS-06 Zaku II Char Aznable Custom, probably assigned to someone else on the California (Seattle) Base.

Anyway, after that, Char made his way to Rio De Janeiro to get smashed on cheap hooch and local whores. After spelunking a few caves, he wanders back into town in time to watch Gihren turn his brother's funeral into a Space Nazi Pep Rally before one of Zeon's 00-type spies puts a gun to his head and drags him off to see Kycillia Zabi, who's just outside of town in a base that's randomly shelling Jaburo for shits and giggles.

Anyway, She threatens him, he snarks back at her, yada yada, Char ends up reinstated in the AAoZ under Kycillia's New Type Corps in exchange for showing them how to get inside Jaburo. At this point they reissue him the red uniform and a Z'Gok, which Char promptly paints red.

And it would have worked too, if not for those pesky kids and their stupid toy robot!

After that, Char spends a bit of time pestering a submarine Captain before being summoned to Granada by Kycilla to help test the Elmeth and the Gelgoog.
>>
>>12492511
>After spelunking a few elementary school "playgrounds,"
Fix'd that for you.
>>
>>12492511
>She threatens him, he snarks back at her, yada yada, Char ends up reinstated in the AAoZ under Kycillia's New Type Corps in exchange for showing them how to get inside Jaburo.
You know what? This part was never clear in the anime, Char just disappears during Ral's arc and then he pops up again with little explanation of what happened to him.
>>
>>12492516
heh heh.... thats a good one.
>>
>>12492511
>>12492545
Is their any manga that shows the discharge/missing arc?
>>
>>12492577 >>12492545
In MSG episode 12, Kycillia asked what was done with Char, Dozle looks extremely uncomfortable, and Gihren states he believed 'he went back home'.

In Gundam: The Origin, the entire interrogation between Char and Kycilla is played out. It's rather interesting.
>>
>>12492545
That's because Char had other duties to perform. While the White Base was on Earth, Char was off doing other stuff. I think the assumption is that Char was trying to ascertain the location of Jaburo, or something like that. That's why he suddenly reappears talking about "MA DANGLERS" and whatnot.
>>
>>12492589
>>12492590

Yeah, I remember episode 12, but I don't really remember him joining Kycilia or saying anything about Jaburo and stuff before Miharu's episodes.
I guess that is one of the many "fixes" of The Origin, while it is nice and makes sense, it still feels like Yas went over the plot and decided to make it look less "wrong".

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the Newtype bullshit was a last minute asspull. You know, showing Char joining Kycilia's Newtype Corps would at least foreshadow the whole thing, give more sense to the whole subplot, but you never heard of anything before episode 37/38 and from then on EVERYBODY on Zeon seems to have always known about Newtypes.
>>
>>12492545

One can only assume that after Garma's funeral, the royal guard captured Char and brought him to Kycillia/Dozle/Gihren for a martial court regarding his involvement in Garma's death. Perhaps Char was able to evade any capital punishment for his failure and because of past merits or whatever, was put in the earth branch of the Zeon's forces for being an asshole.
>>
>>12492610

>I feel like the Newtype bullshit was a last minute asspull

Remember when Matilda told Amuro he was some kind of psychic? By that point many characters have already say something similar about Amuro and his piloting skills. And moreso, when Amuro and crew finally reached Jaburo, his medical tests were the longest, they were checking his brain waves. One can only assume that the Feddies were already suspecting Amuro was a Newtype.
>>
>>12492545
>This part was never clear in the anime

its in the origin manga
>>
>>12492610
Well, the reason why Ramba Ral takes center stage is because he was ordered to take on White Base to get revenge for Garma's death.

In Gihren's Greed there's a "Char is disciplined" route, where you accept Dozle's request to have him punished (and he becomes unavailable for a while), so even in GG he just gets disciplined for it. Kycilia Zabi is his benefactor at this point in the series, which becomes more apparent when he shows up under her command.

So it's possible that he was intended to have been being disciplined (probably in a cell for a while or something like that) up until the Mad Angler squad was formed. It's also possible that he was with Kycilia being tested for her Newtype corps. Or perhaps they thought Char was being disciplined, but Kycilia had actually taken him. This shortly before the concept of Newtypes was starting to be teased, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
>>
>>12492640

in the movie trilogy by operation odessa it was already assumed that white base was a newtype unit
>>
>>12492545
I thought he was just reassigned to Belfast after Garma died. It seemed like the Zabis wanted to properly punish him but couldn't prove that he was responsible for Garma's death and he was still a valuable pilot, so they stationed him somewhere with no nearby Zabis as a way to keep him working. The reason he was shown drinking in a bar was a clever foreshadowing to him being in Ireland.
>>
>>12492640
I remember those scene, but allow me to say that it is very little foreshadow for a major theme like Newtypes.
And Matilda comments only about Amuro's piloting skills, but we know being a Newtype doesn't just let you improve your piloting skills, yet Amuro is still half autistic and there is no hint in how he behaves or interacts with people.

>>12492650
Well, my point was that it is unclear, so you are right, there are a lot of possible explanation about what happened, but just watching the anime you see Char popping up again, leading a new squad like nothing happened to him.
It is not big deal (or I guess Tomino just didn't care about it), but thinking about it in today standards it feels like something is wrong with the writing of that development.
>>
>>12492656

Char was held responsible by Dozle and was discharged from the service

we can assume that during all that time while serving under Kycilia Char had comman of the Mad Angler and conducting operations in the Atlantic
>>
File: 1402435631294.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1402435631294.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>12492577
Finally found it. Unfortunately, they reordered the content in the Vertical MGS: The Origin release, so going through Viz's and Comic Walker's stuff is a pain in the ass.

Garma's State Funeral, Dozle admitting to Kcyliia he discharged Char:
http://www.mangareader.net/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin/16/46

Char being arrested in a bar by an agent of the Zabi Royal Guard:
http://www.mangareader.net/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin/17/42

Kycilla arriving as Cascas Base, and interrogating Char:
http://www.mangareader.net/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin/18
>>
>>12492667
>That's very little foreshadow for a major theme.
It wasn't even that major of a theme. In the grand scheme of things MSG barely touches upon the concept of Newtypes. They're just starting to realize this new phenomenon and capitalize on it. It has a large place in MSG, but it's still secondary to the war and the rivalry between Char and Amuro. A Baoa Qu and the Newtype stuff that MSG ends on is more like a preview of what's to come.

>>12492667
Maybe the writers just thought that Char should go on the backburner for a while so that they could introduce more Zeon characters and shit? Maybe they really had intended for Char to be disciplined during this time for causing Garma's death? Hell, it's even possible that Char's VA wasn't available at the time or something to that effect. I mean, we all know why Sayla disappears after MSG.

The only definitive answer that seems to exist comes from The Origin, which is really a non-answer. We don't really know that that's the official interpretation of events, but it's certainly a very likely one.
>>
>>12492676
>Dozle admitting to Kcyliia he discharged Char
>"He should be discharged"
This means he wasn't.
>>
>>12492693
>I mean, we all know why Sayla disappears after MSG.

I don't. Could some kind anon shed some light for me on that matter?
>>
>>12492713
Because her VA got into a buddhist cult and went to India.
>>
>>12492713
The VA went to Africa for a bit, so she (and Sayla) were unavailable. They don't/didn't like to replace voice actors, so she just doesn't show up and gets written off as going to become a doctor.
>>
>>12492702
In the Vertical version of the translation, Dozle states 'I had him booted out'.
In my copy, the interrogation with Kycilla is also worded differently.
The Viz translation is extremely different than the Vertical one.

>>12492713
Her VA was taking a sabbatical (Long ass trip for navel gazing and 'self discovery') in the Africa at the time ZZ was being produced.
Japan being Japan, they cut Sayla Mass out of the show rather than find a different voice actor. There's a cultural reason for it that I've never had explained very well, something about switching actors being bad luck or some such. They'll only do it when the actor flat out refuses the role or dies.
>>
>>12492725
>>12492724
>>12492721

I see, thanks!
>>
>>12492713
Seiyu went on vacation and has since died.

>>12492713
>>12492724
>>12492725
She was available for part of Zeta I thought and the very end of ZZ.

>>12492676
>>12492725
>In the Vertical version of the translation, Dozle states 'I had him booted out'.
>In my copy, the interrogation with Kycilla is also worded differently.
>The Viz translation is extremely different than the Vertical one.
Interesting.

Him getting arrested and interrogated in South America would sorta make more sense if he wasn't truly discharged since he'd be a deserter.

I do like the "Worked with the native tribes" angle for the discovery of the Jaburo entrances along with the depiction of the Zeon Siege line, plus the order of Jaburo before Odessa is shaping up to be a really interesting change to the story.

I even managed to not hate the guncannon being an outdated mass-production hunk of junk (Instead of a limited-production over-engineered hunk of junk) despite thinking I would despise it.

Also Zaku anti-infantry commandos and the Gundam Shoulder cannon are so fucking cool.
>>
>>12492511
>And it would have worked too, if not for those pesky kids and their stupid toy robot!
>After that, Char spends a bit of time pestering a submarine Captain before being summoned to Granada by Kycilla to help test the Elmeth and the Gelgoog.
Huh, did origin get that far? I thought they stopped with Char going back to visit the natives.

Also the strange implication that the Z'Gok would totally replace the Zaku and possibly the Gouf.
>>
「いや、それよりもシャアの処分だ。ガルマを守りきれなかった奴を処分すれば、それで国民への示しがつくわ」

Dozle says they ought to punish Char, not that he already has.
>>
>>12492842
Thank you based translator.
>>
Viz had their own style for their translations, sorta like Streamline.
>>
>>12492842
We need you >>12491074 ;_;
>>
>>12492427
in the Anime no, in Origin yes
>>
File: shot1564.jpg (110 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
shot1564.jpg
110 KB, 960x720
>>12492285
>The Ballad of Char Aznable
It's all right to throw everything away now
All alone, I'm left as a corpse
In this battlezone
I writhe in agony within the flames of hell
Char!
Char!
The beam shines
In the flashback, I see his shadow
Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!
I won't die alone! I call him again and again
Taking aim, Char is the target
Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!
>>
>>12492773
>I even managed to not hate the guncannon being an outdated mass-production hunk of junk (Instead of a limited-production over-engineered hunk of junk) despite thinking I would despise it.

read the flashback chapters. Like a dozen fresh off of development guncannons get blown apart by four prototype zaku I's without even managing to damage a single one of them.We'll probably be seing this either at the end of OVA 3 or in OVA 4 depending on how they pace it. It's guntank that continues to kick ass despite being horrendously outdated. Really guncannon isn't that much older than the gundam, as Tem puts it in the Vertical translation, AE's meddling fucked it over during development, and he used this in order to get full control over the gundam project free of them.
>>
>>12492925
Where can I find the flashback chapters?

I feel like I will be angry because I really like the Guncannon, (And the Origin GM Cannon idea looks tubo dumb.)

But having the Guncannon be part of political drama sounds awesome.
>>
>>12492925
>>12492985
Also are their fan translations of the stuff that hasn't had an official US release yet?
>>
>>12492925
Gentle reminder that in Origin Kai pilots and kicks ass in a Guncannon all the way until the end of the war. A mobile suit that was obsolete before the war even began. Thus once again proving that Kai Shiden is awesome.
>>
File: A new world that bravely shines.png (218 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
A new world that bravely shines.png
218 KB, 480x360
>Char is fighting for our prayers!
>>
>>12493127
Kai pilot a Zaku II with a guncannon head too, and it looks funny.
>>
>>12493310
I'd rather a Guncannon with a Zaku 1 head!
>>
>>12493321
Both would look damn cute.
>>
I like to think that Zaku's 3x faster were always available, it's just that post pilots aren't capable of handling them. Think race cars, for example; only special individuals are able to handle fast cars in races, or even in general.
>>
>>12493408
So.. full grown trained soldiers cant handle mobile suits of that level of performance, but a kid who just starts piloting can?
>>
>>12493517
Welcome to mecha.
>>
>>12493517
not every human is created equal. obviously amuro had a gift, while zeon pilots were cursed with stormtrooper syndrome. same logic applies with how some people are just naturally gifted at sports, more so than some people who've trained more extensively.

>>12493531
also this.
>>
>>12493517
>but a kid who just starts piloting can?
Yes. Welcome to the world of /m/, enjoy your stay!
>>
>>12493127
>And kicks ass in a guncannon

He gets his shit pushed in pretty much every fight pre-jaburo to the point where his guncannon was pretty much completely totaled and they shoved the head and beam rifle onto a captured zaku II.
>>
So... every single soldier of Zeons army that wasnt the likes of like Char, Ral, Norris, BTS, etc are so terrible they cant handle a 3x zaku?

... So who piloted the MP Doms and Gelgoogs?
>>
>>12492985
>>12493018

Fan translations stop around the time they arrive at Jaburo and the Vertical release has long passed it. Operation Odessa just happened last volume I got and Amuro just saved Revil's ass from getting nuked by a secret Zeon bomber because M'quve decided he didn't give a rats ass about the treaty.
>>
>>12493543
So... every single soldier of Zeons army that wasnt the likes of like Char, Ral, Norris, BTS, etc are so terrible they cant handle a 3x zaku?

... So who piloted the MP Doms and Gelgoogs?
>>
>>12493568
Huh, I can only find the Viz one up through the end of 18, my google-fu is weak (Or the Vertical ones are just so nice people don't tear em up)
>>
>>12493577
I always took it to be that those later suits were better equipped to handle those speeds (Better control systems, more maneuvering verniers, better safety systems, etc) while the zaku was difficult and dangerous to control at higher speeds, and Char just happened to be good at it.
>>
>>12493595
but it was thought they always had the availability of 3x zakus... so why wouldnt the technology for that be there? Did Zeon R&D something they couldnt even use?
>>
>>12493593
The Vertical ones are extremely nice and worth picking up. They aren't that expensive for hardbacks either. My only complaints are that the first couple volumes have some odd translations (Which Vertical took notice of and improved the translations in later volumes) and that the text box on the cover is ugly.

Otherwise they are great. Watercolor pages at the start of each chapter, plenty of bonus material like interviews, guest comics, and the like, and the whole thing is printed on good quality paper rather than that shitty newsprint crap normal manga uses.
>>
>>12493612
Gahhh but my pirate's prideeee.

Ah well I'll buy them next month
>>
>>12492648
The Origin /= anime canon

It's its own continuity.
>>
>>12493612
Are the flashback stories in the Vertical imprint?

I really want to see them.

>>12493605
>Did Zeon R&D something they couldnt even use?
First: It's Zeon, you can bet your ass they did.
Second: This actually DOES happen in real life when certain parts of tech advance faster than others.
>>
>>12492610
Don't forget that the show was cut short by like 15 episodes. I'd imagine those episodes would of focused on the whole Newtype shit that was introduced.
>>
>>12493639
Well considering it's just a translation of the Origin series and that's a part of it, yes. The flashbacks cover like 3 volumes and at the rate the OVA is going I expect it to be like 5 OVA long, maybe 6 if they pad it out.
>>
>>12493568
And then, when that plan failed, he just give a enormous "FUCK THIS SHIT" and go swim with his Gyan, exploding some ships..................I really gonna miss his trap plan and duel in Texas colony.
>>
>>12493661
Well I don't know what issue the flashbacks appear in.
>>
>>12493663
The bomber pilots freaking out as they realize just what it is they're carrying and that they just got sent on a suicide mission was great.
>>
>>12493669
Flashbacks happen right after the attack on Jaburo which is volume 5 of the vertical release. They end with the whitebase setting out again and the EF's counter offensive starting.
>>
>>12493692
Man they've done a real good job of keeping this shit off the internet, nothing past vol3 on Nyaa, and nothing on kickass or tpb.
>>
>>12493708
attribute it to the fact that this all came out in japan ears ago, and that since most pirated manga is translated from asian raws and them not caring about an English release, no one is scanning and uploading it.
>>
>>12493718
Yeah, but the Scanlations are not up either.
>>
>>12494581
A lot of older scans got lost when mega upload got taken down. It's the reason it's hard to find the original astray scans.
>>
>>12493556

Uhm... he managed to hold his ground against Ramba Ral's soldiers and at Odessa Day.
>>
File: A4xZ1qz4rgp.jpg (56 KB, 472x300) Image search: [Google]
A4xZ1qz4rgp.jpg
56 KB, 472x300
>>12492891
>>12492285
Char! Char!
I will forget all the bad things that have happened to me
I will survive while I suffer on this battlefield
I’ll never turn back and I won’t surrender
And I'll never wanna go to hell

Char! Char!

Beam of lightning flashes back for me to see
The Shadow of his soul

Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!

I never cared for seeing their blood
I kept my blade wiped clean
He’s got his sights set tightly on me
He’s got his target locked in

Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!

I throw away all the memories of my life before now
Left here alone to fight forever on this battlefield
And no one will save me
From all the pain of the flames
When I’m burning in hell

Char! Char!

Beam of lightning flashes back for me to see
The shadow of his soul

Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!

Don’t wanna die without him dying,
Let him be with me by my side
I set my sights so tightly on him
I’ve got my target locked in

Char! Char! Char!
Char! Char! Char!

Here comes a sparkling beam
Splitting through the clouds
And I find that my life goes on
>>
>>12493517
>>12493534
That time undefeated Olympic champion, Aleksandr Karelin, was defeated for the first time in 15 years by an Wyoming dairy farmer.
>>
>>12495338
Heard this in Andrew's voice, 10/10.
>>
I find it really strange how the Viz...? Translation says that LA's mayor was going to be POTUS as if POTUS still head a meaning under the Federation let alone Zeon occupation
>>
File: gundam boner.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
gundam boner.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>12495338
That image is so gay, I can't even.

Stupid boner.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.