[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about transformative designs in Gundam? Because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: RX-78GP00 BLOSSOM.jpg (568 KB, 767x1024) Image search: [Google]
RX-78GP00 BLOSSOM.jpg
568 KB, 767x1024
Can we talk about transformative designs in Gundam?

Because they're all awful. Why can't Gundam do transformatives well?
>>
Some of them are good. Like Zeta and all of its direct descendants, Messala, Asshimar...

There's obviously a lot more bad ones than good like holy shit the fucking Epyon. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that making toys and models transform wasn't easy for the toy companies to do with Gundam designs. Zeta didn't get a properly proportioned fully transforming model or toy until years after Zeta aired.
>>
File: Pop_24_H.png (1 MB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
Pop_24_H.png
1 MB, 1024x687
>Muh Gun-Nose
>>
>>12472383
Zeta, Taurus, and the Wing gundams were good, (But not Epyon)
>>
The only one that doesn't suck is Asshimar.
>>
>>12472383
It's an inherently flawed concept. Not even Transformers look good when transformed. They're still just robots folded into something that vaguely resembles a vehicle.

There are very few exceptions but they usually only look good with the help of CG and other animation shortcuts that don't require you to design a transformable robot
>>
Gaplant is one of my favorite transforming units

I like the ReGZ a lot but it only sort of counts

Zeta Plus C1 has my favorite transformed mode in the Zeta lineage.

Asshimar is pretty great as well
>>
>>12472691
Depends on the robot in question. Going by your Transformers example, a lot of the 1984 originals have been around long enough that we have toys of them that look great in both modes. The original Valkyrie is pretty good at it too.
>>
>>12472383

ITT: opinions

The OP pic looks like a great video gamey space fighter.

If your standard of "good transformation" is looking just like a real plane, then no Gundam isn't going to have that. And I really don't want everything to look like Macross.
>>
>>12472383
>Cries about transforming gundams
>Posts a Gundam that doesn't transform.
>>
>>12472874

>RX-78P00
>Not transformable

Hmm? Granted it requires a compounded capability to be transformable, but transformable it still is. It's just that it's leaving behinb parts of itself when it goes Fighter.
>>
File: ORX-005EX Sturm Jaeger.jpg (160 KB, 1208x802) Image search: [Google]
ORX-005EX Sturm Jaeger.jpg
160 KB, 1208x802
Sturm Jaeger is a fucking beaut, I don't care what any of you motherfuckers say.
>>
>>12472966
>Hmm? Granted it requires a compounded capability to be transformable, but transformable it still is. It's just that it's leaving behinb parts of itself when it goes Fighter.

I have to agree, in that I wouldn't call the GP00 transformable -- just as I wouldn't call the RX78 transformable.

But that's really beside the point. The whole issue of transformable mobile suits is not affected by the odd choice of OP's pic.
>>
>>12472691
>It's an inherently flawed concept.
All of the Valkyries pull it off pretty well. It's just that nobody does transforming designs as well as Kawamori.
>>
>>12472383

Because they are robots folded up to look like jets whereas say, variable fighters are jets made to turn into robots
>>
Why was Zeta so heavy on the transformable MS? Is it just a gimmick they decided to go with at the time?
>>
I always liked the transformations, they're clearly Mobile Suits with aerodynamics and plane modes as an after thought. For the most part the MA Modes are for getting to and from more efficiently
>>
>>12472383
It is because one of the two end targets for the transformation must be a Gundam/Mobile Suit and this must be the primary form. This causes the other form to be a folded up Mobile suit leaving very noticeable kibble in the form of stuff like legs and arms.
>>
File: ORX-005.jpg (499 KB, 1024x657) Image search: [Google]
ORX-005.jpg
499 KB, 1024x657
>>12472383
There's bad ones, sure, but there's plenty of good ones.

Usually the ones that don't look like a Gundam Protagonist would ever share a hangar with.
>>
>>12473030
I think that's what it was. Was it Macross that first made non-gattai transforming mecha popular? Because if it was it would make a lot of sense.
>SDF Macross
>1982
>Zeta Gundam
>1985
>>
File: 17-monsha.jpg (13 KB, 301x227) Image search: [Google]
17-monsha.jpg
13 KB, 301x227
>>12472869
>And I really don't want everything to look like Macross.

No but OP does.
>>
>Why can't Gundam do transformatives well?
Because not Kawamori.

And they are constantly trying to turn a robot into a plane, instead of going the other way, which is why their MA modes tend to look like planes with legs sticking out.
>>
File: 1411319506241.jpg (636 KB, 2000x1191) Image search: [Google]
1411319506241.jpg
636 KB, 2000x1191
>>12472869
Not saying it has to look like a real plane but I don't want it to look like a robot lying down with wings folded out.
>>
>>12473172
The Diaclone line existed before SDF Macross was released and it seems that the first transforming members of the line were originally released in March of 1982.
>>
>>12472383
Are there any scans for phantom bullets, where the blossom is from?
>>
>>12472966
By that logic the RX-78-2 is transformable.
>>
>>12473005
The OP's choice of pic is important as an example.
>>
>>12472383
fuck off
>>
>>12473529
>getting buttmad gundam can't into aerodynamics
>>
>>12472966
The GP00 isn't transformobile, it has an escape pod that is shaped like a plane.
>>
>>12473254
You're either asking for COMPLETELY illogical transformations or everything looking like a Valkyrie.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.