[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real Robot Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: UiEte.jpg (68 KB, 1000x661) Image search: [Google]
UiEte.jpg
68 KB, 1000x661
I'm relatively new to mecha and I'm look for some good real robot series to watch. Not really interested in super robot stuff, so the more "realistic" the better.
>>
Real robots are almost nonexistent.
>>
I think the term you are looking for is Heroic and Military
>>
Well then you are pretty much shit out of luck.

The whole fucking concept of mechas is unrealistic and silly and nips can accept this fact so there aren't too many shows that tries to be realistic. I guess Ghost in the Shell and MADOX-01 are closest to what you are looking for.
>>
>>12465213
>so the more "realistic" the better.
you're in the wrong genre.

This isn't hollywood. Either you appreciate god like war machines, or you don't.
>>
File: 1309133761266.jpg (103 KB, 640x351) Image search: [Google]
1309133761266.jpg
103 KB, 640x351
>>12465213
Dougram is fairly down to earth, though the mech fighting itself is kinda goofy, with jumping around and stuff.

VOTOMs has even more realistic mechs, but the plot gets mystical by the end.

FLAG, which is here >>12465223
is probably the 'realest' robot series you can get.

Patlabor is also a very 'real' series, the robots are used for construction work so the police need robots of their own to solve problems whenever someone gets drunk in a mech or whatever. It's more of a funny series than a war one, though. If you're OK with that, it's all sorts of awesome.
>>
You're going to have to be a little compromising on realism in almost everything, so I figure I just reccomend some decent stuff that isn't completely stupid.
There's VOTOMS, Dougram, Patlabor, Gasaraki, Ghost in the Shell (and Shirow Masamune generally), and LoGH (not a whole lot of robots, but it's great if you haven't seen it yet), and that's about all I can think of for TV.

It really is a shame there isn't more. I really prefer it over the super robot stuff.
>>
>>12465253
>It's more of a funny series than a war one, though.
Not if you're watching the movies it isn't.
>>
>>12465423
the only people that say that are those who have little experience with Japanese mecha, and westerners who only care about muh battletech.

realistic robot is good once in a blue moon, but for the most part it's not entertaining. there's no point in creating something larger than life in animation, to just restrict it to physical constraints (which real robots don't respect either)

Either go all out, or don't. It's animation. You're supposed to be as creative as possible.
>>
>>12465502
Speak for yourself.
>>
OP here, I know that no mecha series is going to ACTUALLY be realistic, that's why I put the word in quotation marks. Obviously some license with reality is warranted. I am just looking for things in the real robot genre (whuch according to Wikipedia, is a distinct mecha genre, apologies if I'm mistaken) and less silly, nigh-magically overpowered super robots. Military stuff is cool, so maybe that's an easier genre to suggest things fo. Idk.

VOTOMS looks interesting. As does Patlabor. Thanks to those that suggested them.
>>
>>12465213
Gasaraki, remember to not watch the last episode.
>>
>>12465662
For a more recent vintage, try Argevollen.

Don't let the lack of budget & the rather cliche-y 1st episode put you off. There's also a bit of barely-explained handwavium to explain the absence of aircraft.
>>
>>12465213
Neo Ranga.
>>
File: 1336284994396.png (384 KB, 858x477) Image search: [Google]
1336284994396.png
384 KB, 858x477
Patlabor is on my top list for mecha (not power armor)

FLAG is.... an attempt that fail. I have never seen a worst design that the HAWC, it's like the designer idea of realistic was just to make the most incongruous and sophisticated form he could.

In fact the Chinese-Russian "Longku" which was certainly meant to look "inferior" turn out to be a more intelligent design.

>>12465235 >>12465502
Stop talking out of your ass, this isn't because you can't search for realistic series and dislike the genre that everybody consider it an impossibility.

There's more than enough argument for realistic mecha to be made, authors & director just need incentive to do series that don't appeal to power-fantasy addict.

It's sad we can hardly a show where the MC isn't a surrogate teen living a self-fulfilling fantasy, but it happen from time to time and it have nothing to do with the worth of real mech in fiction or the real world.
>>
>>12465662
As you can see, there's a small minority of retards on this board that flip shit when anyone says 'real' or 'super' robot even though everyone knows what they mean.
Mobile Suit Gundam was the show that started the real robot trend. You should watch it. There's plenty of other good recommendations in this thread. Ryosuke Takahashi's stuff (Dougram, VOTOMS, Layzner, Gasaraki, Blue Gender, Flag, ect.) is my personal favorite.
>>
Is Code Geass real?
>>
>>12465223

FLAG is at once everything I love and hate about "Real Robot" series.
>>
>>12466355
Getter robo is my favorite REAL ROBOT
I'm sorry this is too funny
>>
>>12466355
How Can Code Geass Be Real If Our Eyes Arent Real?
>>
>>12466355
Much realistic than any gundum, that's for sure.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.