[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
G-Reco Animation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 11
Hey guys, so this has been bugging me since G-Reco started airing, maybe drawfags can clue me in on this a bit. The digital animation process on G-Reco is really interesting, but I have no idea if this is a brand new system Sunrise played with for G-Reco, or if it's a style they were always able to do, and Tomino simply pushed for it.

Three things I've noticed with G-Reco: These odd "textures" in the blacks, almost like the ink of an outline breaking up. This is very obvious in shots like the ED here, though interestingly it clears up when the shading moves.
>>
>>12459098
The second thing I've noticed was this almost brush-like texture to the mecha coloration. It doesn't seem to ever affect human colors, only mecha. Unfortunately, the TV rips make this very difficult to judge, and I haven't bothered to grab BDs yet.
>>
the entire thing feels like a callback to original animation styles back with animation cels and su ch. that's what I got from it anyhow.
>>
>>12459104
Third, the outlines seem to be very sketchy in comparison to most modern shows, almost as if its emulating cel outlines, but still with a fairly uniform thickness.

Has anything come out about the production of G-Reco that might shed light on this?
>>
Hey guys, so this has been bugging me since G-Reco started airing: Why is the show such garbage?
>>
File: greco story board1.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
greco story board1.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>12459122
no idea, have a story board

>>12459153
;)
>>
I've been curious about this myself. They were very uniform about it across the whole series. And the QUALITY moments in the series; I kinda thought a few of them were intentional.
>>
File: gendumb self.webm (216 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
gendumb self.webm
216 KB, 960x540
>>12459186
>>
File: dxclovergundam.jpg (75 KB, 425x640) Image search: [Google]
dxclovergundam.jpg
75 KB, 425x640
>>12459196
That has to be some kind of a deliberate easter egg. The proportions in that last frame are an exact match for the original Gundam action figure by Clover. Some off-model cels from the original series were even drawn with it as reference.
>>
>>12459250
a-are those spring loaded rocket punches?
>>
>>12459250
And for an example of what I meant...
>>
>>12459263
>kill me
>>
File: 1427501271358.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1427501271358.jpg
151 KB, 1280x720
>>12459263
>>12459196
And here is a still shot rather than a split second webm.
>>
File: Msn-02.jpg (185 KB, 372x426) Image search: [Google]
Msn-02.jpg
185 KB, 372x426
>>12459263
>the gundam's legs are just for show
>>
>>12459098
>Tomino simply pushed for it
It might be more time consuming to do, but likely this.
>>
Intentional QUALITY. This is the first thing you see it ep 7.
>>
File: go go go.webm (21 KB, 156x160) Image search: [Google]
go go go.webm
21 KB, 156x160
>>12459364
MA KU ROSS! MA KU ROSS! MAAAAAAKROSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>12459364
Hey man, I never that G-Reco DIDN'T have off-model artwork. I just know the Clover toy when I see it is all.
>>
>>12459098
>>12459104
>>12459122
Gundam ACE has some interviews with Yoshida, maybe he says something about it.
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/gundam/magazine/
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/gundam/magazine/detail.php?backnumber=1
>>
>>12459364
>12459377
Do you not know how animation works?
It is a far away shot, thus, the lack of detail is due to distance. It is a common trick for anime to do this as it save time and also tricks to make things look far away.
>>
>>12459104
>>12459122
It's funny, those two points are why I absolutely couldn't stand to watch it.
>>
>>12459569
You don't like lines having character?
>>
>>12459569
I'm guessing that you didn't even notice that until it was pointed out in this thread.

>>12459564
What they're saying is that they think they intentionally drew fighter planes on the deck for that shot instead of mobile suits or base jabbers, and that they think that the Gendum moment in G-Reco was actually intentional as well.

It's really not that farfetched when you look at it. As >>12459377 points out, the low-quality shit in G-Reco had some serious attention paid to it.
>>
>>12459098
>>12459104
>>12459122
It's the fact that digital animation, and art in general are finally getting to a point that it can emulate the artifacts typically left in hand drawn media.

When digital animation first began, it was much cleaner than traditional cel animation, perhaps too clean. It lacked the warmth that traditional styles had from their inception. But, those were the breaks, the tools weren't precise enough (or alternately people simply weren't trying) to intentionally add back in those artifacts.

Drawing programs can now faithfully recreate the textures and effects of drawing with an ink pen or marker, something that took a little while to really nail. With these 'new' tools in hand you can make digital works that more resemble those traditional techniques.

In G Reco, you can see these pen tools, and they very likely hand colored the frames instead of just using fill tools. It is a slightly more time consuming process, but it makes each frame that much more unique.

As for the blacks, they likely just ran it through a very noisy film grain filter.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.