[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Anno a fascist? One of his favourite anime is Uchuu Senkan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 26
File: anno2.jpg (40 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
anno2.jpg
40 KB, 624x480
Is Anno a fascist? One of his favourite anime is Uchuu Senkan Yamato, he wrote an embarrassingly nationalistic backstory for Gunbuster so that Japan would end up as the Earth's leading power, all the NGE characters are named after WW2 ships and a lot of his statements about modern Japan or Japan post-WW2 are in-line with the sentiments of a lot of right-wing commentators of the time. Many of his attitudes seem to line up with Mishima Yukio's for example especially when he talks about the emasculation or the infantilisation of the Japanese people.

How about other mecha creators? Since mecha often involves military technology and warfare, I wouldn't be surprised if it attracted a lot of uyoku dantai types to the genre. There's a manga about a guy who goes back in time to Pearl Harbor and changes the course of WW2 but its name eludes me. And Yamato is one that you can debate until the sun goes down.
>>
>>12432873
You mean Zipang, its a pretty good show
>>
>>12432873
Takahashi did that OVA with time travel and WW2 Japan doing nuthin' wrong.
>>
That's all very interesting, OP, but I want to know if he plays Kancolle.
>>
File: Pagodemast_van_de_Fuso_in_1944.jpg (184 KB, 1360x1500) Image search: [Google]
Pagodemast_van_de_Fuso_in_1944.jpg
184 KB, 1360x1500
A lot of people comment on the 'nationalism' in Yamato but I don't see it, even in the show. Yes, there's a very obvious piece of symbolism in resurrecting one of the most powerful symbols of Japanese identity, but the show was very pacifistic, even the original one. It was never about crushing the Gamelons but about making it to Iscandar. They didn't destroy them with the wave motion gun every episode.

And curiously, the Gamelons are very clearly styled after the nazis, yet they're the enemies of the very Japanese Yamato crew, despite Japan and Germany being axis buddies.
>>
>>12432873
I like his lil hobo beard, I hope that when he gets older he let it grow out into a full wizened kung fu master beard wit fu manchu
>>
>>12432906
It's worth noting, unless Central-Anime was lying in their factoids at the end of episodes, the show was kind of being monitored for possibly pro-Imperial sentiments.
They had to dial back a few moments during production for that.
>>
File: 1428739165507.jpg (2 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
1428739165507.jpg
2 KB, 228x221
>Is Anno a fascist?
>>
>>12432944

It's a legitimate discussion, anon. It's not like the absurd debates on whether or not Del Toro was a fascist for Pacific Rim because it involved mankind uniting to kill mindless slave enemies.

Japan has a very interesting culture because they had a brutal imperialist past and then it was taken away from them, leaving a lot of people with odd frustrations and political beliefs.
>>
>>12432991

a lot of the things being pointed to as 'fascist flags' are similar nationalist sentiments that pretty much any and all American patriots would hold about their own country. Does that make them Fascist? Yes it does. Nationalism and Patriotism are a cancerous blight on humanity.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-03-0032.png (248 KB, 808x1300) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-03-0032.png
248 KB, 808x1300
Does anyone know the exact events being referred to here, and where I can read more about it?

As far as I know, Japan has a clause (Article 9) which forbids them from using war to resolve conflicts. At the same time, they have a large a powerful army in the form of the JSDF.

The way this is written it sounds like America wanted Japan to break Article 9 and help them but they didn't, while in other situations Japan has ignored it for their own interests/goals.
>>
File: Yukio-Mishima-nieve.jpg (100 KB, 416x594) Image search: [Google]
Yukio-Mishima-nieve.jpg
100 KB, 416x594
>>12433024

Well, I'm non American. And I find the degree of Marine worship and jingoism to be unbearable in a lot of US military stories. So I don't disagree with you.
>>
He's not trying to block and ban speech, so no, he's not a fascist.
>>
After having read many interviews with Anno, I'm convinced he's an idiot.

Not an unusable or useless idiot however.
>>
>odd political beliefs.

Odd to you.

Democracy a shit. Yuko Mishima 4 lyfe.
>>
>>12432873
He'a working in "military" scifi. It's honestly hard to find military scifi that isn't chauvinistic and socially regressive. Expressing Pro-fascistic sentiments is basically just a hop and a skip from there.

>>12433034
Uh, they really can't use military forces for anything other than for the protection of their national (sea) borders and Post WW2, the US has been pushing them to break their own laws whenever they've started a war somewhere in Eurasia.

>>12433024
Man, don't you ever read cape comics
>the US is the only nation that matters
>domestic terrorism is FIIIIINNNNNEEEE, so are autonomous killer robots that will randomly kill teenagers in their homes if they detect that they're genetically aberrant.
>everybody who isn't good is evil and you should totes slug them in the face with sledgehammers after they've surrendered just to drive that point home
>>
>>12433063
>fascism
>the year is 2152
>nobody is allowed to speak
>people have to learn sign to communicate in person
>The Loud & Proud Rebels of Eurasia are relentlessly hunted down and destroyed by the Voiceless Immortals
>their one last hope is now placed in an improbably extensive military industrial project to create the perfect weapon
>a gigantic suit of armor, a robot known only as
>the VOX POPULI
>but they were betrayed and the secret underground base housing the superweapon is under attack from the Voiceless
>they've broken through and are about to enter the launch-chamber when
>against all odds an angsty teenager named Yukio, completely by chance, drops into the cockpit
>and is forced to fight his way out and lead the rebellion against the oppression of the majority.
>coming summer 2015
>>
>>12432873
Maybe he's just a soldier patriot.
>>
>>12433091

Is it really Japan's fault for not becoming involved in the gulf war then? They were sticking to their own laws, that America helped impose on them.

But Ishikawa's pages implie that the JSDF have gotten involved in at least one non-defense conflict because it was in their interests. If that's true then that'd make them hypocrites and worthy of criticism. Trouble is I don't know what conflicts these are.
>>
>>12433152
>geo-politics
>thinking rules and moral standpoints apply

You're a fool.
>>
File: miya-anno.jpg (183 KB, 764x469) Image search: [Google]
miya-anno.jpg
183 KB, 764x469
>>12432873
If Anno really was a nationlist nut, he wouldn't be close friends with Miyazaki, who is left-wing to the point of preaching.

IIRC, he did make some comments about how current Japanese adults "have the mindset of children" and how "it wasn't like this before or during the war", which is a valid point.
>>
I don't think so, I think he was simply a military otaku like glasses guy in EVA and he let that influence his stylistic choices, but given the fact that he's gay and other things he said about otaku I don't think he longs for Imperial times.

He simply liked their uniforms and ships.
>>
File: Ultrmn_80_UMG.png (322 KB, 425x455) Image search: [Google]
Ultrmn_80_UMG.png
322 KB, 425x455
Anno strikes me as having that somewhat typical streak of otaku fetishization of WW2 that a lot of them have. The want-your-cake-and-eat-it-attitude of hating the military leadership in terms of their political agenda and their disregard for civilian lives/taking their soldiers for granted while still thinking that combat is exciting and heroic sacrifice is dreamy and coming together for a common herp and strong noble leaders and pbltblbtltblttblt.

On some level, every country likes to romanticize it's armies. Look at the number of vaguely militaristic superheroes, or all the video games that have absolutely batshit crazy premises to justify a good old fashioned Good VS Evil war. In Anno's particular case, there's Ultraman, which always featured a paramilitary group teaming up with the brothers to help fight off the scary alien threats... but they generally had no political agenda, and were almost quasi-academic institutions instead of resembling actual armies.

Then there's the fact that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and Japan hasn't had full blown military in a great while
>>
File: 8084821088_b23f2d2504_z.jpg (94 KB, 424x640) Image search: [Google]
8084821088_b23f2d2504_z.jpg
94 KB, 424x640
>>12433366
just because he wrestled naked in the public path with akai doesn't make him gay
>>
>>12433300
He's just another man idolizing the past.

Which do you prefer, a man reading manga on a train, or a brainwashed goon committing atrocities in the name of Japan?

Anno might cry over Japan's lost strength all he wants, but in reality it's called progress.

If Anno thinks Japan acts like children, then he's not the first. The American officers who came to Japan after they lost WW2, had the exact same thing to say.

That they were like children. Not because they read manga on a train, because they were stubborn little shits unable to function as adults.

>>12433416
fag_hag.jpg
>>
>>12433416
>What are beards
Also, Japan is NOT progressive. You will get married and have a family and you will LIKE IT.
>B-but I'm just not fucking attracted to wom-
Get over it.
>>
>>12433416

What makes him gay is all the personal stuff he put in the KaworuxShinji relationship, the fact he married after 40 and always said he doesn't want to have kids and that kids frighten him.
Him also reading gay novels doesn't help.
>>
>>12433091
>I've never read cape comics, but let me tell you all about them
Ok, tumblr.
>>
>>12433416
His reads erotica novellas, he's a massive faggot.
>>
>>12433440
So what you're saying is that Tomino is actually a space nazi because he made a lot of stuff featuring space nazis?
>>
>>12433468

Difference being Tomino never identified with Char, Ramba Ral, Gihren, Dozle or other Zeon characters.
Anno identified with Shinji, and having your self-insert fall in love with a faggot says enough about you.
>>
>>12433439
>japanese
>getting married
>>
>>12433152
They did send some troops for Iraq 2 but they were in a humanitarian aid role. It's probably more about the fact they're allowed to ignore other provisions in article 9 like the ban on the JSDF operating carriers.
>>
>>12433680
He's from an older, more traditional generation
Like, he's how old now? 45? He's not part of the japanese youth that just decided "Nah, fuck this, don't need women I got waifus"
>>
>>12433698
Anno is a huge fucking waifufag.
>>
>>12433698
Anno's 54, actually. He'll be 55 this year.
>>
>>12433706
I think we're missing the point here

>>12433721
Oh, damn. Older than I thought.
>>
>>12433721
>>12433706
Think Anno's ever sucked a dick before?
>>
>>12432991
>>12433042
Who is this handsome devil, and what did he do?
>>
>>12433440
>always said he doesn't want to have kids and that kids frighten him.
How is that exclusive to gay people?

>>12433480
>having your self-insert fall in love with a faggot says enough about you.
You are misunderstanding Kaworu's character. The sexual part of their relationship isn't important. Shinji is sexually attracted to Asuka anyway, like Anno was to her VA.
>>
>>12433773
>never heard of Yukio Mishima
you fucking pleb
>>
>>12433785

Yeah. The whole point of Kaworu's story was that Shinji wanted some affection and attention and simply sought someone who would just hold him tightly and not be a dick to him.

He wasn't gay so much as he was desperate for any sort of kindness.

Kaworu was mad gay though.
>>
>>12433773
Yukio Mishima, japanese bookwrighter and leader of nationalist "Shield society". He tried to start a far-right coup but failed and committed sudoku. His most famous books are: Confessions of a Mask (about struggle with one's homosexuality, or something like that), My friend Hitler (a play about Ernst Röhm) and The Temple of the Golden Pavillion (the views on beauty and romantisation of the Kinkaku-ji temple arson, rate it 9/10).
>>
>>12433785

Anno asked the chief animator to do a scene where they swimmed in a lake naked.
Somehow the chief animator at fucking Gainax was the last bigot in Japan and refused.

A sexually confused 14 year old kid swimming naked with a mysterious kid giving him attention.
How is that not gay.

Also Kaworu was confirmed to be inspired from Ikuhara, one of Anno main inspirations.
>>
>>12432873
>Many of his attitudes seem to line up with Mishima Yukio's

so Anno was a draft dodging , closet homosexual with low self esteem like Mishima ?
>>
>>12433735
It's where he got the inspiration for his pube beard.
>>
>>12433846
Yeah?
>>
>>12433845

To be fair, even the script for that episode is... Different. It describes Shinji as having some uber-girly, shoujo heroine-esque mannerisms

But, it's not unheard of for guys who identify as straight to have a lone, powerful homosexual atteaction to just one dude, ya know?

But, again, I don't think Shinji was gay. Just lonely and looking for any sort of love.
>>
>>12433412
>Japan hasn't had full blown military in a great while

What are you talking about? The JSDF is a full blown military despite Japan's claims that it's not or that it's a glorified police force. It's still #7 in terms of funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures
>>
>>12433857

do you like robots ?
>>
>>12433893
I love robots.
>>
>>12433857
Is he also secretly ripped as fuck?
>>
>>12433862
>it's not unheard of for guys who identify as straight to have a lone, powerful homosexual atteaction to just one dude, ya know?

That's closet fags though.

But yeah, Shinji jerked off HARD to Asuka and got massive boners for Rei. Kid is not gay, just confused and awkward as fuck.

Plus, it's not like Angels have genders...
>>
File: Ikuhara and nagano.jpg (37 KB, 318x706) Image search: [Google]
Ikuhara and nagano.jpg
37 KB, 318x706
>>12433845
Any sources for the Ikuhara thing. If it's true, I might actually fucking brother to watch Eva.
>>
>>12433937
*Ikuhara thing?
**bother
>>
Older japs are imperialists who miss the good old days of the "glorious" Nippon Empire. That's nothing new. Nevermind the fact that pre-WW2 it was pretty cool, with all the samurai running around and getting shot like there was no tomorrow from Meiji supremacists
>>
>>12433698
>"Nah, fuck this, don't need women I got waifus"

Only hardcore reject wota use this excuse, and even then, half of them don't mean it. They'd throw themselves at the feet of the first woman to look in their direction like Tomoko did in Watamote with guys.

The real story is that most Japanese people of marrying age are poor, have no time due to working themselves to death, or don't want to have to choose between parenthood or their careers. General emotional immaturity is also likely a factor.
>>
I think Fukuda favors Japanese Imperialism to be honest. Take ORB, what he says is his idealized Japan. ORB's full name, in Japan at least, is the United Emirates of ORB. They changed it to avoid controversy stateside, as emirates is an Islamic term for principality.

Japan is a constitutional monarchy.

The two are polar opposites. While there can be an elected assembly with a principality, the power ultimately lies with the monarch/prince/emir etc. They get to set the policies. With a constitutional monarchy, the power lies with the elected assembly. The nobles do not set policy,

That whole thing they tell immigrants, that they must accept ORB's ways and customs, starts to sound a little more sinister now. I mean, the citizens don't have any real power over politics and they're told in no uncertain terms to accept that if they want to live there. They can't challenge it.

Hell, they might have to switch their religion considering the existence to Haumea. Haumea is a goddess of fertility and childbirth that is worshiped in ORB. They have their own religion, and immigrants are told to accept their ways.

And this is all Fukuda's ideal. Kinda scary.
>>
>>12434008
a) Yeah no. ORB is a country that encourages immigration, has a lack of xenophobia or discrimination and is one of the few countries in Seed that embraces Coordinators. It's the entire opposite of Japan. If anything it's a mix of Japan and Singapore.

b) That is NOT how Imperial Japan worked. ORB is nothing like it. Imperal Japan was a militaristic and imperialist project from the onset. Later in the 30s it incorporates elements of European fascism as a counter to Communist. Post-Meiji Reformation, the power of the navy and army in determining policy and subordinating civilian government as well as ultimately being independent of the civilian oversight even to the point of not having to obey the Emperor is some of its most defining traits.
>>
>>12433937
>fucking brother
Interesting freudian slip there anonymous.
>>
>>12434065
>a) Yeah no. ORB is a country that encourages immigration, has a lack of xenophobia or discrimination and is one of the few countries in Seed that embraces Coordinators.

Except ORB is extremely opportunistic. It's a time of war and you're offering people a safe haven, provided they submit to your laws and customs. Chief amongst these people are Coordinators, people who can perform better than naturals. Kira is only a student, yet he's the only one who can program a Natural-friendly OS. That's the power people believe Coordinators have, so of course ORB is going to make itself an appealing destination to said people.

This is a nation that sounded appalled at ZAFT further enhancing it's military might post-war, all while they had upgraded from Astrays to Murasames. Never mind that the Sahaku's, one of the ruling noble families, was seeking to rule the Earth Sphere with the Astray project.
>>
>>12434125
That is what state actors do. They try and enhance their own power, prestige and look for their own self-interest. It's no more japanese than surrendering is french.
>>
File: anno and ikuhara.jpg (91 KB, 300x326) Image search: [Google]
anno and ikuhara.jpg
91 KB, 300x326
>>12433937
Not him but it's never been confirmed, seems the main inspiration is an interview with Ikuhara where he speculates that a hot spring trip he took with Anno was the inspiration for Kaworu and Shinji's bath scene: http://17th-angel.tumblr.com/post/42052509118/all-about-nagisa-kaworu-a-child-of-the (sorry for shrine blog link, it's an interesting excerpt though)

Personally I really want to believe it, even if the inspiration is more about Ikuhara inspiring Anno and the manly bond of their souls or some shit than actual homogays.
>>
>>12434065
Oh yes, that sounds like Singapore all right. A seemingly democratic country run by fascists who only care about money and power at the expense of the people. They welcome foreigners to abuse cheap migrant labor and artificially inflate their GDP.

Source: I live there.
>>
>>12432873
Anno is a hardcore Jap nationalist.
He was convicted for attacking a left-wing student with a bokken when in high school.
>>
>>12434536
>attacking a left-wing student with a bokken when in high school.
I can't see Anno doing something like that. Unless it was something he saw on a toku/anime.
>>
>>12434125
>This is a nation that sounded appalled at ZAFT further enhancing it's military might post-war, all while they had upgraded from Astrays to Murasames.

That's because Zaft looked they were preparing for a freaking invasion of earth with 5 Gundam's of all terrains, a new space/atmosphere ship, and several variations of new grunts, meanwhile Orb had simply reworked it's basic grunt design to have a flight mode.

Big difference.
>>
>>12433170

Never said that, I fully expect the Japanese gov't to be guilty of hypocrisy, I just wanted to know the specifics of what he was referring to. My country tagged along with Murica's ridiculous 'war on terror' so I know how ridiculous this shit is.
>>
I think LoGH put it best.

Nationalism, in the form of patriotism, is not a bad thing. It's when politicians use it that it strays away from simply loving your country into something much more insidious.

As for Anno himself, I don't know. Nationalist, maybe, but not fascist.
>>
>>12433034
>At the same time, they have a large a powerful army in the form of the JSDF.
Actually their army is pathetic. It's their navy that's absurdly powerful for a defense force.
>>
>>12433885
Japan has a bigger military than any other NATO member other than the US.
>>
>>12435143
>Pathetic
>170,000 regulars
>Over 500 MBTs
>Over 1000 other AFVs
>Over 200 SPGs
>99 M270 MRLS (largest operator outside the US)
>Bigger helicopter force than any NATO army aside from the US

They're pretty much the second biggest Western aligned army in the world and their equipment is very much up to scratch, both regionally and globally. They outnumber and outgun the British and French armies and this isn't even taking into account the JASDF and JMSDF, both arguably the best non-American air force and Navy respectively.
>>
>>12432873
Being nationalist isn't the same as being totally fascist

but Japan bailing America out of a nuclear meltdown in NGE instead of the other way around gave me a giggle, nice try Anno
>>
>>12435215
they taught America important skills in ignoring that there's radiation because it would be rude to point it out
>>
>>12433468
Tomino isn't a space nazi. He's a space liberal trying to warn Japan to regress back into an imperialistic country.
>>
>>12435224
I meant to type Warn Japan not to regress back into an imperialistic country
>>
>>12435215
Memory serves, wasn't it implied Japan set up the meltdown in the first place to keep the EVAs at the top of the game?
>>
>>12435224
>>12435260

It helps he was alive in Japan after it was turned to shit.
>>
Really though, can you name someone in the mecha genre that outright villainized Imperial Japan and called it evil?

I can think of one person, Yokoyama. He talked about Nanking and called it an act of evil back in the 70s.
>>
File: 1374937651632.png (102 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
1374937651632.png
102 KB, 800x540
>>12432873
>so that Japan would end up as the Earth's leading power
UNPRECEDENTED! Nobody did something like this before, right? If the power is not US they're nazi-super-non-tolerant-brutes.

Also:
>Yamato
>Fascistic
Nice meme, I love it.
>>
>>12435224
Tomino is very conservative (read Japanese) on social issues. His works really don't challenge the Japanese mindset that create Nanking. It's not that diferent from American superheroes
>>
>>12435375

if his works are in any way indicative of his own beliefs, then I think he sees the older generations as too indoctrinated by the system to ever be able to change anything and that only the newest generation can.
>>
>>12435331
I though this was a sexy crane from the thumbnail

:(
>>
>>12435293
I don't know that he did off the top of my head, but that sounds like something Ishinomori would throw in with his usual "everybody sucks" material.
>>
>>12435469

Yeah but Ishinomori was just bad at getting over his wife leaving him, or something like that. He still believed that good people will do the right thing in the end.

Mars was pretty much Yokoyama telling his audience "people become demons in the right circumstances"
>>
>>12435393
Crane, as in, the bird?
Because only the construction machine cranes can be sexy, anon.
>>
>>12434536
Source on this?
>>
File: kurumada_masami00.jpg (22 KB, 400x311) Image search: [Google]
kurumada_masami00.jpg
22 KB, 400x311
>>12432873
I've always though on Kurumada as the anime/manga counterpart to Yukio Mishima for the nationalism and homoerotic machismo
>>
>>12434536

Even if that's true, that doesn't prove he attacked the guy for his political views. It could've just been over stupid shit.
>>
>>12435558
Wasn't it his older sister dying? That hit him pretty hard.
>>
>>12432882
Zipang was pretty annoying.
>>"Hey, should we help Japan win the war?"
>>"NO! FUCK YOU!"
>>"Uh, should we maybe let Japan lose the war?"
>>"NO! FUCK YOU!"
>>"...should we decisively do anything?"
>>"NO! We're just going to rag on about how every possible course of action is beneath us!"
>>
>>12435623

He had a lot of shit happen to him all at the same time.
>>
File: kitaro.png (914 KB, 1236x922) Image search: [Google]
kitaro.png
914 KB, 1236x922
Shigeru Mizuki fought for grorious nippon in WW2 and he's still alive, has he ever commented on it?
>>
>>12437094

He's written books on it, including his memoirs.

http://www.japanfocus.org/-Matthew-Penney/2905
>>
File: pissing on the sunrise.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pissing on the sunrise.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
>>12437100

Excellent, thank you.
>>
>>12433434

>A country that can't support its aging population and is not even reproducing enough to replace itself
>progress
>>
>>12437117
Altenatively:

>A country with a population larger than it needs, especially in the face of automation and declining global resources is lowering its population due to societal and economic measures.

The only reason the West isn't in the same boat is a massive, unprecedented influx of migration.
>>
File: 192.png (428 KB, 1540x1197) Image search: [Google]
192.png
428 KB, 1540x1197
>>12435293

Don't know if Nagai has commented on Imperial Japan specifically but he's strongly anti-war and sees it as something with no real victors. Which is why even though Ryo "wins" in Devilman he gains nothing from the victory and ends up feeling hollow and loss.
>>
>>12437135

The problem is there won't be enough working-age members of the population to support the ones who are going into retirement.
>>
File: vlcsnap-591401.png (210 KB, 403x302) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-591401.png
210 KB, 403x302
>>12437117
>A country that can't support its aging population and is not even reproducing enough to replace itself

This is all developed nations except Ireland. The only reason the west isn't shrinking is because they import brown people. And even then the German population is collapsing faster than Japan's.
>>
>>12437151

At least Germans marry, even if they aren't having children either.
>>
>>12437155

You say "at least" like marriage is a positive thing. It's not the middle ages any more.
>>
>>12437182
>like marriage is a positive thing

at least you've found someone
>>
>thread devolves into insane /pol/ flame war
>It's not a Muv-Luv thread

You're getting worse, /m/.
>>
>>12437094
Read Onward Comarade to our Noble Deaths and Showa: A History of Japan. The former is a fictional account based on his own experiences,a nd is an excellent war comic. In the latter he goes into length about his experiences in the Imperial Army and the shit they got up to in Asia in very frank terms. The shit he survived is nothing short of miraculous, he was lucky to come away from the army minus only an arm.
>>
I'm pretty sure Mishima actually appears in one of Shigeru Mizuki's comics. I can't remember which one, but I've seen some pages before.
>>
I'm suprised G-Reco hasn't come up yet in this thread. Nationalism and jingoism leading to bad shit happening is one of the things the show repeatedly slaps you on the head with.
>>
>>12434536
Yeah no. He was a nerdlist too busy trying to become an animator to bother with political bullshit.
>>
File: anno cosplay.jpg (69 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
anno cosplay.jpg
69 KB, 480x640
Just look at him here. Celebrating Japan's military history. Clearly a fascist.
>>
>>12437297
/pol/ is spreading their taint more these days.
>>
>>12438150

What's /pol/ about this thread exactly? It's more right-critical if anything.
>>
>>12438175
Probably just an eva-babby crying that his idol otaku is getting some criticism.
>>
Do you suppose that now that the WW2 veterans in Japan are old and dying, they're taking the "imperialism/nationalism/jingoism is bad, we know, we went there" mentality to the grave with them, and now the younger generations who were born after the postwar period and never had to experience the consequences of that kind of nationalism are foolishly embracing it and repeating the mistakes of their grandparents?
>>
>>12437139
Nagai seems to be leftist, arguably even maoist at some point of his life. Isn't Violence Jack some kind of romantic communism?
>>
Not this shit again.

The majority of anime/manga is written by Japanese people FOR Japanese people. Does it surprise you that they use Japan's history and culture in their works?

Nobody bats an eye when every hollywood movie is about how America is the best, most just and freedom loving country in the world, and how only America is capable of saving the world.

It seems like OP is an Amerifat who can't handle his country not being depicted as no.1 in his Chinese cartoons. I suggest OP does not watch Chinese cartoons and go back to Michael Bay movies.

It's crazy how Amerifats SCREAM "LOOK AT THE JAP IMPERIALIST" whenever a Japanese story portrays Japan in the future as some kind of advanced country/race. As if Japanese people wanting their own country to be portrayed in a positive light is somehow illegal in the Amerifat's eyes.

Its stinkingly clear that it is always Amerifats who make these kinds of threads. People like OP and most people in this thread are morons who can only ever look at subjects like through their their Amerifat eyes. If you draw a venn diagram of OP and the people who say "why do anime characters look white" you would find the overlap to be almost perfect.
>>
File: 1416017785715.png (422 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1416017785715.png
422 KB, 640x480
>>12438840
>Nobody bats an eye when every hollywood movie is about how America is the best
Europoors and liberals bitch about it 24/7.
>>
>>12437987

Oh Kenshin, your hats are so silly.
>>
File: rance-kenshin-attack.jpg (683 KB, 808x648) Image search: [Google]
rance-kenshin-attack.jpg
683 KB, 808x648
>>12438860
It's for ramming!
>>
>>12438791
Just as Republic of Munzo in The Origin by Yas is like early USSR with Jimba Ral as Trotsky and Zabi as Stalin
>>
>>12438857
and nobody gives a shit about their opinion
>>
>>12438840

That's great, unfortunately I'm not American so your big spergrant was a waste of time.
>>
>>12437987
That's not cosplay. That's a statue you stick your face through for photo opportunity
>>
>>12437987
>posing for a photo as someone rumors believed was gay

Not helping things Anno.
>>
>>12438857
>>12438955
Who was it that said /pol/ wasn't leaking into this thread?
>>
File: dude.png (18 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
dude.png
18 KB, 160x160
>>12439007
>make a thread that by its very nature is political
>surprised when people talk about politics
>>
>>12439007
Save your bitching for someone who cares, Tumblr.
>>
File: 1388380723397.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1388380723397.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>Anno: I think that the one thing Yamato 2199 lacks up to this point is a do-or-die sense of heroism. Of desperation. I think that’s because of the modern era we are in.

>Anno: Well, people back then had the experience of WW2 and the sense of urgency and desperation really came to be embodied in Captain Okita.

>Anno: I said most of this already, but if there’s anyone in the audience who has yet to watch the original Yamato, please do! Watching it now it does look old in many respects, but 2199 doesn’t have that hand-drawn feel or dirty and scratched cells, whereas the original does! (Laughter) Fans of the original like us feel that it had a kind of soul to it, but if you watch it as well as Izubuchi’s 2199, 2199 is a good… how shall I put it… companion piece. (Laughter)
>(to Izubuchi) But you don’t need to focus on the Gamilas side that much! I mean, who cares who that guy’s wife is?

Anno on Yamato 2199. More whining about the weakness/emasculation of post-WW2 Japan. He seems frustrated that the Gamilas were humanised instead of being unquestionable bad guys who can be remorselessly crushed. This line of thinking is a crucial part of fascist thought.
>>
>>12439145
>author of most feminine and whiny main character of all times
>a basement dweller without a basement
>whining about post-WW2 Japan
>>
>>12439145
Anno doesn't like the things in 2199 that make me like it better than the original, a better focus on the "villains" and cutting of the "to we win, all the enemies MUST DIE!" thing.
Really, I dont expect it from a guy who is vegetarian.
>>
>>12435558

What the fuck? His wife never leave him...
>>
>>12439535

Well I said "or something" because I honestly couldn't remember what triggered that grimdark period he had in his life.
>>
>>12439544

His older sister's death at the age of only 19 years old. She was the only person to ever have give him support to go to Tokyo become a manga artist. His father has ripped apart the manga pages he originally intended to send to Manga Shonen. She suffered from asthma and died during a visit she made to Tokyo in order to meet with him on Tokiwa-So, So she got terribly sick because of the polluted air from Tokyo as they used to live on rural area before (and she still couldn't leave home for longs periods of time, so Ishinomori learned how to draw to show her the wonders of the outside world). It's said that his female characters were based on her.
>>
>>12439644
Goddamn.
>>
>>12439644
Are you fucking kidding me
Holy tearjerker drama plot batman
>>
>>12439145
Can I get a source for this please?
>>
File: tears.jpg (62 KB, 700x415) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
62 KB, 700x415
>>12439644
Jesus christ.

I'd be tempted to end it all right there after something like that.
>>
>>12439145
Anno is a fucking hack. He's a fucking child.
>>
>>12435375
G-Reco was basically a subtle mockery of Japanese imperialism and Japanese society pre-WW2, where people were literally killing themselves over Bushido, Japanese hierarchy, and other indoctrination bullshit.
>>
>>12439800

Did Tomino say that, or is that just how you interpreted it?
>>
>>12437151
Japan is in a world of hurt more than just demographically, though. Germany has a leg up because the EU is basically their means of exporting their manufacturing to other countries without the liabilities.

Japan has the highest debt as a %GDP in the world and the Japanese banks constantly have to fight off deflation of the Yen. On top of that, Japan easily has the most toxic corporate culture in the world where you're expected to work 10-12 hour days but do so without being more productive than the United States.
>>
I've heard this before: Wasn't Takahashi's infamous "Earth Arc" in Layzner basically a retelling Japan's occupation of Korea, and that's why everyone hated it?
>>
>>12433773
A faggot who called for the restoration of Imperial Japan who killed himself after being laughed out of his grand stage for a military coup.
>>
>>12439683
>http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/754/

Go nuts.
>>
>>12439856

Honestly, I think he just wanted to commit suicide and needed to think of a way to justify doing it.
>>
>>12439145
>but 2199 doesn’t have that hand-drawn feel or dirty and scratched cells, whereas the original does! (Laughter) Fans of the original like us feel that it had a kind of soul to it,
He says this while he whores out his own flag franchise, using 3DCG and poorly animated stiff scenes.

>I think that the one thing Yamato 2199 lacks up to this point is a do-or-die sense of heroism
Says the guy who turned Evangelion into a looping consequence free dreamworld where dying doesn't matter because BAM, you'll just get reborn for another try.
>>
>>12439856

Attempted coup my ass. He wrote a death haiku before he went out there, he knew exactly what he was doing. It was an elaborate setup that incriminated and endangered his friends just so he could live out (or die out in this case) his samurai suicide beautiful male death fantasy.
>>
>>12439892
Or it was an easy way out after realizing that people didn't succumb to their sadistic tendencies he was so fond of. Everyone keeps talking about Imperial Japan when they talk about Japanese culture, when in truth that was just one aspect of Japanese history- one aspect that got filled to the rim with propaganda and got boiled over. It's like the same idiots who argue about Britain after the collapse of its empire.
>>
>>12439907

It doesn't help that IJ has has lasting effects on the modern culture to this day.
>>
>>12438955
So don't be surprised when nobody gives a shit about yours.
>>
>>12439800
No, that's Zeon. (Although that definitely backfired,considering how much Japan wanks off to Zeon).

What G-Reco is definitely mocking though, are the right-wingnuts and nationalist wankers who want to re-militarise Japan.
>>
>>12439843

Comparisons to Japan occupying Korea, yes. Reason for why Layzner didn't go beyond 38 episodes, no. That was all on Sanyo selling a faulty heater that killed its buyer, thus a loss of money, and without any more money to fund Layzner, well...
>>
>>12439145
The Gamilas guys were plenty humanized in the old Yamato. Not so much in the first season, but more as time went on. By Final Yamato, Desslar was the coolest character in the whole thing.
>>
>>12441706
>That was all on Sanyo selling a faulty heater that killed its buyer

Wait, seriously?
>>
>Nationalism is bad
I hope all of you faggots eat shit and die
>>
>>12442608
y-you too
>>
I thought Layzner bombed because the shift to the fist of the north star shit was so terrible.
>>
>>12442608
>2015
>people saying that patriotism and nationalism are equal
Nationalism is bad. Patriotism is great.
>>
>>12442622
He's probably a natsoc from our buddies at /pol/
>>
>>12442629
go back to bed burch
>>
>>12442622
Name one thing bad about nationalism
>>
>>12442636
people believing that their country's beer is good, when it is in fact, garbage?
>>
>>12442640
That's not nationalism, that's capitalism
:^)
>>
>>12442636
It distracts people from real problems. Instead of making a synthetic worldwide culture, building space colonies etc people are still busy with "muh nation is cooler than yours" shitstorms. The world must unite and nationalism is the obstacle people must surpass.
>>
>>12442636

It does nothing to actually improve a nation, it just creates a bloated sense of superiority within the people that is easy for politicians to manipulate.

If you are going to go /pol/ on the discussion, consider this: blind allegiance to a nation and not its people or ideals would be exactly what the jews want, if they did in fact control everything. It would make it easier to get you to do what they want.
>>
>>12442671
But the last time we had an era of heightened nationalism, tech for space travel accelerated massively. Nationalism is bad when it's unfounded statements, but it can also be a motivation for people to actually do something to justify their pride.
>>
>>12442700

What you're describing is primarily patriotism combined with an obsessive need to one-up the Russians. Those feelings also nearly caused a nuclear war a couple times.

Nationalism isn't a real ideology, it's a tool used by demagogues to secure political power, it always has been. There's nothing wrong with loving your country, but when it enters public policy we tend to get shit like "the darkies shouldn't be allowed to vote because they're not REAL Americans".

But I'm probably the worst person to question about that opinion because I think only those who either served in the military or similar public sector duties. Then every voter shows that he places the welfare of the group ahead of personal advantage.
>>
>>12442723
only those should vote, I mean
>>
>>12442697
I agree that Nationalism is only good as a tool, that's why they NEED it. People should never question their superiors and leaders, in order for humanity to move forward towards the future.
>>
>>12442759

But what if their leaders say something that's wrong?

What if the people elected an idiot that was just popular?

WHAT IF ABE WAS PRESIDENT?
>>
>>12442766
>implying western democracy
>>
>>12442723
>What you're describing is primarily patriotism combined with an obsessive need to one-up the Russians
If you don't think that describes Nationalism pretty well, then we have a difference of definition which might explain it.

(And actually, I was being deliberately vague so as to include the wartime developments like V1 and V2 in that. Just because there's a war going on doesn't halt scientific advancement, it simply redirects it.)
>>
>>12442776

I'm talking about Shinzo Abe to stay on topic, so no it's not western.
>>
>>12442781
Japan is the go-to example for western-style democracy being forced to asian people.

Western style democracy is only good for western states, that's why shit like Arab Spring is bound to fail.

Name one successful non-western democratic country
>>
>>12442786

I was going to joke and say Australia on the ground thats they're convicts and not Westerners, but I'll just be honest and say Kenya. The country has problems, but as a democratic government it's actually run quite well all things considered.
>>
>>12442796
>africa
Yeah after the europeans came and set-up their governments and built infrastracture
>>
>>12442786
>Name one successful non-western democratic country

How is Japan "unsuccessful"? Their biggest problems would seem to be debt at the moment, which is also faced by western democracies, and the whole birthrate thing. You might convince me that their birthrate is a product of being a non-western democracy, but I'd like to see you do it.
>>
>>12442759
>People should never question their superiors and leaders
Bullshit, one of the first things you're taught in the military is that while the chain of command is very important, if a plan sounds damn near suicidal you should voice your concerns. We're also taught that the civilian population has every right to criticize and question how we do things, even if a lot of people in the military don't agree with that.
>>
>>12442786

Name one successful Earth country.
>>
>>12442816

Spacenoids pls.
>>
Guys we're derailing, the question is if Anno is such.

I don't know. Has anyone ever tried asking him?
>>
>>12442826
The question was stupid anyway

HURR DURR NATIONALISM = FASCISM
>>
>>12442829

True, but as >>12432991 said at the thread's start, because of Japan's history it's actually a question that can have legitimate discussion.
>>
>>12442826
>Guys we're derailing
Wow, thanks Mom. I'm glad the integrity of this serious, academic discussion wasn't compromised.
>>
>>12442837
>Wow, thanks Mom.

You're welcome dear. Remember, no dating sluts unless their dads are rich.
>>
>>12442803
Yeah, but we're not talkin' Rhodesia here. Kenya is a legitimate democracy run by legitimate natives.
>>
>>12432906
Don't forget that speech about the Yamato launching to give people hope, just like the original Yamato did. Amazed they got away with that.
>>
>>12442871
And it's a corrupt shithole, it's just is a bit more stable comparatively speaking.
>>
>>12442636
It tends to start wars
>>
>>12443001
Actually no.
>>
>>12443009
Ask europe
>>
>>12433439
>gay
>progressive
>>
>>12433034
>>12433091
Look up "collective self-defense". It's a way for the Japanese government to "interpret" what defense means and allows them to invade foreign countries.
>>
>>12439870
This pretty much. The guy was obsessed with death and art. One of the first things he ever masturbated to was a painting of Saint Sebastian being martyred.
>>
>>12443033
Man, nationalism has nothing to do with any wars. Your statement lacks of logic too much.
>>
Do we have Japanese members here?
>>
>>12443065
That's hot.
>>
>>12443065
And I had some crazy kind of pleasure when I was reading about crucifixion of Christ.
>>
>>12442786
>Japan
>democracy
>>
File: George-W-Bush_jpeg.jpg (16 KB, 220x291) Image search: [Google]
George-W-Bush_jpeg.jpg
16 KB, 220x291
>>12443046
Sounds fair
>>
File: untitled.png (340 KB, 629x467) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
340 KB, 629x467
Man I was watching that documentary yesterday and it freaked me the fuck out how this kid had a shirt from a local college.
>>
>>12441767
>Final Yamato, Desslar was the coolest character in the whole thing.
Considering what the rest of the movie is like...damned by a faint praise.
>>
>>12442072

Found no source on Sanyo sponsoring Layzner, but I found this on the faulty heater:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/sanyo-electric-co-ltd-history/

To be specific:

>>Kaoru Iue resigned suddenly in 1986 as a demonstration of responsibility for the deaths of customers who died using faulty Sanyo kerosene heaters. He was succeeded by Toshio Iue's son, Satoshi Iue, and subsequently died two years later.

>>12442786

India.
>>
>>12443898
>USA
>democracy
It has always been an oligarchy
>>
>>12443914
>Hilltoppers
>In my Japan
Will you ever stop haunting me WKU?
>>
>>12442723
So you're a reincarnated Robert Heinlein then?
>>
>If the future isn't run by americans, it's fascist

Why are you americans like this?
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.