[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You wish that mecha were a more popular genre, yet have a strong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: 1415416766287.jpg (35 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1415416766287.jpg
35 KB, 400x462
You wish that mecha were a more popular genre, yet have a strong private club mentality and if any show penetrates the mainstream audience it becomes quickly reviled and you fear the idea of a casual audience more extensively viewing the genre or discovering the shows you like

Humans, my logic processors struggle with your board, I request your assistance.
>>
I don't wish that at all. I just wish that the ones that do get popular weren't shit like Valvrave and Aldnoah.
>>
/m/ is full of spergs who don't understand things like humor or what makes a character good.
>>
>>12375971
>more popular
Fuck no
>>
What? No.

I just want good mecha shows to be made.
>>
>>12375993
Which is probably why so many people here hate Cross Ange even though it's hilarious and Ange is a great character.
>>
>>12376024
I really can't wait for this "cross ange is good" maymay to die out.
>>
>>12376039
I really can't wait for you to die.
>>
>>12376024
/m/ has been using No Zaku and Char is pedo jokes for years. Its really sad and annoying.
>>
File: jason todd facebook oh god wtf.png (184 KB, 1429x932) Image search: [Google]
jason todd facebook oh god wtf.png
184 KB, 1429x932
Because comic books and video games have already been taken over by idiots and casuals with the shallowest interest in the genre. Please don't take this from me, too.
>>
>>12376062
I don't get it. Those posts look fine.
>>
File: anime girl fucking fish.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
anime girl fucking fish.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>12376058
>>12376024

What does that have to do with anything?
>>
Except I don't wish any entertainment I like to be popular, because mainstream sucks.

Call it elitism but the more obscure, the better.

Only thing I like that is mainstream are popular guns, but that's supposed to be good for things for all the common parts and common caliber and even gun owners are a minority nowadays.
>>
>>12376084
Nothing. It is just something I'm annoyed by.
>>
File: crowbar.png (606 KB, 598x522) Image search: [Google]
crowbar.png
606 KB, 598x522
>>12376073

>just be glad they didn't kill Jason Todd
>>
>>12376101
Pretty sure Inaho could survive the same thing.
>>
>>12376084
Why is she so perfect?
>>
File: Superboy-Prime punch.jpg (330 KB, 1024x801) Image search: [Google]
Superboy-Prime punch.jpg
330 KB, 1024x801
>>12376116

I don't know, could he survive Superboy punching the walls of reality?
>>
>>12375971
I dont want it to be more popular, I just want to introduce it to my friends.
>>
>>12376155
I don't follow cape comics but this is pretty crazy.

>that NONONONONONONO sound effect
>>
File: superboy prime trolls dc boards.jpg (118 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
superboy prime trolls dc boards.jpg
118 KB, 600x458
>>12376249

Superboy Prime basically comes from a perfect Silver Age universe in which nothing bad happens and believes that the rest of the DC universe is unclean and all wrong- i.e., he's a proxy for butthurt fanboys.

Eventually, he ends up in Earth-Prime, our Earth, and starts trolling the DC forums. He eventually tries to murder Dan Didio, the then-editor of DC comics.
>>
File: fusion engine explosion.jpg (344 KB, 999x1116) Image search: [Google]
fusion engine explosion.jpg
344 KB, 999x1116
>>12376249
>>12376073
They're casuals because those statements explicitly show they don't know the history of what they're reading/watching and aren't at all familiar with the franchise with which they profess their interest in.

For example, Jason Todd.

More to the point:
>>12375971
>You wish that mecha were a more popular genre
No, I really don't. Because then you get idiots who don't understand G-Reco's domestic social commentary (just as 0079 was a historical retelling of the pacific theater of WWII and a warning against a return to Imperialism) and just want to see good guys pew pew bad guys.

Or worse, they watch mecha with no appreciation of sci-fi/speculative fiction and have little to no comprehension of SCIENCE.
>>
>>12376276
Yeah, the only thing missing is the fact that he's not a 40+ year old fat balding man, half of which are in the comic industry.
There are no young men and teens in comics anymore. Not even on the creating side.
>>
File: twitter johns is normal.png (3 MB, 708x3716) Image search: [Google]
twitter johns is normal.png
3 MB, 708x3716
>>12376303

The real problem is that all of the talent goes to Image or indie books, because why the fuck would you waste your time being jerked around by editors and give up the rights to your ideas? Brubaker told Marvel to go fuck itself once he got a good deal from Image to do all of the noir books he could handle.
>>
File: youtube on g reco.png (18 KB, 855x110) Image search: [Google]
youtube on g reco.png
18 KB, 855x110
>>12376287

Just don't read the comments on G-Reco for your own sanity.
>>
>>12375971
Mecha is fairly popular in the west. Problem is a lot of the tropes of the mecha genre don't really work and kind of fall flat.

Look at how popular Transformers and Pacific Rim and Avatar and the sentinels from the X-Men are. There is a real hunger for major robot action and sci-fi.
Hell the avengers 2 is going to make the box office almost beg for giant robot action.
>>
That's not true. I like popular stuff, but I especially tend to like the shows that were shown to spics, frogs and dagos.

For example, I enjoy Mazinger (actually found that one on my own due to Araki), and also DBZ and Saint Seiya. Yanks might not have gotten the same anime as I got while growing up, but that don't make them unpopular. I don't give a shit about Wing and Eva simply because I didn't watch them as a kid. Transformers is another one I grew up with, and I find the bayformers movie enjoyable in their own right. So don't lecture /m/ on being hipster because that's simply not true. We just want the stuff that we grew up with to be more popular, that is all.
>>
>>12375993
>what makes a character good.
According to some threads here it would be their kill count.
>>
File: 1427656888111.jpg (49 KB, 406x390) Image search: [Google]
1427656888111.jpg
49 KB, 406x390
>>12375971
>You wish that mecha were a more popular genre,
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>12377135
that's a rare pepe, why would you post it here?
>>
>>12375978
Neither of those were popular. VVV was nearly a bomb.
>>
>yet have a strong private club mentality
What do you mean? People here are eager to give recommendations and get more people watching our cartoons.
>>
>>12375971
How did you get past the Captcha?
>>
File: basedsunrise.gif (848 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
basedsunrise.gif
848 KB, 640x360
>>12377308
Fuck off back to R9K
>>
>>12377815
Why is she a powerpuff girl?
>>
It's okay to be popular, as long it's not TOO popular.
>>
>>12377855
Because Japan loves PPG.
>>
>>12376021
Agreed.

>>12376058
It would be nice for a change if I went to a Gundam thread, and this shit wasn't here. Unfortunately, I don't see No Zaku/Char is a pedo jokes going anywhere.
>>
>>12376326
You should post Johns' cereal adventure too.
>>
>>12377569
VVV did bomb, hard. Like Buddy Complex hard.
>>
>>12376086
This.

Whenever something goes mainstream integrity is lost for mass appeal. Case in point: Gundam.
>>
>>12376344
I honestly don't think they're stupid. They're acting stupid, but I believe it's merely the result of almost consciously refusing to think things through and their "hardware" is no more insufficient that average.

The easy of access to just... exploding a vomity diarrhea of words out into the void for all to see, and the speed at which the internet has conditioned people to expect a return, has led to viewers just refusing to consider the implications of a series in full. Instead they just stupidly asking a question whenever something they can't immediately parse with stereotypical plots

4chan is an excellent example of this. Not just on /m/, but for several series and recap threads anons and just jumped in and asked a question about the episode as soon as something came up, rather than waiting to see if the episode would address it. How many times have anons had to be told to "read the thread" or "google it numbnuts?"

I suppose it's not necessarily more intrinsically common or encouraged by our society and technology today, though many would argue it is. But it's certainly much easier to notice.
>>
>>12378069
No, it didn't.
>>
>>12378069

It sold nearly 10,000 volumes across both seasons.

Seeing how the threshold for breaking even is around three to four thousand, no, it did not bomb, as much as its hatred is an epic meme on this board.

Considering that BC sold above that threshold number, too, it didn't bomb either, really.
>>
>>12381600

Actually, no, scratch just 10,000. Total sales of all volumes across both seasons amount to 62,501 units.

So yeah, to say it bombed is a tad erroneous.
>>
>>12375971
/m/ isn't a hivemind
>>
>>12376024
>Kira's fuck toy
>Good
>>
id rather have niche shows than popular ones tbh. the only reason anything because popular is because lowest common denominator. id rather watch something like a small love letter than something advertised to hell.
>>
>>12381600
That's weird. Why didn't they do a real second season of BC then?

Is it safe to say that rather than sales, it was executive fuckery?
>>
>>12382379

Maybe they just never intended to make a second season and thought that the OVA ending was good enough.

Always that.
>>
>>12375971
Kids still buy robot toys everywhere else in east asia besides Japan it seems.
>>
Since when does /m/ hate Knights of Sidonia?
>>
>>12375971
No one cares about popularity itself. We just want good shows. If a good show brings in more people, we have to deal with the people. Now a lot of times people who care not about the genre and just bandwagons onto the show are what we call casuals, and those who are not willing to go deeper into the genre remain casuals. Those who uses these shows to go about their own agenda -- SJWs, fearmongers, idiots in general -- are the ones truly hated.

If being interested and knowledgeable about a genre make us elitist, I guess we all have "a strong private club mentality" about our own dicks
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.