[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So about Brain Powerd -
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 21
File: Nelly-Brain.jpg (64 KB, 399x700) Image search: [Google]
Nelly-Brain.jpg
64 KB, 399x700
So, some guy bitching earlier about Brain Powerd being forgotten earlier made me want to try out the first episode.
This doesn't seem too bad, I mean yeah it chucks terminology at you with reckless abandon, but I don't really see how that's any different from most Tomino shows.

Does it turn to shit later or something?

(Also, the mech design is swell, I love it.)
>>
>>12364124
Nope, Brain Powerd's great. Weird, but great. Also don't expect them to explain what a B-Plate is any time soon.
>>
>>12364124
>B-Plate
Brain plates, right? Those CDs that get wooooshed out of evil alien super sea-monster land and become sentient rabots and go reaalllly fast and blow shit up on impact, right?

I remember tidbits from J.
>>
>>12364161
Nah, Plates and B-Plates are two different things.

Plates spawn Grand Chers and Brain Powereds, and B-Plates are a mysterious mcguffin that nobody clearly defines until right at the end, and all you know about them is that Orphan wants them.
>>
It's better than what you'd think, like Tomino's take on EVA. The only bad thing about it is the animation.

Also damn dat opening.
>>
>>12364179
>Grand Chers and Brain Powereds
Wait, both kinds? How do they know which to spawn?

Are Brains from raw plates and GC from modified plates?
>>
So really, how does it compare to other post Victory Tomino?
Between King Gainer, Turn A, Wings of Rean, G-Reco, I've only really heard bad things about BP.
>>
Brain Powereds had the best nonwhite girls
Also Kanan is best girl
>>
>>12364124
Brain Powerd's main problem is that it withholds a lot of important information until the last arc. But its really not that bad.
>>
>>12364262
You've seriously never heard bad things about Wings of Rean?
>>
>>12364364
Woops. I meant to say I've only heard UNANIMOUSLY bad things about Brain Poop. I have heard some people defend Rean.

I fucking hated Wings of Rean. I don't use that word lightly, I HATED it. It has probably one of my favorite waifus of all time though. Lyukus is incredibly high tier.

Anyway, can anyone explain the ending theme? All about being fucked silly on a silk bed of roses all night long while naked bitches fly everywhere

Absolutely batshit
>>
>>12364398
>ending theme
Opening* theme, woops.
>>
>>12364398
Yeah, I'm a really easy to please guy and basically all I liked about Wings was the ending theme.

Anyway, BP's got kind of a cult following. Except it can't even be considered that because it's just a small handful of people who have even watched it, much less like it. A big problem with it is that it gets a lot better as you watch it and things start to click and make sense, but it's so fucking weird (literally from the OP on) to begin with that people are immediately turned off.
>>
File: Classy Kanan.png (827 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Classy Kanan.png
827 KB, 720x540
>>12364124
Best comedy anime of all time
watch with the dub for best results
>>
File: LIFESUNNNNf.jpg (51 KB, 756x669) Image search: [Google]
LIFESUNNNNf.jpg
51 KB, 756x669
>>12364467
>watch with the dub for best results
I-I feel like you're giving me bad advice. I am slightly scared.
>>
>>12364467
maybe the bike was too small
>>
File: help.png (758 KB, 1025x768) Image search: [Google]
help.png
758 KB, 1025x768
uh, guys
Uh
I was following it exactly up until this point, no surprises, and just...what?

At least I know this is a series where Sochie finally gets to win the MCBowl.
>>
>>12365056
Yuu is a 100% bonafide legitimate autist.

And they're my fucking OTP.
>>
File: jvty uvbi.png (30 KB, 183x191) Image search: [Google]
jvty uvbi.png
30 KB, 183x191
>>12365083
>Yuu is a 100% bonafide legitimate autist
I cannot contain my excitement
I had no idea this was so...this, I mean, what do I say?

-seriously, I had no idea, but I think this series might have been made SPECIFICALLY for me.
I'm in love.
>>
>>12365083
Jonathan is a 100% based motherfucker and sisterfucker
>>
File: MAXIMUM OVER-BUTTHURT.png (394 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM OVER-BUTTHURT.png
394 KB, 704x480
The more I watch
The more I love
>>
>>12364189
>like Tomino's take on EVA
Brain Powerd really has nothing to do with Eva at all.
>>
>>12364199
It's random as to which one will spawn. The primary difference is that Grand Chers are Orphan affiliated and Brain Powerds don't like Orphan.
>>
>>12365121
Jonathan also has a GOAT mother
>>
>>12364189
They were in production at the same time, and neither was aware of the other until after everything was set up.

The only thing they have in common are bio-robots and daddy issues (the later of which Anno was already stealing from Tomino)
>>
>>12365360
Don't forget that its message is completely different than EVAs.

Shit, it's almost the polar opposite.
>>
So, I said this in the other thread by accident, but is the OST as good as I think it is? It's...orgasmic. Yoko Kanno bretty gud.
Yugo Kanno not a very good replacement.
>>
>>12365056
>Sochie loses to the queen of the moon
>That chick in Mars Daybreak loses to a somehow even shittier Reccoa clone
At least Hime was a good character. Even if she was further off her rocker than most people in the show.
>>
>>12364189
>like Tomino's take on EVA

That was a misconception, which Tomino admitted would be an inevitable comparison since Eva came out while Brain Powered was in production.
>>
>>12365121

See that was the best thing about that

When Jonathan says "I fucked your sister", Yuu is basically like "well that upsets me a bit, but she's a grown woman and it's her decision who she sleeps with."

Then Jonathan says "and your mom" and Yuu just fucking snaps.
>>
File: walking furniture.jpg (208 KB, 730x935) Image search: [Google]
walking furniture.jpg
208 KB, 730x935
Everything Nagano has ever designed has been a downward spiral after Brain Powerd. What the fuck happened to him?
>>
>>12365422
And it's sad, really, the Brain Powerd designs are just SO GORGEOUS
>>
>>12365422

He went crazy.

No really, that's what happened.
>>
>>12364189
>Also damn dat opening.
yeah, it's totally a tease to have an R-rated opening on a pg rated show. I don't think there was any nudity in the actual series. They could have shown it on toonami, if it weren't, y'know, totally insane.
>>
File: 68769[1].jpg (20 KB, 225x251) Image search: [Google]
68769[1].jpg
20 KB, 225x251
>>12364124
Brain Powerd has ear cancer voice acting and lots of unexplained plot points along the way.

And then there's the characters. They're completely unlikeable.

It also makes me cringe that a a hotblooded MC could've wrapped up the entire plot in 5 episodes flat by charging into Orphen, slapping Yuu's mother, fucking her in the ass like the kinky slut she is, and then commanding her to stop trying to destroy the world. Heck, Yuu could've done it himself if he wasn't such a fag.

Anyway, it's Tomino's take on Eva and Eva actually wins out in terms of overall entertainment value. As always, Tomino's creations tend to be heavy on artsy metaphoricism.

However, the sentient fembots themselves are still sexy as fuck. They're the one thing Brain Powerd has going for it. Also Nakki. Mechfus love the Nakki. He even has his own harem. Living the dream, amirite?
>>
>>12365789
>voice acting
Now that you mention it, Sochie's voice acting does seem really...wooden.
>>
>>12365789
>Being this wrong about everything.
>>
>>12368063
Sure do love the basic
>lelelurwrongfgt
Responses. Doesn't even bother listing a reason
>>
>>12365609
There was that focus episode that showef off Higgins' bare chest so we could see that plot related rose tattoo (I don't even remember what was the point of it)
>>
>>12365789
>It also makes me cringe that a a hotblooded MC could've wrapped up the entire plot in 5 episodes flat by charging into Orphen, slapping Yuu's mother, fucking her in the ass like the kinky slut she is, and then commanding her to stop trying to destroy the world. Heck, Yuu could've done it himself if he wasn't such a fag.
Do I really need to offer a breakdown of how dumb half your post is for you to acknowledge it?
>>
>>12364467
Why is Kanan the best girl?
>>
>>12368188
You were the one who implied Yuu should have fucked his mother.
>>
>>12368358
To be fair, with the sheer amount of crazy mommy issues in that show, maybe "fuck your own mother" could have been a valid solution for a lot of the characters, you never know.
>>
Do the characters have really big hands or are they just a feature of their pilot suit
>>
>>12368358
I didn't post that, I just don't like it when I see people half-ass a retort in place of an actual argument and pretend or proves anything.
>>
>>12368457
Pilot suits kinda goofy
Do they not have helmets, though?
It really makes sense in this context, I mean if they're underwater and they get a leak they'll likely drown
>>
>>12368484
>goofy
Poofy*, woops
>>
Who did the mecha designs?
>>
>>12368494
Oh fucking come on man
Seriously
I mean look at them
God
>>
>>12368462
My point is his post is utter bullshit and not worth refuting.

But because this is 4chan,
>The voice acting is fine,
>The characters are par for a Tomino show.
>Hime was already hot blooded.
>Neither Tomino or Anno were aware of each others show until both were finished production.
>What sentient fuckbots?

The posted is ignorant and has no taste.
>>
>>12368540
:^)
>>
>>12368569
)-:<
>>
>>12368492
It still was 100% accurate.
>>
>>12368623
Like everything in the show, it's just so OUT THERE
Which makes for a fun watch really.
>>
>>12365138
Take that to Tomino
>>
>>12365410
Jonathan is a successful Jerid.
>>
>>12368680
I'e been told You is autistic, and he has blue hair - is he Kamille?
>>
>>12368690
>Yuu*
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>12364124
Its another series that people will say is great for its distinctiveness than its execution or quality. Its not highly praised even amongst Tomino followers and its charm falls deeply into Narm category. It alongside Arjuna from Kawamori are worth a look due to how incredibly weird and surreal they are with what they try to say and what transpires but its poor reception is justified much like Wings of Rean and Grazey's Wing.
>>
>>12368712
Arjuna seemed pretty straightforward in its message

I liked it
>>
>>12365410
That's kind of a reasonable reaction to both instances though.
>>
>>12369121
Didn't he know that his parents' marriage was just for convenience?
>>
File: tumblr_nec5qfvX0W1rz10qqo1_500.png (185 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nec5qfvX0W1rz10qqo1_500.png
185 KB, 500x281
>>12369102
>Liking Arjuna
>>
>>12369170
I watched it many years ago; must be muh nostalgia
It also made me a vegetarian for a month or so after watching
>>
>>12369189
>vegetarian for a month or so after watching
Hahahahaha, that's actually really funny
I could see why, though
If humans weren't naturally omnivores that depended on animal protein for nutrients maybe I would do the same
>>
>>12369124

That doesn't really mean you ever want to hear that some guy is plowing your mom.
>>
>>12369214
Hey, man, some people are all about that kind of thing.
>>
>>12369440
He seemed to be more bothered by the fact Johnathan was two-timing with people related to him.
>>
>>12369214
>Hey Yuu, I fucked your mom and sister.
>Really? So did my father and I. Did you bang your own mother, too?
>You're damn right I did.
>Nice. Drinks later?
>You bet, kiddo

It's not often that being a literal mother fucker would've actually improved an MC and forged a friendship with a man who would've otherwise been his rival.

I'm not sure if that says something about the hack writing, shit characters or both.
>>
>>12370873
>hack writing, shit characters
You seem to feel strongly about this. Tell me in detail what you feel about Brain Powers, Tomino, maybe even the state of the anime industry in general.
>>
>>12365371
>Shit, it's almost the polar opposite.

So according to BP, it's a good thing to run away from society and just live an empty life all day, every day...? Sounds to me like you misinterpreted both animes pretty hard man.
>>
>>12370904
>Tell me in detail what you feel about Brain Powers, Tomino, maybe even the state of the anime industry in general

"hack writing, shit characters"
>>
>>12371087
I see your point, though I did say "In DETAIL".
Though there's probably not much of a point.
>>
So what the fuck is Yuu's problem?
"Hey, bro, want to join the Novis Noah and take the fight to Orphan?"
"Lel fuck you guys I'll do it on my own and prove that your entire ship is a waste of tax-dollars"

Seriously,, is he just Kamille?
>>
File: unsound assholes.jpg (291 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
unsound assholes.jpg
291 KB, 1600x900
>>12371102
Is there really any more to say? The characters are stereotypical, cliched and formulaic due to the industry's ever increasing need to pander to the lowest common denominator. Even Tomino himself, Mr. Artsy McKill'em-all, is rehashing the same pseudo-pacifistic ADULTS ARE EVIL crap that he's been peddling for over three decades.

As for the anime that break the mold, they tend to do so for the sake of MUH EDGE or MUH MELODRAMA. It just doesn't seem like the production climate nowadays is capable of churning out an enjoyable, well written series that's more than just political propaganda or demographic pandering.

Where we used to have a Godannar here, a Gravion there and some Tengen Toppa with a side of Gurren Lagann, we're lucky to get even one mecha anime a year that isn't a vehicle for pushing some sort of pretentious social message about how certain people aren't living their lives the correct way.

I just want the stone-age moral crusaders to retire, so that the middle-age assholes can make great anime again like they used to.
>>
>>12371187
And why the fuck does he keep kissing Hime?

I get that it's the quickest way to shut her up, but how in the world is that his first response?
>>
>>12371187
Yes. Tomino is an unoriginal hack who's been riding high on the hog of inventing the real robot genre. Even his most recent MC is just a rehash of Uso.
>>
File: 1366263498783[1].jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1366263498783[1].jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>12371212
>how in the world is that his first response?
>>
>>12371212
He licked her face once.
This whole scene was hilarious. Tomino being a cunninlingus man couldn't get more evident that the rope chewing bit.
>>
>>12371190
You know, I didn't really expect you to respond, I was just trying to push your buttons. That said, I totally get where you're coming from and pretty much feel the same way.

>As for the anime that break the mold, they tend to do so for the sake of MUH EDGE or MUH MELODRAMA
I really do wonder if there's an actual literary term for narratives entirely built around TWEEEEESTS besides Trainwreck. Maybe it just falls under "juvenile, sophomoric drivel". Becauese that's as "mold-breaking" as you're going to get in recent years.

>It just doesn't seem like the production climate nowadays is capable of churning out an enjoyable, well written series that's more than just political propaganda or demographic pandering
Sad. Very sad.
>>
>>12371245
>>12371241
Every second I think I fall more in love with Yuu.

Because he makes no goddamn sense. His actions are unjustifiable because there's no human logic behind them. Every second, every line he might be a new character out of nowhere.

IT's like Kamille, less violent and even less predictable with a penchant for Kissing instead of punching.
It's fucking great.

>>12371228
>Even his most recent MC is just a rehash of Uso.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but I can see it now. Mostly because Usso is about as engaging, likable or identifiable as cardboard.
>>
File: itsthelittlethings.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
itsthelittlethings.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>12371245
>>
>>12371368
>How about using your hands?
Holy fuck I can't this scene I just can't jesus
>>
>>12365422
He got mad people were actually capable of making Mortar Headd models.
>>
>>12371443
What does he have against models anyway? I love toys. If I could draw robots I would want all of them to have toys so I could get them all.
>>
>>12371731
You don't question the Nagano, it just triggers his autism.
>>
>>12368288
Go for it faggot. I could use a good laugh.
>>
>>12368553
>The characters are par for a Tomino show.

Exactly, they are shit.
>>
>>12368712
>>12369102
>liking a show where the central message is that humanity should stop farming and forming civilizations, and should regress to a nomadic hunter/gather life style because muh earth

I pray that this is just bad bait.
>>
>>12371993
>billions of people now having to survive only on hunting and gathering
Yup, that's be the best thing to ever happen to nature and all the animal/vegetal species around.
>>
>>12372035
You're forgetting the brutal resource-wars that will water the fruits of nature in a sea of human blood.

Tomino is either really naive, or a stealth Joker who wants to watch the world burn.
>>
>>12372269
You know, I want to make a joke about you being Vindel Mauser in disguise before conceding you have a point, but goddamn, man, at least pretend to know what you're talking about. They're referring to Arjuna, which is Kawamori.
>>
>>12372269
Aren't we talking about Arjuna?
>>
>>12371368
Still my favorite fucking scene in the show.
>>
>>12371368
Holy shit, that's some big ass hands.
>>12371289
>Mostly because Usso is about as engaging, likable or identifiable as cardboard.
That kid will still rekt you in vidya game, m8.
>>
>>12372329
>That kid will still rekt you in vidya game, m8
Part of the reason he's so dull - he's just that good, and he stays the invincible savant all the way through the series. Not to say he doesn't lose quite a few times, but generally he's just not very interesting.
>>
>>12372347
When you are that good, you can afford to not be interesting.

That kid is just damn good.
>>
>>12372405
By this logic, Onii-sama from Mahouka is a riveting protagonist.
>>
>>12372483
Never watch that show so I can't comment.
>>
>>12372502
Fair enought. Anyway, just because a character is talented or powerful or whatever, does not mean that they will personally be endearing or interesting.
>>
>>12364398
Am I the only one who likes Wings of Rean? I'm watching it right now. I think it's really non sensical, but I think it's genuinely different and interesting. People say they hate the animation, but I like it. I definitely can't say Wings is a good anime in any stretch of the word but I'm surprised by the amount of hate it gets too.
>>
>>12372717
Being good at something is already worthy of endearing.

Hate the man for who he is, but never hate his skills.
>>
>>12372841
I liked it when I was watching it.
Then I got to the entire last two episodes.

Then I got to the ENDING.
>>
>>12371976
What did Tomino characters ever do to you anyway?
>>
>>12371443
>he got mad

More like he went THIS ISNT EVEN MY FINAL FORM and grew translucent armour.
>>
Baron Maximillian did nothing wrong
>>
>>12375243
More like casted off all the existing armor

Seriously, all of his designs turned into spooky scary skellytons
It's awful
>>
File: fssfatima.jpg (2 MB, 4306x6352) Image search: [Google]
fssfatima.jpg
2 MB, 4306x6352
>>12376942
And that doesn't end with the mechas.
>>
>>12376942

Anon, the first "IM INVINCIBLE NOW" upgrade was the translucend armour.

He tried going skinny around the same time with the Super Empire Chevalier's mechs and some dude made a GK of it, no problem.
>>
>>12376987
Costume design: not too bad
Face, hair, expressions: seem fine nothing too silly
Proportions: AAAAHHHHHHHH
>>
>>12377382
>Creepy biocomputer cyborg waifu
>looking wierd

Yeah...
>>
File: nagano-interview-2.jpg (333 KB, 2000x1427) Image search: [Google]
nagano-interview-2.jpg
333 KB, 2000x1427
>>12371731
>What does he have against models anyway?

He used to work with Sunrise and did a lot of Gundam designs that got rejected because they weren't viable as plastic models or fit in with the usual "Gundam aesthetic". That's why he got so butthurt at Turn A's design- he felt like Bandai was giving him the middle finger by making a Gundam show with a non-Gundam design that wasn't his.

Of course, internally he adores it as a design because he's a huge Syd Mead cocksucker.
>>
>>12376987
>>12377382
It's not that he CAN'T draw people, he did do character designs for Zeta (Haman, Yazan, Syrup, etc) and ZZ. It's just that he likes drawing noodle people more for whatever reason.
>>
-So I'm around episode 4 of BP, and the musiv is phenomenal, but I have to say - is it kind of poorly utilized often?
Just feeling like the music doesn't really fit the scenes it's in.
>>
File: this fucking autist.png (354 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
this fucking autist.png
354 KB, 704x480
And seriously, this fucking guy
>Did you kiss her?
>>
>>12378462
The funny thing is, he's still the sanest person in his entire family plus everyone who is/was in the Reclaimers faction by a huge margin.
>>
>>12364124
I love Brainpowerd.
>>
Its like poetry...
>>
>>12378550
That's what I'm kinda getting from around where I am now- it seems the show is trying to portray the Reclaimers as a group of jackass egomaniacs bottled up at the bottom of the ocean who are insane - not just lolTomino kind of weird, I mean actually REALLY FUCKING BATSHIT CRAZY
COOCOO FOR COCO PUFFS, CRAZY

And considering from what it seems they're trying to do (raise up a crazy Alien spaceship from the bottom of the ocea, killing ALL LIFE on Earth except the "chosen ones"), I really wonder how based Kanan managed to stay sane, seeign as she's normal as fuck.
>>
>>12378696
Haha, just wait till you find out who the Govenor is.
>>
>>12378752
>Haha, just wait till you find out who Baron is.
FTFY
Best Char of all space and time.
>>
>>12378770
Personally, once I found out who the Governor was, I immediately realised who Baron was. Still really great though.
>>
Loved the show, but what was up with this episode?
Quincy/Iiko quantum-leaped into her grandma's past or what?
>>
So for the people who've watched the series, who is best girl?
I'm thinking Kanan at the moment.
Is she supposed to be the Fa? Or maybe Fa mixed with Rosamia?
I really don't know.
>>
>>12379139
>who is best girl?
>>
>>12379170
Wait what
How and why, explain yourself
>>
>>12379139
I'm a big fan of Hime, but Kanan's great.

I also dig crazy chicks so naturally Quincy is high up on my list too.
>>
>>12379285
Crazy science lady with messy hair whose first reaction when seeing a BP was to steal it and go straight to Orphan for science. I love it.
>>
>>12379413
>whose first reaction when seeing a BP was to steal it and go straight to Orphan for science
>FOR SCIENCE
Now when you say it like that I can see the appeal

By the way, her introduction was one of the things that sold me on the show
Yuu pointing a gun at her head and she just fucking walks away to steal his mech, it was great
>>
>>12379139
Anoa is the best girl
>>
>>12365380
It might be my favorite OST
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.