[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Monster of the Week format outdated? Should it be discarded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: Roidmude029[1].png (164 KB, 400x511) Image search: [Google]
Roidmude029[1].png
164 KB, 400x511
Is the Monster of the Week format outdated? Should it be discarded in the name of new, different approaches to storytelling? Or should it remain?
>>
Its the execution that matters, not the format.
>>
>ep 1 encounter monster, flees shortly after
>ep 2 plot moves on

There's no suspense, it's predictable, and boring as fuck. Which is exactly what Drive feels like.
>>
>>11693395
So far it seems Drive is taking a spin on the format in Kabuto.
>ep 1 encounter monsters, kill one of them
>ep 2 Kill main boss
>>
>>11693395
>predictable monsters got destroyed
are you retard?
>>
>>11693437
And by format of Kabuto I mean, Every episode at least 1 unique monster dies.
>>
>>11693289

Monster of the week is a symptom of a larger inadequacy in the show.

Monster of the Week format means that your plot doesn't matter. You villains don't matter. The fights don't matter. The big bad stays on the sidelines cryptically and never does anything until the very last arc of the show, and all of the evil beings that the protagonist meets before then exist purely to die.

Monster of the Week, by design, means that for the majority of the show the only thing that matters is that the show exists, not that it has any content worth watching. If you can take a 50 episode MotW show, and cut out 35 episodes in the middle that just had episodic bullshit that didn't significantly advance anything else, thats not great writing.
>>
I kind of hope Drive fucks up at one point and one of the roimudes become a greater villain, like Chase, heart and brain.
>>
>>11694027
There's some that can use MotW to their advantage.
For an unconventional example, look at Utena. The fights are paced so that there's one every episode up until the end where shit gets real. So when the show starts to shake things up you really start to feel like things are outside the norm.
Plus each episode had character development along the way.
>>
Well, the shows are made for like 6 y/o kids, so they have to be easily accessible. The monster of the week format works the best, because you can just jump in and enjoy it. This was also Tsuburayas intention to create Ultra Q and Ultraman, he wanted to do Toho-style movies packed into a half-hour format.

But I think the 50-episode format is outdated... most of the time nearly half of those episodes are just slow, decompressed or filler. I'd rather watch 26-episode short seasons, that are told more tight and crisp.
>>
>>11694347
I think doing just 26 episodes is a bad idea for a series like Kamen Rider. It will throw the scheduling for a loop.
>>
>>11694369

Yea, production-wise it would be a problem for Toei/Bandai to fill the year (producing two Rider or Sentai-shows a year is prolly too expensive). At best they could switch between Rider and Sentai... half a year Kamen Rider, once it finished Sentai takes over timeslot for another half year, and so on.

I havent watched KR in a while, but I think around Kabuto they introduced the 2-parter format. So if you would just cut out all the filler-crap in those episodes and put them together into standalone episodes (I think 4Kids did something similar with Ultraman Tiga), you would still end up with the same story told but only half as much episodes.
>>
>>11694418
But then you miss a lot of the fun stuff that happens in between.
>>
>>11694423
Like the weird doll episodes.
>>
>>11693289
This seriously smacks of Gaimbabby.

>>11694418
They've been using the 2-parter format as far back as Agito (probably even Kuuga, but my memory's fuzzy). It's nothing new to tell the story over two episodes.
>>
File: Omnomnom-490x275.png (173 KB, 490x275) Image search: [Google]
Omnomnom-490x275.png
173 KB, 490x275
>>11693395
Two-parters only work in detective/cop shows, as demonstrated with W and Drive.

Any other setting, you get this.
>>
>>11694443
Kabuto was just random really.
>>
>>11694423

I would gladly do without all the coffee-tachi-san stuff.
>>
I'm pretty new to kamen rider and recently finished den-o. I was surprised how long it stuck to the monster of the week formula and the main villain was introduced like what 40 episodes in. How many of rider shows are like this?
>>
>>11694027
>Monster of the week is a symptom of a larger inadequacy in the show.

No, it's a different type of show. MoTW is created for episodic series and extends far beyond cartoons or toku. Episodic shows always have "problem of the week" formats. It's simply better for syndication, especially for long running shows. It's easier for newcomers and non-committed viewers to enjoy the program.

Get a brain
>>
File: 46381867_p0.jpg (634 KB, 1381x1356) Image search: [Google]
46381867_p0.jpg
634 KB, 1381x1356
I think I prefer monster of the week VS a couple of non-disposable bad guys and dozens upon dozens of disposable minions. That way you get interesting new designs and potentially cool action scenes based around new monsters potential gimmicks.

You could always make it so every individual bad guy was very important, but that A) Wouldn't make for any good 1 VS many fight scenes and B) Would be a poor fit for a 50 episode order of a show.

>>11694027
This reads to me like the logic of people who think that the characterization or spectacle-centric Cowboy Bebop episodes are "filler." I won't deny that having a monster of the week setup can be a recipe for a lot of dumb shit, but if all you care about is what happens with the plot, you probably shouldn't be watching a show about karate bugmen designed to sell toys in the first place
>>
>>11694518
None. Most of the other shows introduce the main villain in the very first episode, or at least a few episodes later. The only other shows I recall where they introduce the main villain extremely late in are Gaim (which was more due to it being an Urobuchi show), possibly Wizard (I stopped at episode 28 or so, but apparently there's a "major" plot twist shortly after), and Agito to a degree.

Den-O is an aberration since the producers decided to focus more on the Imagin than on the plot once they realized just how popular they were.
>>
>>11694658
Kobayashi tend to drag the MOTW stuff and leave the plot until the 40s episodes
>>
>>11694665
People keep saying this but Kobayashi is not known for any more MotW or filler than others. What throws everyone off is that she drops a lot of plot stuff around early on (more than just the standard villain introductions) and then they trail off until the endgame. It gets their hopes up for a lot of heavy, steady plot progression compared to other shows, where it's really only the case for the first and last quarter / fifth or so. That said, even her "filler" in the middle has the occasional hint or reveal.
>>
>>11694443
>Gaimbabby.

You'd have to be an excellent retard to deny Gaim's format wasn't a much needed breath of fresh air.
>>
>>11693289
MOTW is a tool. It can be done well, and it can be done poorly.
>>
>>11694443
>They've been using the 2-parter format as far back as Agito
It was used during most of V3
>>
>>11694543
>ut if all you care about is what happens with the plot, you probably shouldn't be watching a show about karate bugmen designed to sell toys in the first place
Fucking this, people get too serious when judging toku plots.
>>
>>11694658
Gaim introduced the main villain in episode 1.
Wizard did so in the first half They are the White Wizard/Wiseman and that murderer whose name I forgot
And Agito introduced it on the first bunch of episodes.
>>
>>11694687
Gaim was basically just a Kamen Rider wrapper for the Standard Urobuchi Story. He tells the same story in literally all of his works, just with different settings.

I had fun watching it, but it wasn't the end-all be-all of Kamen Rider like certain people want it to be. It was more plot-driven than character-driven, which did make it different, but the characters were nothing special that you couldn't extract out of countless other types of works.

And seriously, anything coming after Wizard would be a breath of fresh air. Would you say the same thing if Gaim had aired after Double, or Os?
>>
>>11694716
You're judging Gaim as a work in the general spectrum of tv shows, the other anon meant is a breath of fresh air specifically for Kamen Rider.
>>
>>11694716
Explain how Gargantia is the same story as Gaim.
>>
I feel like OP is a newfag
>>
>>11694723
Not Urobuchi. He just wrote a couple of episodes.
>>
>>11694732
>Just rider shit
sasuga, /m/
>>
>>11694418
>I think 4Kids did something similar with Ultraman Tiga

I've not seen the 4Kids Tiga dub since it aired, but this in addition to it being a gag dub sounds fucking awful.

Mostly because Tiga is most 90% percent standalone episodes. How the hell do you do this without making it seem disjointed as fuck?
>>
Anyone ever tried a hero of the week?
>>
>>11694998
>generic reply spiteful towards toku
sasuga newfag
>>
>>11699096
>Villain is too powerful
>series which covers multiple time periods
>ends with every hero coming back and teaming up to take down the villain
Yes, I need this in my veins.
>>
>>11699096
That's basically a rouguelike. Would be a neat concept.
>>
>>11699096
Dail H sort of.
Ben 10 to a much lesser extent.
>>
I don't think there's anything wrong with MotW, there just needs to be important things happening as well (and more than just getting new power-ups). The bad guys also need a reason for having small fights versus a full-on war. I think GoBusters did it decently, where the MotW were small enemies designed to aid Enter's Enetron-stealing missions. They didn't have the ability to send them all in at once.

Outside of that, I think the two-episode MotW is the most harmful form. It means that you can go into half the episodes knowing the plot will not be resolved until next time. Multi-parters should be for bigger, more special events.
>>
>>11694027
Bullshit. OOO was MotW-based and the big villains were always around, having struggles for power and mind games.
>>
What show did MotW best? I vote for Agito or OOO
>>
>>11693444
>And by format of Kabuto I mean, Every episode at least 1 unique monster dies
Not even close.
>>
>>11694223
He will and they will.

Personally, I'm waiting for Drive to use Slowdown.
>>
>>11699428
If you have two monsters with slightly different suits and one of them is killed, while the other survives to be killed in the following week, it still counts as killing an unique monster.
>>
>>11699472
Even if one of those monsters show up two episodes later? And in every episode after that?

Most of what Kabuto and Drive kill are mooks.
>>
>>11694716
>Would you say the same thing if Gaim had aired after Double, or Os?

Yes.

a) People liking Gaim had very little to do with Wizard. If the quality of the previous show determined how people responded to the current show then why is Decade following in the wake of Kiva considered such a terrible show that it's ranked alongside Wizard/Kiva.

b) I would absolutely consider Gaim a breath of fresh air following W or OOO. It got rid of not just the two-parters, but also the MOTW and returned to the multiple Rider format and devoted the bulk of its time to a serialized storyline with Rider vs Rider conflicts.

If anything it would have been a better followup imo to W than OOO was.
>>
File: SpiderWorms.jpg (87 KB, 892x566) Image search: [Google]
SpiderWorms.jpg
87 KB, 892x566
>>11699480
>Most of what Kabuto and Drive kill are mooks.

Not really. Kabuto didn't just kill the grunt worms. He killed actual evolved ones, it's just that there'd also be a worm with a similar design popping up in the next episode.

Like in this picture, Kabuto kills the red one in episode 1 and the yellow one in episode 2. That was the pattern that most of the show followed. Sometimes they worked together and one of them escaped, but other times they were completely unrelated.

It's different from Drive so far where the early kills have always been grunts.
>>
File: 1310009216531.jpg (38 KB, 490x689) Image search: [Google]
1310009216531.jpg
38 KB, 490x689
>>11693289
>having to spend hours on end just to get through a single arc

I'd rather not. Pic related.
>>
>>11699533
But W is better than Gaim. They are different though, I'll grant you that.
>>
>>11694445
it worked well for OOO.
so you're telling me Wizard sucked? Cause that first form Henshin is sexy as fuck
>>
>>11699865
Did you forget the episode where the catlady yummy manage to stop Sagozo's finisher?
That was the breaking point where two-parters clearly worn out their welcome.
>>
What new, different approach to storytelling that they can use?
>>
What else are you expecting them to do for 50 episodes?
I find clashes that end up getting postponed and delayed, between main characters a lot more irritating than a satisfying MOTW battle.
But then you have two parters, which are like the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>11694027
Bullshit, Big O was a MotW and if you're telling me the plot and villains don't matter in that one you're dumb.

Monster Of The Week is about execution of the plot at large, using the monster as a way to drum up conflict each week to keep things exciting.

>>11699915
A good two parter can be done very well, if the monster/s is/are particularly threatening and there's big shit going down. But it's easy to fuck up too.
>>
>>11700000
The second season despite being motw had a serialized story versus a much more episodic first season. But that was due to the first season being the work of multiple writers while season 2 was entirely all written by Kanaka.
>>
>>11694445
It worked for fourze in the early
"Let's figure this shit out scooby doo style" days
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.