[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Southern Gothic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: helplessnessblues.jpg (136 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
helplessnessblues.jpg
136 KB, 600x600
Give me recs please. Not faulkner.
>>
Carson McCullers
>>
Flannery O'Connor.
>>
Tennessee Williams
>>
>>8288893
other voices other rooms by truman capote
>>
>>8288924
This. Go for 'The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter'
>>
>>8288893
The author spent his first 30 years of adulthood as a factory worker on the west virginia-kentucky line.

Excellent work.
>>
>>8289092
his collection of short stories Knockemstiff, Ohio, is pretty good as well. Not sure if it counts as southern gothic, but it's close.
>>
Go Down, Moses
>>
>>8288893
Robert Edmond Alter
cross between southern gothic and hardboiled crime.

And early Cormac McCarthy
>>
>>8288924
>>8289074
Is other Carson McCullers worth reading?
>>
>>8289922
All of it, yes.
>>
>>8289960
Her last book got bad reviews though... Have you actually read them all? I was thinking about getting the Library of America edition of her works.
>>
>>8290138
LoA editions are always super comfy. I haven't read that much of hers, but I'd buy the book just because it looks/smells/feels so great. It even sounds great, as you're flicking through those wafer-thin pages. NNNggghhhh!
>>
William Gay I Hate to See the Evening Sun Go Down and Provinces of Night
Tom Franklin Poachers
Larry Brown - Father and Son; Joe; and Big Bad Love
Shelby Foote - Follow Me Down and Love in A Dry Season
>>
>>8288961
This.

Also, Outer Dark and Child of God by McCarthy
>>
>>8290138

> Her last book got bad reviews though... Have you actually read them all?

How old are you? You seem to have no conception of how adult readers relate to writers. Readers form individual opinions, and even if it was bad, to a McCullers reader it would be worth reading. You're a cretin.
>>
>>8290158
forgot
A Feast of Snakes by Harry Crews
>>
>>8290170
Why are you so mean? I am trying to engage you about an author you seem to enjoy. I also don't want to invest in something that ends up being a terd. I'll just read Heart is a Lonely Hunter if the rest of her work just goes downhill.
>>8288893
Also Eudora Welty.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.