[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the saddest thing you've ever read/written?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 1434828319977.jpg (194 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
1434828319977.jpg
194 KB, 900x1165
What's the saddest thing you've ever read/written? Let's shed tears together, /lit/

https://soundcloud.com/mathew-steven-klein/were-all-leaving
>>
Not this, but it's close.
>>
You lose everything when you've lost the one you love. In theory, it should be a freeing event; a man with nothing has everything to gain. But she left me with her dying wish, and the weight of it is unbearable.

Three times now I've been unable to do what I always wanted. Three times, it's put me in a situation I would rather not be in. The last time, I woke up in the ER with a shattered cheek bone, two missing teeth, and a number of broken ribs. She's holding me back.

"Please." Her eyes were already closing as her strength faded. "Don't kill anyone... not again."

Her last words have more hold over me than anything else. I could have easily killed those two boys. Just left them there in a ditch by the road and went on my way. But I couldn't even bring myself to fight back. I spent weeks recovering from that.

And now I'm out again, walking back home after a single beer and hours of self-pity. At least the night air was cool and calming. The sound of people during the day was too much. Their little lives mattered to them just as much as hers did to me. It's sickening.

I barely noticed the three boys ahead of me. They were all in dark clothing, with hoods up, so it should've hardly been surprising when the streetlight finally illuminated them. They were excited about something, that much was clear.

"Yo man, gives us your wallet." Was he holding the knife the whole time, or did I just miss it?

"I don't want any trouble." My wallet was empty.

"Don't fucking mess me about." His two friends circle around my side. "Give. Me. Your. Fucking. WALLET!"

They weren't much. Two skinny, lanky teens and one little fat one. They probably only had one knife between them. The way they shook told me they didn't do this often.

"You don't want to do this." I can see he isn't used to holding a knife, considering he's pointing it at me like a wand. But a knife is still a knife.

"Are you fucking deaf?" The short one's turn to speak.

"Do you deserve to die?"

They laugh but their frowns betray their nervousness.

"What the fuck?" That knife doesn't seem so effective now, does it?

"I promised someone a long time ago that I would never kill another person again." I hope they're soaking it in. "Do you think you deserve to die?"

The silence probably felt much longer to them than to me.

"No." The knife isn't pointing at me now.

His friends don't seem too eager any more.

"Then please, don't make me break my promise. Not to her." That hold is still there. "Let's all walk away from this."

Silence again as they swap uncomfortable glances.

"Please."

They step aside and keep walking down the street, muttering insults under their breath. Four times it took for that to work. At least, I thought it worked. It took a moment for me to register the knife now sticking in my back.

"Fucking cunt." The kid was already sprinting off down the street with his friend by the time I hit the floor.
>>
Incarnations of Burnt Children by David Foster Wallace. Only a age and a half, but it fucked me up brutally.
>>
>>8285236
Saddest Song by Neruda
Some of Hemmingway's stories are quite sad.
>>
My diary desu
>>
The bit in Lolita where he finds her with her husband...the parting scene is a real tear-jerker.
>>
I had a stage of severe depression and I contemplated suicide.

I pondered for months on what my suicide note would read. I felt more comfortable with leaving behind something short and sweet.

>No me entierres, que no estoy muerto aún y el silencio no es tiempo perdido (Don't bury me, for I'm not dead yet and silence isn't lost time).

Thankfully I overcame that phase and funnily enough I now find that phrase optimistic.
>>
>>8285236

No One Writes to the Colonel by Marques.
>>
>>8285909
This, 'A Farewell to Arms' got me hard
>>
>>8286098
Wow no joke you should have done it youre a massive faggot
>>
File: 12312312313213321.png (128 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
12312312313213321.png
128 KB, 250x250
>>8286307
no u
>>
>>8285236
Written, won't share as it's cancerous shit I never worked over

Read, The Sun Also Rises as a whole is one depressing ass book, Farewell To Arms ending, Lolita ending, The Metamorphosis, those are the saddest I can think of right now.
>>
>>8286098
I don't understand what the fuck that means, and I cant tell if its way above me or just very pseudo intellectual
>>
>>8286076
Only proper answer
Greek tragedies are but a footnote to my diary
desu
>>
File: this.png (157 KB, 625x370) Image search: [Google]
this.png
157 KB, 625x370
>>
File: Top_Jeff.jpg (18 KB, 350x196) Image search: [Google]
Top_Jeff.jpg
18 KB, 350x196
>>8286098
>fucking Soda Stereo on your suicide note

Cringe: the post.
>>
>>8286554
kek
no one that matters would find out
and if they did I'd already be dead

funny last joke too m8
>>
Happy Birthday, son. You'd be ten now.
>>
>for sale: ulysses, never read

gets me every time...
>>
>>8286079
I wasn't able to find anything sad after laughing so much through the book.
>>
>>8285254
>WALLET!
Kek'd hard. Who actually writes like that when writing prose?
>>
Let's just stay friends. Thank you, though!
>>
File: damn.jpg (36 KB, 218x218) Image search: [Google]
damn.jpg
36 KB, 218x218
>>8287057
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.