[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you nerds think of Colin Wilson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: _71722050_rexfeatures_1688625a.jpg (24 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
_71722050_rexfeatures_1688625a.jpg
24 KB, 560x315
What do you nerds think of Colin Wilson?
>>
>>8283502
The Outsiders was p good. Stay gold, Ponyboy ;)
>>
>>8283508
Wrong book, dude!
>>
>>8283553
oh yeah is that the one where the arab is shot because the sun was too bright?

its a good one too
>>
>>8283502
>black and white glamour shot

Obviously a hack, automatically discredited.
>>
The Outsider was a great read, sad to see that everything that followed from him was either weird or complete shit (energy-sucking space vampires!)
>>
I came across his work recently. Read some bits, mostly out of The Strenght to Dream, but also bits of The Outsider and Beyond the Outsider.

Ultimately, he leaves me wondering why nobody else pursues his brand of existential readings of literature anymore. Seemed to me, especially in The Strenght to Dream, that he was sorta searching for a substitute for God in literature, or a way of describing the modern world, which I find interesting. But it seems to me the post-structuralists has banished that squarely out of literary discourse. Maybe that is why nobody reads him anymore. Disregarding all the UFO/mysticism stuff.

Terry Eagleton's obituary on him summed his popular regard up pretty well. The Outsider was influential for a while, but the reader would be better off reading the authors he reference and he was evidently too weird to stay long in the limelight. I'd digress and say The Strenght to Dream is still a good read, but I still haven't read the most important authors he discuss, like Kazantzakis, to be completely sure.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.