[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started with the Greeks but why do they keep calling this guy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 189x267
I started with the Greeks but why do they keep calling this guy Ulysses? I thought that was a meme book not a Greek hero.
>>
>>8282887
Just in case this isn't bait and someone legitimately needing help, Ulysses was the Roman name for Odysseus. The 'meme book' is modeled after the Odyssey, but set in early 20th century dublin. It's not just a meme, though, it's widely celebrated as a great accomplishment in Western Literature.
>>
You picked the wrong translation
>>
File: 1446562773165.jpg (4 MB, 5227x2617) Image search: [Google]
1446562773165.jpg
4 MB, 5227x2617
>>8282972
Why would the Roman names be used instead of the Greek ones?
>>
>>8282972
Not trolling or anything just retarded, what are the differences between Ulysses and The Odyssey? Are they the same book?
>>
>>8283040
He's probably reading a dover or wordsworth translation
>>
>>8283045
You're responding to a post said that it's set in early 20th century dublin. What do you think?
>>
>>8283045
Yeah.
>>
>>8283040
Becuase the original work is already called the odyssey, and it sounds better.
and it might have a connection to the roman mythology being a modernized vesion of the greek, much like the book ulyssess is a very modern tale.
>>
>>8283045
there is absolutely no way.
>>
>>8283046
My translations by Samuel Butler, I looked him up and he thought Homer was a woman or something.
>>
>>8283045
The Odyssey is an epic poem written by Homer. It tells the story of Odysseus on his journey home and what he finds when he gets there. It was written sometime in the B.C.s

Ulysses is a novel written by James Joyce in the early 20th century. It chronicles the day in the life of some guy whose wife is cheating on him, but uses a variety of literary allusions and stylistic efforts to create a kaleidoscope of beauty and literary merit.

Ulysses is based on the Odyssey in its structure, but also on Hamlet, so I'm told.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.