[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best books for fully understanding the human condition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Ivan_Sergeyevich_Turgenev_2.jpg (886 KB, 1264x1889) Image search: [Google]
Ivan_Sergeyevich_Turgenev_2.jpg
886 KB, 1264x1889
What are the best books for fully understanding the human condition and the depth of humans and the essence of being a human being?

I'm not trying to be pretentious or a pseud but i'm genuinely wondering after reading rainer maria rilkes novel and poetry. He seems to have a depth especially in his prose which is so beyond me at times or normal human sight that I wish to be closer to it.
>>
It isn't so much about understanding (rather it expedited my own interest) the human condition scientifically, but I really enjoy Stephen Crane; The Open Boat struck a chord with me few short stories have as far as man v man v nature and all that is concerned.
>>
What is this "human condition" meme?
Can't literally everything we feel, think and experience be told to be part of the human condition? I don't see how it means anything.
>>
Anything by William Golding
>>
>>8280732

Just seeing the unseen or being able to describe and explain and decipher humans and their actions and feelings. I"m not trying to meme i'm trying to understand.
>>
>>8280746
Putting it that way I actually see what you mean. Sounds like a noble mission too.

I think Dostoevski does that like no other.
>>
>>8280702

I'll check it out thanks m8.

>>8280736

I'll also look into it thank you.

>>8280752

Ya i know Dostovesky, i appreciate it though, what i'm really trying to get at is writing about the human and the soul and when it comes to well writing, literature.

There's a massive gap between writers even at the highest level who understand and can write and portray humans and those who seem to have almost a mystical understanding of events around them, reality merging with fiction at times. I was immensely impressed by rainer in this regard like I mentioned.
>>
>>8280785
Try interacting with real life humans. Does that sound scary?
>>
>>8280795

I've had 5 jobs of all walks of life and work at a homeless shelter. Kek you really must not get what I'm saying to make such a banal comment.

I'm just wondering what does it take to understand humanity at a super human depth.
>>
File: erich+fromm[1].jpg (186 KB, 696x1056) Image search: [Google]
erich+fromm[1].jpg
186 KB, 696x1056
>>8280687
Erich Fromm developed a concept about the "humana conditio" in his book "Escape from Freedom". His literature would be a good start I think.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.