[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>intelligent >well read >try and debate someone and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: DougJones.jpg (73 KB, 421x594) Image search: [Google]
DougJones.jpg
73 KB, 421x594
>intelligent
>well read
>try and debate someone and completely forget everything i've ever learned and get too emotional

how do I fix this
>>
>>8278628
Leave society behind.
>>
>>8278628
>try and debate someone

Don't.
>>
why do you get emotional
>>
>>8278640
more like an informal argument desu
>>
Could be a lot of things. Most likely you are more invested in being right/more intelligent, where your objective in a discussion should be to arrive at a better understanding of the truth of the subject. As long as you view the discussion as a me vs. them scenario, you will allow your attachment to being correct drag you into insecurity and doubt. Become attached to achieving a higher understanding of the subject at hand and nothing else.
>>
>>8278628
Not sure if this is a troll post, but being good at logic and argument and being well read has nothing to do with being good at rhetoric. Being able to argue in person is a whole different skillset which you don't have and haven't practiced.

The best arguments come in written form anyway, because then each party can lay out their entire argument from first principles without interruption, so the better argument is more likely to win rather than the better arguer.

If you want to be good at rhetoric give up your job and question politicians on the meaning of justice for a while.
>>
File: EAT.jpg (95 KB, 1000x1001) Image search: [Google]
EAT.jpg
95 KB, 1000x1001
>>8278644
low test betamax, needs 250mg tren/day
>>
>>8278628
It's probably because you don't know as much as you think you do. Just thinking about things by yourself without the sort of rigor required professionally or in education leaves you with a weak grasp on many ideas. When it comes to a real debate, where someone is actively trying to undermine your position, you find them asking questions you don't actually know enough about to answer.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.