[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me 10 reasons why GRRM is a bad writer without resorting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: hGhNRr06.jpg (136 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
hGhNRr06.jpg
136 KB, 1252x1252
Give me 10 reasons why GRRM is a bad writer without resorting to memes.
>>
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1459299
>>
he sucks
hes shit
hes bad
hes old
hes a hack
hes white
hes male
hes cis
hes rich
he uses an old computer
>>
>>8278203
>immediately refuted by comments below
Next.

>>8278208
>without resorting to memes.
You've certainly failed there
>>
>>8278218
>wants reasons
>but not reasons that make me sad!
>>
>>8278203
it says "show" in the url... it's talking about the ice&fire show... not the game throne books...
>>
>>8278200
Read more books outside fantasy genre, this is the more straight question i can give you. If someone asked me "Why is Don Quixote better than a videogame?" i could not put into words what is going on in the experience.

It doesn't matter if you get convinced or not, only the experience matter.
>>
desu I kind of want to rewrite his shitty work into something entertaining. I had lots of fun in some thread a bit ago where people took turns rewriting the scene where some chick diarrheas in some grass.
>>
>>8278203
>http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1459299
"This produces a conflicted tone: a soap opera cast lost in an existentialist film."
i like that
>>
>>8278200
Only if you give me 11 reasons why he's not a bad writer, while only resorting to memes.
>>
>>8278200

He's popular, I like some of his sci-fi and dying Earth stories but way before the TV show was even announced he was well liked here on /lit/ there was even a thread where some German anons got ADWD early and he spoiled the first 200 or so pages.
>>
I could give you a long list of why he's bad, but to be honest, I don't feel like wasting my time.

I'll give you one of the major reasons why he's a bad writer though and that is the lack of a cohesive narrative.

The first 3 books of ASoIaF were pretty tight from a narrative perspective. After ASoS, thinks became unglued. There is no overarching theme, characters are inconsistent and contradictory, plotlines go nowhere or otherwise drag on for unneccessary lengths (Denaerys is the worst offender), new characters are constantly introduced with little or minimal effect on the narrative as a whole (this gives the false impression of having an 'epic scope' when in reality it's simply needless name-dropping and sidetracking which distracts from the central plot. Areo Hotah and Young Griff are good examples of this), and, perhaps most glaring, is the apparent lack of any cohesive theme or central idea. When people call GURRM a hack, it's mostly for this reason. There's a reason the show works so well--the books are written on the most rudimentary mundane level, meant to sate an appetite for quick satisfaction but offering nothing of substance.
>>
>>8278408
i've never read the books but i watch the show. i keep getting the impression that the show is better than the books.
>>
>>8278428
No
>>
>>8278200
>10 reasons
What the fuck is this?
Anyway, I don't necessarily think GRRM is a bad writer, he does a good job telling a charming little story that defies some of the expectations of the fantasy genre. His prose is the worst really, his writing is clunky and lacks a whole lot of feeling, and he breaks a lot of the rules of good writing. His language doesn't flow well and is simple, never really using words bigger than butthole. He also tends to not be able to paint any real picture of a scene and relies on tired cliches and cringeworthy descriptions like "The moon was a sliver like the blade of a knife". But that's really it. Like I said, the story is charming and tried to fit outside hero tropes which is nice.
>>
>>8278428

The books are better, but that's not really saying much.

It's like saying that an In-and-Out Double-Double is better than a Big Mac. The double-double surely tastes better, perhaps is made with better ingredients, but in the end, they're both shitty fast food burgers that are terrible for you.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (10 KB, 182x276) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10 KB, 182x276
1. Repetitive. Too many characters and events are slight variations of each other. I know its 'world-building' , its also just a way to stretch a story into a 6 book series and create a psuedo epic., because the genre demands at least a trilogy.
2. All high fantasy is Tolkien fan-fic. I know, ASoIaF is grimdark, but its often just LotR with bewbs and ravens.
3. How the fuck do the ravens work? In real life carrier pigeons carry tiny messages rolled into capsules attached to their bodies. When Tyrion uses ravens to broadcast the Lannister incest, its in scrolls, presumably full sized. Do the birds fly around with fucking scrolls dangling from their talons?
4. Weird mix of medieval and Rennaissance. Like Renfaire people who don't know the difference between the Fuedal era and Shakespeare's England
5. "Boiled Leather"
That's enough. 10 is an arbitrary limit.
I read the first two. Liked 'em okay, but could predict that all the characters I liked would die or become corrupt or be forced to make a terrible compromise/sacrifice and things would never move towards a satisfying conclusion.
Look , I liked GoT and CoC OK, but they are junk food.
Look, I
>>
>>8278208
you forgot "hes a cuck"
>>
>>8278200

He kills off too many characters.
>>
>>8278203
The review: half of it meanders to other books. Fuck that shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.