[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the greatest writers Catholic? (Or at last raised in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 600x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 600x409
Why are the greatest writers Catholic? (Or at last raised in its teachings)

Dante, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Cervantes, Proust, Joyce, Pynchon

What did God mean by this?
>>
File: Modern Day Pericles.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1600) Image search: [Google]
Modern Day Pericles.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1600
Last time I checked, Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Sophocles, Xenophon, Herodotus and pretty much every other great Greek was NOT Catholic.

Check and mate, as we say in the Chess world.
>>
>>8273827
for a start Dante's Catholicism would have been immensely different to any one of those authors
>>
Shakespeare wasn't Catholic.
>>
All the shittiest authors you never heard of around Dante's time were catholic too
>>
Also Chaucer, Cervantes, Joyce all relentlessly mocked the Catholic church
>>
Proust was actually half catholic half jew. In his writing you can see an interesting mix of that, actually. He writes a lot about the Dreyfus case (google it) and laments the way jews are treated in France after that, but he also talks a lot about France's ancient churches and cathedrals, the lives of the saints, and some catholic rituals, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
I thought Pynchon was a WASP
>>
>Catholics
>God

they're apostates. the catholic church is the masterwork of satan, intending to draw believers away from the true church which is christ
>>
>>8273847
Pynchon isn't catholic, it's double-sided bait
>>
>>8274603

Fuck off proddy
>>
>>8274615
pynchon was raised catholic.
>>
>>8273862
>being this ignorant
>>
Flannery O'Connor
>>
>>8273827

Dante was a blasphemous egoist who hijacked Catholic theology and subdued it beneath his poetic genius to immortalize his love of Beatrice.
>>
File: Campion.jpg (145 KB, 426x658) Image search: [Google]
Campion.jpg
145 KB, 426x658
>>8273862
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.