[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to make a living freelance writing? If so, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 100101.png (31 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
100101.png
31 KB, 300x231
Is it possible to make a living freelance writing?

If so, how can you start if you have no experience (not counting novels/screenplays you might've written)?

And what are the options? Content mills? Erotic fiction? Anything else?
>>
>>8272700
Not really, no. It was a decade or three ago, but these days you're not going to get paid shit for writing under normal circumstances unless you already have years of experience.
>>
>>8272772
>unless you already have years of experience.

not even this.
>>
>>8272700
Depends on where you live. In some eastern european countries with a low cost of living, you could pull it off. Back when I was writing for content mills, I could get $5 or $6/hour if I put some effort in, and that is more than enough to get you through in, say, Slovakia or Hungary.
>>
>>8272700
I work part time as a delivery guy and then do freelance writing. I'm getting by, but not getting rich.
>>
>>8272700
Im not sure about "freelance writing" but here in germany, a publisher straight up told me that "authors don't really make any money off of their books anymore, what they make money on is live readings to an audience". Also corroborated by the fact that i would get 7% of the profit if i published through them(a friend i have got a whopping 2% and made a whopping 16euro last year on a childrens book he'd been working on for a year).

So... take that as what you will. I suppose it /is possible/, but you would be the exception rather than the rule and would probably not make much(say 15%) until your third or fourth book.
>>
>>8274909
Do you just do content mills?
>>
File: beautiful-024.jpg (51 KB, 700x437) Image search: [Google]
beautiful-024.jpg
51 KB, 700x437
>>8272700
Yes, I am a freelance writer and I am doing OK.

Not writing novels or anything though. You are unlikely to make very much money doing that. Even fairly well-known novelists supplement their writing income in other ways, such as lecturing at universities or on writing courses and so on. For all but the tiny few JK Rowlings, John Grishams etc, writing will never be anything other than a sideline income-wise, even though most will still refer to themselves as a writer above all else.

pic unrelated
>>
I write essays for college students.

If you don't mind pumping out 10-12 pages 4-5 times a week, you'll get by. Slows down during the summer though.

It leaves me plenty of time to do my personal writing and reading.
>>
Ebooks, guys. Its not a meme like I thought it was.

The way to get "rich" is by self publishing. A lot of JK actual income comes from pottermore, for example. If you ever get signed by a publisher DONT take a deal that prevents you from self publishing, hold on to this right like americans hold to their guns right.

And I believe that if money is what you want, then you gotta write for teenagers rather than just kids. Girls if you want a more accurate approach.

Go to wattpad, goodsread, gather a fanbase, then put that shit on amazon and ask if someone wants to support you. You might not "live" on it but it will sell a little and might get better in the future. You will always sell something every month.

If its good, it will sell, and if it sells, you'll be approached by the right people that will want to publish physical copies.

There are some people who landed movie deals with this strategy. I was skeptic at first, but it works.

All I am saying is, that girl who showed up at NY bestsellers with a booklet might not be a good writer but she pulled the right cords. Its all about what sells, not the quality. Harry Potter is not a masterpiece, nor is A Song of Ice and Fire, the last took decades to lift off.

Its a slow game. And you'll never know what will be hot three years from now, so there is that.
>>
>>8276000
this is what I've done, too. how much do you usually charge? I usually just rate according to how desperate or how rich the individual is.
>>
>>8276230

$10/page is my minimum, I charge more depending on how broken English/rich the client is, or how busy I am in general.
>>
>>8276077
how could you live with yourself
>>
I make a decent living doing Freelance Writing.

Keep in mind though I do a lot more than just write short stories and other stuff. I also do a lot of nonfiction writing. Mostly Copywrite, Reviews, Blog Articles, Essays, and stuff like that. You'll be amazed at how many new businesses get started that need people who know how to write. Not to mention local politicians who need local people who are able to write things for them at a fair price. I actually eat really well during election cycles and all I really do is write Facebook, Twitter, and Press Releases for them for local newspapers.

All in all, though you need to know where to go, how to talk to clients, do a LOT of self-publishing as >>8276077 suggested. Writing is about volume. The more you produce, the better chance you'll find the right people who are willing to pay you. Not to mention wider nets catch more, so you'll also end up with people who will be fans of your work that way.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.