[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
prose = words in their best order; poetry = the best words in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: kublakhan640x480.jpg (207 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kublakhan640x480.jpg
207 KB, 640x480
prose = words in their best order; poetry = the best words in their best order
>>
>>8271816

Who decides what is best?
>>
poetic prose
>>
my dick = in ur moms ass lmao
>>
>>8271821
Men with swords
>>
Reading for prose alone is like eating soup for the spoon.

What you want to read for is the whole experience.
>>
>>8271845
>like eating soup for the spoon
ehhhhh
>>
>>8271825
hahahaha
my nigga got ROASTED
pic related op: it's you
>>
>>8271845

Downs Syndrome
>>
>>8271845
>doesn't like the metallic flavour and feel of a spoon
>>
File: Hotline Miami.jpg (275 KB, 399x1196) Image search: [Google]
Hotline Miami.jpg
275 KB, 399x1196
>>8271853
Whenever someone says "I read books for the prose" its like they're saying that they read for the face value arrangement of the words as opposed to whats actually being said.

It makes no sense.

Besides that, by definition prose simply means "written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure.", and the vast majority of books are made of prose.

So even by a standard definition the idea of 'reading for prose" is fucking silly because what the hell else are you reading BUT prose? The very term 'prose' embraces everything you could find in the book.

So with this in mind, "reading for prose" becomes a game of puffed up redundancy, "I read books for the book".
>>
>>8271845
literature is an art of storytelling, not of making up stories
>>
>I'm gonna be a pedantic faggot and pretend I don't understand what people are saying. That's gonna make me sound really smart.
>>
>>8271886
You can make up stories to tell them...
>>
File: Vroom Vroom.jpg (174 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
Vroom Vroom.jpg
174 KB, 1024x765
>>8271882

Prose is simply a tool a for storytelling.

Storytelling is a tool for something far greater, an invisible force of living experience that breathes through us all, a capturing of time and space in real or not real fabrics of reality.
>>
>>8271890
Yea, because I should really have patience for idiots whose only value in literature is if the words sound pretty or not.
>>
>>8271898
I don't disagree, infact I readily agree that storytelling is universal. Prose is simply one way it can be approached in literature.

Which only makes our favorite saying even more strange.
>>
>I'm gonna keep pretending to be stupid. Is anyone impressed yet?
>>
>>8271911
>I don't have any counterpoints, so I'll make passive aggressive comments like a bitch!

Stay meme'd kid
>>
>Guys, guys, no, really, look how clever I am by faking autism.
>>
>>8271914
I want to return to this. I see OP defined the terms in his own words, which I more or less glazed over. My own posting was in response to the general attitudes I see on /lit/, and also to how sloppy so many are in defining what makes prose(/almost/ on the same tier as "what is art?" conversations). I'll give OP credit for at least making some attempt for the purposes of his thread.
>>
>>8271816
order doesn't mean "left to right" -- well, the way you're meaning it, it does, but that's not how prose works.

Just because you read from left to right doesn't mean you grasp all prose.

Poetry isn't about order as much as it is about rhythm.

You are all sorts of wrong.

F-
>>
File: 1458594521340.jpg (151 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1458594521340.jpg
151 KB, 650x650
>>8271911
/lit/ confirmed for best board to shitpost

stay autistic
>>
>>8272049
>feels entitled to an argument

Change your diaper.
>>
File: aite.jpg (47 KB, 667x645) Image search: [Google]
aite.jpg
47 KB, 667x645
>>8272062
go on, i'm still watching
>>
>>8272065
You're entitled to watch.

How did you know that I was the same person?

I was trying to be stealthy and make you think I was a different person.

You win. I know when I'm up against somebody who's too good for me to beat.
>>
>>8271886
stop diminishing the possibilities of expression. Merit can be developed with a focus on either prose or storytelling itself, both to different ends.
>>
Prose is the cinematography of literature

Poetry is gay
>>
>>8272092
>Poetry is gay
breh you'll get stabbed saying shit like that
>>
>>8271816

You're out of date by a century.

Prose = words in their best order
poetry = bad prose chopped up into lines
>>
>>8271882
autism
>>
>>8272098
>defining objects by their contemporary use, ahistorically
shiggity
>>
>>8271853
Hanging from my noose like ehhhh
>>
>>8272787
>>>/mu/
>>
Good prose is the best words in the best order. Poetry is the same thing but with meter
>>
>>8272840
>Poetry is the best meter in the best order
>>
File: 1444951997591.png (598 KB, 502x772) Image search: [Google]
1444951997591.png
598 KB, 502x772
Prose is watching an old man slip out of his wheelchair going down the retard ramp

Poetry is power-walking away from the scene before you have to become involved with helping him
>>
>>8271826
The pen is mightier than the sword: [ ] Bunked [x] DEBUNKED

>>8271816
prose = bad; poetry = good
>>
>>8272887
surprisingly accurate for many occasions
>>
>>8272887
kek
>>
>>8272079
Can't accept that
Prose will always have a profound effect on the story you tell. If you strip a novel of it's prose the story will not have any artistic merit unless you use another form of storytelling (i.e directing)
>>
>>8271825
severely underrated
>>
>>8272968
What are plays
>>
>>8272986
plays are directed
>>
>>8273049
True, but a play can still carry power even in script form. Its pure character in action
>>
>>8273077
>pure character in action
Plays are very acting reliant. In script form they are not much different from movies
Plus character varies from script to script, I can't really see a point in that claim
>>
>>8273117
I really should have just said script. The point being that traditional literary prose isnt the only way to carry a story on paper. Lines of dialogue by well developed and well positioned charactets can be enough.
>>
>>8273123
I can't really see how you're going to tell a serious decent story with no use of prose.
Of course you can write walls of dialogue with characters but then your story will have the merit of a court transcript.
>>
>>8273145
I think merit in this instance is a rather loaded term( there are more than enough entertaining transcriptions out there). And at any rate it can be an interesting excercise
>>
>>8271825
fucking lost it
>>
>>8271893
anon didn't say you couldn't, but the focus is how the story is told.
>>
>>8273151
I agree with you on that. My point is that there's no such thing as storytelling without the use of prose (on paper)
And that is what literature is all about
>>
>>8272092
try harder/10
>>
>>8273159
I think focusing so much on how the story is told is a mistake. Telling a good story is hard enough work without style wank.
>>
>>8273165
I enjoy stories that may not be the most "exciting" if they are told in an aesthetically pleasing way.
I understand people not enjoying style heavy novels though.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.