[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Anyone read Skulduggery Pleasant? Just finished the last book out of 9 and loved it almost threw the book when Skulduggery was going to sacrifice himself

I come across alot of people who haven't even heard of this series, and understandable I suppose as it's basically the less popular Irish verison of Harry Potter, but I know it must be at least somewhat recognizable because I first stumbled upon the series as a young middle schooler in our library.

My opinion though: the writing is that which I haven't seen in many other books. I like it and I don't. On one hand it sometimes seems sloppy and confusing while on the other it's engaging, thrilling, and reads like a movie--something that I think the writer fully intended and, honestly, is inspiring for my own writing. The characters are unique, at least until the 5-6 book where you have to keep up with all the rediculous names, but the characters are so likable that it was a pretty big heart lurch for every one that died.

Anyway, thoughts?
>>
>>8266776
yeah those books are pretty cool. i read the first 5 i think. didn't realise it had got to 9 now.

>>8266790
go fuck yourself you pseud
>>
>>8266776
i read them ages ago. enjoyed them at the time
>>
>>8266867
The 9th came out I believe a little over a year ago. Lots of people die. The ending was kinda just ok
>>
>>8266776
Yeah they're great.
>>
>>8266776
I always liked the author's style as a kid. The prose is clean and simple, the font is large, the plot is conventional and enjoyably vibrant. The world building is not overly convoluted, and the whole book has a modest elegance, like it knows its place and owns it with no pretension.

However, I was disappointed with the sequel, and when the followup books started being released, I was sad to see it devolve into the same cycle that so many other kids books fall into when they extend into sell out sequels- a loss of focus and a noticeable dip in quality.

What did /lit/ read as kids? I personally really enjoyed artemis fowl
>>
I really enjoyed them, the copies I had had florescent '''gilding''' on the paper (not sure what the right word is) and the book looked great
>>
I've read them. Read both books of his new trilogy as well. Can't read Pynchon everyday.
>>
Never read those, I read Darren Shan and this series when I was younger. Think the Spooks would hold up, not sure though.
>>
Read the first two, liked them a lot like 5 years ago. Is it worth tracking down the rest?
>>8268138
Recently reread Spooks 1-6 in a weekend, definitely held up as a solid piece of fiction, though admittedly very much a kid's book. Guilty pleasure.
Lamia waifu best waifu.
>>
>>8268181
>Not Alice
Ur a fookin cunt.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.