[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 'absolute power corrupts' a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 400x305
Is 'absolute power corrupts' a meme?
>>
Yes, most people misquote it, don't know the source and don't know the context.
>>
Meme in the sense that it's actually memetic, sure.
>>
>>8260849

Interesting

>>8260853

Go on...
>>
Absolutely
>>
>>8262027
memetic just means cultural info or knowledge thats passed around
>>
>>8260831
absolutely
>>
Replicated monkey studies have shown that power is as addictive as the strongest drugs out there.
>>
>>8260831
Hegel believed power to be a problem in developing self-consciousness. In the relationship between master and slave, the slave, who will be set to work by the master, will be able to discover the limits of his own self by the confines of his role, and because he is set to work he will discover moreover his ability in the particular to create, but also then in the abstract of owning the capacity to create; that is he will discover himself. However, as the master understands himself and accomplishes his work through the slave he will not come into contact with his own capacities, abilities, etc, but will instead develop fear of his slave who is, by the work set to him, developing a greater capacity to create due to the feedback provided by the work he does.
>>
>>8262045
>in Christianity the more of a servant one is, the higher in the hierarchy of Heaven they are
>God Himself became the ultimate servant in Jesus
at last I truly see
>>
>>8260831
Yes, we're always corrupt, absolute power just showcases it.
>>
File: guwop.jpg (521 KB, 2000x2495) Image search: [Google]
guwop.jpg
521 KB, 2000x2495
>>8262238
schlave morality runs p deep
>>
>>8260831
>>8262251
What is absolute power? There's no such thing. Not attainable to man, in any case.
>>
It corrupts the weak ones, who found hedonism somehow interesting for them. Subhumans in other words. They don't know shit about greater things.
>>
>>8260831
I forget who said it, but all absolute power does is reveal who someone has secretly been all along.
>>
Power and corruption are spooks.
>>
>>8263005
Spooks are the only spooks.
>>
File: Master and Apprentice.jpg (264 KB, 940x658) Image search: [Google]
Master and Apprentice.jpg
264 KB, 940x658
>>8262045

>Hegel

Do I look like I give a FUCK?

He's only ever had one practically useful idea, and even then for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>8262045
Where can I read more of this?
>>
>>8260831
Lord Acton himself was a meme who got BTFO at Vatican I
>>
>>8263143
Phenomenology of Spirit, but would caution reading it, it's very difficult. Worthwhile though. Look up master/slave dialectic.
>>
>>8260831
No, but it's wrong that absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Unless you're born into that power.
>>
>>8262257
Why does this image resonate with this post so well?
>>
>>8260831
Nah, it's just that corrupt people are the ones who get and stay in power.
If you'll do anything to become more powerful, chances are you're gonna do a lot of bad things.
>>
bum p
>>
>>8265217
b/c gucci is based
>>
>>8265217
His tongue is close to the front of his teeth implying a lisp
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.