[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to start reading Paradise Lost for an english
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: pl.jpg (228 KB, 648x800) Image search: [Google]
pl.jpg
228 KB, 648x800
I'm about to start reading Paradise Lost for an english course and I wanted to ask: is there any background reading/guides to reading that i should use?

The ~600 pages of dense poetry is fairly daunting, and I'm worried that I won't 'get' it or something.
>>
>>8260703
Assuming your course is good, no. All extra readings should be provided by the teacher. Hopefully they'll touch on his other works, which is all you need to really -get- Paradise Lost.

That said, actually reading the poem is only really daunting at first. Once you get used to the language and his rhythm it's a breeze and highly rewarding.
>>
I'd read some of his other poetry and prose first.
In my course we read Comus, Lycidas, On The Church Doctrine of Reason, Aeropagitica, Various Sonnets (When I Consider how my light is spent).
Good luck senpai.
>>
I suppose you're talking about Paradife Loft, right?
>>
so I take it he gets lost, but does this man ever find paradise again?
>>
C. S. Lewis's Preface to Paradise Lost is a good introduction because it will clear up some misconceptions about PL's relation to orthodox Christian theology. Other than that, I'd recommend that you read some Virgil. If you don't understand Christianity (which most people don't) I'd recommend you try reading through a few introductory books.

There are any number of books on Milton and his time, and I haven't read enough to know which one to recommend. It can't hurt to pick one at random from your university's library and to give it a read. I liked Hilaire Belloc's book on him.
>>
>>8261507
the real paradise is the friends they made along the way :)
>>
>>8260798
I think you mean Paradiſe Loſt
>>
>>8261618
Πἀραδαις Λὀστ
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.