[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential works of Russian literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: pootin.jpg (105 KB, 927x516) Image search: [Google]
pootin.jpg
105 KB, 927x516
What are the essential works of Russian literature?
>>
Anna Karenina and Brothers Karamazov. You can read only these two, the rest does not even come close.
>>
>>8260582
>dissing Gogol's The Carriage
>Lermontov
>Pushkin's entire oeuvre
>>
>>8260573
all of them are essential from the 19th century, desu.
>>
>>8260573
Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev
>>
>>8260585
Your opinion has been dismissed.
>>
>>8260599
>being this much of a pleb
Gogol and Pushkin are God-Tier.
>>
>>8260582
>>8260599
>discouraging people from reading broadly
At last, I truly see now why this board was created
>>
>>8260628
hey, did you ever read Gogol's The Portrait? fucking magnificent.
>>
>>8260604
Is Pushkin's poetry worth reading in translation, especially Eugene Onegin? He intrigues me and I've read Dosto, Bulgakov, and Pelevin in translation, but I feel like poetry would be very different.
>>
>>8260695
just read his short stories. I'd avoid his poetry, desu. I tried and it was pretty intolerable. try gogol too. really can't be missed, friend.
>>
>>8260573
Cyka Blyad' by Cyka Huievich Blyad'ov
>>
Pushkin, lermonyov, gogol, Chekhov, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky are the basics. If you want more let me know.
>>
>>8260845

What should I read if I only want the "essentials" but I'm not particularly interested in going deep into subject as a whole.
>>
>>8260867
the wikipedia article
>>
>>8260837
Bydlo.
>>
>>8260867
The best known work of each so I'd say eugine onegin, a hero of our time, dead souls, Anna kerrinina and the karamazov brothers.
>>
>>8260573
Everything pales in comparison with Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
>>
>>8260992
To illustrate my point, Bulgakov was a former white army member, fought against communism, spoke out against Stalin and communism in later times, and Stalin didnt send him to the gulag or have him shot. He made him the director of Moscow theatre.

Pretty sure thats the greatest compliment a man can receive.
>>
desu everything in the 19th century and 20th century is excellent in russia for the most part.

People on here are plebs and only read le master and marguerita, or dead souls. Ignore them, but you'll end up like them too most likely, it's a trap.
>>
The Twelve chairs
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.