[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of reading Critique on Pure Reason but I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I'm thinking of reading Critique on Pure Reason but I'm pretty new to philosophy so what I should read and understand first in order to really appreciate and understand it?
I don't mind if I need to read a ton of philosophy before him, I really want to do this.
>>
>>8260444
pls go. you know not what you do.
>>
>>8260444

K, what you need to do is read the entire body of western philosophy before Kant. Start with the greeks, i.e. pre-socratics.
>>
start with what is englightment by kant. it's short and to the point.
>>
>>8260444
I think probably the most important background for reading Kant for someone with little prior philosophy would have to be Leibniz and Hume.I would also read Descartes meditations at the very least.

I think you can pretty much dive into the CPR, but I recommend having some literature to guide you. Henry Allison's book Kant's Transcendental Idealism is a classic that is pretty accessible, although his approch to the critique is less and less popular these days.

Source: am writing a dissertation on Kant right now.
>>
>>8260444
Start with the greeks
>>
Holy shit no, I'm reading the Critique now and you absolutely cannot jump into it with no background. A bare minimum reading list would be Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, and Hume.
>>
School textbooks can be an okay way to get basic but wide-ranging knowledge, which will help some.

But if you want to "get into" philosophy, you will really need to read Aristotle, Plato and Descartes, so might as well start with them. They're arguably the three most important westerm philosophers and after reading, you will be relatively ready to go deeper. A school textbook will still be of nice help - it'll give you some history, the terminology and so on.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.