[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
goddamn it guys, I purchased Dover Thrift Editions of Plato, Aristotle, and Aurelius before I was bathed in the elitism of /lit/

(don't worry, in true lit fashion, I haven't cracked the spines on any of them, although I have had them for several weeks)

I just caught on to actually caring what editions of books you buy, and luckily, I started caring at the right time, because I ordered $50 or so of reading material to read before I tackle Plato and Aristotle (The Iliad, The Odyssey, etc), and I have those in editions I like (I got the Fagles translations)

What I am asking is good versions of Plato's and Aristotle's must-reads, because the Dover Thrift Editions are not on-par to what I was expecting.

(Don't worry I won't donate them to Goodwill I'll do the right thing and Fahrenheit 451 their ass)

Just cheap editions of Plato and Aristotle that are more readable the the Dover Thrift Editions, thank you.
>>
I have an unread copy of that edition too. What exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>8260180
Hackett editions are usually the best received.
>>
>>8260180
Last Days Of Socrates collects four Plato dialogues (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo) in a slim Penguin volume with end notes. I prefer smaller volumes, such as this, rather than the large and unwieldy omnibuses.
>>
>/mu/tard goes on /lit/ for the first time
>orders himself $50 worth of the Greeks after getting meme'd hard like the tool he is
>books sit on shelf for the next 5 years before being donated to goodwill

My sides
>>
>>8260199

Its fitting a massive amount of dialogues into a small "value" book. So its tiny font, little notes and little-to-no preface....

460 for six dialogues compared to the Peguin edition of "The Republic" that has 496 pages....
>>
Complete Plato from Hackett, Complete Aristotle (2 vols) from Princeton
>>
>>8260180
Nothing wrong with Dover Thrift Editions.
>>
>not purchasing John Cooper's edited complete works of Plato

faggot
>>
>>8260180
Do they have footnotes/end notes in them?
>>
>>8260180
Check the sticky plebeian. It pretty much covers all these topics
>>
>>8260180
aren't they Jowett's translations? he's the goat, you're fine homey.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.