[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nabokov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Nabokov-Mary.jpg (21 KB, 243x383) Image search: [Google]
Nabokov-Mary.jpg
21 KB, 243x383
what lesser known/discussed works by V Nabokov would you guys recommend? i recently read Mary (Mashenka) and King, Queen, Knave, both in trans. i preferred the former. the latter seemed to be a glorious hit and miss, a spectacular failure. it has actually turned me off to reading the rest of his Russian novels. well, for a brief while. i've already read Lolita, Pnin, and Pale Fire.
>>
>>8255593
can you comment on Pnin?
>>
>>8255613
i can't comment on Pnin with any authority or even insight since it has been nearly a decade since i read it. i was planning to go back to it after a few more of his older works, or maybe latter ones. thinking Speak, Memory and Ada or Ardor next. that is, unless another one catches my fancy.
>>
>>8255593
Laughter in the Dark was ok. Sort of like a less self-involved Lolita.
>>
>>8255593
invitation to a beheading senpai. it;'s my personal fav and nabokov himself considered it his finest work (this was pre pale fire and ada)
>>
File: 1467995555419-1585647953.jpg (861 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
1467995555419-1585647953.jpg
861 KB, 1520x2688
>>8255727
Can confirm, reading it right now and it's great.
>>
>>8255727
>>8255745
thanks, i'll look into that one next.
>>
>>8255745
Also just read the eye. It's very short, but has an interesting concept and is pretty funny.
>>
>>8255675
I read Ada about 4-5 years agro and it has gained the al time favorite prize for me, no contenders. It just has so much beauty! Go with that.
I know what you mean about Pnin. It's frustrating to realize that, most of the times, if you read a book ten years agro, it's pretty much the same as never having read it at all
>>
>>8255613
pnin is beautiful and heartwarming
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.