[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw normies don't understand how just hilarious and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: lolita.jpg (832 KB, 1512x2370) Image search: [Google]
lolita.jpg
832 KB, 1512x2370
>tfw normies don't understand how just hilarious and devastatingly sad this book can be and just write it off as "pedo shit"
>>
These 'normies' you speak of are just you right? ~The desperate normie, prick in hand, reading with dazed disappointment as you hold out a little longer for a sex scene. But sore willy and reader superiority complex slowly transforming the disappointment into enlightened mental masturbation.
>>
This book has a beautiful prose but I still can't continue reading it just because of the protagonist.

Great book, definitely a classic. But not for me.
>>
>>8255232

Humbert's cool except for the fucking kids part but even then he explains himself so articulately and gives you so many emotional and historical justifications for his slimy ways. His smugness and callousness towards everyone except Lolita is fine by me.
>>
>>8255351
Yeah.

He's the prime example on how to write a pervert.
>>
>>8255051
My buddies gf just read this. Really thought she'd be the type of person to throw up, but all she got was a little nauseous at some parts. Maybe she's fucking lying about just getting a "little" nauseous, and actually was sufficiently nauseous to vomit.
>>
>>8255351
>>8255232
Humbert really is brilliant. No denying he's uncomfortable to follow, but Nabokov does such an effective job in humanising him rather than the easier route of demonising him for his paedophilic ways. You don't need to condone Humbert in any way - and the character attempts to persuade you with his silver-tongued unreliability as a narrator - but overall he's a rational and intelligent enough character that you can't help be somewhat empathetic towards his views.

I wish more characters were as dangerous as Humbert Humbert. He's not likeable or admirable but he gets you to question your own perspective on the subject matter and that's a very uncomfortable challenge.
>>
>>8255361
The book's kinda uncomfortable to read at times but I don't see how anyone could become nauseous from reading it, unless if your mate's GF is a conservative christian who is completely unaware of the atrocities in the world, and she has a stomach weaker than paper.
>>
Nauseous? Some part of American Psycho turn my stomach a bit (the corpse-cooking, etc.), but Lolita is so damn mild in content, even if it weren't couched in elegant prose, that I can't even call it disturbing.
>>
>>8255371
Well her parents are hippies, but she fits a similar bill. Wanted us to turn off deadliest warrior because there guns and people dying, and was even unhappier with 1000 ways to die. I mean, I'm pretty sure what happens in that book is rape.
>>
>>8255051
I loved the book. I also consider myself a "normie". I don't think you need to be an edgelord to appreciate good (albeit controversial) literature.
>>
>>8255051
Lolita is literally the funniest book I've ever read.
>>
>>8256139
yeah that climax at the end with the gun and the stares. I rarely actually lol when reading, but that was amazing.
>>
>>8256154
My favorite part of the book. Especially when the guy rolls over dead, and his guests are all like "lol u ok?"
>>
it's literally a comedy, nabokov barely wrote anything else
>>
No one outside of 4chan takes it seriously, nor do I. I picture the people who like this book as guys in their mid twenties wearing bathrobes and slippers, sipping black coffee and feeling superior to people despite the fact that they've never had sex.
>>
>>8257554

You should actually read it some time my man.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.