[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
horror - fantasy - present time or near future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 51Iy58x7SfL._SY400_.jpg (29 KB, 263x400) Image search: [Google]
51Iy58x7SfL._SY400_.jpg
29 KB, 263x400
I really like dark stories, where secrets of society keeps the world populace from the " truth " that magic and monsters are real.
There are many books that in somewhat fit the description... but I often find these books are lacking in at least one of the following departments: believable or likable characters, an interesting main plot, a dark atmosphere.
Monster Hunter inc. Really hit the spot...
It somewhat reminds me of man in black... The reader gets introduced into the " real " world, through the eyes of a newbie...
It's a little B-movieish but in a good way... it's play's with the protagonists and therefore the readers expectations... built's up the characters nicely... has a dark gritty tone, the main story is presented in a way that keeps you interested , and it makes fun of twilight... XD

Are there any other good books or book series of this genre and how is this genre called. There are the world of darkness books but those books have absolutely flat characters... In my experience
>>
>>8254194
>XD
>Making fun of Twilight, a book that was never meant to be taken so seriously and made specifically for YA and girls
Sounds like you should read Harry Potter, since that's basically what you described. Although I don't recommend you reading it (because hopefully you've passed that stage in your life) but id also recc Dantes Inferno, it has many good features you've mentioned and great imagery
>>
>>8254194
Also The Lion, The Witch and, The Wardrobe
>>
>>8254216
Dantes Inferno - really done - how ever not really a - present time story but could be with some small changes...
>>
>>8254221
Well before you say Percy Jackson that's all too much kid's and ya... I'm aiming more for adult ... Dark and Horror...
>>
>>8254324
Try goosebumps. Be sure to keep a thesaurus handy!
>>
Sorry I can't be of much help for stuff taking place in the present time, but if you ever want to dabble in the older works, then I'd recommend Jane Eyre.
It's more romantic than action, but it's definitely on the dark side and the characters are well done. Definitely some paranormal-esque Easter eggs in there. If you want less romance and feelsy, try Frankenstein.

Also Egar Allan Poe has some great short stories, but once again they're on the more poetic and romantic side rather than plot-driven.
>>
>>8254603
WHY WOULD YOU BUMP THIS THREAD
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.