[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /lit/ ever stopped reading a book simply because you didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Captur.png (378 KB, 671x349) Image search: [Google]
Captur.png
378 KB, 671x349
Has /lit/ ever stopped reading a book simply because you didn't like it, or it wasn't what you were expecting? How far into the book did you decide that you no longer wanted to read it? Pic related, within the first few chapters of each of these I wanted to throw them away, however I decided to finish each of these because I felt like they'd get better. They did not.

Have you ever stuck with a book until the end, even though you hated reading it? Does it feel like you have in a sense a moral obligation to finish for the sake of finishing what you started?
>>
I have a few books that I've dropped. Mostly it's related to a novel my mom suggested to me.

I'm not really enthusiast about Sookie Stackhosue mysteries since she gave me a later entry.

She enthused a bit about a male character being like a giant puppy, but I got creeped out by the character and the actor's voice in my head acting these lines.

I don't have a sense of moral obligation to finish the novel. And unless I have an advanced reader copy, I don't see a need to finish it.
>>
I've only stopped reading one novel, and that was Juliette.

I was about 150 pages in and never felt bad at all about dropping it.
>>
>>8247285
We read Go Ask Alice back in this one high school class. It was good for an unintended laugh or two because of how sensational and moralizing it was. The "twist" ending was so sloppy that it elicited a chuckle or two as well.
>>
>>8247285
> Have you ever stuck with a book until the end, even though you hated reading it? Does it feel like you have in a sense a moral obligation to finish for the sake of finishing what you started?

All the time. I finish whatever I read, even if I hate it. Partially I think it's my OCD-like tendencies to not leave things unfinished, but also partially because I suspect a book that lacks momentum early on could improve, and some books I've ended up enjoying more once I finished them than I initially did when I was in its earlier chapters.
>>
>>8247285
I tried reading Gravity's Rainbow in tenth grade, but it was way too much for me at the time. dropped it 50 pages in. I could tell I would enjoy it if I tried it later on.

I almost dropped the first and only Michael Chrichton book I read "Timeline" it was really boring and except for a small speech at the end it wasnt worth it at all.
>>
>>8247891
There's a part in the fourth hitchiker's where the author tells you you might as well skip to the last chapter because it's all shit. In hindsight I wish I would have taken the advice.
>>
>>8247899
Only telling kids that after four books is pretty heinous on his part.
>>
>>8247923
The fourth one is by far the worst though.
>>
File: the-final-testament.jpg (10 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
the-final-testament.jpg
10 KB, 260x400
I stopped reading this piece of shit after hate-reading two-thirds of it and no longer talk to the friend that recommended it to me. I tore it up before throwing it away because not even a hobo sifting through garbage for reading material should be desperate enough to put themselves through this crap.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.