[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Medieval Philosophers underrated, or its just me? I dont
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1467539318387.jpg (839 KB, 1828x2592) Image search: [Google]
1467539318387.jpg
839 KB, 1828x2592
Are Medieval Philosophers underrated, or its just me? I dont see Medieval Philosophy and Literature being discussed very much, compared with the Greeks and Late XIXth- Early XXth centuries.

Also, thread about Medieval lit. Any recommendations?
>>
Try again on the weekend
>>
Depends on where you're studying.

For med lit, read Chaucer in original language.
>>
>>8246826

Why?

Arent there Medieval /lit/ charts to post?
>>
>>8246233
No one posts about medieval philosophy because 99% of it is purely Christian and we're all a bunch of fedoralord atheists
>>
You should try Maimonides; his literary and medical philosophy is starting to outshine the Greeks and it's generally fun to see how he picks apart the Old Testament. Read Aquinas for Maimonides' aesthetics without the deconstruction.
>>
>>8246233
i've only ever read aquinas

just imagine any other philosopher but at the end of every sentence there's a reference to the bible and you'll see why no one reads these guys.
>>
>>8246233
also most of it is just attempting to reconcile the greeks with christianity so you might as well just read the greeks and the bible separately if you want the experience
>>
>>8247446
Nah, plenty of us are Christians and read medieval philosophy is mentioned often.
>>
>>8247452

Yeah, I am interested in generally medieval lit. Not only Philosophy and fiction, scientific texts from that era too, and poetry and that stuff.

About Medieval Philosophy, I've read about Saint Anselm's ontological argument. I dont think its fair to discredit these guys for adapting Greek Philosophy to Christianity, they tried to create new things too. The ontological argument even lasts to our days.
>>
>>8246233
You could try Heliand.

It's the new testament made into a sort of fanfic for barely Christian Saxons. Jesus Christ warrior chieftain, hands out loads of mead and dies on the cross laughing.
>>
>>8247631

Thank you Anon, that sounds awesome.
>>
File: 51hJBbr5xkL._SL500_.jpg (51 KB, 313x500) Image search: [Google]
51hJBbr5xkL._SL500_.jpg
51 KB, 313x500
>>8246233
>Are Medieval Philosophers underrated, or its just me? I dont see Medieval Philosophy and Literature being discussed very much, compared with the Greeks and Late XIXth- Early XXth centuries.
They all lean on some PRETTY big spooks except Averroes
>Any recommendations?
Poetic Edda and icelandic saga (sagadb.org)
Beowulf
The Saga of Volsungs
The Nibelungenlied
The Battle of Magh Rath
The Song of Roland
and
The Song of My Cid

Borders had a GREAT edition
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.