[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite interpretation/adaptation of Hamlet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12
File: AgenciaUN_20150529-03_02.jpg (284 KB, 1200x789) Image search: [Google]
AgenciaUN_20150529-03_02.jpg
284 KB, 1200x789
What's your favorite interpretation/adaptation of Hamlet?
>>
>>8234194
Бpáтья Кapaмáзoвы
>>
>>8234214
What the fuck
>>
>>8234328
Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>8234330
What does that have to do with Hamlet?
>>
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
>>
>>8234370
Why? Is the movie any good?
>>
>>8234391
I haven't seen the movie, or even a performance, but I read the play and I liked it a lot. I even performed a scene for my acting class
>>
>>8234401
You should watch the movie and get back to me.
>>
>>8234328

This thread really has fallen below the toilet
>>
>>8234354

here, this is for you too:
>>8234460
>>
>>8234460
>>8234463
I don't actively browse /lit/, I only came here once a few years ago when Ray Bradbury died.
>>
>>8234475

It shows. Whereof one does not know, thereof one must not speak.
>>
>>8234496
That's dumb as fuck.
>>
>>8234501
He's saying that one should not talk as if one knows something if one doesn't. What's so dumb about that?
>>
>>8234551
My bad I interpreted it as him saying I shouldn't post here if I don't lurk here.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-07-02-22h42m43s424.png (2 MB, 1920x1058) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-02-22h42m43s424.png
2 MB, 1920x1058
>>8234194
Harold & Maude (1971)
>>
I never fell for the Shakespeare meme.
>>
>>8234194

Branagh's tbqh
>>
>>8236203
I got it a few months ago, but I still haven't watched it because of how long it is.
>>
>>8234496
Nice misquote pseudo.
>>
>>8236249

If OP couldn't understand what I said, he sure as hell couldn't have parsed Witty's tautology.
>>
>>8234401
>>8234423
The movie is really very good and absolutely hilarious. Consider it a separate entity from Hamlet though - it uses the play to springboard on to its own themes, which are distinct from the ones explored in the Shakespeare play.

>>8234194
Probably the David Tennant one, he captures the fragility and indecision integral to Hamlet's character in a really nice way. The guy was born to play the role.
Branagh rates pretty low on this one IMO - his 'to be or not to be' is very aggressive and you don't really get that sense of a conflicted man at the nadir of his life that other productions achieve. Having said that, Branagh is excellent in Much Ado and i'd really recommend that film.
>>
Tyreese and the gook squad in Gangland treachery
>>
>>8234194
Zetsuen no Tempest
>>
i've only seen david tennant's hamlet and i didn't like it because i don't like modern dress adaptations of old shit.
>>
>>8237236
>i didn't like it because i don't like modern dress adaptations of old shit.
Please think about this for a second. I vomit a bit.
>>
>>8236212
Yeah, it's the complete play. One thing about that movie is that the lines are said quickly, because it contains everything.
>>
>>8237112
I agree that Branagh's Hamlet is pretty disappointing. The whole production is really over wrought and distracting.

Haven't seen his Much Ado, but I fucking love his Henry V though. He outdoes Olivier in that one.
>>
>>8236212
it's great
see 1948 one too
>>
I like Mel Gibson's.
>>
>>8234194

Macbeth
>>
K U R O S A W A

U

R

O

S

A

W

A
>>
>>8234194
You already posted the best
>dat scene where he and Laertes jump into Ophelia's grave
>>
>>8237262
>>8237501
>>8237618
So should I just skip to Branagh's? I tried giving David Tennant's a try, but he's too silly. And I got bored by Benedict Cumberbatch pretty quickly.
>>
>>8238656
I personally love Branagh's.

I think his overt stage acting gives Hamlet's character an added believability and stokes the flames of the old "was he crazy or was it a trick" debate.
>>
>>8237518
Why?

>>8238671
I'll watch it tomorrow.
>>
>>8237112
>Probably the David Tennant one, he captures the fragility and indecision integral to Hamlet's character in a really nice way. The guy was born to play the role.
Seriously? Like I said here: >>8238656, I tried watching Tennat's and it came off to me like he was overracting, simultaneously too serious and not serious enough. He's not the best actor.
>>
>>8237136
What are you even trying to say?

>>8237549
Didn't Kurosawa do business Hamlet? What did you like better about it?
>>
>>8237527
explain yourself
>>
>>8238739
Hamlet is Macbeth in purgatory.
>>
>>8239032
That doesn't even make any sense.
>>
>>8239875

time to let it die and end its misery
>>
>>8240193
no
>>
>>8234601

You are an idiot.
>>
>>8240255
Shakespeare is overrated.
>>
Fifteen minute Hamlet
>>
File: Shakespeare-Mask-2.jpg (764 KB, 870x1128) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare-Mask-2.jpg
764 KB, 870x1128
>>8240352
>I read 1 or 2 Shakespeare plays and did not understand what I was reading
>>
>>8240387
I understood that it was fucking boring.
>>
>>8240383
15 minute Hamlet?
>>
>>8237518

>I like Mel Gibson's.

Me too. Is one of the few Hamlets that has a youthful aggressiveness and stormy behavior. For example, I love the scene where he dances with the actors of The Mousetrap, after the King was disturbed by the play: he grabs one of them and starts to jump like a lunatic.

Most Hamlets are soft, gentle, vegetative; they don’t seem like young men who like sports and are influential at court; they seem like effeminate rhetoricians who are too fragile and shy for this world: they don’t have nothing of a savage and competitive wildness in them.
>>
>>8234551
>>8234571
I feel like I should point out that he's quoting the first line of the Tractatus.
>>
>>8240462
what's Tractatus
>>
>>8240462
I think that's the last line.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2td3jlm6pMw
>>
File: hamlet-rsc-2016-2.jpg (81 KB, 1140x641) Image search: [Google]
hamlet-rsc-2016-2.jpg
81 KB, 1140x641
Black Hamlet
>>
The Lion King
>>
I would adapt Hamlet to the 1990's Seattle Grunge scene.

The entire text is translated to ironic witticism and all the action takes place on a couch while the characters channel surf infomercials.

The murders take place only symbolically (someone's can of beer is spilled, someone is offered a hit but smokes the whole bowl) until the final act (the only set change) when Hamlet shoots up his school before turning the gun on himself.

It would be called "Conscience doth make Consumers"
>>
I liked Nietzsche's critique of Shakespeare, brief as it was.

Namely, that he was writing for the rabble/masses first and foremost - and so he had to find his diamonds/coal in a great deal of coal.
>>
>>8240987
Doing this would make you very famous in New York art circles unironically.
>>
>>8240992

*hide them
>>
>>8240976
You got to see this? How was it?
>>
>>8240987
That sounds like complete shit.

>>8240997
No, it wouldn't.
>>
>>8241050
I didn't see it live, unfortunately, but there is a recording.

It's fantastic. The mix of African and European, the contemporary and the Shakespearean, it's all used to great effect; the use west African drumming throughout the production is especially good. It's RSC so of course it's well performed but among RSC performances I've seen it's easily in the top 3. They also didn't just leave the critique of racial power structures to the cast being predominantly black, which was cool.
>>
Every adaptation of Hamlet I watch I get so bored I gotta turn it off.
I'm 40 minutes in and he's only just seeing his father's ghost for the first time.
>>
>>8241074
Did they update the dialogue? And which two other performances are in your top 3?
>They also didn't just leave the critique of racial power structures to the cast being predominantly black
What are you saying?

The reason why I made this thread, and keep making Hamlet threads is because I'm trying to do my own adaptation, but it's difficult because I can't relate to the character and I'm having trouble deciding how to adapt it. I wanted to do something like Michael Mann's Manhunter, turning it into a psychological thriller, but now I get the feeling it should be a comedy with musical performances.
>>
>>8237112
>the David Tennant one

Seriously? He's just an abominable over-actor. Plus Mariah Gale's Ophelia was a travesty, and they had Hamlet simply induce Claudius to kill himself after inflicting a grazing hand wound, which has precisely none of the classical, restorative violence of Shakespeare's scene.
>>
>>8241101
Adapt it for theater?

I'm trying to do something similar for a book I'm writing but my idea is completely different from yours.

I'm sort of hesitant to post hamlet questions here because the last time I did based on what I was reading from Ernest Jones I got bad answers.

If you're looking for a completely dry adaptation MST3k made fun of one starring Maximilian Schell

If you're looking for the second latter you mentioned, Lion King is basically an adaptation of hamlet. Lion King referenced Rosencratz and Guilderstein are dead by making the third sequel about Timon and Pumba

I hear the oliver one and the Zeffirelli one focus heavily on the oedipal complex. My high school teacher sort of avoided the Zeffirelli one because she thought it was gross.

Then there's the branagh one but as I've said the lines are recited very quickly and regardless it's 4 hours long.
>>
>>8241101
>Did they update the dialogue?
It's minimally abridged, keeps faithful to the "original" text for the most part
What I mean by "contemporary" is an aesthetic that comes through in the stage design and costuming, and this aesthetic melding with the aesthetic of Shakespearean language
>And which two other performances are in your top 3?
I admit that I've only seen three RSC productions, the Patrick Stewart [best] (2008) and the David Tennant [worst] (2009) in addition to Paapa Essiedu (2016)

>What are you saying?
I'm saying that the use of a black cast isn't the only subversive element in the production, and that whiteness, Britishness especially, is critiqued in the production. There is a relentless "blackness" to this interpretation, and the use of black bodies is not where the blackness stops.

> I wanted to do something like Michael Mann's Manhunter, turning it into a psychological thriller, but now I get the feeling it should be a comedy with musical performances.
In my mind, a straight reproduction of Hamlet is a psychological thriller. That said, there's more than enough levity in Hamlet to warrant expanding upon a comedic interpretation.
>>
Assuming you mean film adaption, the one with Mel Gibson.

Branagh comes off as too full of himself in all his productions (but that works as a good thing in Much Ado About Nothing, though I still prefer the 2012 version).
>>
>>8241172
When they're carrying Hamlet out in the branagh one he is positioned with his arms out like Christ
>>
>>8241159
Adapt it for film. And by completely dry you mean boring, correct? And I suppose The Lion King is Hamlet as a comedy with musical performances, but mine would be nothing like that.

>>8241169
>the Patrick Stewart [best] (2008)
Patrick Stewart played Hamlet in 2008?
And this black Hamlet sounds very intriguing, I must find a recording.
>In my mind, a straight reproduction of Hamlet is a psychological thriller.
I wanted it to have the same feel as an 80's action thriller, putting emphasis on Hamlet's investigation and anxiety to the point where I considered making Hamlet a police detective, but he's just not that kind of character.
>That said, there's more than enough levity in Hamlet to warrant expanding upon a comedic interpretation.
The thing is though, it's going to be an adaptation of Macbeth too. I plan to conflate the characters of Claudius/Macbeth and Gertrude/Lady Macbeth.
>>
>>8241172
I mean any and all adaptations. I gotta give the Mel Gibson one a chance.
>>
>>8241213
>I wanted it to have the same feel as an 80's action thriller, putting emphasis on Hamlet's investigation and anxiety
> it's going to be an adaptation of Macbeth too. I plan to conflate the characters of Claudius/Macbeth and Gertrude/Lady Macbeth

I think you may be a bit too ambitious in scope
>>
>>8241240
I most definitely am, but you didn't have to reveal my spoiler, anon.
>>
>>8241213
Yeah. The whole idea of MST3k is that they're making fun of bad movies.

I noticed the claudius macbeth comparison and make a post in a thread about shakespeare awhile ago

other comparisons I've noticed are Lucifer and the garden of eden in Paradise Lost and Hamlet and the unweeded garden. Rebelling.

One thing that worries me is that some of the ideas I'm using are too big to be put into my writing. I was wondering if you have the same worry when you're trying to adapt Hamlet into a movie.

I think I remember seeing Patrick Stewart as the ghost of hamlet sr and claudius in that tennant version.
>>
>>8241213
Oh, also I meant Patrick Stewart 1980.

Not sure why I wrote 2008 lmao, he was way too old
>>
>>8241248
>I was wondering if you have the same worry when you're trying to adapt Hamlet into a movie.
I do. I feel like combining the stories might prove to be too complicated, I have a very small budget, I'm updating the story so I need to rewrite it completely (and make it good), and I need to find a building I can shoot in seeing as how I'm replacing the kingdom with a business.
What exactly are you writing?

>>8241251
Imagine an old ass Hamlet whining about his mother getting remarried to his 90 year old uncle who's on his deathbed.
>>
>>8241247
OH NO SOMEONE WILL STEAL YOUR IDEA OFF OF 4CHAN AND MAKE MILLIONS FROM IT, YOU FOOL WHY DID YOU REVEAL IT?
>>
>>8241283
no need to be rude
>>
>>8241272

I was born and raised in a cult that done some shady sexual stuff back in the day. About 3 months ago there was a post your idea for a book thread and I posted about writing a story set in that cult. Some people liked it so I started thinking about what I should write about. After thinking about it I noticed many comparisons to Hamlet based on my situation. I guess that shows how great it was written. Anyway so I'm trying to write about what I've been experiencing and stories I know to make it match with hamlet's. I've managed to write like 20 pages so far but I know how the book is going to play out.
>>
>>8241305
What type of shady sex stuff?
>>
>>8241294
Fuck you
>>
>>8241319
before the AIDS scare using sex to get converts and money was a big thing. My leader tried staging a coup by having members sleep with high ranking officials of an Asian country and it nearly worked.
>>
>>8241332
I gotta read your book.
>>
>>8241337
I'll post it here once I'm done with it
>>
>>8241343
Just working on getting published first. I think a story like yours could find mainstream popularity.
>>
>>8241351
We'll see.
>>
bump the night away
>>
>>8241159
>Zeffirelli
my professor only showed us the scenes with the heaviest incestuous overtones and they're so cringy, not just because the incest but because they felt really forced and poorly acted/directed.
>>
>>8241332
would read.
>>
>>8242851
I really don't understand the incest angle.
>>
File: kaurismaki.jpg (154 KB, 1024x654) Image search: [Google]
kaurismaki.jpg
154 KB, 1024x654
K A U R I S M Ä K I
A
U
R
I
S
M
Ä
K
I
>>
>>8243661
Huh???
>>
File: Hamlet_Kaurismäki.jpg (352 KB, 1200x1431) Image search: [Google]
Hamlet_Kaurismäki.jpg
352 KB, 1200x1431
>>8243687
His version of is my favorite
>>
File: Hamlet_Kaurismäki1.jpg (298 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Hamlet_Kaurismäki1.jpg
298 KB, 1000x1500
>>8243687

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJa0lsBFEc
>>
>>8243855
>>8243897
So both this guy and Kurosawa did a business Hamlet. And then there's the Ethan Hawke one.
Thanks for the link, btw.
>>
The one where Hamlet and his lover Penelope are in the mob in the 1940s to 1960s, maybe earlier I don't recall. The bit at the denouement where they travel to the future only to find that it resembles the ORIGINAL setting of Hamlet (due to war/cultural devolution) and they have to save the "original" star-crossed lovers is genius. Raises many questions as well as two of my thumbs.
>>
>>8246545
That sounds completely made up.
>>
>>8246549
It's Ryan North's, IIRC.
>>
>>8246555
>To Be or Not to Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure, also referred to as To Be or Not to Be: That is the Adventure, is a 2013 novel by Ryan North, retelling the story of Shakespeare's Hamlet in a choose your own adventure format and mostly contemporary language. The initial run of the book was crowd funded through Kickstarter and published by charitable "uncorporation" Breadpig.

Is that what you're talking about?
>>
>>8246545
Anyone else notice that ALL of Shakespeare's plays work well as crime flicks?
>>
>>8246570
I bet King Lear and A Midsummer's Night Dream don't work well as crime flicks.
And Hamlet only works well as a crime flick from the perspective of an outside character.
>>
>>8246580
King Lear: A mob boss gives up his crime empire to his effeminate sons and spirals into madness as they fuck everything up.

A Midsummer's Night Dream: The fairies are criminals and exert their control with guns and money.
>>
File: 1434561789624.jpg (69 KB, 502x561) Image search: [Google]
1434561789624.jpg
69 KB, 502x561
>>8234194
So when he talks to the skull he's thinking about suiciding himself, right?
>>
>>8246608
Why not just genderswap it? Watching female criminals would be more interesting anyway.
>>
>>8244567
Yes, but they are quite different in tone

Kurosawa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2QHU6j3kOw

Kaurismäki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zP8lcL8vI
>>
>>8240992

Nietzsche was retarded and so was his critique of Shakespeare.
>>
>>8248061
Hamlet Goes Business looks more entertaining, I'm guessing it's a comedy.
>>
File: Kaurismäki.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Kaurismäki.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>8248680
Yeah, it's a comedy, but more importantly a Kaurismäki film. If you don't know him, I'd highly suggest checking him out
He's one of the important nordic directors, among Andersson, Von Trier, Dreyer and Bergman but he has a style very much unique, nothing in his films is very serious (maybe except for the Match Factory Girl and Lights in the Dusk) and they have immense artistic and comical values.
Imagine a humorous Robert Bresson who drinks and chainsmokes if it helps to figure him out

Ebert's review of Match Factory Girl
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-match-factory-girl-1990
and At the Movies review of The Man Without a Past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGFRMGq7Ac

some film clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRi3HwA6hdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxFCkoI6sBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7_0DmwY-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWR1dcCE7U0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMg3s97Jz_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3cbm4X0Ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7YIli0wgfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RA8f3FbEIo

Jonathan Ross's interview from 1991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZZbK0Rquo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5AFqsVTNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-Zt8MG6vE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdCB0Lbcep0
>>
>>8249307
Thanks for all of this, you really went up and out. I'd love to go through his filmography, but I can't even find a good download/stream for Hamlet Goes Business, his other movies might be even harder to find.
>>
>>8249329
His literature adaptations are not that well known/popular compared to his other stuff
In Europe it should be pretty easy to acquire his films, Criterion has published some of his films in the US but I have no clue who distributes him in Asia

If you live in the EU shipping the film from Finland is always an option
DVD: http://www.filmihulluleffakauppa.com/product.php?id_product=7833
Blu-ray: http://www.filmihulluleffakauppa.com/product.php?id_product=7714
>>
>>8249404
I'm in New York.
>>
>>8240976
lol I saw black woman Hamlet at the Wilma

it was very good
>>
>>8249491
Did she have big ass titties?
>>
File: Kaurismäki_for_ants.jpg (8 KB, 236x176) Image search: [Google]
Kaurismäki_for_ants.jpg
8 KB, 236x176
>>8249427
hmm, I don't know how things work over there but at least its on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Goes-Business-liikemaailmassa-Blu-Ray/dp/B00IZQQJ56

For his other films in America, it needs to be Criterion
https://www.criterion.com/explore/166-aki-kaurismaki

Criterion films are 50% off at Barnes and Noble atm, I think I'll do some shopping myself!
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/aki+kaurismaki?_requestid=559855
>>
>>8249514
This would all be really great if I had a job.
>>
>>8240987
I would set it to a college campus fraternity house.
>>
>>8249514
Kaurismäki wants to make a movie in Chinese?
>>
>>8234194
Hamlet 2000.

No, but seriously, the BBC Television Shakespeare adaptation from the '70s/'80s.
>>
>>8250565
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddq93hIpeRA
>>
>>8249529
huh, that's a whole other deal then
But since I wont let you empty handed in this thread, I'll give you his version of La Vie de Bohème

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjvZDUJuiqxsdKOaO-FE1b8KugY

also, if I'll go and find a DVD of his Hamlet anytime soon I could send it to you too, do you have an email
>>
>>8251449
Thank you, man. And my email is [email protected].
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.